• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say mysterious oumuamua object could be alien spacecraft

bigedole

So is the general theory that at some point the Universe will stop expanding and begin to contract until the singularity is recreated leading to another big bang? I think I read somewhere that we could prove both that the Universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion has been slowing down using light wavelengths or something?

royox

If you wanna go down the road of magical thinking, then ANYTHING can be true. I don't see the point.

No I'm not. But you are talking about theory (AND YES, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SCIENTIST MEANING OF THE WORD THEORY, I'M A CHEMIST!) it's not been demonstrated. I try to not talk about things I really don't know 100% as absolute facts. I don't believe an infinite universe can have a center (because by the meaning of infinite a "center" can't exist) but I can theorise that if a center existed, that would be the only point not moving....if there weren't multiple universes moving around a multiverse center (brain exploding).

Nymphae

Banned
So is the general theory that at some point the Universe will stop expanding and begin to contract until the singularity is recreated leading to another big bang? I think I read somewhere that we could prove both that the Universe is expanding, and that the rate of expansion has been slowing down using light wavelengths or something?

I thought there isn't enough observable matter for that to occur. The universe is slated to die in the Big Freeze (the heat death of the universe as a result of the constant expansion), isn't it?

Last edited:

bigedole

I thought there isn't enough observable matter for that to occur. The universe is slated to die in the Big Freeze (the heat death of the universe as a result of the constant expansion), isn't it?

Beats me, it's a fascinating subject and I want to hear more! I used to follow this blog called waitbutwhy that had a couple good discussions about space, but it kind of died off last year I guess.

julio_grr

it's not been demonstrated.
Hmmm I am not sure any physic theory ever has been desmonstrated :) The only thing we can do is disprove it by experience. Curently the general relativity is the only one regarding the universe that has never been disproved (meaning every experience / observation ever has always confirmed it), and it has been like that for more than one century so I would not put my money on any other one...
if a center existed, that would be the only point not moving....
As in a totaulogy ? Then it does not add any new information.

Nymphae

Banned
Beats me, it's a fascinating subject and I want to hear more! I used to follow this blog called waitbutwhy that had a couple good discussions about space, but it kind of died off last year I guess.

I always suggest people read Michio Kaku's books, maybe there are better authors out there, but I found his books to be very accessible for people who don't know very much. Hyperspace is the one I usually suggest.

LordPezix

Yes but the observed physical phenomena we know about apply everywhere in the universe. We're not that blind to what's possible and what isn't in terms of energy and matter. For example, humans have created here on earth by artificial means states of exotic matter and temperatures far in excess of anything in the current observable universe sans black holes and the first stages of the big bang.

Granted, its trajectory is super suspect. If it is a disguised alien interstellar probe, it's definitely probing Earth's shit:

What you are saying is true.

All I am saying is that for all we know these bastards could be using energy from the 4th or 5th dimension that isn't observable to us.

The crazy thing is if this an alien craft, not only could it have been possible they have achieved inter galactic travel but also some how, almost achieve immortality?

Andromeda is our closest neighboring galaxy... at a staggering 2.5 million light years away. What crew and or being can survive for what... a billion years given the craft isn't even traveling at light speed?

I don't know what this thing is but if it is indeed some alien craft. My tiny human mind can't even begin to fathom how.

Some say dark energy will go from pushing things apart to pulling things together. There was also talk of evidence of past collapses remaining
Scientists May Have Just Found Evidence For Previous Universes That Existed Before Our Own
Scientists have claimed that evidence for past universes may exist in the night sky – namely the remnants of black holes from another universe.
As reported by New Scientist, the idea is based around something called conformal cyclic cosmology (CCC). This is the theory that our universe goes through constant cycles of Big Bangs and compressions, rather than having started from a single Big Bang.
While most of the universe would be destroyed from one cycle to the next, these scientists claim that some electromagnetic radiation could survive the recycling process. Their findings are reported on arXiv.
“What we claim we’re seeing is the final remnant after a black hole has evaporated away in the previous aeon,” University of Oxford mathematical physicist Roger Penrose, co-author on the study and co-creator of CCC theory, told New Scientist.-source article
The crazy thing is if this an alien craft, not only could it have been possible they have achieved inter galactic travel but also some how, almost achieve immortality?

If it was highly advanced aliens, they may even have advanced nanotech. Advanced nanotech within the solar system is enough to basically create an instant army and easily take over earth.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

There was an idea in the early days of science fiction called a "berserker probe". Basically aliens would send out space probes searching for intelligence, and if they found it, they would destroy that planet.

Which means in this case, we didn't pass the intelligence test.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
A long object that is mainly metallic in composition isn't considered a a probe/ship? What rocks have ever been observed to be like this?

Speaking of aliens.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the whole Roswell thing, isn't it a fact the US government found something? Now whether it was an extraterrestrial spacecraft is the question but it seems like the fact that the US government did indeed find something crashed is too often forgotten and mighty strange.

The trajectory only seems interesting if you are thinking of our solar system as stationary. But we are moving through space like this:

NVov6VA.gif

It's not strange for us to intersect with another object in space.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Speaking of aliens.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the whole Roswell thing, isn't it a fact the US government found something? Now whether it was an extraterrestrial spacecraft is the question but it seems like the fact that the US government did indeed find something crashed is too often forgotten and mighty strange.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Most of the witnesses who claimed to have seen distinctly alien bodies have been found to have contradictions in their stories, actually. One of the major researchers, Kevin Randle, has given up for the most part on the "extraterrestrial crash" story.

If Roswell was something beyond a weather ballon (which it seems to have been), it was either a US or Soviet military experiment, potentially involved human (and child) experimentation. With Project Paperclip, the US government sending children (potentially diseased or dying children) up to study the effects of high altitudes or even zero-g on the human body is entirely possible, and the Soviets would have done it in a heartbeat.

highrider

Banned
The stupid name alone has caused me to summarily dismiss this, and I just think alien stuff would be more like The Covenant, my default alien imagery.

L0wMax

I think this story involving Cmdr. David Fravor is one of the most fascinating because not only do we have four credible witnesses (all NAVY pilots), but there's video and radar evidence. Not only that, but the former head of the pentagon's UFO investigation program came out and said that these things are indeed out there and they've identified a bunch of different types of these "aircraft".

I think this story involving Cmdr. David Fravor is one of the most fascinating because not only do we have four credible witnesses (all NAVY pilots), but there's video and radar evidence. Not only that, but the former head of the pentagon's UFO investigation program came out and said that these things are indeed out there and they've identified a bunch of different types of these "aircraft".

With the potential for PTSD among military personnel on the one hand and a vested interest in the Gov't handwaving and throwing disinformation to cover up military experiments on the other hand, I don't think the fact that they are Navy pilots means anything at all, personally.

bigedole

What you are saying is true.

All I am saying is that for all we know these bastards could be using energy from the 4th or 5th dimension that isn't observable to us.

Andromeda is our closest neighboring galaxy... at a staggering 2.5 million light years away. What crew and or being can survive for what... a billion years given the craft isn't even traveling at light speed?

I don't know what this thing is but if it is indeed some alien craft. My tiny human mind can't even begin to fathom how.

Why do you assume this intelligent alien life has to come from another galaxy? Milky way is flippin huge with billions of planets.

royox

There was an idea in the early days of science fiction called a "berserker probe". Basically aliens would send out space probes searching for intelligence, and if they found it, they would destroy that planet.

Which means in this case, we didn't pass the intelligence test.

Give it time. The thing maybe is still returning to the home planet or to a distance close enough to send them a signal or the information needed.

Or maybe it's reaching the mass relay that will teleport it directly to their Space R&D HQ.

That, the thing only needed like 2 years and a half to travel from pluto's orbit to the god damn Sun, it's fast as fuck

GermanZepp

The stupid name alone has caused me to summarily dismiss this, and I just think alien stuff would be more like The Covenant, my default alien imagery.

It's a hawaian word (cause i think the obserbatory who find it it's from there) and for the naming of the object a linguistic dude and a native hawaiian fellow were consulted, and the meaning of "oumuamua" it's very cool.

Hudo

If there happens to be an alien civilisation out there capable of interstellar flight, we are clearly not worth their time. From their perspective, we must look like primitive apes throwing pieces of shit at each other (which, let's be honest, is actually true).

But it's very likely just some Asteroid that got hit by something and went off course. It looks pretty cool, though.

i love this stuff and am all for it. but theres no reason why the Navy pilots would be in the know on top secret govt tech

LordPezix

Why do you assume this intelligent alien life has to come from another galaxy? Milky way is flippin huge with billions of planets.

Oh I was just going along with what other people were saying about it. I have no flipping clue where this thing came from. For all I know it opened up a portal using dimension door cast by a 16th lvl arch mage.....

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you wanna go down the road of magical thinking, then ANYTHING can be true. I don't see the point.
You cant prove the stars that you see at night still exist cause light travels very slowly in relative to space/distance itself.

L0wMax

Interesting article with audio recordings from multiple pilots that witnessed a UFO over Co Kerry, Ireland on Friday.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/listen-pilots-report-multiple-ufo-sightings-in-irish-airspace-investigation-underway-37519555.html
This one has actual radar data:

Then there's the ones around nuclear weapons sites that will allegedly fuck with the electronics:

It's a shame the scientific method can't be applied to these sightings. You need a repeatable experiment, and there's no way to do that when you can't predict when or where the object will appear.

Reminds me of one of my favorite books and book series ever. Seriously if you haven't read these books, you should.

IwUV0Kn.jpg

I wish they would let Morgan Freeman make this.

L0wMax

Not sure, but one of the pilots stated that the lights ‘climbed away at speed’. Meteors fall, but don’t ‘climb’?
It could also be ball lightning or some other natural phenomenon. But those are no fun lol.

Top Bottom