• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Executive Vice President: Possible enhanced version PS4, no first party for Vita

AmyS

Nah, it ain't happening. If we're getting a PS5 in 2018-2019 (which is likely) then they're not going to put out an upgraded PS4 that'll be outdated in a year or two.

This.

Thank you.

PS5 in 2018 or 2019 but cross-gen games would go on a lot longer next time. PS4 would not die a year or two after PS5's arrival. PS4 would continue to be sold and supported for years after as a low-cost entry level console. Much cheaper to manufacture than PS3 Slim and Super Slim.

Sony will need and want another source of revenue with Vita gone. There won't be another Sony handheld, but they'd be more than happy to sell you PS4s and PS5s for many years to come. Along with PlayStationVR and PSN subscriptions. And of course, games, both physical and digital, though PS5 certainly won't be digital only.

Yeah, don't expect a new, upgraded PS4.

1. We've known Vita is dead for 1st party since 1984.

2. There won't be a high performance PS4, pretty sure he was just answering a hypothetical question posed. Plus they wouldn't fragment the market that way.

Yeah. However, because there are a lot of resources actually reserved for the OS in the PS4, I think that once they optimize the OS enought to know more precisely what they need and don't need to reserve, they'll free memory and CPU cicles for games, and that will be like having a more powerful PS4.

kitch9

Banned
Why would people buy a "high performance" PS4? Seriously at that point just hop into PC gaming.

Seems like a dumb thing to release tbh.

You mean the pc gaming where you have to understand how to pc, and then once you do that learn how to avoid all the cheats and hackers that plague the platform?

That one?

I enjoy pc gaming, but damn it's full of weirdo ass holes willing to ruin the games for others for no reason other than a score.

kitch9

Banned
A "PS4S" if you will. I'd be cool with it.

One major caveat though, there should be no games developed exclusively for the higher end PS4. The higher end PS4 should provide better performance and/or graphics settings. Effectively the same as what we see on PC already.

Does make sense.

I think.

Going the mobile phone rout eh.
I'm pretty ok with this as long as the userbase doesn't get divided through exclusive high end games.

jtar86

It would be extremely stupid to release a high performance PS4. They got a great thing going with the PS4. Don't piss off your entire user base by releasing a half step that makes old users feel like they got the shaft. It works with phones because you can offset that cost with contracts and programs like Next. But with consoles I would guess most people expect at least 5 years before the new thing comes out.

PSOreo

Surely releasing a "high performance PS4" would not only segregate the userbase in terms of customer value but also just in terms of game development. "Who cares if this looks crap on the base system, we sunk our efforts into the high one". Just seems like an awful idea to me.

Absolutely no way there will be a PS4 and a PS4.3

If anything, a performance boosted PS4 would essentially be a PS5 and a new generation.

I agree, but that didn't stop Nintendo bringing the "New 3DS".

An enhanced PS4 may introduce 4k movie support, but I cannot imagine exclusive games for the upgrade. Nobody would want that, besides somes enthusiasts.

That said and given PS4 architecture, I also believe that the core PS5 will indeed be a heavily upgraded PS4.

sono

-"For example, there are ideas such as releasing a standard PS4 and a high performance PS4."

On PS Vita:
-"No first party titles in development for PS Vita currently."
-"Will leave third party devs to do their best."
-"SCE main focus will be on the PS4."

Ok so I dont like this guy, at all.

In the first statement he probably just impacted current PS4 sales right there
In the second he is turning the knife of Andrew House's "legacy platform"

Where do they get these people ?

Megatron

It's no surprise but still sucks. Look Sony, I know the vita didn't sell well, but it did sell to some people, Sony's own fans and customers. Sony owed us better than this. Would it really have been so hard to assign a small studio to make Patapon and Loco Roco type games? Maybe a vita version of each, then something different. They wouldn't sell amazing, but they wouldn't cost much to make either, and they could always be ported to ps4 later. It would be enough for a small profit, and just as importantly, would mean you didn't abandon a $250 machine after less than two years.

Xiao Hu

Either make it open source finally and/or allow second party storage media. Very disgraceful and disrespectful towards your own product and the customers who bought it. :mad:

I'd buy a higher performance PS4 in a heartbeat. Could simply upclock the APU and RAM or once the new board comes out with the combined RAM giving more room you could throw more ram into the thing. Wouldn't have to be major changes. Sell it for $50 more and be done with it.

Dont want to overcomplicate for developers though so keep the architecture 100% the same. So you would basically just have better performing games out of the elite system. Able to handle more AA passes or whatever.

Shu said that about the Vita ages ago.

Splitting the userbase with a performance model is stupid, doing it well past launch is even worse.
Ok so I dont like this guy, at all.

In the first statement he probably just impacted current PS4 sales right there
In the second he is turning the knife of Andrew House's "legacy platform"

Where do they get these people ?

You'd prefer him to PR spin the Vita? They're talking candidly about a failure, that's a step in the right direction IMO.

Dueck

Banned
If they released an upgraded PS4 in the next two years and I'm left with inferior games or ones I can't play, I'm gonna totally cut off my nose to spite my face and drop out of the PlayStation brand for a while.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the details or idea beyond the 4K stuff, but it sounds like a totally mid-90s Sega (or modern Apple) move. I'm not going to judge people for supporting it, whatever makes you happy, but I hate the idea and would rather buy the NX (depending on what it offers) than get dragged into a terrible new business model.

As for the Vita, meh. All the games I like for it are third party anyways. It's a shame Sony has sort of ditched it, but I don't blame them for trying to stop the bleeding.

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah, I feel like if there's an upgraded version of the PS4 it probably won't be sommit that effects the games side of things.

4K Blu-ray support + better audio support maybe?

StevieP

Banned
You mean the pc gaming where you have to understand how to pc, and then once you do that learn how to avoid all the cheats and hackers that plague the platform?

That one?

I enjoy pc gaming, but damn it's full of weirdo ass holes willing to ruin the games for others for no reason other than a score.

This post is brought to you by the letter c and the year 2005

omonimo

Banned
Why people complain about this thing? Indeed a simple ps4 slim an enhanced version with better performance maybe which guarantee 60 fps if it's just CPU relative. Where is the abomination?

If anything I think it just means the idea is open for a PS4 with an enhanced decoder chip/4k output and different blueray drive. These things might end up there anyways on future hardware revisions.

Anything affecting gameplay would fragment development and gamers, I can't see that happening unless it was called PS5.

Mabufu

Banned
Why people complain about this thing? Indeed a simple ps4 slim an enhanced version with better performance maybe which guarantee 60 fps if it's just CPU relative. Where is the abomination?

There's no abomination here. Just envy disguised as bad user base splitting.

c0de

Computing performance doesn't work by just one thing. Also they are not separate things that only add up but complex systems were many parts rely on each other.

KZObsessed

An enhanced PS4 would be good for a better vr experience but all games would have to be playable on all PS4's. Otherwise it'd just be scummy.

DonMigs85

It seems really unlikely they would release a more powerful PS4, especially if they're still stuck at 28nm. Probably just gonna add 4K BD and perhaps HDMI 2.0 support.
It would certainly piss me off if they did, though.

-MB-

If Sony did this they would risk letting MS back in the game, letting them do the same but equal/surpass ps4s revision in power. Then what would all those people who went PS4 this generation because of the better looking 3rd party titles do.

Tripolygon

Banned
If Sony did this they would risk letting MS back in the game, letting them do the same but equal/surpass ps4s revision in power. Then what would all those people who went PS4 this generation because of the better looking 3rd party titles do.
Play games?

Or does someone else's have to be inferior looking for you to enjoy your PS4 games?
This is what this thread has amounted to, people talking about how someone might have a better looking game and feeling cheated because the hypothetical system will be better than their PS4.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This would be very easy to pass off as a slim model that has better components and costs more, rather than the same skin with better components.

This would only have a chance of working if console manufacturers abandoned the idea of hardware generations altogether. Otherwise you are going to end up with a lot of pissed off PS4 buyers when the PS4S comes out and a veritable shitstorm of angry PS4S owners once the PS5 comes out.

Not sure I follow your thinking on that one.

If Sony releases a PS4.1, what difference does that have for Microsoft's desire to do the same?

Microsoft can do it right now with or without Sony doing it and surpass them regardless.

If anything Sony being inactive on this possibility and not investigating the idea of it is the riskier move.

A PS4 upgraded to meet the standards to play UHD blurays with HDR and all that stuff is literally the only way this makes sense.
The new standards for UHD bluray weren't set when Sony released the PS4 so it makes sense to release a version of the PS4 that meets the standards.

A more powerful version of the console though?
Nah, that's not gonna happen.

They'll be saving the big boosts for PS5. They'll need to if they want their VR platform to take off.

-MB-

Play games?

Or does someone else's have to be inferior looking for you to enjoy your PS4 games?
This is what this thread has amounted to, people talking about how someone might have a better looking game and feeling cheated because the hypothetical system will be better than their PS4.

Not to me, but many people who do operate on that notion, and picked PS4 over Xbox one for it. Some peopel just want the system with the best performing 3rd party titles, and those would also be the targets for this new updated SKU model.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think a better solution would be making PS4 forward compatible, it can play PS5 games but with lower resolution. Userbase resets may not be practical a few years from now, an enhanced PS4 might not be a good idea, but an early PS5 with a forward compatible PS4 is a great idea.

I think a better solution would be making PS4 forward compatible, it can play PS5 games but with lower resolution. Userbase resets may not be practical a few years from now, an enhanced PS4 might not be a good idea, but an early PS5 with a forward compatible PS4 is a great idea.

It's called cross-gen releases.

And based on the sales people are moving pretty fast to the next-gen. So it's rather pointless.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's called cross-gen releases.

And based on the sales people are moving pretty fast to the next-gen. So it's rather pointless.

Cross-gen means higher development costs, a forward compatible console means less R&D costs as well.

People are moving to next gen very fast right now, but the future is uncertain, making PS4 forward compatible is a much safer option with absolutely no downsides, enthusiasts can move to next gen while casuals can still play their games on PS4, it's a win-win scenario.

Top Bottom