• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving our Handhelds ( Nintendo / Sony ) from certain DOOM (aka Battery death)

Ma-Yuan

After this topic I got a bit thinking. Now I realize all my handhelds after the GBA will die because of this if i don't act ><.

My PSPs run without a Battery you just need a power Supply but I don't think is this an option with a Vita or a Switch and replacing those is also only temporary solution and the batteries you use as an replacment in the future will be worse then the original ones (see PSP...) . . .

But at least there is some hope if you act quick enough to have no damage to the actual hardware:

This site explains it very easy how to replace batteries or how to get to the batteries:

DS Family:

Original DS -> Easy Fix

DS Lite -> Easy Fix

DS I -> Easy Fix

DS I XL -> Easy Fix

3DS Family:

2DS -> Easy Fix

3DS -> Easy Fix

3DS XL -> Easy

New 3DS -> Easy Fix

New 3DS XL -> Easy Fix

Switch Family:

OG Switch -> Moderate difficulty and you need to be careful

Switch Lite -> couldn't find a guide yet only tear downs. Feel free to add one to the comments

PS Vita Family:

PS Vita Slim -> Easy Fix you still need to be careful

PS Vita original -> Easy Fix you still need to be careful

PSP Family:

Just open the the battery casing ;-)

Edit:

Here you find best case storage conditions.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is great reference material. I have nine handhelds in the house, not counting smartphones. This kind of maintenance is so obnoxious, but it goes with the territory I guess. Same thing goes with USB rechargeable batteries inside controllers like the PS3 and PS4. Those will go bad someday, too, and let me tell you, a PS4 controller is not something you want to open up and mess with parts. :messenger_grimmacing_

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Ah, I figured this PSP battery bulging must've become a sudden widespread issue. Happened to me and a friend. They've reached their expiration date, I guess.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Checked all my PSP batteries yesterday and yup....all 4 had the bulge. Even a few spare batteries I had (new in packaging) were bloated.

Need to run through all my gameboy units this weekend, so thanks for the tips!

Terce

Can anyone confirm if a PSP 2000/3000 battery replacement will fit in a 1000? I have a release 1000 and the battery lasts for like 30 minutes, it hasn't swollen but I'd like to replace it with a new one and it seems like the 2000/3000 ones are in much greater supply and cheaper. My understanding is that they're a bit smaller which indicates that it would "fit" but I don't know if that means the contacts won't be together consistently if there's room to move around. Anyone tried this?

Last edited:

MrRogers

Excellent post OP, im bookmarking this for future references, i think my 3DS is slowly dying at this point.

With all this talk about buldgeing batteries arond this forum, it looks like I need to go through all my handhelds to make sure they are ok. I tossed a few PSP batteries years ago, hopefully the last two are still good. Don't forget about the GBA Sp, GBA micro and the PSP Go, they all had a rechargeable batteries and aren't listed above.

TheContact

Great thread. My Vita would have an issue where if it was in sleep mode for a few seconds, the whole thing would turn off. I almost bought a new battery but I held a sequence of buttons down and it triggered a reset or something and then it fixed the issue. I use my Vita almost every day though and I hope the only thing that goes wrong with it is the battery.

TheContact

Can anyone confirm if a PSP 2000/3000 battery replacement will fit in a 1000? I have a release 1000 and the battery lasts for like 30 minutes, it hasn't swollen but I'd like to replace it with a new one and it seems like the 2000/3000 ones are in much greater supply and cheaper. My understanding is that they're a bit smaller which indicates that it would "fit" but I don't know if that means the contacts won't be together consistently if there's room to move around. Anyone tried this?

The contacts are the same but the size of the battery is smaller (thickness). You can use a psp 1000 battery inside a 2000 or even a 3000 but since the 1000 has a larger size, the back won't close. Since you're putting a smaller battery inside the 1000, you won't have any issues (except the battery won't hold as big of a charge as the original 1000 battery)

Last edited:
The contacts are the same but the size of the battery is smaller (thickness). You can use a psp 1000 battery inside a 2000 or even a 3000 but since the 1000 has a larger size, the back won't close. Since you're putting a smaller battery inside the 1000, you won't have any issues (except the battery won't hold as big of a charge as the original 1000 battery)
You can get battery doors that accomodate the larger battery. Thats what I did back in the day to get longer battery life with a 2000.

Terce

Sounds great, thanks for confirming. I figure I can just put a bit of foam in to make sure it doesn't wiggle around. Even with a smaller charge it will be better than my original battery, and hopefully not a risk of swelling like all the reports coming in

Pidull

This is exactly why I'm very much against built-in rechargeable batteries within my portable systems.

Would I take a portable Switch that took 4 AA batteries over the built-in battery? Yeah, I probably would. Same with a 3DS which would probably need a couple AA's to do the job.

edit - okay, I know little about electronics, you'd probably need way more than a few AA's for a Switch or 3DS.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I added some further informations gonna bring all my not used vitas to 40-50% charge and going to remove the batteries on my non used 3ds. Especially my Chotto Mario Club Nintendo 3DS ><

Had to open my Vita slim not long ago to repair a faulty analogue stick (Surprised it all comes as a complete unit for easy replacement) Only took around 5 minutes to do :messenger_sunglasses:

Can you get higher capacity batteries for the Vita? It's still my main handheld so would prefer a little more juice in the tank.

Tschumi

u should get an award for that, but i am really scared of taking my Vitas to bits like this :p I think it's okay though, I store them in reasonable temperatures...

Kamina

Golden Boy
My oldest Handheld with an integrated battery is a golden Zelda Advance SP, and that one is fine.
All the “younger ones” too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom