• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is doing 'bedsheet deformation' physics now, because of course it is

Honey Bunny

Star Citizen has been in development for well over a decade now, during which time it has raised more than $450 million in crowdfunding, and if you're wondering why it's still in an alpha state after all that time and money, the latest update from developer Cloud Imperium Games might hold a clue.

It all comes down to something called "bedsheet deformation," which is exactly what it sounds like: Ensuring that blankets on beds are mussed up accurately, just like they would be in real life. ...

"We knew early on that, to hit the fidelity we expect for Sq42, we would need to do some R&D on bedsheet deformation," the AI Content team explained, apparently straight-faced.

Priorities, people.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Happy Lets Go GIF by NBA

Scam Citizen fanboys now^

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Behind the scenes at Scam Citizen…

Developer: “hey boss I just had this cool idea. What if, like, your bed sheets deformed when you sat on them? It would be so immersive!”

Manager: “it’s a neat idea but we’re already 6 years behind schedule and we shouldn’t be adding new features at this stage of development. We have a timeline and a budget to stick to…… HAHAHA J/K yeah sure add it to the backlog!”

Developer: “lol you had me there for a second, boss!”

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Priorities, people.

Well it's tech for other small cloth deformation and it's mostly for SQ42 right now. There is already cloth deformation in SC for other things.

And they announced it with a wink. But yeah, websites like PCGamer are taking this completely serious as always.

Last edited:

Metnut

There’s going to be a ton of interesting tech/tools and pieces that come out of this. Unfortunately, it’s never going to lead to a complete and full game that we can experience.

Feel bad for all of the suckers who put a lot of money into this.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Right yeah most of it probably went to nice houses and expensive cars tbh because the whole thing's a scam

Oke cool!

"We knew early on that, to hit the fidelity we expect for Sq42, we would need to do some R&D on bedsheet deformation," the AI Content team explained, apparently straight-faced. "This work is currently underway and, if successful, will allow the AI to deform their sheets when entering, exiting, or sleeping inside them. This is a challenging assignment and expands the complexity of the feature. For example, what happens to the sheets if the AI needs to exit the bed in an emergency?"

I love how PCGamer gets triggered over this, because the devs know websites will hate on it. They are laughing since they already have the tech and do not have to do much R&D for it.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They are just mocking people with this, some cloth deformation oversold… they are not going to try to adapt it dynamically to each and every character people create right? Right?

They are mocking people. But it’a part of SQ42 and they already have the tech. So it will be in the game, but the R&D part is just a joke. Crews on a ship will have daily routines and do their own thing. It’s for NPC’s in SQ42 not for SC at this time. And you say it yourself “dynamically”, so it works with every character.

You could go to the olypmics with those mental gymnastics

Oh thnx again!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Will they make this shit open source? Because it would be great, if at least something comes out of all of this.

K2D

Banned
Feels like I've heard about this game for half of my adult life.. Is it even out of alpha? (lol)

Last edited:
Why do so many of you hate this game? I have played it. It's not that bad. I think I payed like $54-64 for it and felt I got my monies worth out of it when I was playing it. And if I come back to it later down the road and there's more content, that's only rad.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This makes my golden ticket seem worthwhile. 😐 the game was basically unplayable with out sheets deforming properly.

Comandr

I can't wait until all the plebs that lack vision here eat crow after Lord Chris Roberts delivers us the most transformative simulator known to man.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man every time I hear about this game I marvel at how genius it is. A game with an effectively unlimited budget and unlimited timeline, funded entirely by selling the promise of virtual property. Targeted at old gamers nostalgic for the golden age of 1990s PC gaming and who are now all grown up and have plenty of disposable income.

I’m jealous I didn’t come up with this scheme myself. Maybe the best pre-crypto bubble, legal, money making scheme I’ve seen

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Man every time I hear about this game I marvel at how genius it is. A game with an effectively unlimited budget and unlimited timeline, funded entirely by selling the promise of virtual property. Targeted at old gamers nostalgic for the golden age of 1990s PC gaming and who are now all grown up and have plenty of disposable income.

I’m jealous I didn’t come up with this scheme myself. Maybe the best pre-crypto bubble, legal, money making scheme I’ve seen
They should have worked it into Ozark.

Sgt.Asher

And some still think this will come out. They went with a terrible engine and have a mountain of technical debt, so they added cloth physics to look like progress is being made.

Very important detail for a space game! But seriously it is more Second life than Freelancer now. They've gone so far off from their original Kickstarter.

MrA

Banned
Why do so many of you hate this game? I have played it. It's not that bad. I think I payed like $54-64 for it and felt I got my monies worth out of it when I was playing it. And if I come back to it later down the road and there's more content, that's only rad.
Because nuance is hard and most people don't know what a scam is, that said
Very important detail for a space game! But seriously it is more Second life than Freelancer now. They've gone so far off from their original Kickstarter.
Yeah chris roberts has completely lost the plot
So much competent core game overshadowed bananas mismanagement and feature not just crerp but total take over, I doubt anyone on staff ever says no to the next dumb idea that pops into Chris Roberts head

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
When is this game coming out?

Top Bottom