• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists discover fish living in the ocean underneath Antarctica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
Granted, sea life on Earth is incredibly diverse as well so it wouldn't be too surprising if aquatic life on another planet looked like SOMETHING we had on Earth.

Right. There is nothing special about the development of fins and extended tails.

We might find a new paradigm that hasn't manifested or survived on earth (10 legs spin kicking gracefully to propel), but that is way more complicated than muscles and hard skin, so it's unlikely.

So has this pocket of water been isolated from the greater ocean? If so for how long? Have these fish been developing in that ocean pocket isolated from the outside ocean for untold millennia?

Zalusithix

Anybody else cringe when seeing the "ocean underneath Antarctica" in the thread title? There is no ocean underneath the continent that is Antarctica. More accurate would be "Scientists discover fish living at sea floor under Antarctic ice shelf".

That said, life never ceases to amaze in how it can exist in the most hostile environments.

It's a good question.Maybe those fish are trap there but have not evolve there.

edit: That would be so good to find live on Europa. Even bacteria could be cool, imagine fish. Miam! ;)

Thats what I'm wondering. Them having eyes doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm thinking these were fish that were trapped relatively recently in the grand scheme of things. They are translucent so its been a while but for them to have fully developed eyes is strange.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Right. There is nothing special about the development of fins and extended tails.

We might find a new paradigm that hasn't manifested or survived on earth (10 legs spin kicking gracefully to propel), but that is way more complicated than muscles and hard skin, so it's unlikely.

It will be known as the Tatsumaking Mackerel.

Hylian7

1241262058_how-sharks-teeth-works.gif

That is some straight up Alien shit.

happypup

Thats what I'm wondering. Them having eyes doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm thinking these were fish that were trapped relatively recently in the grand scheme of things. They are translucent so its been a while but for them to have fully developed eyes is strange.

First, fish have vertebrate eyes period. Now whether that feature has been 'lost' (is no longer expressed) or not has to do with the relative benefit vs cost of producing eyes. I can't say for certain why these fish still express eyes (it could be a result of bio-luminescence in their food source, or for mating, or for a number of various other reasons) or that they are recently trapped in their new environment, and there hasn't been enough generational time for the complete loss of the expression of eyes.

The point being if it is a fish it at one point had eyes, and if it no longer has eyes it is because the cost of producing eyes was greater than the benefit of having eyes.

kirby_fox

Banned
I began to believe life could be found anywhere years ago when I learned there was life at the very bottom of the ocean in which the pressure would kill humans.

I'd be surprised if we found something organic and water based that lived in fire, or alternatively something that isn't a water-based life form.

First, fish have vertebrate eyes period. Now whether that feature has been 'lost' (is no longer expressed) or not has to do with the relative benefit vs cost of producing eyes. I can't say for certain why these fish still express eyes (it could be a result of bio-luminescence in their food source, or for mating, or for a number of various other reasons) or that they are recently trapped in their new environment, and there hasn't been enough generational time for the complete loss of the expression of eyes.

The point being if it is a fish it at one point had eyes, and if it no longer has eyes it is because the cost of producing eyes was greater than the benefit of having eyes.

Ok........I'm aware of that? What point are you trying to make?

I was simply theorizing they may be recently trapped due to them having full fledged eyes. They don't look regressed at all.

happypup

Ok........I'm aware of that? What point are you trying to make?

I was simply theorizing they may be recently trapped due to them having full fledfed eyes. They don't look regressed at all.

I made the comment in response to your 'doesn't make a whole lot of sense' comment. It makes sense for them to have eyes if the benefit of having the eyes is greater than the cost of producing them, or the cost of reducing them. The specific reason is hard to determine, but the default position for a fish is to have eyes, and the divergence of that pattern, the loss of eyes, needs justification, simply existing where no sunlight can reach it is not sufficient to expect no eyes.

I can't wait until we get around to exploring Europa!
:>

What would happen if we found fish there that look not much different than on earth?

As others have pointed out, convergent evolution exists my friend (For a more immediate example look at the convergent evolution between Pterosaurs, Birds and Bats. Front heavy bodies, super short tails, similarly shaped wings, arm wings, high metabolisms, warm blooded, "furry" coats, high nostrils. Both birds and Pterosaurs happen to have beaks. Both Bats and Pterosaurs use a complex wing membrane to fly.)
If we actually manage to find complex life there, I'd be incredibly surprised if the moon's natives didn't take on fish-like, Cephalopod-like, worm-like, or crustacean-like forms.
:p

Rad-

I began to believe life could be found anywhere years ago when I learned there was life at the very bottom of the ocean in which the pressure would kill humans.

I'd be surprised if we found something organic and water based that lived in fire, or alternatively something that isn't a water-based life form.

After I found about these dudes I don't doubt anything anymore:

eUgZODR.jpg

Tardigrades, also known as water bears, are some of the most fascinating animals in world because they can live happily in the most extreme conditions. Boil the 1mm creatures, freeze them, dry them, expose them to radiation and they're so resilient they'll still be alive 200 years later. Water bears can hack temperatures as low as -457 degrees, heat as high as 357 degrees, and 5,700 grays of radiation, when 10-20 grays would kill humans and most other animals. The animals can also live for a decade without water and even survive in space.

The Lamp

why doesn't that last 10m of sea just freeze?

The increased pressure in the deep ocean keeps water from freezing easily. The pressure also pushes molecules together, not allowing them to properly expand and form ice crystals.

Also, although we're talking about seawater, you can alternatively look at it this way:
This diagram represents the phase changes of pure water as you change pressure and temperature.

Notice if we start at the point Pressure = 1 atm (atmospheric pressure) and Temperature = 0 degrees Celsius, we have water freezing from liquid to solid.

If you take your finger and go up, increasing the pressure in a straight line, you now cross into the realm of liquid water. You would need to move left on the graph to hit the line again. In other words, at higher pressures, you now need a lower temperature to reach that freezing point of transition.

The deep water is too pressurized and not cold enough to freeze.

What would happen if we found fish there that look not much different than on earth?

Actually, that's what we most likely would find. Alien fish would still look like fish because the environment that shaped them wouldn't really be any different from the environments that shape life on earth. I imagine life on Europa would look roughly like life in deep water on earth.

Savitar

Aww look at that little ******......it's probably going to destroy us

Huh, fish with ie added to it is censored?

Is it some slang word for something I don't know.

slit

Actually, that's what we most likely would find. Alien fish would still look like fish because the environment that shaped them wouldn't really be any different from the environments that shape life on earth. I imagine life on Europa would look roughly like life in deep water on earth.

I agree with this to a point, however, that doesn't necessarily mean it will look like fish that live here today. I mean if we saw some of the extinct species that used to be on this planet show up all of a sudden, a lot of people would probably shit their pants.

This is my previous departments work. My friends are famous for a day!

Ross Powell taught several of my classes when I was in undergrad. All his powerpoints were in comic sans. The mark of a true renown scientist.

I made the comment in response to your 'doesn't make a whole lot of sense' comment. It makes sense for them to have eyes if the benefit of having the eyes is greater than the cost of producing them, or the cost of reducing them. The specific reason is hard to determine, but the default position for a fish is to have eyes, and the divergence of that pattern, the loss of eyes, needs justification, simply existing where no sunlight can reach it is not sufficient to expect no eyes.

Ah yeah, that's fair and yes you are correct. Its just IF they were to have been down there for god knows how long I would have assumed they would have regressed by now. Since there is zero light there. But there may be like you said other reasons, maybe there is some sort of bio-luminescent prey that eat down there or something we have yet to discover.

After I found about these dudes I don't doubt anything anymore:

These things are mind blowing to me. They are practically immortal. Like just imagine having these abilities as a human. My god we would be unstoppable.

I agree with this to a point, however, that doesn't necessarily mean it will look like fish that live here today. I mean if we saw some of the extinct species that used to be on this planet show up all of a sudden, a lot of people would probably shit their pants.

Well yes, I could have expanded that to include all past time periods. Europan fish could be eyeless or jawless or sea scorpions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom