• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

KScorp said:
Many people don't want new info anymore because so much has already been given out. Even this thread is starting to slow down..

I haven't really seen the former, but the latter is mostly because this week has been a slow news week in general. It'll pick back up once news starts flowing again.

and with GamesCon, PAX, and 30 days to release on Saturday...the hype train will start back up

ombz

KScorp said:
It seems the hype train has gotten so massive that it's starting to collapse in on itself. Many people don't want new info anymore because so much has already been given out. Even this thread is starting to slow down.

Weather that's a good or bad thing is up to opinion. But I can't wait to see the Official Scribblenauts Thread when it comes out...
I think it's good if people slow down the hype train. Everyone will be very disappointed if they heighten their expectations even more.

After seeing the attempt to hook up the wire between two objects, I gotta say: Jackson, good call on no time limits. I'm sure a ham-fisted southpaw like me will have a heck of a time attaching things, but I'm ready to give it every effort.

I've seen enough to know exactly what my expectations are. I'd even say there's enough footage out there that the only hype you need is to tell someone the game exists and let them do the legwork.

Shiggy said:
They should put a demo onto the Nintendo Channel.
I don't think that would work, seeing as you really need the whole dictionary of objects available for any level. It'd just be way too big for a demo.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just got an e-mail from Amazon telling me that I can get Release Day shipping if I cancel my existing order and order it again.

Sweetness.

KScorp

someguyinahat said:
After seeing the attempt to hook up the wire between two objects, I gotta say: Jackson, good call on no time limits. I'm sure a ham-fisted southpaw like me will have a heck of a time attaching things, but I'm ready to give it every effort.
Yes, the removal of any time limit really opens up possibilities, especially for difficult-to-control objects. However, I believe time taken still affects your score. Not that many people are going to care. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Just got an e-mail from Amazon telling me that I can get Release Day shipping if I cancel my existing order and order it again.

Sweetness.
This was brought up a page or two back, and just to clarify again for everyone: It's free for premium members and costs like $6 for everyone else. And I think you can just edit your existing preorder, you don't have to reorder completely.

toonhead2

Neo Member
KScorp said:
Yes, the removal of any time limit really opens up possibilities, especially for difficult-to-control objects. However, I believe time taken still affects your score. Not that many people are going to care. :lol

Well I don't think it has any affect on score now, it did at first (first trailer) but they omitted the idea in favor for fun (stated in an interview). Its a smart move, really smart move. I cant imagine rushing through a game like this.

Alright, just pre-ordered this. I meant to pre-order it a month back, but I forgot about about doing so >_>. Fortunately, I received an Amazon gift card yesterday, which was the reminder I needed. Got it for $27.99, with free shipping :D

Now, what to buy with the $12.01 left on that gift card...

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Y'know, I'm thinking of setting up some sort of Scribblenauts high score record site for people who are so inclined to try maximizing their ollar amounts on each level...

Like, for each level, have a description and/or video of the highest scoring solution found thus far, or for an alternate challenge you can try to find three solutions for that level that have the highest combined score (without repeating any items, of course)

Some people might accuse me of stripping the fun out of the game though >_>

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:
Y'know, I'm thinking of setting up some sort of Scribblenauts high score record site for people who are so inclined to try maximizing their ollar amounts on each level...

Like, for each level, have a description and/or video of the highest scoring solution found thus far, or for an alternate challenge you can try to find three solutions for that level that have the highest combined score (without repeating any items, of course)

I'd also be in for this. I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to record decent quality videos of this game... it's going to suck having tons of blurry videos of stuff you can't see.

SmellyWaffles said:

I'm definitely going to do something similar for my blog, only I don't think I'd go the "Highest Ollars" route. It really isn't the POINT of the game, you know? And when you base something like that on an algorithm, it becomes a lot easier to "artificially" inflate their score by gaming the system. Maybe they spawn a random fish that they don't use but they get points because of...I dunno.

I think the real key here is to have contests with restrictions. Solve such a level but only using items you could find on a farm. Or figure out a level only using objects with AI. That sort of thing.

Orison

Neo Member
My local EB has never heard of the Rooster Hat. I'm not that surprised, but I still have hope that they'll be surprised by a box full of hats come launch day.

EBGames.ca continues, as usual, to be full of fail. "Scribblenauts? No such thing, lol." My favorite part is how the front page has a DS game (Monster Racers) coming soon, but the actual DS-specific page has an empty box for "Coming Soon." GG guys.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I wonder if you can turn enemies friendly by spawning "Cupid" and making him shoot a love-arrow into the enemy. Or, you could try and use "Love potion."

New preview I found.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/nintendo/games/158890.Scribblenauts/previews/133660.Scribblenauts/

Pretty standard fare until I reached this part...

An additional child-friendly inclusion is that any type of weapon can only have three shots

I've always been confused at how some weapons seemingly disappear after use in videos. Mostly it was the bazookas, though I noticed in at least one video the pistol just randomly vanishing. It seems this explanation is why that was happening, though I wonder if it really i due to "child-friendly" design or if it's simply for balance.

Cyndar

Neo Member
I don't think this is true. After all, we've seen videos that involve more than three shots. God Vs. Cthulhu comes to mind.

I wouldn't be so sure. Things may have changed. It's evident in videos with the bazooka that it clearly disappears after you fire a shot. Then there's this in the Kotaku "16 Attempts" article.

Attempt 8: Made gun. Shot bee dead. Gun disappeared. Made gun again

I'd say it's true.

Cyndar

Neo Member
That's disappointing, then. I mean, it's not like this'll ruin my game experience, or anything, but this means that you'll be constantly respawning guns.

I think it's a good way to balance, honestly. It would end up being a little too easy to simply run and gun while kiting enemies I think. It's probably the same reason some fly items have a recharge time. It encourages diversity.

I also wonder if NPCs get unlimited ammo, which might explain the God with shotgun thing

toonhead2

Neo Member
I've notice that too. The get the flowers in the basket puzzle video a gun was used to shoot the bee and it didn't disappear, just fell after use, but with the recent builds this may have change.

Jackson

I is back from my press tour (parts of which you've seen like on Xplay). :) More will come mid-to-late next week and beyond!

WowBaby said:
Scribblenauts is #1 best selling DS game at Amazon right now.:D

That's insane, really insane! I don't think you guys realize how insane that is so I'll break it down... on Drawn to Life's best days (a million selling title mind you) it didn't go past #5 on Amazon, ever.

And Scribblenauts is doing this on pre-orders alone! :lol (of course it ranks sales per hour, but still!)

SirPenguin said:
I think it's a good way to balance, honestly. It would end up being a little too easy to simply run and gun while kiting enemies I think. It's probably the same reason some fly items have a recharge time. It encourages diversity.

I also wonder if NPCs get unlimited ammo, which might explain the God with shotgun thing

You are correct on all fronts.

razdor2k

Banned
Ive chose a thought which can fix my thoughts about this game ^^

I realize that normal people that played this game had a lot fun, and very few have complained about the controls.

I was down because the games websites complained alot about the controls.

But after I realized its their job to complain about game stuff, my hype is getting up again :D

BTW... I don't think Scribblenauts is the best deal in amazon right now... because they still sell ancient stuff like the Beatles albums...

EDIT:

Jackson said:
I is back from my press tour (parts of which you've seen like on Xplay). :) More will come mid-to-late next week and beyond!

That's insane, really insane! I don't think you guys realize how insane that is so I'll break it down... on Drawn to Life's best days (a million selling title mind you) it didn't go past #5 on Amazon, ever.

And Scribblenauts is doing this on pre-orders alone! :lol (of course it ranks sales per hour, but still!)

You are correct on all fronts.

Can you tell us what are the names of the companies you were interviewed by?? pleaseeeeeeee...... :p :lol :lol :lol

jdogmoney

Firestorm said:
In 3 weeks I can play this at PAX.
*rubs hands*

If I were in your shoes, I'd have a list of words to try, and ignore everybody else's inevitable suggestions.

Like Mjolnir, for instance.

Blizzard

Banned
razdor2k said:
I realize that normal people that played this game had a lot fun, and very few have complained about the controls.

I was down because the games websites complained alot about the controls.

But after I realized its their job to complain about game stuff, my hype is getting up again :D

*edit*

Shot down by Jackson after I asked via PM. Controls haven't changed since E3, and people weren't complaining then, so I'm not really worried. :)

Check out this piece of art I found on this website:

http://www.smr24.com/Warner/Scribblenauts/gallery.html

I might chalk it up to fan art, but like...it looks pretty official. At the very least it looks REALLY well done.

fvaibm.jpg

I'm definitely in love with it

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Holy crap, that's awesome. And is that Lock in the upper-left corner? :D

EDIT: And that ninja is surfing!
And that T-Rex is riding a moped!
And that girl is spinning a leek!

oh snap

Blizzard

Banned
I just noticed it looks like the girl from http://www.leekspin.com/ in the middle... Also the Robin Hood guy with the plumber's helper is AWESOME, I really hope something like that works in game, though I have my doubts. :lol

*edit* Beaten by SmellyWaffles' edit, grr. Oh, and the fox at the bottom is SO CUTE. And isn't that some Japanese popular character in the top left, with the open mouth?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
...that art is...inspirational. I mean, I'm listening to Riverdance as I look at it, so that adds to the "inspire" quality a bit....but goddamn that's gorgeous.

EDIT: Something about the notebook and pencil clutched in his hand. They speak of a brave new world, and the tools with which to explore it...or something, i dunno, I'm in a poetic mood.

Oh snap, it is official! Nice catch on the signature.

And yeah, I set this as my background and I'm just so fucking in love with it. Whose that guy hanging from the balloons? Seems like it's a monster of some sort, but I feel like I should know what it looks like...

Take this with a pitch of salt but apparently the UK release date has been pushed forward to the the first week of September so that it doesn't clash with Professor Layton, got a friend whose misses, works at GAME and she said that on the release list she just got through, it mentioned Scribblenauts for the first week of September.

Hopefully this turns out to be true.

Top Bottom