• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers are the Scum of the Earth and Why Best Buy Sucks

pkasho

Real gamers lining up are screwing scalpers from getting a system to eBay.

Works both ways.

Anyways, it sucks for everyone who didn't get to get one after lining up.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
borghe said:
But the fact still remains that Sony caused this entire situation by rushing to market with WAY to few units, just to get the marketing, free press, and mindshare so as not to lose any of that to their competitors. do they care that tens of thousands of people wasted away days of their lives, that people were mugged or shot, or that their product is being turned around and sold for a minimum of 3 times its value?

of course not, they got their message out. We're sony and everyone wants our system.

yeah, it sucks they don't have enough units, and it's their own stupid mistake.

Sony are hardly to be faulted however, if people get sucked in by the marketing and hype (again) and line up for days at a time just to have one.

indie85

Banned
Shig said:
All you guys who are defending scalpers are living in a vacuum.

My dad got me a SNES on launch day, totally out of the blue. Would that have happened if he had to wait in line for 3 days or pay 3x the price to a scalper? Hell the **** no. Had this eBay malarkey been going on then, one of the greatest memories in my life would not have been possible. I'd daresay many here would have similar fond memories ruined.

Scalpers are ensuring that systems are going to those that can afford to pay... given that, I'd venture a guess that the average kid getting one has a history of being spoiled and not really being very hard-up for a nice surprise. Lower/Middle-class parents want to do something special for their kids once in a while like my dad did for me, they've either gotta take precious days off of work or pay out the ass, both of which could really hurt the family.

I hope your kids want Hot Toy X for xmas some year and the prices are out of your reach, we'll see how you feel about the practice when your kid is sitting under the tree while you both think about how great it would have been to have what they really wanted in one of those opened presents.
QFT
Thinking about it, I only got into gaming when my dad managed to pick up a launch Megadrive in Japan just on the off chance. Would never happen today.

As for the capatalism schmuck, the moral principles of the majorty govern all else. Anyone who thinks the free market can have free reign is living in la la land, I would not be surprised in the slightest if this is the last time Ebay is allowed to have launch system auctions... by law.

Shinobi

Moderation Unlimited said:
Ticket scalping is already outlawed most places. What makes this situation any different than ticket scalping? Scalpers just take a resource that is scarce and make it more scarce by buying up all of the supply they can get their grubby little hands on. Do any of you guys think ticket scalping is a legitimate endeavor.

I can't wait to hear the responses to this post.

Since you're too clueless to figure it out, allow me to spell it out for you.

A ticket to a sporting event, comedy show or a concert is a one time event, with an extremely limited supply. If you miss that show or sporting event, you're out of luck.

A Playstation 3 is a product that'll eventually be produced in the tens of millions, and will be available to buy for the next decade.

Now if you can't see why scalping the latter isn't nearly as harmful as the former, then you need to re-enter the school system.

The only way console scalping is some sort of unethical act is if the PS3 was being sold at a one day price of say, 10 to 20 percent less then retail. In that case, there might be an argument. But that isn't the case...it's launch day price is going to be the same as the price it'll be a month from now, two months from now, and likely six months from now. And the game lineup will probably still be shit.

If some people have to wait six months, who's getting hurt? Does the world economy go into collapse as a result? Does the world eco-system get thrown out of balance? Of course not. If that was the case, Europe would already be ****ed.

Keep that in mind BTW...Europeans who were expecting to pick up the PS3 as soon as spring '06, might have to wait till the summer of '07 to get their greasy paws on one. No matter how bad you North American hardc0re gamers think you have it, they've got it worse. :lol

If everyone had got their PS3's, no one would give a shit about anyone who might've missed out. Unless it was some cute Korean girl. :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
veruca_salt.jpg

"BUT DADDY! IM A REAL GAMER! I WANT A
PS3 NOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!"

:lol

Coop said:
I like the comparison between robbing a bank and selling a PS3 on Ebay. :lol

:lol Just another example of how the grasp of reality is non-existant with a lot of people...

indie85 said:
QFT
Thinking about it, I only got into gaming when my dad managed to pick up a launch Megadrive in Japan just on the off chance. Would never happen today.

So you're telling me that you'll never have a chance to buy a PS3 for your child, because the scalpers scooped up most of the 250,000 PS3's? :lol This thread seriously needs a reality infusion...

Top Bottom