• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

b.e.r.g

Yes, it is getting alot of hype, but its at least the healthy kind. It's the game speaking for itself, its people who tried the game and then share the awesome :)

... and it's Jackson listening and answering to the fans questions and wishes. A much better way to sell your game than, uhm I don't know, jumping on the stage with a chainsaw gun or, let's say, renting someone named Ravi Drums to pretend he's having a good time.

tabsina

Maximilian E. said:
anyways, is the database upgradable? It would be nice if the devs could keep adding stuff by updates, more words and such and perhaps even more puzzles...

As far as we know, the database won't be upgradeable, but I'm quite sure the entire premise of the game is based on the idea that the database is already complete in its fulfillment of the rules (which is in the OP)

Regarding the second part, I think user made/edited levels can be shared amongst friends, I don't think there will be much room left on the DS Cartridge for a significant DLC of more puzzles

Shurs

Wow! This is a unique and charming game. I've never owned a handheld before but, between this game and Rhythm Heaven, I'm thinking of picking up a DSi when this game is released.

Willeth said:
I also didn't say 'wow'.

I think I gasped a little and laughed for a while, but I didn't say 'wow'.

Yep, wow is exclusively for the number of enemies the game puts on screen, while the shaders remain consistent with the whole scenery and also while maintaining the 60fps minimum.....because remember if it doesnt have 60fps than its not a game......which is what clearly happens with this thing we have here.......

Broseybrose

Shurs said:
Wow! This is a unique and charming game. I've never owned a handheld before but, between this game and Rhythm Heaven, I'm thinking of picking up a DSi when this game is released.
you'd be nuts not to! besides this game there is an absurd library of amazing games. its truly a gamer's system. just a few months ago i was strictly a pc gamer but my eyes have been opened.

and thanks for the present, 5th Cell. the fact that you guys would go out of your way to make that for us is (i believe) unprecedented and just awesome beyond words.

Vitet

Eltacoman said:
Eh, no. But I have a feeling I'm not wanted here so...
gandalf-sign.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
b.e.r.g said:
Yes, it is getting alot of hype, but its at least the healthy kind. It's the game speaking for itself, its people who tried the game and then share the awesome :)

... and it's Jackson listening and answering to the fans questions and wishes. A much better way to sell your game than, uhm I don't know, jumping on the stage with a chainsaw gun or, let's say, renting someone named Ravi Drums to pretend he's having a good time.
Or to go on the message board telling them that they are wrong and have contributed nothing to society.

Nocebo

Maximilian E. said:
I have not read through teh whole thread and i have not read so much about this game but, so far, what I have seen sounds nice (i did read post 217 though..) :D

anyways, is the database upgradable? It would be nice if the devs could keep adding stuff by updates, more words and such and perhaps even more puzzles...
Why would you even need more words? You're probably never going to see everything as it is.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't believe no one posted the release date yet! Amazon just emailed me with a new estimated arrival date of September 28 (sucks) but an official release date of September 15! WILL PICK UP IN STORE DAY ONE. Will also probably let my Amazon copy come anyway and give it to someone as a gift.

xfactor

Banned
Blizzard said:
I can't believe no one posted the release date yet! Amazon just emailed me with a new estimated arrival date of September 28 (sucks) but an official release date of September 15! WILL PICK UP IN STORE DAY ONE. Will also probably let my Amazon copy come anyway and give it to someone as a gift.

Those dates are probably estimation? I mean if there's a release date they will have either told us at E3 last week, or Jackson will have told us so in this thread already.

Blizzard

Banned
xfactor said:
Those dates are probably estimation? I mean if there's a release date they will have either told us at E3 last week, or Jackson will have told us so in this thread already.
Maybe so. Someone said that if there's ever a first-of-month release date, then it's an estimation. We've been seeing October 1 and November 1 dates on Amazon and other sites. (I thought one or two games might HAVE been released on the first of a month, but maybe not). But:

Amazon said:
"We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on June 07 2009 (Order# whatever). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

"Scribblenauts" [Video Game]
Estimated arrival date: September 28 2009 - October 02 2009
And Amazon just changed the release date to a specific day in the middle of September on their site. Jackson, please shoot me down if this is wrong. ;_;

batbeg

Blizzard said:
Maybe so. Someone said that if there's ever a first-of-month release date, then it's an estimation. We've been seeing October 1 and November 1 dates on Amazon and other sites. (I thought one or two games might HAVE been released on the first of a month, but maybe not). But:

And Amazon just changed the release date to a specific day in the middle of September on their site. Jackson, please shoot me down if this is wrong. ;_;

It's certainly possible, especially as the 15th is a Tuesday, but typically the 1st, 15th, and last day of the month. We'll see, I guess.

Firestorm

WB is on the PAX exhibitor list.
5th Cell is located in WA.
So looks like I'll be trying this out on September 4th =) Going to make a beeline for this game :lol

XShagrath

I've been following this game for a while now. I showed some of the videos to my students on the projector one day this week before class, and they're all super-hyped now as well.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:

Wow, your probably one of the only people I've ever heard of never having a Gameboy, let alone a handheld console. It's time to hop aboard the handheld express.

Prothero

Neo Member
Don't know if this is old, but Scribblenauts has taken home GameSpot's Best Of Show at E3 Award as well! Congratulations again to 5th Cell!

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/e3-2009-editors-choice/game-of-the-show/index.html

Let's not beat around the bush: the last two E3s were monumentally disappointing, offering few surprises and even less excitement. However, the show returned this year with a bang and included a lineup of spectacular games that easily bested the selections from years past. Just in terms of the exciting games on hand, this year's E3 was one of the best yet, with sequels to heavy hitters such as Forza Motorsport 2, Assassin's Creed, God of War, and Modern Warfare on display. But it wasn't a sequel that impressed us most. It was a little-known Nintendo DS game called Scribblenauts.

When people first hear of Scribblenauts, they often think, "That's impossible. There's no way that's going to work." But somehow, it does. Scribblenauts transported us back to our childhood, when the world was our playground and anything and everything seemed possible. The basis of Scribblenauts is this: You type in the name of an object, any object (so long as it's not copyrighted), via the touch-screen keyboard, and the object immediately appears inside the game's world. Words such as "cat," "soccer ball," and "police car" all spawn the object you would expect. But the game goes much further than that, recognizing words such as "unicorn," "rocket launcher," and even "Ebola." Whatever we threw at it instantly appeared, seemingly magically. Once you've summoned your objects of choice, you can then interact with them. You can take the police car for a joy ride, catch a ride on a unicorn, or use a rocket launcher to fend off the army of zombies you've created. The possibilities seem endless, as our battle between God and a manticore clearly demonstrated, though neither was a match for the black hole we spawned soon after.

Everything we've just described can be performed on the game's title screen: a virtual sandbox that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Scribblenauts offers. The core of the game is wrapped around its 200-plus levels, each challenging you to use whatever objects you can imagine to complete the stated objectives. For instance, many of the missions require you to collect a star positioned somewhere out of reach. One level we saw had the star at the top of a tree; most players instinctively spawn a ladder to gain unfettered access to the star. But more-creative players may summon, say, a slingshot, to shoot the star out of the tree instead. We can't even imagine how many ways there must be to reach that star, but judging from what we saw at E3, we'll have a blast finding out.

Scribblenauts is simply one of the most original games we've ever seen. Whereas most games offer a limited number of options at any given time, the only restriction in Scribblenauts seems to be the limits of your imagination. That's not to take away from any of our other finalists, all of which look fantastic. But the fact that 5TH Cell was able to competently pull together a seemingly impossible concept and execute it in a manner that is captivating, exhilarating, and ground-breaking is precisely why it's our Game of the Show.

Tobor

Hopefully Best of Show awards from Gamespot, IGN, and Gamespy will convince WB to pump some serious marketing money into Scribblenauts.

jrricky

Banned
Now, now. If you guys run out of space for putting these accolades on the back of the box Jeremiah, keep it away from the front of the box OK...YOU HEAR ME!!!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Gamespot? Unicorns? Manticore? Ebola? Police cars? Slingshots?

Someone should make a count of how many solutions have officially been found by now for that Starite-in-a-tree puzzle. Then we all make a vow not to use ANY of them when we get the game and have to do that level!

Bernie

ITA84 said:
http://wiiz.fr/medias/soft/2/3427/t_24.jpg[/IMG

Looking at this screen, I can't help but wonder if the European version(s) will be multilingual.[/QUOTE]

OMG! That looks like a dutch screenshot. That's great news! Now I can type in "zakje" and I will see a bag _O_

JoeFu

Banned
Wow congrats Jackson!

I haven't said anything in this thread but this is my most anticipated game of the year!! Just preordered it on amazon :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ITA84 said:
t_24.jpg

Looking at this screen, I can't help but wonder if the European version(s) will be multilingual.
seeings as it says french and has no songs written in dutch then looks like. If this has dutch language Ill be staggered. just about no games have that.

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson makes me cry. Or maybe he's just not authorized to tell the release date yet. I don't know why Amazon would MOVE a placeholder date. :'(

So I've been thinking about this game philosophically, and it strikes me as very essentialist. It supposes that every object imaginable comes from some sort of essence that can be defined simply by writing it. For example, if you write "cow", you get the essence of a cow, not any specific cow with its own unique history. This makes me wonder if an existentialist version of this game could possibly be created, and if so, what would it look like?

Jackson

Blizzard said:
Jackson makes me cry. Or maybe he's just not authorized to tell the release date yet. I don't know why Amazon would MOVE a placeholder date. :'(
:lol sorry dude, that's up to WB to announce, not me.

Gigglepoo

Ha! You know, I actually did summon both a T Rex and Raptor during E3, but they just ended up fighting. Some game will have a Raptor Rex some day and I will do cartwheels. Cartwheels of joy.

Top Bottom