• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers' delight: Wii price surges to $500-600 on ebay, amazon marketplace

Redd

M3wThr33 said:
The Wii's a goddamn Scion xB.

You can't afford a REAL vehicle and for some reason you're too stuck up to ever consider buying a used vehicle, so you end up plunking down cash on the cheapest thing you could buy, even though it's ugly as all hell. But when people ask you why you bought it, instead of telling the truth (That you have no taste) you tell them that you like how spacious your fucking toaster is.

What, you do realize many Wii owners have other consoles right. Your way off too people are paying over 500 dollars for the wii. They could get the other consoles but some people dont want too.

Vieo

Gigglepoo said:
It works because some people buy cars because of its image and those same people are buying a video game console because of its image. There isn't a tight analogy, though.

Who the hell buys a console for it's image? I mean, you can't exactly put a PS3 on a gold chain and wear it around your neck.

ksamedi

Fallout-NL said:
I can't imagine anyone buying the Wii for its software (or you'd have to want SMG real bad)

Its not that bad actually. Fire Emblem, Mario Galaxy, Wiisports, Zack and Wiki, All the party games, Metroid, Trauma Center, Zelda, Resident evil and light gun type games and what not. Not a bad lineup at all.

Gigglepoo

Mamesj said:
so basically, you're just pissed because they can throw around money like this. :lol

I highly disagree with your line in the dirt between the time gamers and non-gamers buy systems, but I do agree that these aren't gamers buying these things. they're parents buying them for their kids and people who want to give impressive gifts to others. who's to say the recipients aren't going to get a lot out of it...

Eh, I get annoyed when people waste money. And food. I really hate seeing people throw out food.

To your video game point, I did paint a broad stroke. Obviously, that's not entirely true. My point is that the Wii is selling for $600 because of image. We can list great games until we're blue in the face, but it's selling like hotcakes because it has been deemed "The Hot Thing." Do you really think people are paying $600 for Mario and Fire Emblem? I don't.

Vieo said:
Who the hell buys a console for it's image? I mean, you can't exactly put a PS3 on a gold chain and wear it around your neck.

People easily swayed by marketing.

Arde5643

Fallout-NL said:
I can't imagine anyone buying the Wii for its software (or you'd have to want SMG real bad).

They didn't fix their Gamecube by adding software, they just gave it motion controls.
Joke post or joke poster? Or both?

I can't tell - the post sounds too idiotic to be true.

Booda

Gigglepoo said:
The fact that people are scrambling to get another product proves they aren't happy at all. They only want what other people have deemed "Must Have" without ever forming an opinion for themselves.

I think you're painting with a very broad brush here. I'm sure there's a fair number of Wii-seekers who just want the New (Year-Old) Hotness, but a lot of people want it because they tried it out at a friend's or family member's and really liked it. Tagging everyone who's buying (or overpaying for) the Wii as a member of the great sheeple herd is kind of ridiculous, IMO.

M3wThr33

Banned
Redd said:
What, you do realize many Wii owners have other consoles right. Your way off too people are paying over 500 dollars for the wii. They could get the other consoles but some people dont want too.
I got a Wii and a PS3.

I just hate the goddamn Scion xB so much and it became a cartalk thread.

Firewire

Banned
Vieo said:

Gawd! Please don't make me do a photoshop with Mister T! :lol

AstroLad said:
The first GameDay was huge. Sure they improved the formula, but it was the only viable next-gen football option and really took sports games to next-gen as crazy as that sounds now. imo PS had a very respectable early lineup, much more so than PS2 (as awesome as SSX was).

Gameday was revolutionary at the time (I can't even fathom playing a football game without Icon passing) but did it reflect in Gameday's sales? From what I remember, Gameday really took off the year after the PS1 launch.

And honestly, the PS2's first year was just horrible in comparison. It was TTT, Ridge Racer and SSX for months before the good titles started showing up in droves. The PS3 wasn't the only system where I heard "Wait for Metal Gear Solid" for months at a time.

Redd

M3wThr33 said:
I got a Wii and a PS3.

I just hate the goddamn Scion xB so much and it became a cartalk thread.

Sorry lol, yeah I cant stand Santurns myself. Every time I see a Santurn owner I want to hurt them so bad. If you can afford a Saturn ffs get a different car.

Gigglepoo

Booda said:
I think you're painting with a very broad brush here.

I used that exact term in post #154. :D

As great as the Wii is (and I do enjoy my Wii), it is selling because popularity is a rolling snowball.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mamesj said:
I'm sure Nintendo knows this better than anyone, judging by the "most consoles shipped" graph...your proposition of banning ebay sales can lick my nuts :D

What are you saying? I'm just saying that--all things being equal--I'd rather Nintendo, the manufacturer and developer, pocket the surplus than a bunch of middlemen. I don't really see that as a particularly contentious position to anyone but professional middlemen.

ksamedi

Gigglepoo said:

As great as the Wii is (and I do enjoy my Wii), it is selling because popularity is a rolling snowball.

Just accept its something truly new and people like it. Thats why it sells.

Petrae

Talamius said:
DD2 was a far superior game to the mediocre 1 (and is still one of my favorite PSX games). Gameday's popularity really took off with '97 and peaked with '98. Tekken 2 was right at the end of year 1 (late August) so there was still a wait. The only one I'd give you
is Resident Evil, forgot that one. My bad :(

I respect your opinion regarding Destruction Derby versus its sequel-- but, at the time, there really was nothing like Destruction Derby... mediocre or not. The first game was more about damage than racing, whereas the sequel tended to even the importance of the two factors (and some of the jumps were sick).

I am surprised that you decided to write off Jumping Flash!, which was a pretty unique experience for the time (3D platforming and shooting). Warhawk was also a damned good game, as long as you overlook the criminally cheesy FMV sequences between stages. :D

I do see the underlying point that you're making. To get a gem like Super Mario Galaxy within the first year of the Wii's release-- plus really good games like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3-- that actually makes the Wii's first year a solid one in terms of software, and there's still years to come.

Mamesj

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Eh, I get annoyed when people waste money. And food. I really hate seeing people throw out food.

To your video game point, I did paint a broad stroke. Obviously, that's not entirely true. My point is that the Wii is selling for $600 because of image. We can list great games until we're blue in the face, but it's selling like hotcakes because it has been deemed "The Hot Thing." Do you really think people are paying $600 for Mario and Fire Emblem? I don't.

People easily swayed by marketing.

depends on who you mean by "people." the gift buyers who are paying this much aren't, maybe the people who are receiving the systems want them for those games. I don't know about "image" though. A lot of folks who said the Ipod was all image also proposed that MP3 cds in a portable discman was just as good. I think what happens is people play Wii sports and the viral effect takes over. The system is still viewed as something primarily for kids and a few one-off parents/grannies.

food wasting is annoying, I'll give you that :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DeaconKnowledge said:
Gameday was revolutionary at the time (I can't even fathom playing a football game without Icon passing) but did it reflect in Gameday's sales? From what I remember, Gameday really took off the year after the PS1 launch.

Yeah, I'm just talking about game quality. I thought it sold well, but tbh I don't remember.

ksamedi

Gigglepoo said:
Why weren't people paying $600 for one in September?

Because it wasn't as hot. Now its much more out there and everybody heard of it. The demand has grown since launch. Wiisports and games like it are the perfect Wiiseller. People play it a couple of times, have the time of there life and decide to buy one as well. More people wanting to buy means prices are higher.

Gigglepoo said:
Why weren't people paying $600 for one in September?

Because it wasn't the holiday season.

Wii has been deemed by a few outlets as this year's "It" thing. On that basis yes I agree that people are buying it for image. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Wii is successful in spite of its game library. The games are the reason the damn thing's the "it" thing in the first place.

Vieo

I'm wondering if I should try to get one from the Nintendo World Store. I live in NYC and my mornings are pretty much wide open. Considering how high the prices are on eBay, I'm willing to bet there will be groups camping there 24/7.

Mamesj

Banned
AstroLad said:
What are you saying? I'm just saying that--all things being equal--I'd rather Nintendo, the manufacturer and developer, pocket the surplus than a bunch of middlemen. I don't really see that as a particularly contentious position to anyone but professional middlemen.

well, all things aren't equal. I'm saying Nintendo is shipping and selling as much as possible. They can't keep up with demand, so this is what happens.

on a side note, I'd like to know how you define professional middlemen. To me, that's Best Buy and Circuit City as well as Ebay seller #1 and Ebay seller #2.

Gigglepoo

ksamedi said:
Because it wasn't as hot.

Exactly. The quality hasn't appreciatively increased in the past month but the price tag has. I believe that is because the Wii has been dubbed "Hotness" and people need to have the hottest thing around.

However, the main reason it has sold consistently well for the past year is because it's fun. "Fun" was only worth $250 last month, though.

DeaconKnowledge said:
But let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Wii is successful in spite of its game library.

I never said that. My beef is with over zealous consumers, not the Wii.

Booda

Gigglepoo said:

Great minds think alike.

I agree. It just sounds like you think that snowball isn't rolling over anyone except posers who want the new hot thing. We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Talamius said:
PS2 released in '00 and didn't really get rolling until Christmas '01. It launched with Madden and Fantavision. A full year later GTA3 and MGS2 hit.

Yea, let's pretend that the PS2 had nothing to play for a year. Let's ignore these titles that were released after launch but before October '01:

Onimusha
ATV Offroad Fury
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal: Black
ICO
Escape from Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 3
Red Faction
Zone of the Enders
Dark Cloud
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Tokyo Xtreme Racer

:|

Fallout-NL said:
I can't imagine anyone buying the Wii for its software (or you'd have to want SMG real bad).

You don't have to imagine, I'm right here - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There are far more games I want for Wii than 360 or PS3. And it has nothing to do with being a "casual" or whatever - I've been gaming since Odyssey2 and have mulitple systems in various rooms of my house. It's called a preference, most people have one.

Well this kinda sucks for me. I sold mine too soon it seems.

Only got the $425 I asked for for my lot. Ah well, I'll keep the clear conscience.

Gigglepoo

Booda said:
I agree. It just sounds like you think that snowball isn't rolling over anyone except posers who want the new hot thing. We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

I just think there are a lot more posers in the world than genuine fans of Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wiki.

ksamedi

Gigglepoo said:
Exactly. The quality hasn't appreciatively increased in the past month but the price tag has. I believe that is because the Wii has been dubbed "Hotness" and people need to have the hottest thing around.

However, the main reason it has sold consistently well for the past year is because it's fun. "Fun" was only worth $250 last month, though.

Well, I think it has more to do with more people that spread the word about the Wii, like a virus. The more people get infected, the faster the virus will spread. I think a lot of people tried it and liked it but were waiting for the Winter to buy the Wii as gifts or for them selves. If you decide to buy something, its hard to wait it out for 2 months.

radjago

Green Shinobi said:
The Wii is beating the tar out of two systems with far and away better software lineups thanks to a novelty control scheme. That's why people get pissed.
I am absolutely baffled as to why Microsoft or Sony have not just outright copied Nintendo and put out some pointing/motion-sensing device with a collection of mini games and marketed it to the Wii-too crowd.

gkrykewy said:
The prices being seen today are (I think) higher than at any other point, including post-launch last year.

Amazon Marketplace current lowest price is $583 and change: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VXBAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Recent completed ebay listing for $550 + $35 for shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nintendo-Wi...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are any NYC gaffers going to start lining up at the Nintendo World Store each morning to buy a Wii for resale? I'm sure some will (not gaffers, necessarily).

This is staggering, and cannot be entirely explained by Canadian vultures swooping in to take advantage of the recently deceased US dollar.
Eh. Look at the bid history of that thing. If I were selling it, I'd be highly skepticle I was actually going to get paid that much until I saw the money in my PayPal account. Noob bidders fucking suck and the highest established bidder only went into the four hundreds.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mamesj said:
well, all things aren't equal. I'm saying Nintendo is shipping and selling as much as possible. They can't keep up with demand, so this is what happens.

on a side note, I'd like to know how you define professional middlemen. To me, that's Best Buy and Circuit City as well as Ebay seller #1 and Ebay seller #2.

Oh, I'd rather not get into Definition Wars. Suffice it to say that Nintendo sell to retail outlets at fixed prices and those outlets get some marginal profit from them as well as the better margins associated with games and peripherals for those systems. They're not really what I would throw into the profit-capturing group I would describe (except when they do shit like forced bundles, of course). Don't get me wrong, I'm no defender of retail outlets that have consistently done their best to keep digital distribution pricing unreasonably elevated.

Rather, I am referring to the guys who use any means necessary to get a console from outlets where those consoles would otherwise be available to end consumers) so that they can capture that excess profit. It's no secret that I'm not as Wii-crazy as some (though I do own a Wii, which makes me pretty great), but if people think the Wii is an amazing product (be it for the controls, the games, whatever) and they really would pay in excess of what Nintendo is charging for it, I'd rather Nintendo get at least some of that excess benefit--this is what I mean by all things equal. They're the ones that poured the money into R&D, and the ones that have developed games like Wii Sports and SMG, and bet a lot on a novel, seemingly insane, control system, so more power and money to them.

radjago said:
I am absolutely baffled as to why Microsoft or Sony have not just outright copied Nintendo and put out some pointing/motion-sensing device with a collection of mini games and marketed it to the Wii-too crowd.
Standards. :D

radjago

_leech_ said:
Yea, let's pretend that the PS2 had nothing to play for a year. Let's ignore these titles that were released after launch but before October '01:

Onimusha
ATV Offroad Fury
Silent Hill 2
Twisted Metal: Black
ICO
Escape from Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 3
Red Faction
Zone of the Enders
Dark Cloud
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Tokyo Xtreme Racer

:|
Don't forget Klonoa 2!

Booda

Gigglepoo said:
I just think there are a lot more posers in the world than genuine fans of Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wiki.

Maybe. The real question is:

Wii Sports/Wii Play fans > posers?

Gigglepoo

radjago said:

Eh, there is still a huge market for traditional games. Anything MS or Sony could release now would be a mere imitations anyway. I'd rather have high quality traditional software than low quality "Me too!" games.

Booda said:
Maybe. The real question is:

Wii Sports/Wii Play fans > posers?

Posers > all.

Mamesj

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

sorry to say this but....gaming just isn't "cool" that. people still view it as something mostly for kids, unless you're a 20-something guy playing Halo 3.

Gigglepoo

Mamesj said:
sorry to say this but....gaming just isn't "cool" that. people still view it as something mostly for kids, unless you're a 20-something guy playing Halo 3.

Hey! I'm a 20-something guy who (used to, before my X360 broke) plays Halo 3!

The Wii is an exception. It is cool. It does have front page stories in Newsweek and USA Today devoted to it.

radjago said:
Do you think they need to?

Point of the matter is simple.

Wii fans: We're going to win. Microsoft and Sony are doing the "same old, same old" and have nothing for everyone.=BULLSHIT

360 fans:
Who cares, we're stuck comfortably in second and sales are still good for the 360. Not to mention our game library beats all the rest.

PS3 fans: Wait till 2008.

And you know what's common between all of these systems? EVERYONE WANTS GAMES. Yet some people are to dense to admit that X game won't be on their favourite system and have to bring it up all the time.

I don't get this "race to the finish" mentality that so many of you guys have. If the Wii is selling well it's because of its IMAGE+Games, who here will say with a straight face that the Wii is only selling because of the games?

It's something new that we haven't seen before and it works very well at what it's meant to do. Simple as that.

radjago

TheRipDizz said:
Standards. :D
Are you saying ethical standards or quality standards?
Gigglepoo said:
Eh, there is still a huge market for traditional games. Anything MS or Sony could release now would be a mere imitations anyway. I'd rather have high quality traditional software than low quality "Me too!" games.
I'm not saying they should abandon their current target audience, but Microsoft is clearly trying to target the Wii demographic with the Arcade SKU, and Sony has already had success with the PS2 there. Who says Sony and Microsoft can't produce a peripheral and games of the same quality as Nintendo?

Booda

radjago said:

Because the me-too strategy pretty much guarantees you're going to be feeding on table scraps from the market leader? See: Creative, Sandisk, Microsoft, et al in the MP3 player market.

radjago said:

Not for lack of trying (On MS' part anyway)

xbox_scene_it.jpg

radjago said:

He's saying that neither Microsoft nor Sony would lower themselves to such depths for something so measly as profit. They exist solely to appease the hardcore gamers of the world with products that may not be profitable, but gain them respoect amongst the internet gaming populace.

Respekt knuckles.

Gigglepoo said:
Scene It? is a carbon copy of Sony's Buzz series.

Are you implying that Microsoft would have done it had the Wii not existed? Because i'd bet a large sum of money that that's why this bundle exists.

Sony at least has the precedent of doing things like this before the Wii ever existed, considering it was a system intended for everybody and not just the super hardcore.

radjago said:
Either way you're wrong and you know it. Only Nintendo has quality standards? Where did the seal go? Only Nintendo has ethical standards? Where did CD based games for the N64 go?

Please. It's called business and trying to push your product, don't bring "x company is stupid" into this.

DeaconKnowledge said:
He's saying that neither Microsoft nor Sony would lower themselves to such depths for something so measly as profit. They exist solely to appease the hardcore gamers of the world with products that may not be profitable, but gain them respoect amongst the internet gaming populace.

Respekt knuckles.
Nintendo is a company run by people. People inherently make mistakes. Nintendo has made mistakes of their own.

I don't care about these console wars really, since almost all games give me motion sickness. But the thought that one company is superior and perfect is very weak.

Why are you pushing that Deacon? You're smarter than that.

argon

I went to a new Toys'R'Us in my town last night and saw 7 Wiis sitting there in the display counter. I walked around for 15 minutes, came back to check, and there were only 2 left in the display counter with 3 people in line buying Wiis. I ended up purchasing the last console on a whim, and as I was in line another guy came around asking for a Wii.. It was absolutely insane.

The question now.. should I eBay it ASAP, or wait a couple weeks? It would make a great gift, but none of my friends or family really play videogames.

Mamesj

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Hey! I'm a 20-something guy who (used to, before my X360 broke) plays Halo 3!

The Wii is an exception. It is cool. It does have front page stories in Newsweek and USA Today devoted to it.

and I heard an NPR show about "graphic literature" but it doesn't stop most people I know from asking me why the fuck I read comics. :lol

Top Bottom