• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMDb - Wikipedia - RottenTomatoes -Edgar's Blog - Edgar's Twitter

Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Alison Pill, Brandon Routh, Jason Schwartzman

Director: Edgar Wright

Official Plot Synopsis: Meet charming and jobless Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera). A bass guitarist for garage band Sex Bob-omb, the 22-year-old has just met the girl of his dreams…literally. The only catch to winning Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)? Her seven evil exes are coming to kill him. Genre-smashing filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) tells the amazing story of one romantic slacker’s quest to power up with love in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Scott Pilgrim has never had a problem getting a girlfriend. It’s getting rid of them that proves difficult. From the girl who kicked his heart’s ass–and now is back in town–to the teenage distraction he’s trying to shake when Ramona rollerblades into his world, love hasn’t been easy. He soon discovers, however, his new crush has the most unusual baggage of all: a nefarious league of exes controls her love life and will do whatever it takes to eliminate him as a suitor.

As Scott gets closer to Ramona, he must face an increasingly vicious rogues’ gallery from her past–from infamous skateboarders to vegan rock stars and fearsomely identical twins. And if he hopes to win his true love, he must vanquish them all before it really is game over.

First Impressions

Jason Reitman (director of Up In The Air, Juno, Thank You For Smoking):

In London, @edgarwright showed me 30min of Scott Pilgrim. While sworn to secrecy (so much, surprised blood wasn’t demanded) I will say this: It is a game changer for Edgar and the genre. It moves the speed of light and carries more unadulterated joy than Ive seen in recent cinema. [Scott Pilgrim] does what everyone our age has been dreaming about: achieves the first all encompassing film of the joystick generation. I’m in awe of the sheer control in the filmmaking. It feels like a “Matrix” for love and how willing we are to fight for it. If I had a movie coming out next year, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near it. Hats off my friend. Can’t get it out of my head.

Greg Motolla (director of Superbad, Adventureland, the upcoming Paul):

Be very jealous of me. I’ve seen an entire cut of SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD. Edgar Wright has made a classic (again)! It’s amazing. … I would say that Scott Pilgrim is the wittiest action movie you’ll ever see, but that’s just the half of it. … Needless to say, Michael Cera is perfect. In fact, every single performance is incredible. You’ve got something special to look forward to. … The filmmaking is so insanely good, I retired halfway through the movie. (looking forward to the pension checks, tho)

Test Screening Reviews:
Edgar Wright has once again knocked it out of the park. I don’t know how commercial this film can be, due to it’s subject matter (it’s basically for nerds only, my wife liked it, but not nearly as much as I did), but goddamnit it’s awesome.

2.25.10 - New Jersey Test Screening Reviews

3.17.10 - 1st Poster

3.25.10 - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World TRAILER is HERE.
- awesome .gifs courtesy via OneEightZero
- 66 High Resolution Trailer Caps

5.31.10 - TRAILER #2

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World hits theaters August 13th.

gdt

OH MY GOD

Shit is goin' down fellas. Don't fuck with the Scott.

I hope he has the same coat from the books. It was badass :lol .

Another (older) still:

scottpilgrim-uni2010firstlook-full-01.jpg

Blader

I started reading the books a few days ago; it's one of the coolest fucking things ever. Cannot wait for this movie.

Though am I a little nervous about Cera as Scott.

gdt

That cast looks perfect.

August though? It's a ways away.

I hope the final book comes out before the movie. Also, this movie is either gonna be pretty long, or paced exteremly quickly. Fitting six graphic novels into one movie is alot.

AHUJFSAOIHDFSADOFHDSLJFHSDLF

FINALLY IT MATERIALIZES HASHNDANISADJADIFJSDKFNMSDF

I CANT HANDLE THIS. MASSIVE GOOSEBUMPS. THE GODDAMN FLAMING FUCKING SWORD IS IN IT. HE'D BETTER
PULL IT OUTTA HIS GODDAMN THROAT.

GIMEEGIMEEGIMEEGIMEE.

This is literally that one movie that you ALWAYS want, but never actually expect to get. LET ALONE HAVE IT BE DIRECTED BY EDGER FUCKING WRIGHT.

gdt5016 said:
That cast looks perfect.

August though? It's a ways away.

I hope the final book comes out before the movie. Also, this movie is either gonna be pretty long, or paced exteremly quickly. Fitting six graphic novels into one movie is alot.

See, I thought the same thing at first. But, there's a lot of filler (I don't mean filler in the normal sense, every line and panel in the books is golden. I mean things that COULD be cut and not have it affect the movie.) that could be shaved off and if the script is streamlined and paced well enough, I could see this being a very good 2 hour movie or so. I mean wasn't Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead around 2 hours? (I think SotD was a little shorter) So Edgar clearly doesn't stick to some belief of how short movies should be and makes them as long as they need to be without being boring.

Ceres

Banned
So sad that the Lee's Palace mural is pretty much no more but it'll be nice to see it once again in the movie.

Btw, for those interested

www.edgarwrighthere.com

That is Edgar's blog. Has all the production videos they filmed while making it (which are also available on the movie's site) but also TONS of behind the scenes pictures, however you need to go back to around April to see where he started posting them. Filming concluded around August I think and thus he stopped posting them.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Btw, for those interested

www.edgarwrighthere.com

That is Edgar's blog. Has all the production videos they filmed while making it (which are also available on the movie's site) but also TONS of behind the scenes pictures, however you need to go back to around April to see where he started posting them. Filming concluded around August I think and thus he stopped posting them.

added to OP!

Weenerz said:
Michael Cera, ugh.

:lol Just wait until you see Youth In Revolt. That will be a nice warmup for this awesomeness.

Not sure if I should be excited for this or not. I read the first 3 books and had a tough time getting into it. It will be interesting to see how they convert some of the wackier scenes into live action though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something about blue hair in real life looks idiotic. But otherwise, I'm looking forward to it. A movie filmed in Toronto that's actually set in Toronto? Fuck yes. :lol

gdt

firehawk12 said:
Something about blue hair in real life looks idiotic. But otherwise, I'm looking forward to it. A movie filmed in Toronto that's actually set in Toronto? Fuck yes. :lol

I think it looks pretty good actually. But that might be that Winstead is PERFECT as Ramona. At least from a looks perspective.

ezekial45

Banned
I cannot wait to see this movie! :D :D :D :D I'm all giddy after seeing the pics. It looks so great!

I'm hoping that a teaser or a trailer will be released soon.

EDIT: I have to say that Mary Elizabeth Winstead is fucking perfect as Ramona. :D

EDIT: Also, Brad Allen was the fight choreographer, so i'm sure that the fights will be awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
gdt5016 said:
I think it looks pretty good actually. But that might be that Winstead is PERFECT as Ramona. At least from a looks perspective.

Yeah, I can see it. I just have a thing with blue hair in real life. It rarely works, which is why most people go with green or purple or something close to blue but not actually blue (unless they go all out and just wear a wig that is).

I know it's a weird complaint, but that's what you get when you have manga conventions twice interpolated I suppose.

Given how Hollywood works though, I suppose I should just be happy that they kept the Chinese/Asian characters Asian and just shut up. :lol

gdt

Blader5489 said:
Really? I'm just about done with the second book and Cera doesn't really seem like a good fit for Scott.

That was my initial worry. But I figure Wright is a strong director who wants to fit the books (as you can see by the rest of the cast), so he'll push Cera to do Scott right. I hope.

Oli

Definitely one movie I will go and see. I don't expect it to be as awesome as the books (how could it be?) but I'm optimistic about it none the less.

Cast looks good except for Knives, something's just off about her. Maybe it's the hair? It was red in the book, and I don't like it being the same color as Ramona's.

Just read this books 1-5. I read a lot of comics and somehow this one slipped through my fairly wide net. Its soooo good. On the one hand I can't believe i missed it all this time, on the other hand it seems like the gap between volumes is pretty lengthy so waiting till now is probably the better way to read it. Man i want that last volume to come out ASAP

Also looking forward to the movie now. Cera is a little concerning, but maybe this is a time where he breaks out of his mold (that he does really well) and captures the character

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Cera better not ruin the movie (please kid--learn how to act).

That girl with the blue hair next to Cera is hot-hot-hot!

Gilby

Count Dookkake said:
If I squint I can pretend that is a pic from No More Heroes: The Motion Picture.

OMG! I never realized how much that could kick ass. All they would have to do is change some dialogue and add kill bill amounts of blood!

I just saw the first official shot it's exactly what I imagined. Worst part is O'Malley ever so often teases stuff about the movie on twitter..Plays over the song waiting is the hardest part over and over in my head.

Phntmbanana

Neo Member
This actually looks really great...and I trust Edgar Wright with a lot more tough stuff than this already awesome looking comic

So excited about this. :D
DanielPlainview said:
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World hits theaters late August.
Is that officially confirmed anywhere?
BenjaminBirdie said:
Goodnight, sweet thread title.

Goodnight.
It had a good run. I bumped it one last time today w/ the photo from the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom