• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers' delight: Wii price surges to $500-600 on ebay, amazon marketplace

Google

I just picked up a Wii over teh weekend...

I'm probably going to wait a week, put it up on eBay, and try and finish Mario Galaxy before I have to ship it.

I'd be happy with that.

Slavik81

AstroLad said:
Fucking Canadians. First Rock Band, now this. We need some stricter laws/enforcement against this kind of BULLSHIT. Drives up prices for people here for whom the consoles are intended. Total garbage.
AstroLad said:
Oh the ironing. And I really wanted Nintendo to do a price boost for the holidays. Hell, they could have added a controller slot or something, called it Wii+, and sold it for $500 and obviously it still would have sold out.
AstroLad said:
If this is consumers falling for Reggie's "OMG there won't be enough, get your Wii now!" hype, can it really be considered "true demand"? Seems more like a house of cards than a strong castle....
What the hell? What's with the Wii-hate?

RumFore

Banned
I just got a Wii today but seeing this I think someone less fortunate can use it....for $500. Is this a good time to sell or wait until the middle of December? What are the chances of Nintendo giving everyone a happy Christmas and producing enough?

Baron

Jesus, those prices are insane. I won one of Amazon's discounted Wii systems on Thanksgiving and had every intention of keeping it and enjoying Mario Galaxy. For that kind of money though, I'm not so sure now. A premium 360 with a few games sounds reeeaally nice right now.

It's a good thing my Wii only cost me

79_dollars2.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Awntawn said:
At the same price point, you have to be. Just like you're an idiot if you pay a BMW's price for a Honda, no matter how much you love Hondas.

Yeah, but that is not comparing the same situation.

If Honda's were in ultra high demand and it outstripped supply like the Nintendo Wii, while the BMW had the opposite situation, then it wouldn't sound so stupid.

Yeah, I agree though, letting the consumer decide what price to pay for a product, how horrible. (sarcasm)

Awntawn said:
At the same price point, you have to be. Just like you're an idiot if you pay a BMW's price for a Honda, no matter how much you love Hondas.
But I can't drive the BMW to my favorite locales, Hondatown and Hondapark.

RumFore said:
I just got a Wii today but seeing this I think someone less fortunate can use it....for $500. Is this a good time to sell or wait until the middle of December? What are the chances of Nintendo giving everyone a happy Christmas and producing enough?

I'd wait until about the 10th of Dec. to unload it in an auction.

Petrae

Awntawn said:

But then it boils down to exclusives. Where are the equivalents of Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy for the PS3 or XB360? For many, it's not what's under the hood that is attractive in the Wii's case. It's the perceived uniqueness of what the Wii can do (Wiimote controls) versus the "been there, done that" that the PS3 and XB360 have.

Redd

Nice keep selling Wii. Sooo glad I got mine last year and held out for my other console this year, well worth it.

Smokey

OH FUCK

I'm tempted so very tempted..but Mario Galaxy..I love it..but I could get a could grip if I sold it...

Firewire

Banned
Baron said:
Jesus, those prices are insane. I won one of Amazon's discounted Wii systems on Thanksgiving and had every intention of keeping it and enjoying Mario Galaxy. For that kind of money though, I'm not so sure now. A premium 360 with a few games sounds reeeaally nice right now.

79_dollars2.gif

PStripple! Next year belongs to Sony when it comes to games! :D

pr0cs

I had a chance to buy a whole fucking case of the things and I passed on it.. I should have bought and resold them and had a very merry xmas indeed.

h3ro

Baron said:

79_dollars2.gif

I hate you... that is all...

haha congrats man, I voted Wii too... :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
While I agree that the Wii has a weak-as-hell library, I think it's a bit disgusting to neglect the fact that it's been out for only a year. What were the comparative libraries of the other gaming sensations? The games come AFTER the hardware is successful. The real problem is whether or not we'll get the kinda games we want.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Firewire said:
PStripple! Next year belongs to Sony when it comes to games! :D

Having the PS3 as my only console I can say this.

Sony's next year lineup is impressive, but saying it in the context of this thread is absurd. That is off topic territory (in regards to the intention of the thread).

AstroLad said:
If this is consumers falling for Reggie's "OMG there won't be enough, get your Wii now!" hype, can it really be considered "true demand"? Seems more like a house of cards than a strong castle....

What has happened to you? I swear you didn't use to be this way...

Firewire

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Having the PS3 as my only console I can say this.

Sony's next year lineup is impressive, but saying it in the context of this thread is absurd. That is off topic territory (in regards to the intention of the thread).

I know but he mentioned it would be attractive to sell his Wii and get a 360! I was just counter balancing things. Sorry!

Davidion

reilo said:
Not to mention the complete cluster fuck that people view the PS3 as inferior and won't spend $400-500 on it [especially the games, which is total bullshit], yet they'd gladly pay $500+ for a machine that should cost no more than $200.

I keep telling myself to never underestimate consumer idiocy, but I keep doing it.

But it is inferior.

I'm glad your misunderstanding didn't take too long to sort out.

Redd

Slavik81 said:
What the hell? What's with the Wii-hate?

I don't understand it myself. The hate is strong in this thread....why not enjoy the best of both worlds. Stop the hating

Awntawn

You can try to pretend to justify it all you want. How many of you smart and respectable non-idiots would actually pay $600USD for a Wii?

warthog

lol @ idiots paying that much. Some ppl just don't have any patience. Anyway I'm picking mine up on wednesday, normal price and not going on ebay, buth then again I live in Europe :D

Awntawn said:
You can try to pretend to justify it all you want. How many of you smart and respectable non-idiots would actually pay $600USD for a Wii?
I wouldn't pay a dollar above ANY item that's inflated due to demand.

Booda

Gigglepoo said:
I would never pay two times MSRP for anything. Patience is a virtue!

Neither would I. But if other people do, I'm not going to whip myself up into a self-righteous froth of nerd rage.

Half the people in the thread are fucking retarded and the rest are crying oh so many bitter tears. There is a reason this shit is selling out and its not because of Reggie or stupid consumers. Its the damn games and apparently the majority believes that Wii games are more fun than 360 or PS3 iterations.

Get over it already for Christ sake.

jvalioli

Baron said:

79_dollars2.gif
I hope you don't post this in every Wii thread. Being happy that you won is cool and all, but to go around posting it in threads where people are trying to find Wiis for either themselves or others is a real dick move.

GreenNight said:
Half the people in the thread are fucking retarded and the rest are crying oh so many bitter tears. There is a reason this shit is selling out and its not because of Reggie or stupid consumers. Its the damn games and apparently the majority believes that Wii games are more fun than 360 or PS3 iterations.

Get over it already for Christ sake.

This sentence pisses me off, greatly...but its the truth

These people are not idiots. They are making a rational transaction. To them the time they save plus the guarantee that their kid will be happy on xmas is of greater value than $250. It isn't really that hard to understand.

The real idiots are those who, at launch, bought PS3s they didn't want in hopes of selling them for thousands. :lol That was not such a profitable fad. What a difference a year makes.

mj1108

warthog said:
lol @ idiots paying that much. Some ppl just don't have any patience. Anyway I'm picking mine up on wednesday, normal price and not going on ebay, buth then again I live in Europe :D

Patience? Patience would have been a rational thing to say last Christmas when the system just launched....but now here we are a year later.

Iwata: "See, we have no problem selling our system for $600"

Baron

jvalioli said:
I hope you don't post this in every Wii thread. Being happy that you won is cool and all, but to go around posting it in threads where people are trying to find Wiis for either themselves or others is a real dick move.

Oh come now, I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just trying to inject a bit of whimsy into the proceedings. You won't see me do it again.

thorns

Banned
Seriously people who say that "people who pay $500 for wii are stupid, wii should be worth $100" are fucking retarded themselves. People pay for what they think is fun and worth having and what their kids want, and apparently it's Wii they want, not PS3 or 360. How much it costs to manufacture the system is irrelevant.

Mamesj

Banned
AstroLad said:
Fucking Canadians. First Rock Band, now this. We need some stricter laws/enforcement against this kind of BULLSHIT. Drives up prices for people here for whom the consoles are intended. Total garbage.

laws/enforcement against the most fundamental aspect of capitalism (supply/demand)? riiiight.

before anyone bitches about the sellers, take a second to recognize that it's actually the buyer's demand that helps prices hit this mark.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
BlueTsunami said:
You people already with a Wii should seriously sell yours off. You've already had fun with SMG, I'm sure a month without the lil' guy wouldn't hurt you. You would make at least double the amount you spent on the thing. Its a no brainer.

Thats a cool $250 pocket change, nearly enough to get you a 360 :>

I just bought a Wii last week and finished SMG over Thanksgiving break. That's about all I wanted a Wii for so I was thinking about selling it anyway. I didn't know prices were still so high, this is ridiculous.

Vieo

BlueTsunami said:
You people already with a Wii should seriously sell yours off. You've already had fun with SMG, I'm sure a month without the lil' guy wouldn't hurt you. You would make at least double the amount you spent on the thing. Its a no brainer.

Sure, in theory it sounds like a good idea, but who's to say Wii shortages will be over after Christmas? You might sell your's off then next thing ya know you're lining up in April 2008 trying to get one.

1-D_FTW

I sold my unwanted Wii for a little over cost this summer. I really should have picked one up before Super Mario Galaxy hit. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of buying and selling. But I would have for a couple hundred profit.

Count Dookkake said:
These people are not idiots. They are making a rational transaction. To them the time they save plus the guarantee that their kid will be happy on xmas is of greater value than $250. It isn't really that hard to understand.

The real idiots are those who, at launch, bought PS3s they didn't want in hopes of selling them for thousands. :lol That was not such a profitable fad. What a difference a year makes.

I arrived at Gamestop 15 minutes before it opened and placed my preorder. Then on release date, I picked up the PS3, listed it as a BIN for 2000.00 + shipping. My net profit was 1250 for under an hour worth of work.

I'd never do it again (with all the risks), but it certainly worked that time.

Talamius

Green Shinobi said:
At least when the NES, PS1 and PS2 were dominating, they had unarguably the best software lineup on the market.

The sight of a console with far and away the worst software lineup enjoying similar dominance is just a complete travesty.

:lol

Going by US releases only, here's the year 1 lineups of the aforementioned:

NES released in '85 alongside such glorious titles as Donkey Kong Jr. Math and Gyromite. Your big titles were SMB1 and EXCITEbike ( ;)). No Zelda and Mega Man. No Final Fantasy. No...pretty much anything till '87 when the classics started rolling in.

PS1 released in '95. Three high end titles for the time: Rayman , Battle Arena Toshinden (big at the time) and Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer. The rest? Crap like SF: The Movie and Kileak. FF7, MGS and friends didn't come for a couple years.

PS2 released in '00 and didn't really get rolling until Christmas '01. It launched with Madden and Fantavision. A full year later GTA3 and MGS2 hit.

My point is give the lineup time. The DS year 1 lineup was godawful and look where it is now.

Top Bottom