• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA on back-compatibility: "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, too"

Jack Tretton is ultimately dismissive of backwards compatibility concerns:

I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that's an unrealistic expectation. We've reported problems on only 200 of the 8000 PlayStation 2 games. I would challenge the average consumer to say that there are significant problems with any of the games in their library.

There's more interesting stuff in the interview, too, about PSone downloads for example (still coming this year, will run on PS3 by end of year), and what Sony thinks of launch line issues.

Bebpo

Banned
He's on the money about the BC. You really can't give Sony any crap at all on that aspect since like 97% of PS2/PS1 games run flawlessly, they've given us ways to move our saves and keep our progress, and some games are even improved with faster loading. I'm sure they'll get around to fixing some of that other 3% in the coming months as well.

Though:
How many at the big launch event at the Metreon tonight?

A significant amount. We've got a major press event. Our goal is that we don't turn anybody away.

:lol :lol :lol

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Do you have a response for people experiencing backwards compatibility issues and/or television upscaling problems?

I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that's an unrealistic expectation. We've reported problems on only 200 of the 8000 PlayStation 2 games. I would challenge the average consumer to say that there are significant problems with any of the games in their library.

If you look at our competitors, one machine has zero backwards compatibility and one only has it with a third of their games.[Actually, the Wii is backwards compatible with the full GameCube library. - CK]

Why even mention your competition in your answer when you're clueless about their capability?

Vrolokus

Banned
Tretton said:
If you look at our competitors, one machine has zero backwards compatibility and one only has it with a third of their games.

What am I missing here? :\

And quoting the percentage of titles that work is kinda irrelevant... what matters is what titles don't work.

Bebpo

Banned
element said:
there are 8000 PS2 games? WTF?

I think he means PS1+PS2 and yeah, there are numbers somewhere on the site and it's like 4-5k for each.

I would guess about 50% of both PS1/PS2 totals are Japan only games since Japan has like 15 game releases a week.

Vrolokus said:
What am I missing here? :\

And quoting the percentage of titles that work is kinda irrelevant... what matters is what titles don't work.

Yeah, the good ones (besides VP2) work.

seat

neptunes said:
yeah, he might want to read up more on the consoles of his competitors.
You know, it's fine with me if Sony's PS3 comes out on top this generation, as many analysts are predicting. However, Sony is in serious need a rude awakening, and even the hardest of the hardcore Sony fanbase can't disagree with that.

So making a console have an internal scaler is harder then having my car fly and make breakfast? nice.

TBH im upset about no scaling with BC games, im sure sony thought about that and had to make some decisions though.

Vrolokus said:

Anyone that owned a PS2 and used BC knew that some titles wouldn't work and others would have a few issues but the majority would work without any issue.

seat said:
You know, it's fine with me if Sony's PS3 comes out on top this generation, as many analysts are predicting. However, Sony is in serious need a rude awakening, and even the hardest of the hardcore Sony fanbase can't disagree with that.
Jett and Bebpo seem to be doing ok.

Bebpo

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
Jett and Bebpo seem to be doing ok.

I dunno what your'e talking about. I'm not a hardcore Sony fan by any means; I just like technology :) That's why I'm finding all the problems with the PS3 and bitching about them!

I'm more of a Japanese-game loving Xbot atm if I had to go by any label

Bebpo

Banned
argon said:
Maybe he's talking about the XBox and XBox 360.

Wii isn't considered a competitor.

Honestly, I don't think he knew Wii was BC w/Gamecube. Unlike Sony, Nintendo hasn't been too loud about stating that and if you weren't paying attention to Nintendo and their products (aka. Sony USA) I could see that bit of info slipping by.

donny2112

Tretton said:
If you look at our competitors, one machine has zero backwards compatibility and one only has it with a third of their games.

The only way I could see that make sense if he considers the 360 to have no native backwards compatibility (core doesn't) and that from the entire library of Nintendo games, only GameCube can run natively on the console (NES, SNES, and N64 games not being able to run natively from cartridge on the Wii). That would still be 1/4, though.

However, that's about as asinine as Sony's position on PSP that it's about even with DS worldwide (shipments) and ahead in the U.S. (since PSP launch). Talk about having blinders on!

what happened to "fully backward compatible".. microsoft got lambasted for not being 100% compatible and now that sony has similar problems (obviously not to the same extent), everyone's ok with that?

Bebpo

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:
what happened to "fully backward compatible".. microsoft got lambasted for not being 100% compatible and now that sony has similar problems (obviously not to the same extent), everyone's ok with that?

97% and many of the "problems" with the remaining 3% aren't even game-breaking, just some skipping sound or FMVs. I'd say less than 1% are to the point of being unplayable.

How can you complain about that!?! This is AT LAUNCH. DAY 1! It's only going to get better.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SeaOfMadness said:

Sony claimed full backwards comp for the PS2 for PSOne games and IIRC the % was real close what we're seeing now on a console that has to play both the previous generation games... so yeah I don't think too many people are going to bitch... except for those who REALLY wanted to play one of the games that is having issues.

We shouldn't even compare what Sony did with their BC to what MS did...

SeaOfMadness said:

No, Microsoft got lambasted for not being ****ing backwards compatible in any kind of way that mattered. Glitches and all the other bullshit that went with it...

Dont even ****ing compare the two...not yet.

DSN2K

trying to compare to the 360's laughable BC list is not something xbots want to do....its bloody train wreck and has seriously pissed me off since day one.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Jack Tretton is ultimately dismissive of backwards compatibility concerns:

There's more interesting stuff in the interview, too, about PSone downloads for example (still coming this year, will run on PS3 by end of year), and what Sony thinks of launch line issues.

Tretton is awesome. Don't confuse him with Dille, people.
angry.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Christian said:
Prove it.

Prove what? The percentage? Go look on Sony Japan's official site. Out of testing like 8,000 games, 3% had issues and they listed those games and what their problems were.

Prove that it can only get better? Errr...how can it get worse!

SeaOfMadness said:

Um....yeah, I'm thinking it being exact reverse of X360's situation in which it's easily to list games that work than games that don't would give it more leeway, which was the biggest issue. Unless of course people just want an excuse for argumentative ammo.

medrew

The facetious part of me thought, 'oh, Wii can't play N64 games' when he talked about backwards compatibility. :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Although Tretton is kinda being a dick about it, I ultimately agree with him. Sony's BC>Nintendo's BC>>>>>MS's BC.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
He's on the money about the BC. You really can't give Sony any crap at all on that aspect since like 97% of PS2/PS1 games run flawlessly, they've given us ways to move our saves and keep our progress, and some games are even improved with faster loading. I'm sure they'll get around to fixing some of that other 3% in the coming months as well.

My litmus was if they could get 90%+ working right, and they apparently did that so it's satisfactory to me. It's almost impossible to get everything working for BC 100%, but this is a good job. I was worried for a moment after the expense of PS3s started boiling up, I thought it would be an afterthought.

Neomoto

I'm tired of Sony's bullshit. It is really pathetic to see the market leader for crying out loud constantly making false statements about their competitors in public media (not just this one article). It's just sad. Why don't you just stick to your strong points, be pride for what you actually have and will (try to) accomplish instead of this backstabbing so to speak.

Oh well, I don't care much for backwards compatibility anyway, I never used any ps1 games on my ps2 and I don't think I'll be using them on a ps3 (if I ever buy one). But the possibility of downloading ps1 games that I might have missed out on is interesting.

Top Bottom