• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pai Pai Master said:
The extended park scene made that first date of theirs flow way better and have a lot more impact. I feel like just one or two more scenes like that could have given Ramona's side of the relationship a lot more weight. If not, they really should have gone with a similar pacing of the books, perhaps stuck a "a few weeks/months later" transition in at some point. Scott and Ramona are supposed to get through all this together over the course of a year, not a couple of days.

Yea, that was my only complaint really...about 40 pages back :lol

ultron87

The different timescale of the movie versus the books actually works fairly well.

In the movie Scott realizes that he doesn't actually love Ramona yet,
which is why the Power of Love doesn't work very well for him.
It's more about his personal journey and bettering himself that allows him to succeed.

Just as Knives at the start of the movie was a simple solution to keep Scott from facing his problems, Ramona wasn't this amazing dream girl who would make everything better if the could just be with her.

Darkky

Saw the DVD Combo going at 24.99 on Amazon.com. Is it worth the money? I have yet to watch this movie but the reviews seem to be pretty positive thus far. Looks like it can be a good Christmas get-together flick of sorts. :D

Darkky said:
Saw the DVD Combo going at 24.99 on Amazon.com. Is it worth the money? I have yet to watch this movie but the reviews seem to be pretty positive thus far. Looks like it can be a good Christmas get-together flick of sorts. :D
It's a good movie but it's not for everyone

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Darkky said:
You'll either love it to death or want your money back.

big ander

I feel like I've gone through this DVD more than I have any dvd in years and I've still barely scratched the surface on these special features. :D so much love

God damn Cera looks so hipster in that video. I know people here don't like how the term is thrown around so much, but him in that video warrants it

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Discotheque said:
God damn Cera looks so hipster in that video. I know people here don't like how the term is thrown around so much, but him in that video warrants it
Pffft, he actually looks a lot more normal in that vid than in a lot of the PR appearances he's done for this film.

jediyoshi

Discotheque said:

I somehow doubt he cares about how serious his image is to be taken.

Also,

paperheart1.jpg

way more

Pai Pai Master said:
Subspace/Hyperspace would be a typical science-fictiony parallel universe that allows for quick travel...in Scott Pilgrim it's a technology that's readily available in the US but not in Canada (like all the latest tech and gadgets...). There just happens to be a useful subspace highway Ramona uses for her routes that runs right through Scott's head, which is why she appears in his dreams.

This is why the "it's all from the perspective of Scott, he's a unreliable narrator," theory makes no sense. They've established he lives in some bizarre world with cartoon physics but it's also a psychological subjective portrait at the same time?

He doesn't care? Really? Oh no, here's me hoping he was browsing Gaf right now looking for style tips.

Dude looks like a dork. But he was a great Scott Pilgrim, there were better alternatives out there for sure. But I was amazed that he didn't ruin this film for me. Major props to Edgar Wright.

derFeef

Discotheque said:
I thought I figured out what defines a hipster, but it looks like I am still miles off :lol

Dictionary.com defines "hipster" as "hiphugger underpants for women"

Ergo, Michael Cera is a woman's undergarment.

Someone should put this in the OP. That way we don't have any more confusion about the term.

Jintor

mac said:
This is why the "it's all from the perspective of Scott, he's a unreliable narrator," theory makes no sense. They've established he lives in some bizarre world with cartoon physics but it's also a psychological subjective portrait at the same time?

There's no reason he can't just make up whatever it is other characters are saying if he's an unreliable narrator. She could have been talking about... I don't know... UPS or something. Who knows, man?

Mr. Sam

RadioHeadAche said:
Dictionary.com defines "hipster" as "hiphugger underpants for women"

Ergo, Michael Cera is a woman's undergarment.

Someone should put this in the OP. That way we don't have any more confusion about the term.

I saw some underpants labelled "hipster" at the weekend. Stood there dumbfounded for about a minute. Then I went, "Oh, because it covers your hips!" and left. Someone should make a movie about my life.

VariantX04

Yeah, Wright and O'Malley signed the back of it. Whenever fans pass by they drop coins near it to pay tribute to Lucas Lee. :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jintor said:
There's no reason he can't just make up whatever it is other characters are saying if he's an unreliable narrator. She could have been talking about... I don't know... UPS or something. Who knows, man?

The comic establishes Scott as an unreliable narrator much more clearly, to be fair. Yes, Scott's reality does include people with super martial arts powers, and people like Tod Ingram do actually have psychic powers. But it's complicated by the fact that specific examples are given where Scott's "memory cam" have distorted reality for the reader in past volumes.

But then there's no rule that a surreal universe cannot have unreliable narration in it. The important point is that the "cartoon" aspects of the world are not what Scott is lying to himself (and the audience) about. He's lying about his behavior, the true nature of his relationships, and how other people react to what he does and says.

I do think the movie does a good job of getting across his problem with regards to how he treats poor Knives after Ramona comes along. He's very clearly deeply immature and massively self deceptive there.

masud

Banned
Anyone having problems with their blu ray copy? I can't play it with the HP mediasmart sw. It's weird the menu's will load and it will play the deleted scenes but it crashes the player whenever the actual movie starts.

Chorazin

masud said:
Anyone having problems with their blu ray copy? I can't play it with the HP mediasmart sw. It's weird the menu's will load and it will play the deleted scenes but it crashes the player whenever the actual movie starts.

Doesn't sound like it's a problem with the blu-ray, but the software you're using.

VariantX04

Finally got a chance to watch the Blu-ray. What did you guys think of the making-of? Heartwarming stuff.

I can't put into words how awesome Edgar Wright is.

Just saw this for the first time. Really liked it.

I've had a crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead for awhile now.
Glad to see her get some bigger roles with this and Die Hard.

Also I :lol at Anne.

big ander

Buckethead said:
Just saw this for the first time. Really liked it.

I've had a crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead for awhile now.
Glad to see her get some bigger roles with this and Die Hard.

Also I :lol at Anne.
Always kills me:
Roxy Richter: [southern accent] Oh I'd love to postpone, but I just cashed in my last rain check.
Scott Pilgrim: Where's that from?
Roxy Richter: My brain!
:lol :lol :lol

AgentWhiskersX said:
Alison Pill is adorable in the music featurette. :3
Ahhhhhh I need to get back home so I can tear through the BD. Want so badly.

derFeef

SketchTheArtist said:
Watch it again and look for ambient and background sound that complements dialogue. Seriously, they're everywhere!
Yeah, need to wait UNTIL MARCH to get the bluray here. Maybe I should just import it - I guess it´s worth it.

big ander said:
Always kills me:
Yeah that's awesome. :lol

I'm sure it's not that uncommon but I totally say "my brain" in retort to people asking me where I get stuff from. I felt a little cooler or something :p

Saw this last night and thought it was one of the most enjoyable movies I have ever seen. I hadn't read the comics, never seen a trailer, or knew anything about it other than a few shots here and there. So I really had no expectations. I actually though I was going to hate it.

Wow. As soon as the fighting started I was pretty much in awe. The only thing that pisses me off is that I didn't go see it in the theater.

The funniest things in the movie are always based on the delivery.

'Gelato isn't vegan?
ITS MILK 'N EGGS, BITCH.

I especially love

*INTENSE CLOSE UP ON GIDEON'S EYES* SCOTT PILGRIM!!

...Heeeeey buddy!

I saw this the other day. The only flaws i saw in the movie were those i found in the books. The fights were largely over way too damn fast.

Scullibundo said:

'Gelato isn't vegan?
ITS MILK 'N EGGS, BITCH.

I especially love

...Heeeeey buddy!
Schwartzman is seriously great in this. The alternate takes of Gideon and Ramona getting into the limo are hilarious.

"Watch your fingers. You're gonna need those."

big ander

Scullibundo said:

'Gelato isn't vegan?
ITS MILK 'N EGGS, BITCH.

I especially love

...Heeeeey buddy!
"Scott Pilgrim, you're the salt of the earth."
"Thanks Kim."
"I meant scum of the earth."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom