• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

GDGF

Soothsayer
turk128 said:
Tried my hand at scribbling... the style is surprisingly hard :\

2jbk3v5.png
ojdlpv.png

Can't waits for the game.

Those are excellent!

(love the new impressions too...but Thor better be in the game! Don't let that one slip by!)

Yaweee

ChoklitReign said:
I wasn't expecting Spartans to be in. I wanted them to but it's a proper noun. Bet you $10 it's because of the This Is Sparta meme.

It might have been a proper noun originally, but it has grown to be its own word. I know there's a phrase for this type of word (like bedlam or masochistic), but I can't remember what it is...

1 : a native or inhabitant of ancient Sparta
2 : a person of great courage and self-discipline

Llyranor

Jackson said:
:lol People are going to cry and swear at me for some of the difficulty on the levels. You people have no idea.
Perfect. Lock's Quest on hard had a pretty good difficulty (but not overly so) level.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Poor Matt has to say the same spiel over and over again for all of these developer interviews. :lol

Some new info too. In the level editor, you can assign attributes to objects. That's kind of a big one.

Jme

Seriously, I feel bad for these guys basically reciting a script in every interview. But I guess that's the price you pay for innovation.

adg1034

BorkBork said:
Some new info too. In the level editor, you can assign attributes to objects. That's kind of a big one.

So they basically built a version of Objectnaut directly into the level editor? Pogo stick Jesus yes.

GDGF

Soothsayer
BorkBork said:
Poor Matt has to say the same spiel over and over again for all of these developer interviews. :lol

This is huge.

Kamikazi napalm monks for the win.

pulga

Banned
turk128 said:
Tried my hand at scribbling... the style is surprisingly hard :\

2jbk3v5.png
ojdlpv.png

Can't waits for the game.

Mind if I use the Jack one as an avatar? At least until someone Scribblefies the Beatles :D

BorkBork said:

That's not news, actually. It was revealed I think in an IGN video. Or maybe on Kotaku. They had mentioned being able to do things such as saying a bear will fear honey instead of liking it, that sort of thing.

Not like it matters, as that's still fantastic news all around

Yaweee said:
It might have been a proper noun originally, but it has grown to be its own word. I know there's a phrase for this type of word (like bedlam or masochistic), but I can't remember what it is...
That's an adjective.

Spartan - much like Einstein - has turned into an adjective-turned-noun to describe people with similar characteristics of the source proper noun.

At least that's how it looks. Either way, I highly doubt it's because of 300. It's not like that movie made Spartans/Sparta popular. Anybody who was anybody knew those bastards

Jackson

handofg0d said:
Seriously, I feel bad for these guys basically reciting a script in every interview. But I guess that's the price you pay for innovation.

Don't forget these interviews were all done during e3, when a lot of sites had never seen the game.

Even though you're getting the news 3 weeks later. :)

Yaweee

ChoklitReign said:
It's still a proper noun exempted from the rules probably because Peterson (the Scribblenauts dude?) likes 300.

'spartan', when not referring to somebody from Sparta, is not a proper noun, despite being derived from one. 'bedlam' used to refer to a specific asylum, but such usage is now rare. They're from the same class of words.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I will suck a dick for Fry from futurama in scribblenauts style.

FoxSpirit

Wow, the Titan crushed god... I see the outcry already: God not allpowerful!!! Seemingly harmless game featuring blasphemous messages!!!

MNC

So assigning attributes to objects? Doesn't that destroy the well thought out combining system a bit?
I'd feel alot of thought had been put in that system with alot of logic, only then to play a custom level where that logic might not work. Example, I need to chop a tree down in a custom level but discover my axe does not chop but instead burns things (in this case the tree will still down :p but you catch my drift)

Isn't that a bit contradicting to this amazing concept in the game?

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
So assigning attributes to objects? Doesn't that destroy the well thought out combining system a bit?
I'd feel alot of thought had been put in that system with alot of logic, only then to play a custom level where that logic might not work. Example, I need to chop a tree down in a custom level but discover my axe does not chop but instead burns things (in this case the tree will still down :p but you catch my drift)

So, don't download crappy levels from your friends. You'll only be able to have a few friends anyway, so you should be able to choose them well. :p

MNC

Blizzard said:
So, don't download crappy levels from your friends. You'll only be able to have a few friends anyway, so you should be able to choose them well. :p
What if it has a well thought out puzzle by changing a few objects, and I just don't know how to use those thanks to the attributes D:

I get what you're saying, but I don't get the purpose behind editing objects. Freedom of designing, I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
What if it has a well thought out puzzle by changing a few objects, and I just don't know how to use those thanks to the attributes D:

I get what you're saying, but I don't get the purpose behind editing objects. Freedom of designing, I guess.
I didn't watch the video, but basically if it's what I imagine it might be, it could give designers much more freedom in how they make something. Freedom is an amazing thing in a game, and I guess I'm almost always for allowing people more options, especially if it's very much an optional thing. :)

MNC said:

Well I'm sure the point of it is to keep things fresh, and it's 100% optional. It's suppose to add challenge, I'm sure, and force people to think outside the box within the "rules" of your level

I get what you mean, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it'll be any sort of problem.

Ramenman

The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.

Seriously, of all games, this game does it. And in the North-American release !!

Blizzard said:
That's my problem with it, that people are excited because cthulhu or death is in the game. The point of the puzzles is that you're supposed to think creatively...using cthulhu or Einstein with a shotgun isn't going to solve most puzzles, and I suspect people will get bored after trying weird things and memes, and disappointed that their pet meme isn't in the game. And annoyed, because "purple dildo" doesn't work and they didn't read the ruels about adjectives and E10 words.

You know the really simple puzzle in the most recent video? Where you go over, through, or under? Does anyone remember which puzzle it was? Assuming it's in the first 10, that's good. But if that were puzzle like...199, then I could see how people would get bored. Hopefully the hints can be turned off too. :lol

Who cares if they like the game or not ? The important is that they BUY it so that 5th Cell earns A HUGE LOT OF MONEY because they deserve to.

There will be whiny bitches. They're always there. You're on the forum where we had a "I'm so disappointed in Professor Layton because it keeps asking me to solve puzzles" thread not long ago, you know.

FoxSpirit said:
Wow, the Titan crushed god... I see the outcry already: God not allpowerful!!! Seemingly harmless game featuring blasphemous messages!!!

Maybe if I type "Islam", a small light source appears.

It's way early but I don't think you have to be a brain surgeon to get the idea this game will sell well and I wonder if it will spawn:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol numerous sequels or the ambitious development team will just use it as a creative stepping stone to innovate once again with an original IP.

Kilroy

Ramenman said:
Seriously, of all games, this game does it. And in the North-American release !!
Sorry to derail, but are there a difference between regular french and canadian? South Park has lead me to believe that canadian is like english, but with added 'Eh?'s.

Kilroy said:
Sorry to derail, but are there a difference between regular french and canadian? South Park has lead me to believe that canadian is like english, but with added 'Eh?'s.

Yes, French-Canadian is a significantly different dialect from European French. (Not that I can speak either of them.)

dunno if this was asked/answered yet, but will the game have multiple save files? 2 people in my household will be playing at the same time and I just want to know if I need to get 2 copies or not

also:

in before "get 2 copies anyway," which I probably will :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gryphter said:
dunno if this was asked/answered yet, but will the game have multiple save files? 2 people in my household will be playing at the same time and I just want to know if I need to get 2 copies or not

also:

in before "get 2 copies anyway," which I probably will :D
I may be wrong, but I think Jackson said there was only 1 save slot.

Shiine

I wonder how much clothes there will be in the game.

Can you wright like: Red Shirt? Brown Shirt? Wifebeater? Chinos? and so on.

Blizzard

Banned
Brannon said:
With the proper... software, we can make that... you know... possible... ish...

I'd love to have a PC version too, but I'm still buying at least two copies for the DS, one of them preordered. I'm doing this to support the developers, and giving the other copy to someone that would very likely otherwise run a pirated ROM on their DS. I assume they do it because it's cheaper (I know some people do it because it's convenient). If I buy it for them, at least they can't say it's cheaper.

MNC said:
I think I actually saw a video once which had 3 slots, I think. I THINK.
If we're thinking about the same video it looked like it had 2 save slots - one was called EeeThree or something like that.

Top Bottom