• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Announces PHYREENGINE 2.40(PS3) with new games

RavenFox

Banned
J-Rzez said:
And maybe do something else devs seem to want more of always, and throw in a heavier helping RAM too.
More ram is always welcomed and I'm sure the PS4 Aura will have a lot more.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The presentations are quite neat - makes me want one of those DebugKits that can run Phyre even more to play with. :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Fafalada said:
The presentations are quite neat - makes me want one of those DebugKits that can run Phyre even more to play with. :p
The debugkits are cheaper now... that would be tonz of fun :D
(The hurdle its to become a licensed dev)

ChryZ

Fafalada said:
I heard that debugs are under 1000 now, but there seems to be fancier versions for about 2000 (basically mini devkits).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChryZ said:
I heard that debugs are under 1000 now, but there seems to be fancier versions for about 2000 (basically mini devkits).
It would be nice if SCEI could sell those miniDevKits to 'average Joes'...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw this posted on a Japanese blog, but supposedly Atlus has licensed this engine...
much like companies like NIS and Gust have already done and released projects with.

klee123

Kagari said:
Saw this posted on a Japanese blog, but supposedly Atlus has licensed this engine...
much like companies like NIS and Gust have already done and released projects with.

Wikipedia also lists the following Japanese devs who are developing games using this engine:

Nippon Ichi: Disgaea 4
Falcom: PS3 Action rpg (untitled)
Item: Steambot Chronicles 2
Atlus: 2 titles and one of them is a Shin Megami Tensei
Compile Heart: Super Dimensional Game Neptune
Gust: Atelier Totori and Mana Khemia 3

No idea where they got this info from though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
klee123 said:
Wikipedia also lists the following Japanese devs who are developing games using this engine:

Nippon Ichi: Disgaea 4
Falcom: PS3 Action rpg (untitled)
Item: Steambot Chronicles 2
Atlus: 2 titles and one of them is a Shin Megami Tensei
Compile Heart: Super Dimensional Game Neptune
Gust: Atelier Totori and Mana Khemia 3

No idea where they got this info from though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah though the Gust and Compile Heart games are confirmed to be using the engine for sure. I wouldn't be surprised NIS would use it for Disgaea 4.

klee123

That's true, the engine would probably allow smaller devs to make games with good results. It's not like Atlus' games have been technically cutting edge in the past.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So PS3 will be getting a Ys and a Persona game? :p

jiggle

Gust did good work with it

hopefully no more blurry 2D sprites from N1!

surprised to see Falcom getting in on PS3 action @.@
they've done quite well over on psp

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
cosmicblizzard said:
I'm not denying that but if Sony is the one announcing it, I assume there would be some kind of contract in place.

Sony lets you do pretty much whatever you want with it. Porting PhyreEngine is no problem under the license. Indeed, our studio has already released multiple PhyreEngine based games on non Sony platforms, and Sony has "announced" our studio as a user of PhyreEngine in the past too and we have never been bound to exclusivity.

Mario said:
Sony lets you do pretty much whatever you want with it. Porting PhyreEngine is no problem under the license. Indeed, our studio has already released multiple PhyreEngine based games on non Sony platforms, and Sony has "announced" our studio as a user of PhyreEngine in the past too and we have never been bound to exclusivity.

Ah. Well then I stand corrected.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Mario said:

very weird move from Sony.

guess the Atlus games that will use this Engine can/might not even be for Sony systems then.

slider

Totobeni said:
very weird move from Sony.

guess the Atlus games that will use this Engine can/might not even be for Sony systems then.

I don't think so. A development toolset that isn't/wasn't as mature as MS's needs some draw. And multiplatform would be a huge draw I think.

I think it'd be weird for a dev to use PhyreEngine for a game not released on a Sony platform.

klee123

jcm said:
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'll point out that PhyreEngine now runs on PSP, as well, so that list may not be all PS3 games.

Well, according to Wikipedia, for Falcom's game it specifically states that it is a PS3 project. Not sure about rhe Atlus games tho, could be PSP for all we know.

Both Mana Khemia 3 and Disgaea 4 should be PS3 titles though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
klee123 said:
Well, according to Wikipedia, for Falcom's game it specifically states that it is a PS3 project. Not sure about rhe Atlus games tho, could be PSP for all we know.

Both Mana Khemia 3 and Disgaea 4 should be PS3 titles though.

Why should they " ? game on the engine can even be on non Sony systems ( see Mario's post )

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Totobeni said:
Why should they " ? game on the engine can even be on non Sony systems ( see Mario's post )

Um. Gust has put out a few PS3 titles, they'll likely continue. NIS as well, and they even mentioned they were working on a new PS3 game.

klee123

Totobeni said:

Well, because N1 stated themselves that Disgaea 4 is a PS3 title.

Gust's main output this gen has been on PS3.

In fact, every Japanese developed title which used this engine in the past ended up being PS3 exclusive. Things could change of course, but it's highly likely it'll be the same for Mana Khemia 3 and Disgaea 4 considering the devs and their platform focus this gen.

PS3 is really starting to flex its graphical power that alot of us didnt think would ever happen. As much as a 360 fan as i am.. i must admit that im glad i kept my ps3 because some of these 1st and 2nd party developers are starting to take advantage of the CELL helping out in the visual dept alot more then i had thought. Some of these ps3 games in recent times really shine graphically.. Im not too sure of 360 dev's will yield the same kind of results since the CELL is very very much capable of rendering a game on its own..add that to the RSX and we are now seeing some stunning games visually on the ps3.

Well my ps3 is not near me right now..i let a friend borrow it for a month since he has a broken leg and cant afford a console right now.. but i'll have my ps3 back in a month or so.. and i been doing alot of reading on developers thoughts in recent times on the evolution the ps3's graphics are taking..im quite impressed.

I know one thing.. im really noticing a difference in graphics on ps3 compared to 360.. not so much as "better" but ps3 developed games have a unique look to them...its hard to explain but to me it seems like they have a high quality aspect about them.. i cant explain it in words but i always know when im looking at a ps3 game developed specifically for its hardware..every time i notice it easily. Again..not saying its because they are loads better then exclusive 360 games..they just seem to have a distinct look to them. Im really hoping these developers start utilizing that new AA technique that are getting on ps3 by using one of the spe's.. there is a thread in here about it..cant remember what the title of the thread was but i was just totally impressed at how they are just now using a new way to clean up the notorious jaggies the ps3 seems to have in past games.. so if they can clean up them jaggies with this new technique used for AA.. ps3 games have alot of room left to improve visually.

i-Lo

Imagine if certain games can be remade with that engine.

I wish for ICO and SoTC

What impresses me is what Sony is allowing the devs with the engine.

Gorgon

velvet_nitemare said:
Hopefully this means SMT HD. Or Persona HD.

Do it, Atlus!

I'll repeat myself for those that don't read posts: Persona 5 has been confirmed already.

aryanr said:
Imagine if certain games can be remade with that engine.

I wish for ICO and SoTC

What impresses me is what Sony is allowing the devs with the engine.

Remade certainly not, but there is a chance we'll see an Ico and SotC HD Collection just like it happened with the God of War Collection. Ueda confirmed a few months back that he would be discussing that possibility with Sony.

And again, PERSONA 5 HAS BEEN CONFIRMED ALREADY.

Mr.Potato Head said:
I know one thing.. im really noticing a difference in graphics on ps3 compared to 360.. not so much as "better" but ps3 developed games have a unique look to them...its hard to explain but to me it seems like they have a high quality aspect about them.. i cant explain it in words but i always know when im looking at a ps3 game developed specifically for its hardware..every time i notice it easily. Again..not saying its because they are loads better then exclusive 360 games..they just seem to have a distinct look to them.

I thought something similar before, only in relation to multiplatform games. PS3 versions somehow just seemed more... solid to my eye. But that was just an illusion, once you'd put them side to side with their respective 360 versions, it would be dispelled - in most cases 360 versions actually look noticeably better. Maybe it has something to do with quincunx AA, the way it softens the image. It has a pleasing effect at first, but when you compare it to a sharper image with less detail masked by soft blur - yeah, not so much.

As for whether the PS3 actually has more processing power than the 360... I'd rather not open up that can of worms. Let's just say they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Processing power aside, I think PS3 exclusives really benefit from the inclusion of a hard drive in every system.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
News like this make it very hard not to be anticipated by the PS4 console. I think they've hit a sweetspot on the hardware. Now it's just doing it better and with better software. They've learned alot during this gen and the next gen is where they'll prove that.

Gorgon

onken said:
Have they said anything about the platform?

Sorry for the late response. Nope, they didn't say anything but we can make some informed speculation:

1) we know Atlus has been confirmed as an official Home supporter since at least last year's TGS

2) we know that Atlus has been hiring 360 and PS3 developers for the last couple of years at least

This means that they are certainly getting into the HD console market at some point. The 360 will be 5 years old this Fall and the PS3 4 years. This is a pretty good time to finaly anounce something to the HD consoles.

Also the first Atlus game for the PS2 was released 4 years after the PS2 was launched (if I remember correctly in 2004). So I guess a new game, like Persona 5, announced this TGS or early next year is a real possibility and certainly not later than TGS 2011 for a release in Fall 2011 in Japan. I don't believe for a second it will take more than that for an HD Atlus game to come out.

My bet goes to Persona 5 (if that is an HD project and if there is nothing else coming along in the meanwhile) beying either a 360/PS3 multiplat game or a PS3 exclusive. I don't believe for a moment it's a 360 exclusive.

rykomatsu

Totobeni said:

There have been no (zero) main atelier games that were released on a non-home console sony systems before other systems to date...since mk1 and 2 were of the Axx designation, there's no reason to believe mk3 would be any different than a mainline entry at this point, and unless they changed their business plan significantly, also no significant reason to believe MK3 would be a multi or other console release regardless of whether the engine's portable or not.

Varion

Kagari said:
You don't happen to still have that blog address do you?

Cheers.

Raistlin

thaOwner said:
This one has been announced though

s15hdc.jpg

WinFonda said:
Guess I'm just slow! News to me.

It would appear you're not the only one unaware of the title. Gaf just killed the site :lol

Wait ... wtf?!!?! The under siege site is dead too :D

Raistlin

XTERC said:
Reading this makes me hope future Playstation architecture is based around the same flavour of processor/architecture, so the 'hurdles' of this gen will be bypassed as developers could re-use their existing code base.

Well, that was the plan all along. The only reason CELL was ok'd was due to this expectation. No way they would have financed it otherwise.

LiquidMetal14 said:
You're onto it. The framework being laid now is or should be the foundation for PS4 development. More devs are getting their feet wet now at this point. From what I've seen it won't be as expensive but who's to say.

Glix

Sony should just license whatever GOW3 is using. Just started it last night, and its blowing my fucking mind!

Raistlin said:
It would appear you're not the only one unaware of the title. Gaf just killed the site :lol

Wait ... wtf?!!?! The under siege site is dead too :D

You've quoted something that's over a year old so those sites may have been taken down haha.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Glix said:
Sony should just license whatever GOW3 is using. Just started it last night, and its blowing my fucking mind!

GOW3 has great tech but it's also how they use it. It's smart design, good art direction, spending detail on areas that your eyes are drawn to, re-using textures cleverly so you don't see tiling etc. Just like all good studios on any platform.

I mean it's an obvious point, but the GOW3 engine doesn't magically make any game look good. I am glad they focused so much on image quality though. IQ and stable, smooth framerate should ALWAYS be #1 priority IMO. Without those two, games will look like crap no matter how great the models, textures, animations, lighting and general art direction are. Case in point at the moment is Enslaved IMO. It would look fantastic if the IQ didn't kill it. The aliasing is horrendous. Hopefully they will have fixed that by release.

Raistlin

MoonsaultSlayer said:
You've quoted something that's over a year old so those sites may have been taken down haha.

Could be. I thought it may have been due to the bump (new thread viewers)

Raistlin

KZObsessed said:
Yes! And what have you done with the real Raist (PSN name: Raistlinn.)

You killed him and took his place didn't you? I'm onto you...

:D

I'm the real Raistlin. Been here since the beginning.

he's in my basement :eek:

and btw - my PSN name is Raistlin :lol

Top Bottom