• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA on back-compatibility: "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, too"

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
seat said:
So you're saying we shouldn't criticize Sony when they get their facts wrong? So that Sony can continue to get their facts wrong without any opposition? I think I speak for everyone who can think for themselves when I say, "**** that shit."
I think I speak for everyone who can think for themselves when I say,"Move along, jackass."

Amir0x

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
What nonsense. Why not throw in homebrew emulation through PS3 Linux to try and claim "backwards compatibility" with the SNES or Master System while you're at it?

Wii is - pending any problems yet to be discovered - 100% backwards-compatible with the GameCube and offers emulation of selected titles from earlier consoles. PS3 is backwards-compatible with (for the sake of argument) 97% of PS1 & PS2 games. Those figures stand on their own, they're both pretty impressive and there's not any need to play around with them by trying to pretend Wii is backwards-compatible with anything more than the 'Cube.

I wasn't even doing that... I was giving it another bonus, because WITHOUT those Virtual Console games it's not even FAIR to Wii to compare it to PS3's backward compatibility, it having literally over 7500 games that work flawlessly. How many games does Gamecube have? 1500 generously? Let's say 2000! 3000! No matter how you shake it, it'll never match up. If raw percentages is your game, it's THE most bullshit way of going about it because obviously the more games you have the more difficult the process of getting perfect backward compatibility.

Otherwise, I agree... Virtual Console does not count as "backward compatibility." I was being generous, to cover any possible scenarios he could argue.

LJ11

Not that I care or anything, but why didn't the interviewer correct him and or ask a follow up question saying Nintendo had full compatibility?

jaypah

Bebpo said:
Why do you care? Maybe he knew Wii was 100% BC and said it was 0%, maybe he didn't know and took a guess, maybe had a slip of the mouth and said the wrong thing, maybe he wasn't even talking about the Wii.

The truth of the matter is that no matter what he says, you know as well as the rest of us that Wii is 100% BC with GC. No one is debating that or being like "Wii isn't BC because this guy at Sony says so!!!!". Yet for some reason out of all the things brought up in this article, that gets people riled up and they feel the need to moan and scream like the guy just killed their dog.

If a Sony PR person says "The Wii costs $50,000!", you'd have a 10 page thread of people damning Sony. Saying "I hope Sony goes out of business! I hope this PR guy dies! Sony is full of evil liars! This is why I don't buy Sony! Blah Blah blah"...it's just ridiculous. They aren't bending the truth or being sneaking, they're just saying something that is factually wrong and we all know it is. One post of "he got that price wrong" would be fine enough, but yet everyone has to make it out into some evil conspiracy that Sony has to slight Nintendo and its fans.

There were a lot more important things said in this article but everyone focuses on one wrong factual statement...

PR people say something stupid about the competitors and fans of the competitors have a crazy uprising. just like when some crazy MS dude said that Sony wouldn't be able to do 1080p. hell, that still gets brought up. crazy fanboys will always use their supplied ammo. *shrugs*

Avalon

What exactly did Nintendo promised when they said they would have full backwards compatibility? Just GC or NES, SNES and N64 as well?

I think he means that Nintendo are only backwards compatible with Gamecube and not their 'whole' library, asides from VC. God knows what he means, really. Isn't the 360 somewhat backwards compatible? Jerky tits.

Avalon

The POINT of BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY is to allow you to play the back catalogue of games you already own. You know... to be COMPATIBLE with that entire BACK LIBRARY that's been released. Sony's solution allows me to do this. Nintendo's doesn't. It's not even ****ing up for debate. Virtual console is not the same goddamn thing as backwards compatibility

Pretty much sums it up. Sony PR guy was... right (I can't believe I just said that).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
VC is not "backward compatibility", it would be if there were 5 cartridge slots on the Wii, but thank God that's not the case.

The Wii is 100% BC with the Gamecube, the PS3 is 98% BC with the PS2, it's not a comparison of legacy but rather to which extent one system replaces the other for their respective pre-existing consumer base, which is what BC is for anyways. 200 games might be a small percentage of the total but it's a fairly high number, there could be some games in there people actually care about. I'm thrilled the PS3 is almost fully BC, but no matter how you spin it, 100% BC is always better than 99.9% BC, even if that full library is just one game, it's still the full library. They did a great thing with BC but if you're gonna apologize for it don't deliberately bring the competition into it.

Avalon

VC is not "backward compatibility", it would be if there were 5 cartridge slots on the Wii, but thank God that's not the case.

Couldn't there have been some kind of UBS attachment? :)

100% BC is always better than 99.9% BC,

I don't see any detailed documentation, we still don't know if the Wii is 100% backwards compatible. Yes, the Wii is just as a powered up GC... but console games can be quiet sensitive to change, something like disc speed can really screw things up.

Also, I don't know how many games that GC has, I would guess around 2,000? Are you telling me 2,000 is better then 8,000?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DarienA said:

Well, yes, just without the guitar. Which is a stupid controller limitation that can be fixed in the future.

Just waiting for a USB adapter with the PS button on it...

well, guitar hero and guitar hero 2 both work on the ps3, you just can't play them with your guitar.

why do i care that people get their facts straight?

GAF has enough problem dealing with peoples opinions. i'd like us to be straight on the facts, and i think the world would be a better place if PR people at least got the facts right.

of course he's going to talk up the PS3 as the best of all three. that's his job. i have no problems with that. the interview is boring because he basically doesn't answer the questions, doing the usual PR dance.

'so why isn't backwards compatability 100%?'
'Our competitors are worse! You can't have everything, espescially not answers to your questions!'

but i had no problem with that.

what made me roll my eyes was that people were defending him over his complete ignorance of the facts.

as i said, feel free to argue that the ps2's backwards compatability is better than the Wiis because it plays many more games. that's a valid point. that's a good point.

if Jack had made that point, I wouldn't be complaining.

i don't want to see Sony die in a fire, I just want to see them get some more PR types that can conduct interviews without coming across arrogant, or putting their feet in their mouths all the time.

people like Phil Harrison. people who know their competitors well enough to make VALID points. convincing points. not 'well i couldn't be arsed to check if they have that or not so i'm going to presume they don't and bad mouth them for it!'

you know, more PR people like Phil would be better for gamers, better for Sony fans and better for Sony.

Vormund

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well, yes, just without the guitar. Which is a stupid controller limitation that can be fixed in the future.

Just waiting for a USB adapter with the PS button on it...

I don't have guitar hero so by what your saying, the guitar plugs into the regular controller port. :/

Sony not putting the original connectors on the PS3 is a bit disappointing. Even if they just hid them behind that panel.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Ok I should have been more clearer yes the game works, no the controller doesn't.

datruth29

ROFL Sony PR has been so bad lately that when they get it right it takes us 3 pages (and then some!) to realize it. And, in all fairness to Nintendo, I would never expect the Wii to be BC with anything prior then Cube. That being said, PS3 BC kicks tons upon tons of ass.

Zeed

Banned
sony_bullshit_anim4.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
if he doesn't know a system is backwards compatible he should say 'i don't even know if Nintendo's is backwards compatible'
Well "no compatibility" is more fitting for 360 anyway, considering out of the supported XBox list, practically everything has issues similar to the 200 titles Sony listed as 'incompatible'.

Norse

you guys need to give hime some slack...guy has been working his ass of lately....and those 12 hr Gears of War sessions have taken his sleep time away. And I wont even go into how much time he spends in Viva Pinata.

Shit, as long as it took for them to crap out the 300k launch units for japan and usa, you actually think they tested all the old ps2 and ps1 games? hahahahahahahaha.....outside of a very few of us, none even have a ps3 to argue if BC is working good or not.

arhra

How many at the big launch event at the Metreon tonight?

A significant amount. We've got a major press event. Our goal is that we don't turn anybody away.
So that's what happened to Gamestop's allocation.

Terrell said:
Considering that these PR guys are part of the actual industry and feign an ignorance that not even GAF could muster... I honestly think that it's fans of said industry questioning why these people have jobs. Which is fair enough.

PR guys aren't paid to be informed about competitor's products.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
He also says "I would challenge the average consumer to say that there are significant problems with any of the games in their library."

Anyone ever heard of a little game called SOCOM3!!! A few folks out there may have it. It won't play online because the patch explodes as corrupt. Ha! Take that Jack *** Trenton.

The End

FYI

According to mobygames, there were 460 titles released for the cube in the US. Even if you're generoud and double that (even though very few GC games stayed in Japan), that's still less than 1,000.

Fafalada said:
Well "no compatibility" is more fitting for 360 anyway, considering out of the supported XBox list, practically everything has issues similar to the 200 titles Sony listed as 'incompatible'.

That's not true in the least. Out of all the Xbox games I've tried on my 360 only one had any issues and that was Forza. Since there's 10 million other race games on the 360, I didn't care and moved on.

If you're gonna be a 360 basher, at least say something true, like 50% of the backwards compat games on the 360 are poo and nobody cares.

ronito

this post will be 100%awesome!!!

well of course it's not awesome I'd like my car to fly too, doesn't mean I have to live up to what I say!

jaypah

The End said:
FYI

According to mobygames, there were 460 titles released for the cube in the US. Even if you're generoud and double that (even though very few GC games stayed in Japan), that's still less than 1,000.

awesome.

anyway, i wish MS had a better grasp of BC. i know a lot of people that were shit-faced when the realised that their old games wouldn't work. more so those that had no intention of getting online at the time.....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:
The POINT of BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY is to allow you to play the back catalogue of games you already own. You know... to be COMPATIBLE with that entire BACK LIBRARY that's been released. Sony's solution allows me to do this. Nintendo's doesn't. It's not even ****ing up for debate. Virtual console is not the same goddamn thing as backwards compatibilty.
You may see that as the point, but that's not the definition. "Backwards compatibility" is the capability to play games released on past systems on a new system. Period. Which is what the Wii does.

It might not be the TYPE of backwards compatibility you like or want, but it is A form of backwards compatibility.

And, let's face it, most casual players aren't likely to be clinging dearly to their old NES carts anyway (which is why those old ports sell like gangbusters on the GBA), unlike your hardcore gamers.

linsivvi

plagiarize said:
why do i care that people get their facts straight?

GAF has enough problem dealing with peoples opinions. i'd like us to be straight on the facts, and i think the world would be a better place if PR people at least got the facts right.

QFT

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
neptunes said:
will PSO:III work online on the Wii?
I called sega about this the other day. they said yes as long as you use your GC mem card.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
MetatronM said:
You may see that as the point, but that's not the definition. "Backwards compatibility" is the capability to play games released on past systems on a new system. Period. Which is what the Wii does.

It might not be the TYPE of backwards compatibility you like or want, but it is A form of backwards compatibility.
That argument is eight shades of ridiculous.

By your logic, my PC is "backwards compatible" with nearly every system ever released thanks to the power of MAME, WinUAE, SNES9x, and others. You're kidding, right? :lol

Koren

Amir0x said:
If raw percentages is your game, it's THE most bullshit way of going about it because obviously the more games you have the more difficult the process of getting perfect backward compatibility.
That's exactly why percentages are the most honest way to compare them. But :
- I don't see why the debate, both are all excellent
- I'm sure that Wii will have a few Gamecube games not working (see Gameboy > GBA compatibility, it's also something like a few percent of not perfectly compatible games)

Top Bottom