• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Goldrusher

SpacePirate Ridley said:
28v86bm.jpg

Wow. And after watching this video, I think the game would be awesome as an HD release on PSN and Marketplace.

Blizzard

Banned
Goldrusher said:
After watching this video, I think the game would be awesome as an HD release on PSN and Marketplace.
I've got to stop posting so much in this thread. BUT. I agree in the sense that the graphics actually look quite good to me for a DS game, especially considering the number of sprites they had to create. And I don't even see any lag when they type in one of TENS OF THOUSANDS OF OBJECTS and it instantly spawns. If they just did a simple port to run at an upscaled resolution in a Steam game, I would rebuy the heck out of it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cooljeanius said:
So I've been thinking about this game philosophically, and it strikes me as very essentialist. It supposes that every object imaginable comes from some sort of essence that can be defined simply by writing it. For example, if you write "cow", you get the essence of a cow, not any specific cow with its own unique history. This makes me wonder if an existentialist version of this game could possibly be created, and if so, what would it look like?
It would be pretty much the same, but you couldn't spawn God.

I don't get it on the PS3, but it would be great on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Blizzard said:
I've got to stop posting so much in this thread. BUT. I agree in the sense that the graphics actually look quite good to me for a DS game, especially considering the number of sprites they had to create. And I don't even see any lag when they type in one of TENS OF THOUSANDS OF OBJECTS and it instantly spawns. If they just did a simple port to run at an upscaled resolution in a Steam game, I would rebuy the heck out of it.

oh yeah, a Steam version would be great. The popcap games all run at a very low resolution already, this can do the same.

Firestorm

Blizzard said:
The objects are actually 3D polygons but displayed on a 2D plane from what I understand.

I plan on using ninjas for every level of the game.

Much like real life, the judicious application of ninjas can be used to solve any problem worth solving.

Disguises

Just thought i'd post and say i'm 100% buying this game. Read post 217 a while ago and it basically totally sold it to me! haha. Games looking very good and can't wait to get a hold of it myself! Gonna try and find myself a copy of drawn to life soon, always wanted to try it. Keep up the great work 5th cell.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Firestorm said:
The objects are actually 3D polygons but displayed on a 2D plane from what I understand.
Yes. Drawn to Life also used them (so the game could animate automatically what you drew).
It's a good design choice for three main reasons:
1- they can create and animate objects far more quickly and reuse assets here and there
2- the DS can draw a decent amount of polygons at the same time
3- collisions and physics are easier to manage when every appendage is a different polygon

Congratulations Jackson/5th Cell for all the accolades, they are well deserved.

So is anyone going to have a sidekick/mascot that they are going to summon on every level? Possibly to try to work into every solution or just have along for the ride?

jrricky

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Wow. And after watching this video, I think the game would be awesome as an HD release on PSN and Marketplace.
Leave it on the DS. That's where its market is. Plus it would become cumbersome when typing with controls unless its on the Wii.
abstract alien said:
What exactly is the control scheme for this game? Ive never even thought about it.
Touch the character, and touch where you want him to go, pick up, use etc.

So then...

Gametrailers

Best Nintendo DS Game

Gamespy

Overall Game of Show

DS Game of Show

Puzzle Game of Show

Gamespot

Overall Game of Show

Best Puzzle Game

Best NDS Game

IGN

Overall Game of Show

Best Puzzle Game

Special Achievement for Innovation

Best Handheld

1Up

Best of E3 Most Innovative

Kotaku

Best Portable Game

Best New Gameplay Mechanic

XPlay

Best Original Game

Best Handheld Game

Let's see what the intelligent minds on GameSpot and IGN have to allow.

PREPARE FOR LAUGHS AND ANGER

Maybe you could have a seperate category for "Game of the Show for People Over the Age of Five".
wtf? Game of the show to Scribblenauts!?
Da HELL? Scirblejvhfhcfjf, whatever its call, won GOS?
*starts searching for alternative gaming site*
.....wow, that game sucks
WTF I mean c'mon I mean yeah really good thing a good idea BUT I MEAN CMON GOD OF WAR 3? AC2? UNCHARTED 2 ? What in gods hell has happened in this god damn world...
wtf is with scribblenauts that game looks DUMB i think AC2 Uncharted 2 or GOWIII should have won
WTH, game of the show is scribblenauts ?? Mankind got crazy or what!!! SWTOR or GOW3 should have won that.
This dont deserve to be the "game of the show" :(
Gamespot Aprils fools day was way back!
Can't believe you guys gave the Game of the Show to....Scribblenauts.

Ok, we get it. It's original. But its still just freaking Scribblenauts.

are you kidding me? scribblenauts wins best overall? not uncharted 2? not god of war 3? not mass effect 2?

i've lost all faith in ign.
I almost agree with this whole list. I don't believe ME2 is going to be a better actions game than uncharted 2 or even God of War 3. I think scribblenauts was great pick for handheld but not for game of show. That should have been ME2, Uncharted 2, God of war 3, or MW2. No way if you put a kiosk of any of those games next to a kiosk of scribblenauts that people will flock to scribblenauts. NO WAY
Why this game? I know you want to support an small game, but come on out of Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. You chose this game game a Nintendo DS game!!!!!!
A DS game won best @ E3? If this wasn't so stupid it'd be a pretty funny joke.
scribblenauts best overall?!?!

ign, what is wrong with you?!?!
Best Handheld: Scribblenauts vs GT PSP vs MGS PSP... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!
Overall Game of the Show: How can you give this to Scribblenauts? Have I not mentioned enough games to completely discredit your article?

Everyone I hope you read MY article and come to the conclusion that IGN are just a bunch of sellouts and don't deserve the audience they have. If any of you think I'm mistaken please reply my message and I will gladly take to consideration what ever you tell me for future reference.
Overall Game of Show: Scribblenauts
hahaha theres a laugh
oh IGN you are the living end
Scribblenauts overall best of show?!?!?!?i took IGN as a joke before but now,hell i won't even visit this site anymore after this post
Okay, what the hell? Scribblenauts looks awesome, but it was NOT the best of the show. Please try again.
Scribblenauts looks skeptical. You would think they can put a little more effort in the graphics I mean seriously game looks like it was programmed by lazy people. Yes we know gameplay Is more important I agree but from what I seen you just type in something and it shows up on your screen I can do the same thing on google and it will show up on my screen. Hopefully there is some nice gameplay to the game as well.

AND COMMENTS OF THE SHOW AWARDS GO TO:

GODZ_PIZZAMAN, of IGN!

WHAT THE FUCK????

how can GOW3,Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2 not win game of show!!!! Like those are epic games, HOW THE HELL do they loose to some p*ssy DS which nobody will buy???

WOW IGN ur failing hard these days
how im i retarded?? Dev's like Sana Monica and Naught Dog put there heart and soul making incredible experiences and they loose to a game that was made with a $5 bill. Like honestly how is scribbleshit gunna be fun? You'll be bored with it in over an hour and theres not even online so like???? Whatever its a crappy game and im sure as hell it wont win game of the year even though it won best game at E3 (says IGN)
i see every1 that comments here have p*ssies, i know that no guy would say that scribbleshit is better than GOW3, Halo or Call of Duty

PUSSIES
scribbleshit = fail.
can we please stop the fanboyism (ps3 owns) and gte back to the main story.....WHY THE FUCK DID THIS CRAPPY ASS $5 GAME TO MAKE WIN!!!Its really unheard of considering the number of amazingggg games shown on the floor at E3. WOW IGN pleaseee

batbeg

EmCeeGramr said:

GODZ_PIZZAMAN, of IGN!

Sometimes I'm extraordinarily grateful for having found GAF.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WHY THE FUCK DID THIS CRAPPY ASS $5 GAME TO MAKE WIN!!!

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

It might be kinda funny, but every time you post that stuff in this thread my brain dies a little more. ;_;

Tobor

EmCeeGramr said:

It's a double awesome victory! The best game won, and the hornet's nest of mouthbreathing idiots has been whipped into a frenzy. :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wow, I feel dumber after reading those. Thank you, kind commenters, for now I have witnessed what pure idiocy is.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Scribblenauts looks skeptical. You would think they can put a little more effort in the graphics I mean seriously game looks like it was programmed by lazy people. Yes we know gameplay Is more important I agree but from what I seen you just type in something and it shows up on your screen I can do the same thing on google and it will show up on my screen. Hopefully there is some nice gameplay to the game as well.

:lol :lol :lol

nny

SovanJedi said:
:lol :lol :lol

that can't be serious...can it?? :| If it is, I'm surprise that person is able to type by himself.

Also, Scribblenauts is skeptical of what? Humanity?

edit:

can we please stop the fanboyism (ps3 owns)

ahahah. Precious.

RagnarokX

EmCeeGramr said:

GODZ_PIZZAMAN, of IGN!
Oh god... we need someone good at dramatic readings here, stat!

"...Scribbleshit..."

That is a GOOD one, man...

It pleases the innermost corners of my heart that some people are destined to die in a fire.

Those websites make our Prototype thread look like high fuckin' tea.

I want to kick all of them in the nuts!

Ive starting to lose faith in humanity, I really hope those bastards dont bring to the world new kids. We dont need more of them.

lScribblenauts looks skeptical. You would think they can put a little more effort in the graphics I mean seriously game looks like it was programmed by lazy people. Yes we know gameplay Is more important I agree but from what I seen you just type in something and it shows up on your screen I can do the same thing on google and it will show up on my screen. Hopefully there is some nice gameplay to the game as well.

I...

what?

Piggus

abstract alien said:
Leave it on ds.

So less people can play it? :/

Don't get me wrong, I have a DS and will be picking this up because it looks incredible. But that's just all the more reason that more people should be able to experience it. A game like this is a big step forward in my opinion and should get the attention that it rightfully deserves. I'm really glad the gaming press is picking up on it and letting people know how awesome it is.

Wired

Fuuuuuucking hell, if I was a mod on any board where those comments were posted it would result in a lifetime ban, I'm serious.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
Ah... I'm really looking forward to Heavy Rain. :\
I'm also looking forward to the game, honestly. It looks interesting and I liked the beginning of Indigo Prophecy. What I cannot stand are the swarms of people championing it as a milestone in videogame history.

pulga

Banned
Sometimes, GAF can be a pain in the ass. But then I read posts like those and thank the heavens GAF exists. God, the level of idiocy on other boards is astounding.

AniHawk

Jocchan said:
I'm also looking forward to the game, honestly. What I cannot stand are the swarms of people championing it as a milestone in videogame history.

Swarms of people? I don't think they'll find much company when the game finally releases. Should be a rather spectacular sales bomb.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
Swarms of people? I don't think they'll find much company when the game finally releases. Should be a rather spectacular sales bomb.
Yes, this is probably the case.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Blizzard said:
It might be kinda funny, but every time you post that stuff in this thread my brain dies a little more. ;_;
Yeah it's an experience akin to reading youtube comments.

It makes your brain melt and start dripping out of your ears.

Top Bottom