• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA acquires Zipper Interactive

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
Uh?I don't see the problem.
Level 5 could still develop Dragon Quest 9 since it will be on Sony's console as the previous episode :D :lol :lol
Square Enix's been working pretty hard to distance themselves from Sony Corp and reposition as a strong multiplatform publisher. Regardless of where DQ ends up, they wouldn't appreciate SCEI buying out Level 5... especially after DQ8 put them on the map.

element

Shard said:
I thought Insomniac was part of Sony as well.
Sony owns a minority share in Insomniac. I would expect them to be bought out soon. Sony is buying all the developers who are working on 'cool' things for them.

element

jarrod said:
Hey element, who else is part of MS? Anyone I missed?
you are pretty much on the ball. MS really hasn't done anything since buying Rare and selling off Access/Indie Built. Digital Anvil closed.
MS changed their stragegy this time. Instead of buying developers, they decided to tie of long term deals with major studios, Epic, Bioware, Lionhead, Silicon Knights (to a lesser degree)

jarrod

Banned
element said:
MS changed their stragegy this time. Instead of buying developers, they decided to tie of long term deals with major studios, Epic, Bioware, Lionhead, Silicon Knights (to a lesser degree)
Yeah, Nintendo seems to be doing basically the same thing. They're still funding small JP startups now and then, but no buyouts and no 2nd party investments anymore.

Elios83

jarrod said:
Square Enix's been working pretty hard to distance themselves from Sony Corp and reposition as a strong multiplatform publisher. Regardless of where DQ ends up, they wouldn't appreciate SCEI buying out Level 5... especially after DQ8 put them on the map.

Strong multiplatform publisher? :lol
If you think they have worked really hard to put Christal Chronicles on GC and FFXI on Xbox360 with PS2 graphics (and surely MS has given them loads of money for that too :lol )...
Call me when they announce any important game on multiple consoles.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Elios83 said:
If you think they have worked really hard to put Christal Chronicles on GC and FFXI on Xbox360 with PS2 graphics (and surely MS has given them loads of money for that too :lol )...

Children of Mana and Final Fantasy III DS come to mind.

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:
So Sony buys Level 5. Let's say Level 5 is asked to work on/help make a new DQ game later on. Several years pass and Squeenix want to rerelease the Level 5 DQ game on the new market leader, the Xbox 1080...problems will arise, I'm sure. By keeping Level 5 independant

I sure they would just get someone else to make a Dragon Quest game if Level 5 gets bought out by Sony or hell a collaborational effort between 2 publishers for whatever both SquareEnix and SCEI wants.

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
Their massive DS lineup compared to a PSone port and FF action spinoff on that other handheld speaks to their priorities. They're investing more in network infastructure, mobile gaming and just recently purchased Taito with an eye on their mobile/amusement assets. Square Enix wants to position themselves as strongly indipendant of any 1st party, Sony included.

From Level 5's perspective as well, I'm not sure a Sony buyout would be all that attractive. Most likely they banked more off DQ8 than a 3 of their Sony projects combined... why ruin a good thing? Why suddenly have to answer to someone else, rather than choose your own projects? Netting the DQ deal was by a wide margin the best thing to ever happen to them.

Gattsu25

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I sure they would just get someone else to make a Dragon Quest game if Level 5 gets bought out by Sony or hell a collaborational effort between 2 publishers for whatever both SquareEnix and SCEI wants.
Well, what I meant is that Sony buying out Level 5 might hurt Squeenix' relationship with Level 5 because Squeenix might not be as flexible as they'd want to be with future titles they and Level 5 work on

edit: (talking about jarrod's next post below me) yep. That's what I meant :)

jarrod

Banned
Wakune said:
Well, what I meant is that Sony buying out Level 5 might hurt Squeenix' relationship with Level 5 because Squeenix might not be as flexible as they'd want to be with future titles they and Level 5 work on
It starins flexibility on all sides... which is the opposite of what Square Enix wants. If Sony bought Level 5, not only would Square Enix find a new DQ developer, it's also likely strain Sony and Sqeenix's relationship even further.

Andrew2

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Next up:

Insomniac

Sucker Punch.

Sony is not fucking around this time. They have got to be getting close to having the absolute fucking largest development capability of any publisher. They're freaking huge in every region and a ton of them are premier developers.

You would be suprised that Insomniac already turned down a offering to be bought by Sony. In fact, Ted Price said he wants the studio to remain independent.

Anyhow this is somewhat of a blow to Microsoft since it officially dissolve thier relationship with Zipper. So y'know, Zipper have worked on games for Microsoft -- MechWarrior and Crimson Skies.

Andrew2

Banned
jarrod said:
Their massive DS lineup compared to a PSone port and FF action spinoff on that other handheld speaks to their priorities. They're investing more in network infastructure, mobile gaming and just recently purchased Taito with an eye on their mobile/amusement assets. Square Enix wants to position themselves as strongly indipendant of any 1st party, Sony included.

From Level 5's perspective as well, I'm not sure a Sony buyout would be all that attractive. Most likely they banked more off DQ8 than a 3 of their Sony projects combined... why ruin a good thing? Why suddenly have to answer to someone else, rather than choose your own projects? Netting the DQ deal was by a wide margin the best thing to ever happen to them.

I don't know where your getting the Square Enix wants to seperate themselves from Sony considering how Sony(SCEA, not SOE) made Square Enix the sole publisher of all EQ-related games inside of Japan.

jarrod said:
Their massive DS lineup compared to a PSone port and FF action spinoff on that other handheld speaks to their priorities.

Errr...I could just venture a guess that Square Enix likes to mostly stick with the leaders of the markets.

Defensor said:
Excellent decision. I hope this means Socom PS3 will have a huge turnout.

I should flag you down for a Socom 3 scrimmage, dear sir!

Where's the public outcries, BTW? Oh, I forgot, this isn't EA.

jarrod

Banned
Andrew2 said:
I don't know where your getting the Square Enix wants to seperate themselves from Sony considering how Sony(SCEA, not SOE) made Square Enix the sole publisher of all EQ-related games inside of Japan.
The merger was the big first sign, Wada's been keeping up the multiplatform speculation, moving network focus from PS2 to PC/mobiles, ambitious Nintendo handheld support, buying out Taito to look to new revenue sectors, etc.

I did sort of misspeak earlier though, it's not really so much about Square Enix distancing themselves from Sony as it is them positioning themselves as strong indipendant publisher. They don't want to be reliant on Sony in any, way or form though.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jarrod said:
The merger was the big first sign, Wada's been keeping up the multiplatform speculation, moving network focus from PS2 to PC/mobiles, ambitious Nintendo handheld support, buying out Taito to look to new revenue sectors, etc.

I did sort of misspeak earlier though, it's not really so much about Square Enix distancing themselves from Sony as it is them positioning themselves as strong indipendant publisher. They don't want to be reliant on Sony in any, way or form though.

Now that I agree with, they don't want to be beholden to any one platform and they are definitely pushing forward strongly in the mobile and online arenas.

Andrew2

Banned
element said:
Sony owns a minority share in Insomniac. I would expect them to be bought out soon. Sony is buying all the developers who are working on 'cool' things for them.

How could Insomniac be independent while Sony holding a majority share in them? The fact Ted Price have often mentioned how he wants to keep Insomniac independent, turning down and offer from Sony prove Sony has no majority stake in them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andrew2 said:
How could Insomniac be independent while Sony holding a majority share in them? The fact Ted Price have often mentioned how he wants to keep Insomniac independent, turning down and offer from Sony prove Sony has no majority stake in them.

element said minority ;)

Andrew2 said:

He said a minority share. Sony saved Insomniac back in the day and that's why Insomniac make games exclusive for Sony platforms, now the relationship has matured because we know that Naughty Dog and Insomniac share engines etc.

Gattsu25

Banned
Andrew2 said:
Element said minority share, I believe.

Gattsu25

Banned
WasabiKing said:
I should flag you down for a Socom 3 scrimmage, dear sir!

Where's the public outcries, BTW? Oh, I forgot, this isn't EA.
Zipper's been making games for Sony for a while...this isn't exactly an unexpected turn of events

Doom_Bringer said:
He said a minority share. Sony saved Insomniac back in the day and that's why Insomniac make games exclusive for Sony platforms, now the relationship has matured because we know that Naughty Dog and Insomniac share engines etc.

Insomniac has turned down numerous buyout offers to remain independant.

artful_dodger said:
Insomniac has turned down numerous buyout offers to remain independant.

Why would they do that? BTW Insomniac is one of the best companies to work for in America. They won some award last year.

This can only mean good things for the current and future SOCOM series.

Fireteam Bravo and SOCOM 3 will receive better (and perhaps, faster) support for updates.

God knows both games need it right now.

element

Andrew2 said:
Ted Price has always said he wants to keep the studio independent. In fact, even on thier website they give out reasons for wanting to stay independent....

http://www.insomniacgames.com/about/philosophy.html
you can make a statement like that when you have been rolling in cash for years now. Insomniac has no money problems, so they have the ability to do what they want. Now make them a developer that stays alive milestone to milestone and I'm sure they would do a Barbie game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So they've whored out Ratchet & Clank yearly of their own accord? Well that's different then.... ;)

<thinks back to their yearly Spyro whoring>

Hmmmm

Mrbob

Insomniac stays independent, yet makes games exclusive for Playstation systems anyway. They are virtually part of Sony without it being official.

Sony is strengthening their first party relations big time.

Solid said:
Still cant believe Sony didnt buy Criterion Games.

Are you sure they even had a chance to do that? I've always thought Criterion liked being able to develop multiplatform games and didn't want to be strapped down to 1 platform.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SCE has generally only acquired developers that they've worked with on 2nd party projects beforehand (was Psygnosis an exception to that? I forget). Criterion obviously doesn't apply nor does Snowblind, since they were collaborating with SOE.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
element said:

You keep hitting that ice-ey spot don't you ;) ?

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
SCE has generally only acquired developers that they've worked with on 2nd party projects beforehand (was Psygnosis an exception to that? I forget). Criterion obviously doesn't apply nor does Snowblind, since they were collaborating with SOE.
Airblade was developed for SCEE. And yeah, Psygnosis was bought out before Sony released PlayStation in 1993 iirc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Airblade was developed for SCEE.
True. Fair to say that they established early on that they weren't interested in staying exclusive since they opted for third party publishers for all their later games.

Beowvlf

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Are you sure they even had a chance to do that? I've always thought Criterion liked being able to develop multiplatform games and didn't want to be strapped down to 1 platform.
I'm surprised so many people think Sony didn't bother going after Criterion simply because they didn't get them. It's not like they were going up against Eidos or somesuch. I'm willing to bet SCE was interested, but when it came down to it, Renderware was a lot more important to multiplatform-for-life EA than it was for SCE, and in the end they were willing to pay more.

IMO Sony would stand better nabbing studios like Guerrilla, up-and-comer's who display some damn impressive technical abilities and show some great promise; not to mention those kinds of studios probably cost less than 25% of what Criterion sold to EA for.

Andy787

Banned
Very nice.

Man, Sony's repertoire of developers is really becoming a force.

Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo, Tourist Trophy)
Zipper Interactive (Socom)
Team Ico (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus)
SCE Santa Monica (God of War, Kinetica)
Naughty Dog (Jak & Daxter)
Guerilla Games (Killzone)
Studio Liverpool (WipeOut, F1)
Team Soho (The Getaway)
SCE Cambridge (Primal, MediEvil, Ghosthunter)
Zenar Works (Okage: Shadow King)
Sony London (EyeToy titles)
Sony Bend (Syphon Filter)

"2nd" parties:
Insomniac (I-8, Ratchet & Clank)
Factor 5 (Lair)
Incognito (Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Jet Moto, War of the Monsters, Downhill Domination)
Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper)
Evolution Studios (World Rally Championship, Motor Storm)
Clap Hanz (Hot Shots Golf)
BigBig Studios (Pursuit Force)
Team Bondi (LA Noir)

Other partnerships:
Level-5 (Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud)
Game Republic (Genji)
Ready at Dawn (Daxter)
Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword)
Nanaon-Sha (Parappa, Vib Ribbon)
Harmonix (Frequency, Amplitude, EyeToy AntiGrav)
Pixel Arts (SkyGunner)
Bottlerocket Interactive (Mark of Kri, Rise of Kasai)
Cross Interactive (Sky Odyssey)

Some of that might not be right, and I know I'm probably missing some of the Japanese teams for lack of knowing their names (the Ape Escape and Loco Roco teams for example).

Anyway, almost all of them are absolutely top tier technologically or artistically, and most of them with excellent or very good track records. I would dare say that they've got Nintendo beat. At least they have in terms of console development this generation, imo.

typo said:
The first thing I thought was "PS3 CRIMSON SKIES BITCH!", but I forgot that MS has that license. Oh, SCE, allow Zipper to make a Crimson Skies-like game after SOCOM.
I'd take Warhawk over Crimson Skies anyday. :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:
Actually, can we round up all the 1st party studios?

Sony Computer Entertainment
-SCEJ (??? teams)
-Sony Studios Santa Monica
-Sony Studios Soho
-Sony Studios Liverpool
-Sony Studios Cambridge

Nintendo
-Nintendo EAD (6 teams)
-Nintendo Software Technology (2 teams)

...anything I've missed?
Actually just as Nintendo absorbed all it's R&D development studios into EAD, Sony merged all their internal studios into SCE WWS. So SCEJ, Sony Studios Santa Monica, Sony Studios Soho, Sony Studios Liverpool, & Sony Studios Cambridge are no longer independent development studios. Their all SCE WWS now, though SCE J/A/E all still exist, they just don't develop games anymore.

Pimpwerx

Oooh, SCEWW is a fucking juggernaut right now. They should really pool that talent to create some kickass cross-team engines. I hope the ICE engine is real. They are grabbing all the right guys IMO. The sleeper, technically-talented teams. It's a damn shame they didn't get Criterion too. That would have been the icing on the cake. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
I hope the ICE engine is real. They are grabbing all the right guys IMO.

Hopefully it is, signing these guys and giving them that engine to make SOCOM would be great. The games already have the gameplay but they aren't exactly the best graphic engines. An engine coming from ND, Insomniac and SSM would almost certainly be better than anything they could come up with on their own. The whole uniting of studios should help Sony out all round, as long as they do it properly.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
They dont want to be bought out and become another ratbag (midway) studio if everyone knows what i mean.

Top Bottom