• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Latest Movie Fights episode uploaded 23 hours ago also has the boyfriend (don't remember if they were married) of one of the people that came forward with the harassment as a competitor.

The boyfriend of one? Goddamn.

Man Andy Signore is a fucking idiot. A Scumbag too but a complete fucking idiot.

And by saying that I want to wait for more information, I wasn't not taking the accusation seriously, I wasn't assuming he was innocent.
I honestly think that this is mostly a difference in how we see "believing".
I don't think anyone implied she was making it up, were they?

But I do think I could have come off as less skeptical. I want to apologize for that.

I'm just saying, there's a reason in took three tries for this to stick. I'm a male, also black so yes I do have fears of being falsely accused, but that clearly wasn't the case today.

Also, much more people get away with this kind of abuse than are falsely accused. Of course that doesn't make it right. And I'd prefer to trade neither for the other.

I mean, we had this thread in the gaming section for Nick Robinson and that thread took a much different tone than this.

I'm imagining the scenario where the first victim was the only victim. And it would've sucked to see it get brushed off again without the mountain of evidence that came after.

I don't believe anything I said before more victims came forward was jumping the gun or prematurely "burning the witch". Not that my actions would effect this situation in the least bit.

Is he married/with someone by any chance, ooh boy

Married with a kid I believe.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yeah its weird especially since they had Joanna Robinson on the next episode and spent a good chunk of time condemning Harry Knowles. Jeff's probably gonna cry.

So you think Signore was sweatin during that conversation or is the truth of these people that they really don't even realize how scummy they actually are?

Like... especially with a wife and kid and his attitude in those weak af DMs and texts he sent you can tell he's feeling these women out for who will let him get away with what. Full on creep bullshit.

Budi

The boyfriend of one? Goddamn.

Man Andy Signore is a fucking idiot. A Scumbag too but a complete fucking idiot.
Yeah the same couple that already contacted HR earlier and nothing happened. The boyfriend also actually works for the show and HR threatened to fire if they would go puplic with this. Which they were still going to do.

Darksol

I don’t know what this is or who this is, or what he’s famous for, but the screen caps alone are pretty damning, I’d say.

BTA

The person isn't here, but people who have experienced something similar might be.

GAF is a huge forum. There are a lot of members and probably even more lurkers. On the subject of sexual harassment, if it's an issue you care deeply about, it might be worth being mindful about expressing your skepticism about an accusation. Even though there's no ill intent, victims of sexual harassment might not see it that way when they read it.

I don't mean you specifically or anyone else here.

Exactly this.

None of this discussion actually happens in a vacuum, isolated on GAF. Sometimes that's because (particularly when it's gaming related, like with Nick Robinson, but I've seen it for OT threads as well) someone involved sees the GAF thread or is a member to begin with. Sometimes it's because of things like this, where what's being said has general implications. When I say it's best to always believe victim/survivors, it's not because of some selfish belief that my opinion is the correct one. It's because, as someone who was involved with education/peer-education of these topics for most of my time in college, that's what I've been taught is the best way to support people, particularly when you don't know who around you might also be affected by this.

Hjod

Banned
So if I understand this correctly, Andy Signore not only harassed, but he is accused of outright sexually assaulting a woman with a sex toy.
Is there any chance of having him convicted if he doesn't outright admit to it?

The courtroom was mentioned quite a bit, but never literally.
If this does go to court, does anyone know if things might actually happen?

He is accused of sexually assaulting a woman with a sex toy, and he is accused on twitter, if this had taken place in Sweden he would been arrested for attempted rape.

But I guess he'll get away with the usual "I have a problem", it's sickening.

Hopefully Screen Junkies and Deify Media fires him and he seeks help, I'd rather he'd see some time at court, mandating him to seek help.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So he fucked up his professional life which now will fall onto the personal life portion

Kid too?

Ouch!

Some people really don't see the full consequences of their actions until "shit gets real", even if you think having some "power" gives you a blanket to cover yourself with

ExVicis

Yeah the same couple that already contacted HR earlier and nothing happened. The boyfriend also actually works for the show and HR threatened to fire if they would go puplic with this. Which they were going to do.
Like I said, goddamn. Does Andy really have that most influence that he legitimately thought none of this would ever come back on him? I mean I know HR was going to fire him but it really was only a matter of time if these people see him all the time. How fucking full of yourself do you have to be?

Some people really don't see the full consequences of their actions until "shit gets real", even if you think having some "power" gives you a blanket to cover yourself with

This really is what I mean. Did he really think this shit was okay? Just a "whiff" of power and he thinks he can do this kind of shit?

PK Gaming

Married with a kid I believe.

Seriously?

I could somewhat understand if he was a single, lonely awkward 30-something year old who was just overwhelmingly desperate for sex and attention from women, but he's married with a kid and he's still pulling this? That's pretty messed up.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Seriously?

I could somewhat understand if he was a single, lonely awkward 30-something year old who was just overwhelmingly desperate for sex and attention from women, but he's married with a kid and he's still pulling this? That's pretty messed up.

Yuuuuup

I'm expecting the "im sorry I got caught" video/statement/tweet by the end of the day

Seesaw15

So you think Signore was sweatin during that conversation or is the truth of these people that they really don't even realize how scummy they actually are?

Like... especially with a wife and kid and his attitude in those weak af DMs and texts he sent you can tell he's feeling these women out for who will let him get away with what. Full on creep bullshit.

I doubt it. Since he was able to hush up the HR complaints and Emma Bowers got no traction before he probably thought he was good.

And he 100% realizes he's a creep that's why he always couches his sexual advances as 'LOL just kidding' statements.

Budi

Like I said, goddamn. Does Andy really have that most influence that he legitimately thought none of this would ever come back on him? I mean I know HR was going to fire him but it really was only a matter of time if these people see him all the time. How fucking full of yourself do you have to be?

This really is what I mean. Did he really think this shit was okay? Just a "whiff" of power and he thinks he can do this kind of shit?
It's not just men at power harassing women though, unfortunately it's wider problem than that. But ofcourse they are the ones who can exploit their status (or any celeb) and it can give them some sense of security.

PK Gaming

Can't believe it was kept under wraps for this long. Internet culture is beyond fucked up

(it's getting better...inch by inch)

We need to clean house. Also, when people post sexually weird/inappropriate shit (like Nick Robinson, Harry Knowles, and Andy have) we she should demand explanations.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I doubt it. Since he was able to hush up the HR complaints and Emma Bowers got no traction before he probably thought he was good.

And he 100% realizes he's a creep that's why he always couches his sexual advances as 'LOL just kidding' statements.

Yeah I'm expecting that crocodile tears statement with a discussion about how he's going to get help or something.

And those tears will ring even more hollow when everyone steps back and realizes what you've been looking at for your last post or two where the boyfriend of the girl that he was sexually harassing, who they threatened to fucking fire if they went forward with complaints, sits across from him on his little youtube show and shoots the shit about movies?

Like.. that's full on "i'm untouchable" POTUS level protection and clout he's assuming. And to speak to the boyfriends situation for a minute - fucking christ - how hard would it be to not just go off the rails halfway through that show?

"So what do we all think about Max Landis' views on wonder women??"
"I dunno Andy. Maybe if Chris Pine had slapped her ass with a double sided dildo and then threatened to tell Ares where her mom was hiding if she said anything you might have your own fucking opinion, right?"

gets ME heated just thinking about. What a fuck.

I wish there was more accountability when it comes to HR departments. I assume there's no state/federal guidelines when there's multiple accusations? If not, there should be.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just saw this and am disgusted. This shit needs to be stamped out with ferocity and consequence for harassers.

This shit is rampant, and victims need to be heard and supported.

Takuan

We'll see how this develops. I wouldn't be surprised if true; it happens. A lot.
Doja is like Chandler in that one episode of Friends where they're arguing outside the car and he starts doing a weird dance to distract them.

I lol'd - one of my favorite scenes in the show.

Not

Banned
And you don't even have to hit the gym just be a decent person. Dudes been married for 10 years so he clearly didn't give a fuck.

Yeah. Just probably fantasized about it and then started to believe he could do it due to his position.

The latest ScreenJunkies youtube video uploaded less than 24 hours ago and features Andy. The youtube comments are decidedly against him, which actually pleasantly surprised me. Seems like its usually the other way around with these sort of accusations, at least among anonymous online commentors

I feel sorry for his wife not only is her husband cheating/ trying to cheat.. he is going about it like a socially awkward 13 yo. I wonder if she will stick by him or get outta there asap.

Seesaw15

The latest ScreenJunkies youtube video uploaded less than 24 hours ago and features Andy. The youtube comments are decidedly against him, which actually pleasantly surprised me. Seems like its usually the other way around with these sort of accusations, at least among anonymous online commentors
Even before all this came to light for the few things I watched on screen junkies Andy was always the worst. He was always so obnoxious, loud and ill informed. So it could be less that the YouTube comment section grew a conscious and more that the fan base didn't like him that much. I also could be under estimating the screen junkies fan base.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I have supported honest trailers from the start. I feel so connected to it as I was a “Screen Junkies Plus co-founder” and have the shirt to prove it. Honestly I feel like I was a part of this man becoming famous with being such an early finder (like probably one of the first couple thousand on the first trailer) and spreading the word to so many people when I was in college. It feels sick at first, then at least I saw today it seems contained to him. After seeing so many of their behind the scenes stuff I can see it would be easy for him to do this separate from Dan and Spencer (the editor and writer of the trailers respectively). Also JTE (their engineer of their shows) issued a statement saying they were preparing an article about it soon.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JTEmoviethinks/status/916355644931768320/photo/1

Even before all this came to light for the few things I watched on screen junkies Andy was always the worst. He was always so obnoxious, loud and ill informed. So it could be less that the YouTube comment section grew a conscious and more that the fan base didn't like him that much. I also could be under estimating the screen junkies fan base.

Could be. I guess if you have a guy that people already want to dislike, this incident can solidify their suspicions that he was a bad dude and they'll be more quickly prone to turn against him. I've been subscribed to screenjunkies for a long time but only to watch honest trailers so I had never heard of Andy until today.

hollomat

Banned
I wish there was more accountability when it comes to HR departments. I assume there's no state/federal guidelines when there's multiple accusations? If not, there should be.

I’m not sure if screen junkies even has an HR department or if any of these women filed a complaint with the HR department (assuming it exists).

Most small businesses don’t have the resources to have an HR department. HR departments are 100% accountable for this stuff though and if you file a sexual harassment/assault complaint with them and they do nothing, you probably have reasonable grounds for a lawsuit.

AoM

Tbh, I don't know how JTE was able to be around him knowing what he knew.

I’m not sure if screen junkies even has an HR department or if any of these women filed a complaint with the HR department (assuming it exists).

Most small businesses don’t have the resources to have an HR department. HR departments are 100% accountable for this stuff though and if you file a sexual harassment/assault complaint with them and they do nothing, you probably have reasonable grounds for a lawsuit.

I'm sure ScreenJunkies is under some MSM that has their own HR department. I'm pretty sure RoosterTeeth does because I went to a career fair earlier this year and RoosterTeeth had a booth but the reps there were from their MSM

Part of one of their stories is that they did in fact file a complaint with HR

Budi

From the little I've read the comments sometimes in their earlier videos, Signore hasn't been that well liked. But neither have been many women competititors or anyone daring to be "political" when criticising movies.
I'm not sure if screen junkies even has an HR department or if any of these women filed a complaint with the HR department (assuming it exists).

Most small businesses don't have the resources to have an HR department. HR departments are 100% accountable for this stuff though and if you file a sexual harassment/assault complaint with them and they do nothing, you probably have reasonable grounds for a lawsuit.
They are owned and operated by Defy Media so not exactly a small business.
Pretty misogynistic to say something like this. Sounds like date rape culture mindset actually. Just cuz you're a normal guy with a decent body doesn't mean women are going to want to be with you.
Thanks for commenting on that, I also thought it sounded very wrong.

glow

Banned
Hit the gym, act normal and women will throw themselves at you.

Pretty misogynistic to say something like this. Sounds like date rape culture mindset actually. Just cuz you're a normal guy with a decent body doesn't mean women are going to want to be with you.

Goodstyle

Much like the other poster, you're essentially claiming that all responses posted in this thread can be legitimately reduced to a binary state: either siding with Formerly Employed At Sceenjunkies Creeper, or siding with the accused, and that any posts failing to unequivocally condemn the former and unequivocally believe and support the latter -- at any stage of the story -- fall under siding with Formerly Employed At Screenjunkies Creeper, undermine the voices of victims, harm society, and are morally reprehensible.

Based on this argument there should just be one official righteous response auto-posted by a bot and then the thread should be locked. Why have a discussion thread? Why have a message board?

No.
I've long felt this way about a lot of discussions on GAF, where things would just devolve into mobs saying "if you don't feel this way on X discussion, you are scum". Sometimes it's justified (like with condemning Nazis), but other times in cases like this where some feel you should wait and see, certain GAF members would arrive and dogpile on you.

I believed the initial accusation, but I wouldn't pass judgment on someone and call them trash if they felt like they needed a bit more evidence. Conversely, I also understand the argument saying that mentality can be specifically hurtful to people who have faced sexual harassment.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that civil discussion is always better than aggressive character judgements and intensely personal attacks.

Fliesen

The difference, this time around, nobody other than the absolute WORST redpillers, would be able to dismiss some of these accusations as creepy, but innocent acts of flirting.
Sliding into DMs = "flirting"
Catcalling = "compliments"
sexual comments = "lewd, maybe creepy, but no harassment"

i don't think there's any euphemism / downplaying of trying to use a sex toy on a woman and threatening to have her boyfriend fired.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are all the film industry related cases of harassment that are coming to light recently just a coincidence? Or is there a pattern going on here?

besada

Banned
Are all the film industry related cases of harassment that are coming to light recently just a coincidence? Or is there a pattern going on here?

A little from column A and a little from column B probably. The revelations by women have likely given other women in the same community the courage to speak up. On the other side, knowing that multiple guys in the community were doing it suggests that the community itself has some problems, and that it probably hasn't been a great place for women. When you have multiple major figures creeping, they certainly aren't going to call each other out.

Fliesen

the person who came out first against Signore had already made these kinds of public accusations twice.

"In light of recent events, just a nice reminder that the creator of @screenjunkies said he wanted to jack off to me"

is how this all started. So the two recent prominent cases kind of made her feel like speaking up one more time.

Seesaw15

I mean people in the film industry being creeps is one of the worst kept secrets. Hence why the "casting couch" is still a joke used to this day. I guess the pattern is women seeing other women step up and be successful.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

In all honesty stuff like this should be out spoken more, would go a step to preventing it. Then again a lot of the guys that do stuff like this don't really give a shit either way sadly.

Neece

More emails coming out. From another fan/cosplayer.

76WFwZJ.png

(Sorry if they are out of order)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom