• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Announces PHYREENGINE 2.40(PS3) with new games

Kinan

Goldrusher said:
Looks interesting, but how come I haven't heard about this, even though they had a trailer since December ?

Talk about under radar. :) According to their site, they announced the game at 20th of November last year, and at 17th of December the game already passed stage 2 of Sony Product submission.

http://www.boolat.com/news/

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
VectorCell, Paul Cuisset’s new studio, whose PS3 title The 7th Seal (working title) is currently in development.

So...

Is that based on the movie?

Awntawn said:
nice environmental visuals, awful animation ;/

It's not slated to come out until the end of 2010. So hopefully they can clean up the animation and completely dump that horrendous main character.

Hm, yeah it all looks really good for how early it is. The animations play out very smoothly, but are definitely not well designed (nor is the main character... at least not yet).

Puck

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Is this free/inexpensive technology? either way looks like we'll have some shit hot looking psn games coming out.
I think it is very cheap technology that is easily available.

It's really impressive how PSN games can look so good.

ChryZ

Panajev2001a said:
Deferred Shading... they were quick to Killz0wn their engine ;).
Good times ahead. More devs should check out this engine. It's free, open source and full of win as it seems.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So who wants to buy me a PS3 Dev Kit ?
They are cheap now.. :lol

rezuth said:
Its not avaible to the public yet, right?
It comes with the PS3 Dev Kit.

ChryZ

rezuth said:
Its not avaible to the public yet, right?
I don't think so. It's only available for SCE licensed development studios.

Fersis said:
So who wants to buy me a PS3 Dev Kit ?
You have to code, compile, etc on PC AFAIK, so even a debug should be fine to test builds.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChryZ said:
You have to code, compile, etc on PC AFAIK, so even a debug should be fine to test builds.
Do you want to buy me a debug kit ? :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ChryZ said:
I don't think so. It's only available for SCE licensed development studios.

I wonder how much it is for a Debug kit nowadays... the DevKit is under 2,000 Euros IIRC (according the a story posted during GDC 2009) so the Debug Kit should be even less...

Fersis

rezuth said:
Think you only need to be a licensed SCEA developer.
I know.

ChryZ said:
Do you want to sign up as dev at SCE and write me a few games ? :p
They dont work with companies on Argentina :(
Besides this HAS to be my last programming job. I dont want to code no more !!!!:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do budding indie devs still have to register as a PS developer in order to even get a debug kit, with PhyreEngine?

How tricky is that process anyway?

Fersis

gofreak said:
Do budding indie devs still have to register as a PS developer in order to even get a debug kit, with PhyreEngine?

How tricky is that process anyway?
Not tricky at all.

ChryZ

SCEE R&D released the slides of their presentations:
http://research.scee.net/presentations

2009 Game Developer Conference - PhyreEngine™ - Deferred Lighting and Post Processing on PLAYSTATION®3
http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/gdc2009/DeferredLightingandPostProcessingonPS3.ppt

2008 Game Developer Conference - PhyreEngine™
http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/gdc2008/PhyreEngine-GDC2008.pdf

2008 CESA Developers Conference - PhyreEngine™ Terrain
http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/cedec2008/PhyreEngine_CEDEC2008Slides_e.pdf

2008 CESA Developers Conference - PhyreEngine™ Terrain
http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/cedec2008/PhyreEngine_CEDEC2008Speech_e.pdf

Should be an interesting read for some of you.

XTERC

Reading this makes me hope future Playstation architecture is based around the same flavour of processor/architecture, so the 'hurdles' of this gen will be bypassed as developers could re-use their existing code base.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
XTERC said:
Reading this makes me hope future Playstation architecture is based around the same flavour of processor/architecture, so the 'hurdles' of this gen will be bypassed as developers could re-use their existing code base.
You're onto it. The framework being laid now is or should be the foundation for PS4 development. More devs are getting their feet wet now at this point. From what I've seen it won't be as expensive but who's to say.

Wollan

I would be surprised if the next Sony console doesn't use a upgraded Cell + latest Nvidia.
It makes too much sense for them to not go in that direction.

I guess it will be the first platform with an available 1st party middleware engine from day one (and as far as I know, PHYREENGINE is the first middleware engine ever by a platform holder?).

spwolf

XTERC said:

not only that, but using SCE engine means that you might be able to move to PS4 easier as they will change the things needed in the engine for it to support PS4 specific stuff. Just like most middleware tools for any kind of job, it will make it easier for devs to make games both for PS3 and PS4 at the same time.

ChryZ

Wollan said:
I would be surprised if the next Sony console doesn't use a upgraded Cell + latest Nvidia.
Pretty much yeah. The setup should scale nicely.

I guess it will be the first platform with an available 1st party middleware engine from day one (and as far as I know, PHYREENGINE is the first middleware engine ever by a platform holder?).
I think you're confusing middle ware with cross platform solution and if so, then yes.

Wollan

ChryZ said:
I think you're confusing middle ware with cross platform solution and if so, then yes.
I need to read up more on this then. Thought it was a fully capable graphical engine ala UE3..etc.

RavenFox

Banned
Awntawn said:
nice environmental visuals, awful animation ;/
Awful character to. I mean really, this is Mars not the Colosseo. Put clothes and gear on him and the ability to wear a hood would be great.

The Engine is awesome by the way and I know the stuff is early :)

ChryZ

Wollan said:
I need to read up more on this then. Thought it was a fully capable graphical engine ala UE3..etc.
Oh, it is. You can use the engine for different platforms, not just PS3. You mentioned middle ware and that's more like Havok, Euphoria, etc ... libs, tools to complement your engine.

lamotia said:
Here is a video of Strength of the Sword

here

this video has been diagnosed with ADD...wow hahaha

that mars game has very nice environmental graphics...but the animation is hilarious...at least the fat blokes fall from grace (not that he ever had any) looked accurate enough haha (oooh, I'll just go and grab another pint...shit, heres the floor)

Durante

ChryZ said:
SCEE R&D released the slides of their presentations:
http://research.scee.net/presentations
[...]
Should be an interesting read for some of you.
Very interesting, thanks! An idea I had never seen before was the per-tile SPU-based classification for MSAA. Impressive stuff. Also the volumetric lighting done with the 128k texture on SPUs looks quite good enough in the demo, I wouldn't have thought that would work

RavenFox

Banned
Durante said:
Very interesting, thanks! An idea I had never seen before was the per-tile SPU-based classification for MSAA. Impressive stuff. Also the volumetric lighting done with the 128k texture on SPUs looks quite good enough in the demo, I wouldn't have thought that would work
Those little guys are more robust than what some folks think.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Wollan said:
I'm guessing it's pretty shined up for the Cell though.

It's pretty fast on 360 too, even after just a quick port. Our PC implementation needs a lot of work to get the speed up though, and especially to support older video cards.

J-Rzez

Wollan said:

And maybe do something else devs seem to want more of always, and throw in a heavier helping RAM too.

Top Bottom