• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scariest Horror Games

cabletime

*might as well see what suggestions people got! Couldn’t hurt before bed!*
tumblr_napkmowxtF1rmfzd9o3_250.gif

tenor.gif
Aaaaaaaaand now I won’t sleep

Fatal Frame 3. Especially that final boss, my goodness.
Hellnight/Dark Messiah on PSX.
Forbidden Siren 2.
Alien: Isolation.

Those are my picks that I was actually frightened by.

Tunahead

For me it's definitely Fatal Frame, because the series keeps finding new and exciting ways to surprise me with ghosts.

Since the dawn of time, humans have looked at things and wondered if a ghost. Fatal Frame is a series predicated on the notion that yes. It's no good turning the game off. You already played it, and that means you're haunted too. Haunted by the memory of a ghost with a scary neck injury.

vsMIC

resident evil 7 is for me the scariest game i ever played, even on screen not vr. the whole atmosphere is really unsettling ...

dead space 1/2, alien isolation, remake are also worth mentioning, but was never a fan of silent hill.

Stiler

SOMA - It's a horror/sci-fi game that has an amazing story and it's setting is quite unique being set at the bottom of the ocean.

Alien: Isolation - Best Alien game imo, it fits the first movie so well and really puts you into that atmosphere and place.

Resident Evil 7 - A nice return to a more survival horror game compared to the previous few RE games that went for more of an action route over horror.

Sanitarium - This is an older game, came out in the late 90's. It's a classic point and click adventure game about a guy who wakes up in an insane asylum and tries to piece together who he was and what is going on. It has some of the best creepiest atmospheres in a game in some areas, a very surreal game, if you like adventure games.

John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles - Another great adventure game also set in an asylum, this one is based on a book of the same name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND0_R5Cf4e0

Silent Hill 1/2 - Some of the best and creepiest games, excellent atmosphere that builds up the tension and story.

I think Fatal Frame 3 was the most effective for me. Some really nerve-wracking situations, not to mention the wails of the tattooed woman.

iPaul93

Silent Hill 2. Masterpiece.

Silent Hill 2 is incredible and silent hill 3 satisfies the thirst for more if it does click with you. I have found most other horror games to have much less immersion, but maybe i'll learn something in this thread.

Silent Hill 2 is by far the best horror game I ever played.I feel like SH 3 doesn't come close as it's most similar to the first one and entirely different from SH2.

EDIT : Siren Blood : Curse is also amazing.

big_z

Hopefully Kojima makes a full-on horror game after he's done with Death Stranding. I thought PT was a genius marketing move & I was really excited to see more of Silent Hills.

He wont, Kojima is stuck in his own personal silent hill remaking stealth action games until the end of time.

Silent Hill 2 (Holy shit...this is the daddy of them all...the feeling of dread and unease that permeates the game is unmatched...pure mindfuck territory). Also, Silent Hill series in general (especially 1, 2, 3, & PT).

Good runner ups are Deadspace and Deadspace 2.

xviper

sadly the game you're looking for is cancelled

but there is RE7, it's not scary but it's a true RE game, an underrated masterpiece in my opinion

bbalde

Well if you are too scared to return and finish the game, means it worked. In my case that would be Alien: Isolation this generation. Previous generation was Fatal Frame 2.

Fantastic games !

Fatal Frame II, Alien Isolation, Siren, SIlent Hill (1, 2, 3 and 4), P.T, Outlast, Outlast 2, Alone in the Dark 4.

And Konami's workplace.

MrS

Banned
Silent Hill is still the scariest game of all time imho. It was unlike anything we'd ever seen before in a videogame. The sound design was perfect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
For pure "horror," I would say Condemned and Fatal Frame 2 or 3.

For an impending sense of dread and just pure general discomfort, Silent Hill 2 cannot be topped.

zoodoo

Condemned

Imagine being in gotham city and there is no batman to save you. You navigate in dark alleys, abandoned building with creepy mannequins and there are psychos everywhere.

Resident Evil 7 with VR is up there. The VR adds just another dimension that just makes it step above any other horror game.

This.

VR makes you experience horror gaming, If anything it made other horror games seem a massive step back in comparison. Tried Outlast 2 after completing R7 in VR and i gave up as it's just not the same anymore. My friend who also has VR said the same.

Spman2099

Resident Evil 7 in VR is miles ahead of everything else. Otherwise I guess the Resident Evil remake would probably be the scariest.

Evil Within, Silent Hill, Fear, Outlast, Amnesia... these are all fun games that I find more intriguing than scary. However, a screaming red faced zombie does get me feeling that "oh shit" sensation a little more.

However, Resident Evil 7 can be a fucked up playing experience.

P.S. P.T. Was pretty damn creepy.

Woffls

My favourite scary games would be Resident Evil 7, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Alien Isolation. The game that scared me the most is Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion.

Bakercat

Silent hill 2 has been and always will be the best horror game to have come out imo. From the environmental set pieces, to the lovely music, to a story that stands the test of time. All of it together makes such a masterpiece of the horror genre as a whole. For anyone who wants to play this game, please don't look up a guide unless you absolutely need to. You don't want to take any chances of being spoiled.

Edit: I should mention silent hill 4 as being pretty good, at least for me. Ghost are 2spooky4me and they do a really good job with them in this game. Plus the room is super creepy and scary to me later in the game.

Also, I totally forgot about P.T. So sad we will never get to see what could of been. It had so much potential from the demo.

Resident Evil 7 played in VR. Knowing that the
family members have this Nemesis like strength and will just randomly appear throughout the house made me anxious the whole time I was playing. When I would enter a room and we the back of one of them leaving or walking down a hallway,
the fear and anxiety I felt was more palpable then any game I have previously played. I think once VR really gets into swing and bigger developers start to use the tech in more interesting ways, horror games will be among the chief beneficiaries. The idea of a full PT game done in VR is everything to me.

Alien Isolation also. For similar reasons. This game done in VR would be a lot.

I love Silent Hill 2 so much but I don't really consider it to be scary as such. I found its themes, James' journey and that of the side characters we meet and the plot revelations we learn about James' past to be compelling and shockingly mature and well written for a video game, but never really scary as such. Parts made me uneasy for sure but not in a way that compares to the feeling of suddenly spotting the Xenomorph like right in front of you.

A-V-B

Resident Evil 7 played in VR. Knowing that the
family members have this Nemesis like strength and will just randomly appear throughout the house made me anxious the whole time I was playing. When I would enter a room and we the back of one of them leaving or walking down a hallway,
the fear and anxiety I felt was more palpable then any game I have previously played. I think once VR really gets into swing and bigger developers start to use the tech in more interesting ways, horror games will be among the chief beneficiaries. The idea of a full PT game done in VR is everything to me.

Alien Isolation also. For similar reasons. This game done in VR would be a lot.

I love Silent Hill 2 so much but I don't really consider it to be scary as such. I found its themes, James' journey and that of the side characters we meet and the plot revelations we learn about James' past to be compelling and shockingly mature and well written for a video game, but never really scary as such. Parts made me uneasy for sure but not in a way that compares to the feeling of suddenly spotting the Xenomorph like right in front of you.

Yeah, SH2 is more oppressive, sad and lonely than anything.

Silent Hill 4 scared me so bad that I kept my PS2 running for three days straight because I was too afraid to go back to my apartment and save. But I'm also a huge wuss who can't handle ghosts, so ymmv. Fatal Frame games scare me for the same reason.

Spec Ops: The Line carries the title for the game that got under my skin and psychologically fucked with me the hardest, though. Nothing compares to that experience, in my eyes.

The original RE, back in 95 or whatever. I was young and not ready for it at all. The terrible VA/intro actually added to the sense of horror lol.

Lately, Alien: Isolation is my favourite. It's less horror than pure, relentless tension. Especially a certain part of the game.

The 1st 2 Dead Space games are great, but I wouldn't call them scary. Awful things happen, but you're able to effectively fight back. There are some absolutely excellent set piece moments though. Like just after you arrive on the Ishimura and accidentally trigger the alarm.

taoofjord

Soma is the best horror game in recent years although it's not the scariest. It sure is disturbing and brilliant though.

System Shock 2 was the scariest game around long after it came out. I doubt it still holds up though.

kc44135

My pick is Alien: Isolation. A modern horror masterpiece, and the most frightening game I have ever played. Nothing compares to the pervasive sense of dread and tension I felt throughout that game, and no other game has made truly feel like I was being hunted by a perfect predator, with me as mere prey. It's essentially the original movie in video game form, and scarier to boot.

Also, Silent Hill 1-3 are pretty scary, but be warned, they don't hold up well at all in their original forms. I wanted to replay them recently, but knowing the HD Collection was ass, I decided to bust out ye olde PS2... and it wasn't a pleasant experience playing them at 480i on a 42 inch 1080p TV, let me tell you. So, blurry, jaggy, and just plain fugly. Nearly unplayable, IMO. Silent Hill 1 is even fuglier. Konami, or course, could care less.

Atmosphere alone doesn't make the cut for 'scariest' game for me so even though P.T is flawless in design and there is a backstory to be discovered that's pretty interesting, there's not enough for it to really get under your skin.

That's why Silent Hill 2 is so amazing, there's a build-up and slow sense of the messed-upness sinking in throughout the game as it goes deeper and deeper and that kind of brilliance is what just puts it on top.

Another one is Rule of Rose, the story is so messed up but then it's presented in this context that's almost innocent. I can't explain it too well, but this game really lingers and I find more 'fear' in the feeling of being deeply disturbed which is not easy to pull off. Soma does it really well too.

However I don't think lesser of horror games that don't go as 'deep' because Alien Isolation made me quite scared just with anxiety. It's a different kind of scary feeling that also needs some good crafting to get it right. It can easily become too 'gamey' where you discover elements that make running/hiding away from the threats too convenient sometimes. Alien Isolation felt realistic to a certain extent, it also had a great build-up to the monster reveal which made it all work well.

Top Bottom