• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCOTUS allows state assault weapons bans to stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
PBS said:
The Supreme Court has rejected challenges to assault weapons bans in Connecticut and New York, in the aftermath of the shooting attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that left 50 people dead.

The justices on Monday left in place a lower court ruling that upheld laws that were passed in response to another mass shooting involving a semi-automatic weapon, the elementary school attack in Newtown, Connecticut.

It's a step.

Turn me over to the gun nuts if old.

Link: PBS article

While certainly the best ruling one could hope for in that specific case, the US really does need more laws on the federal level regarding Gun Control.

State level laws are not enough.

KDR_11k

Can't see the vote split anywhere, a 4-4 would automatically accept the lower court's ruling so that might have happened here?

While certainly the best ruling one could hope for in that specific case, the US really does need more laws on the federal level regarding Gun Control.

At least it shows that the court is willing to side against the gun lobby. It's just been loss after loss for decades now.

Did they not review it or did they vote and end up in a tie?

Lately they've just been letting lower court rulings stand because the court is short a member.

platocplx

yep because if the state over has lax laws then it doesnt matter what laws happen in your state. .

yep because if the state over has lax laws then it doesnt matter what laws happen in your state. .
Yeah it's a tough situation. Just that the court didn't completely side with the gun lobby is the real news here. It's sad that I'm excited about this centimeter of progress.

Makes rational sense - the left-leaning members know they don't have enough votes to change things overall and the right-leaning members know it'd just end in a tie and give gun control activists cover in that region of the country.

collige

Banned
Not surprising considering there was a national ban on the books for a decade that didn't get struck down, but common sense rulings are always good.

platocplx

Hence Chicago.

yup. Its fucking insane to me how states have zero liability for private sellers to just "use their discretion" when selling guns to people.

its so easy to where you can go a state over, have a private seller that may gun run and saw off serial numbers etc. bam illegal gun.

It's going to be very interesting to see republican opposition to Clinton's SC nom. If democrats retake the senate I would not be stunned if her nominee faces an unrelenting filibuster, perhaps resulting in democrats killing it. This is going to be a pick that shifts the court ideologically and likely will begin the assault on second amendment rights (or perceived rights, depending on our perspective). It will also shift the court on other issues as well obviously.

It's going to be a titanic fight that I don't see many republicans giving up on. Hopefully McCain loses his senate seat in November to help lower the chance of a "gang of x" compromise deal being made.

I think republicans would be foolish to give democrats cover to shitcan the filibuster considering that Hillary could potentially have 2-3 SC nominations in her first term. But given that senate republicans have constantly acted outside the lines of basic reason, I wouldn't be stunned if they fuck themselves here.

yup. Its fucking insane to me how states have zero liability for private sellers to just "use their discretion" when selling guns to people.

its so easy to where you can go a state over, have a private seller that may gun run and saw off serial numbers etc. bam illegal gun.

I remember watching like a documentary or something where college kids were driving guns up from Georgia or Alabama to be used in Chicago/Detroit.

They legally bought like 10-12 guns and proceeded to transport them up state and sell them illegally. I believe crossing state lines with that many guns might be a crime too but I can never tell with our gun laws.

Oh and the guys were doing it to pay their tuition. Bad situation all around.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
And Democrats will make sure that gun-free zones continue to be slaughtering grounds.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom