• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshot Saturday: NeoGAF Edition - A showcase of games by the community

JMRante

Neo Member
Hey, welcome! I'd been following your game on TIG. In fact I think I was the first to reply there. Game has come a long way since those first images

Wow, totally cool! It's been pretty quiet during development since I'm a one man show. It's hard to find time and energy to market properly, though I think the game I am creating is neat and I want as many people who will potentially enjoy it to be given the opportunity to try it. I've really only talked about the game with my musician and a some friends in the past few months. Glad to see that I've garnered your interest! It gives me more hope to press onward!

Pehesse

SkeletalPerfumedHornshark.gif

SentimentalEnergeticAmericanriverotter.gif

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally set up the unmask event that happens if you fail an official match. You're given one last chance (as it says) to escape -read: button mash- your way out of your predicament. If you succeed, you're home free, with nothing but a hit to your reputation gauge! You'll still need to fight that opponent again later down the line, but hopefully you'll have learned new tricks by then. If not, well... you can always revert to an earlier save :-D

Screenshot...Sunday? OK, I'm a little late, didn't get the art for this screenshot until late last night. But here's a new room for my game EMILY:

xbdtv4N.png

Dascu

WhisperedRemarkableAtlanticbluetang.gif

Start screen. I just noticed that, in a way, you can see a mish-mash of the old German/Prussian flag and the Belgian flag in it. And given the content of the game, that's rather appropriate.

Here's to random coincidence!

Pehesse

For (moving) Screenshot Saturday, here the start of the new character!

BriskReliableAvians.gif

It's still very early, she doesn't even have an idle animation (you can see it cycling to a test frame when she rests between moves) but there's still some new and interesting stuff in there, such as her ability to multi-hit, and your ability to block all or only some of these hits. Since Little Sun didn't do that at all, the script for damage checking wasn't as complete, so that's some added/extended functionality right there!

kingPenguin

Neo Member
SwLyMWk.png

(for now atleast) I'm gonna call this game "Rain Reverse". Doesn't make to much sense, but it sounds pretty nice :)

It's a 4 player splitscreen twinstick shooter where each player can flip their own gravity around, so you can walk (and jump) on walls and ceilings.

SwLyMWk.png

(for now atleast) I'm gonna call this game "Rain Reverse". Doesn't make to much sense, but it sounds pretty nice :)

It's a 4 player splitscreen twinstick shooter where each player can flip their own gravity around, so you can walk (and jump) on walls and ceilings.
I like the look and sound of the concept, could make for some pretty hectic action

How about something like "Mobius" or "Invert"? I'd suggest Relativity (name of the Escher painting with people walking on walls and ceiling), but that name's already being used.

Dascu

http://i.imgur.com/SwLyMWk.png[IMG]

It's a 4 player splitscreen twinstick shooter where each player can flip their own gravity around, so you can walk (and jump) on walls and ceilings.[/QUOTE]

Tegenpool

JMRante

Neo Member
I always find the whole "indie games suck cause they all use pixel art" thing amusing. It can be true, since pixel art is efficient to create, but I believe some of the fantastic screens on this page do a good job of dispelling this myth (personally, I love pixel art and hope that there will be games using it from now until eternity).

Speaking of indie games that don't use pixel art (and making a game without pixel art was a conscious challenge I gave myself here), time for a screenshot of Vacuous. This one is a snippet of the opening cutscene for world 1, where I hope to do some fun world building for the player:

Yjp28FR.png

Jobbs

Banned
Your game is looking incredible, and I can't wait to play it.

Just had to say that.

Thank you for your kind comment -- I didn't reply last week because I didn't want to bump the thread after Saturday just to say thanks. :)

Onto screenshot saturday.

(Game: Ghost Song)

I have been revamping some old rooms, and in this case I opted to put in a "soft" requirement for the dash move. As always, click for the higher res webm.

(click for full version)

I say "soft" requirement because it's possible to derp your way through these by taking damage and using invuln frames. The damage from spikes is so high, though, that you'd need an unlikely amount of health for this point in the game. The design goal is that anyone weird enough to - for some reason -- want to try and do the next area without the dash can knock themselves out, but most people probably won't find themselves there by accident.

Next is the "straight to GIF trailer" I concocted this week for my upcoming beta release, which is just around the corner and already hooked up to Steam.

The preview embed is short, but click for the full 30 second trailer. :) Enjoy.

(click for full version)

kingPenguin

Neo Member
One normal screenshot of Rain Reverse (in a slightly altered style than last weeks):

JH7UhsW.png

And a gif of the gravity switching (you can switch it at any time you like, in 4 directions. Only effects yourself):

TthEwVY.gif

Pehesse

SlimyOffensiveChafer.gif

Testing the latest moves/animations! Compared to previous .gifs, this one is not AI controlled, I'm triggering the moves one by one to test them out as I'm getting tired of waiting for her to do her thing to see if it works :-D

The new moves are the jump, jump kick and land (pretty basic), a glide allowing to pass through the opponent and control falling speed, and a ducking stance from which she can kick, or charge to unleash a super lunge move that hits several times. Still need to complete some of these animations, and then move to the next set.

Blizzard

Banned
Testing the latest moves/animations! Compared to previous .gifs, this one is not AI controlled, I'm triggering the moves one by one to test them out as I'm getting tired of waiting for her to do her thing to see if it works :-D

The new moves are the jump, jump kick and land (pretty basic), a glide allowing to pass through the opponent and control falling speed, and a ducking stance from which she can kick, or charge to unleash a super lunge move that hits several times. Still need to complete some of these animations, and then move to the next set.

Even as simple as they are, I'm really digging the background fan animations on the bleachers. It reminds me a lot of the old 2D fighters (Street Fighter / King of Fighters?) with people in the background doing simple animations.

Pehesse

Even as simple as they are, I'm really digging the background fan animations on the bleachers. It reminds me a lot of the old 2D fighters (Street Fighter / King of Fighters?) with people in the background doing simple animations.

Thanks :-D You're right, that was the main inspiration :-D Those simple 2-3 frame cycles with overly exaggerated movements really add a lot while still being relatively simple to do, whereas more complex stuff would be time consuming, memory consuming, and would even confuse the action because of the similar animation fluidities on different planes... so it's a win-win all around :-D

_machine

ancestoryminion720h8sv2.png

Been busy with working on a trailer, but a rough cut has been finally sent to the musicians so we're celebrating #screenshotsaturday with a little hello from one of the minions.

Pehesse

Instead of posting a huge gif, I'll post a screen linking to a video this time to showcase the current progress! What's newly in: the duck kick, lunge, idle and match lose animations. What's still missing: the match intro, match win, and all grapple related animations. We're getting there, and then I'll get to fixing everything that broke during implementation (there's lots!)

kingPenguin

Neo Member
Been working on a little side project for a bit. A simple little soccer game with all the rules striped away. Just get the ball in the other teams goal!

uzdoej2.gif

ntfGnX7.gif

friken

StarDiver had a huge week of progress! Ship damage systems, beam weapons, lightning, and engine propulsion fx.

Salrith Ship Splitter!
RingedRadiantBlackcrappie.gif

Forked Lighting Weapon splits a Krex, Krex uses single remaining weapon:
UnacceptableYawningBordercollie.gif

Damage without system failure / breakaway:
WeightyNimbleAmurratsnake.gif

Jobbs

Banned
StarDiver had a huge week of progress! Ship damage systems, beam weapons, lightning, and engine propulsion fx.

Salrith Ship Splitter!

Forked Lighting Weapon splits a Krex, Krex uses single remaining weapon:
UnacceptableYawningBordercollie.gif

Damage without system failure / breakaway:
WeightyNimbleAmurratsnake.gif

this is the greatest thing... melee.exe anyone?

JMRante

Neo Member
Been working on a little side project for a bit. A simple little soccer game with all the rules striped away. Just get the ball in the other teams goal!

As someone who loves to play the actual sport of soccer, that looks totally awesome! Great color and lively animation. Minimalism always speaks to me.

Another look at Vacuous World 4! This time there are spinning stars, a common fixture in outer space.

f3qoM9j.png

Pehesse

Salrith Ship Splitter!

I absolutely love that drill attack, but I feel it'd have even more punch with a freeze frame effect/vibrating effect/sort other form of resistance before breaking the other ship, just to show friction and the strength of the attack. It works already, mind you :-D

kingPenguin

Neo Member
As someone who loves to play the actual sport of soccer, that looks totally awesome! Great color and lively animation. Minimalism always speaks to me.

Every note. Hitting every goddamn note. This looks like good clean fun.

This looks awesome. A mix between Pong and Soccer.

Thanks, thanks thanks! :)

I absolutely love that drill attack, but I feel it'd have even more punch with a freeze frame effect/vibrating effect/sort other form of resistance before breaking the other ship, just to show friction and the strength of the attack. It works already, mind you :-D

Maybe some screenshake? I continue to be amazed that it's "just" sprites.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe some screenshake? I continue to be amazed that it's "just" sprites.
I feel like screenshake can hurt clarity, but I do like the idea of a slowdown / freeze / pause before breaking through.

Also, for any controller support, that would be a perfect time for rumble. Playing Bayonetta 1 recently has made me appreciate good timed use of rumble.

Small Gaming

Neo Member
Working on a mission system for Wormhunter. Here is a screenshot of a villager telling the player about the mission. In the balloon is the icon for telling the player where to go. There are three types of icons: Which monster, directions and mood of the villager.

B1V5WbpCQAEpclf.png

Have a great weekend.

Pehesse

tumblr_ned5rc3u421s5t3fko1_1280.png

Here's a screencap of the grappling idle/struggle stance. Five more animations, and Carrion Wind will be fully animated. Getting a bit exhausted on 2D animation again so the break will be welcome - fixing bugs will feel like a reward after all this :-D

friken

Totally agree that would really add some great feedback to the feel of it.

This week's big things:

Orbital Battles:
GrizzledLameBlackrussianterrier.gif

CooperativeBleakHeifer.gif

TechDemo of Procedural Planets:
http://gfycat.com/UnrealisticThatBrocketdeer

SlowMotion and music pitch shift ofr Direct Hits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9-cv1nPpc&vq=hd720

MicroSun Gravity / Heat Damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_qFY_0zFNI&vq=hd720

Top Bottom