• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say mysterious oumuamua object could be alien spacecraft

Did they have radar data for the Irish ufo?

Which one?

A lot of the US Navy stories have radar confirmation alongside sightings of objects suddenly accelerating (which is pretty much impossible for a "natural" phenomenon"), suddenly changing trajectory (which is possible for objects falling through the atmosphere), or tracking the Naval aircraft (which is not possible for a natural object beyond coincidence). Some of the sightings also have objects accelerating upwards and disappearing off radar, which would also be impossible for a natural object.

L0wMax

Which one?

A lot of the US Navy stories have radar confirmation alongside sightings of objects suddenly accelerating (which is pretty much impossible for a "natural" phenomenon"), suddenly changing trajectory (which is possible for objects falling through the atmosphere), or tracking the Naval aircraft (which is not possible for a natural object beyond coincidence). Some of the sightings also have objects accelerating upwards and disappearing off radar, which would also be impossible for a natural object.
Well, impossible for natural objects that we know of. It's still possible there are other strange earthly things that we have not yet discovered.

I was referring to this ufo spotted over Ireland. I don't think they have radar data on it.

Well, impossible for natural objects that we know of. It's still possible there are other strange earthly things that we have not yet discovered.

I was referring to this ufo spotted over Ireland. I don't think they have radar data on it.

Where does the energy come from for a stationary object hovering over the ocean (per one of the most recently discussed events) to accelerate to supersonic speeds before shooting upwards?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/unidentified-flying-object-navy.html

“We were at least 40 miles away, and in less than a minute this thing was already at our cap point,” Commander Fravor, who has since retired from the Navy, said in the interview.

This alone rules out natural phenomenon - no solid natural object can go from hovering over the ocean stationary to Mach 4 in atmosphere. Conservation of energy proves that. The energy source must be within the object.

There are also plenty of Naval reports of USOs entering/leaving the ocean at high speed. That is also physically impossible, particularly entering the water.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think the most interesting piece of the Harvard researcher’s conclusions has been glossed over

According to their calculations, Oumuamua is less than a millimeter thin, but very wide like a sail, harnessing solar radiation to propel itself – similar to the spaceship used by Count Dooku in the "Star Wars" films.

Also some other interesting tidbits

Metro said:
The excess acceleration of `Oumuamua was detected at mutiple times, ruling out an impulsive kick due to a break up of the object,’ Professor Loeb told DailyGalaxy.com.

The only other explanation that comes to mind is the extra force exerted on `Oumuamua by sunlight. In order for it to be effective, `Oumuamua needs to be less than a millimeter in thickness, like a sail. This led us to suggest that it may be a light-sail produced by an alien civilization.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/13/harvard-professor-insists-oumuamuas-acceleration-is-alien-technology-and-he-cannot-think-of-another-explanation-8131573

L0wMax

I think the most interesting piece of the Harvard researcher’s conclusions has been glossed over

Also some other interesting tidbits

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/13/harvard-professor-insists-oumuamuas-acceleration-is-alien-technology-and-he-cannot-think-of-another-explanation-8131573

This documentary concludes that it's basically a chunk of ice with a thin carbon candy shell that formed from millions of years of exposure to interstellar radiation, which explains why it doesn't have a visible tail, yet accelerated like a comet would when it got close to the sun.

Chittagong

Gold Member

This documentary concludes that it's basically a chunk of ice with a thin carbon candy shell that formed from millions of years of exposure to interstellar radiation, which explains why it doesn't have a visible tail, yet accelerated like a comet would when it got close to the sun.

Absolutely fascinating, thanks for sharing. The document explains well the shape, and the lack of tail, but I guess it leaves open, or in fact contradics, the acceleration of the object.

L0wMax

Absolutely fascinating, thanks for sharing. The document explains well the shape, and the lack of tail, but I guess it leaves open, or in fact contradics, the acceleration of the object.
I couldn't remember if it addressed the acceleration or not.

Edit: yea they don't mention the non-gravitational acceleration in that video:
Wikipedia said:
On 27 June 2018, astronomers reported a non-gravitational acceleration to ʻOumuamua's trajectory, potentially consistent with a push from solar radiation pressure.[19][20][52] Initial speculation as to the cause of this acceleration pointed to comet off-gassing,[53] whereby portions of the object are ejected as the sun heats the surface. However, multiple objections have been raised to this possibility. Researchers point out that no such tail of gasses was ever observed following the object. Additionally, the anomalous acceleration was not observed when ʻOumuamua was passing at its closest to the sun as would be expected. A follow up analysis of these claims identifies that, were ʻOumuamua a comet, the off-gassing should have caused such an increase in rotational torque as to tear the object apart.

Last edited:

The smaller size supports the theory that outgassing from the object—frozen gases heating up as 'Oumuamua neared the Sun—could have acted as thrusters to accelerate its movement (see short video, from NASA, above). In absence of other evidence, this natural theory seems more plausible than a visit from an alien probe.

Then where is the tail from the outgassing?

Top Bottom