• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

I think it was that his bullets were being blocked by the edge of the land. In fact I think he says exactly that, as later on he shoots the fish just fine from a different angle.

Now that I read that I wonder if that's what happened in the IGN video when he tried the squirt gun to get the cat off the roof. It looked like such a cool solution, but it didn't look like he was hitting the cat.

stupei

SirPenguin said:
I think it was that his bullets were being blocked by the edge of the land. In fact I think he says exactly that, as later on he shoots the fish just fine from a different angle.

Now that I read that I wonder if that's what happened in the IGN video when he tried the squirt gun to get the cat off the roof. It looked like such a cool solution, but it didn't look like he was hitting the cat.

Unless I missed something or read it incorrectly, he never manages to shoot the fish and only achieves any success in the lake using the corpses. He does say that about the edge of the land but then he also says he attempts to shoot from the air balloon later and destroys the balloon instead.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Jus pre-ordered from Amazon. Hope my Prime shipment gets bumped up to release day shipping.

EDIT: Also for the pirahna he should have dumped poison in the water.

stupei said:
Unless I missed something or read it incorrectly, he never manages to shoot the fish and only achieves any success in the lake using the corpses. He does say that about the edge of the land but then he also says he attempts to shoot from the air balloon later and destroys the balloon instead.

Ah, you're right, I misread it. Still, I have the feeling it could have worked, as this is why he said it failed:

Attempted to shoot piranha dead. Bad shooting angle and touchy controls prevented this. Either was too far away and shooting into ground (game was connecting Maxwell's gun to fish in straight line; allowing me to select a "shoot" prompt when tapping on piranha, even though trajectory was blocked

Apoc29

So how do liquids work in this game? Do they all spawn inside their own small container? Can I do something like fill a swimming pool with apple juice or sulfuric acid?

MNC

It seems half those attempts could have been made into successes if he tried to react to the problems that seemed to occur. The bear got out, but he could for example have made rifle and shot the bear for instance and I'm sure Totilo knew that too, so the way this has been done was with predetermined thought. Though the way the preview is put is good and interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
That interview was short, but Jeremiah mentioned that you could use the level editor to edit existing levels. Does that mean there's not support for new from-scratch levels? (I doubt it would be a problem either way, since there are more than enough existing levels to edit)

Also, I imagine you can still play the existing levels after editing them? :p

I remember many pages back there was a video of someone using the level editor. It didn't look like he created the background level/backdrop, but I think you can edit anything in the foreground(ie; dig tunnels, make hills, drop in ai with unique interactions in regard to other items in the level, etc), and I know you can drop in some background objects such as the Full Moon.

Hope this helps.

KScorp

Blizzard said:
That interview was short, but Jeremiah mentioned that you could use the level editor to edit existing levels. Does that mean there's not support for new from-scratch levels? (I doubt it would be a problem either way, since there are more than enough existing levels to edit)

Also, I imagine you can still play the existing levels after editing them? :p
I believe they have templates for new levels as well, if one of the 220 levels in Scribblenauts aren't enough. I'm not entirely sure if you can edit the boundaries of the map and edit the foreground.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
Sweet, he used my question. :D

quote3-620x.jpg

Anyone wanna take a crack at what that guy is supposed to be? Giant with a diving helmet perhaps?

sw33tclyde said:
SirPenguin you sir are a scholar and a gentleman, without you I would be in the dark. Keep up the good work.

(edit.. how2grammr?)

No problem, duder. Maintaining a Scribblenauts blog is my very passionate hobby, so I like to share my findings with the various forums I frequent.

jdogmoney

This is rather late, but...

Pandora's Box spawns a crate. (Naturally. It's empty now, except for hope, depending on what version you read.)

How much more mythology is in the game? Golden fleece? Hippogriffs?

And not just Grecian, but other myths, too.

Norse, for example.

Can...can I summon Thor to my side?!

Or, heck, the more obscure, the better. Anansi the African spider god, maybe? Eostre, pagan fertility goddess? Epona, Celtic horse goddess?

Or, more importantly, Thor?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
jdogmoney said:
This is rather late, but...

Pandora's Box spawns a crate. (Naturally. It's empty now, except for hope, depending on what version you read.)

How much more mythology is in the game? Golden fleece? Hippogriffs?

And not just Grecian, but other myths, too.

Norse, for example.

Can...can I summon Thor to my side?!

Or, heck, the more obscure, the better. Anansi the African spider god, maybe? Eostre, pagan fertility goddess? Epona, Celtic horse goddess?

Or, more importantly, Thor?

At the very least, Thor's hammer?

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Sayyy, I just noticed something else about those video solutions. Trying to anger a bull with a red flag? Last time I checked, matadors used CAPES, not flags.

...yes, I'm trying to defend Scribblenauts every chance I get :p

ombz

I really wasn't deterred by *****'s video, 5th Cell can't make everything perfect with the massive amount of content in the game.

Smash88

Banned
An Idiot said:
Are you fucking kidding me? People find this experience entertaining? Replaying the same damn level FIFTEEN times before getting it "right" is not fun to me, it's outright frustrating. Especially considering one of the most glaring faults this game has:

There is NO reason EVERY control in this game needed to be touch-based. Half of your missteps could have been avoided had you been given actual control over Maxwell's movements or item use (via the d-pad and buttons, presumably).

I played this game at E3 and it was the worst game I got my hands on (and I even played Section 8... zing). The controls sucked all the fun out, but when I was told by the development representative to enter "any real world object's name and the game will render it" I immediately entered "torch" and it couldn't be done. She then told me to enter "invisibility cloak," which certainly appeared. I asked her why a fictional blanket was in the game but a stick on fire wasn't. She gave me a blank stare and I walked away in disgust.

Concept = A+
Execution = F

:lol :lol

I don't mean to bring negativity to this game/thread, but some of the users on various game sites are complete and utter morons. I haven't played the game, but the stuff this kid is nitpicking at is really sad, just so he can be noticed.

Edit: ^^^

omg, we are the same person. I literally JUST got done reading that comment. Talk about one bitter motherfucker, eh? What kills me is that 1-11 is not a hard level by any stretch of the imagination. The previewer was purposefully experimenting and trying new things instead of refining one idea.

SmellyWaffles said:
Sayyy, I just noticed something else about those video solutions. Trying to anger a bull with a red flag? Last time I checked, matadors used CAPES, not flags.

...yes, I'm trying to defend Scribblenauts every chance I get :p

He chased after the flag, just not when the girl held it.

Jackson

I immediately entered "torch" and it couldn't be done. She then told me to enter "invisibility cloak," which certainly appeared. I asked her why a fictional blanket was in the game but a stick on fire wasn't. She gave me a blank stare and I walked away in disgust.

Funny, cause writing Torch gives the option of Flashlight or Torch (with fire on top) which has been in months before E3. He musta played the "I wasn't really at E3 but I like to troll about it" version.

It's a cool version, but doesn't have all the features of the real version. :(

He chased after the flag, just not when the girl held it.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think she was holding it below his line of sight, behind the table. I could be wrong though... AI has line of sight though. So when it was standing upright, the bull noticed it immediately.

They call Jackson the Big Boss for a reason. Look at that mothefucker trash another fool on the internet like it was nothing.

Fuck.

Smash88

Banned
God damn I love you guys even more now, if I had the money I'd buy a copy for each one of my friends and we'd all go running through the streets with Maxwell hats :lol

Like a BOSS!

Jackson, I'm still wondering: Any response to Edge's control problems?

Were they cluttering the level with too much stuff, making it hard to pick the one they wanted? It sounded like they were setting up some rather complex solutions. I'm not too worried (I have 4 copies preordered), but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

Feep

Banned
A "torch" is one of the things with which I immediately tried to kill the robot zombies at E3. It's listed in Post 217, and as Jackson states, it works fine. That guy is an idiot.

Jackson

TelemachusD said:
Jackson, I'm still wondering: Any response to Edge's control problems?

Were they cluttering the level with too much stuff, making it hard to pick the one they wanted? It sounded like they were setting up some rather complex solutions. I'm not too worried (I have 4 copies preordered), but I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

I don't like commenting on critic's remarks because that's their job. So they can say what they want.

So instead I'll just post what other critics said today -- Kotaku said:

Stephen Tolito said:
Maxwell's touch-based movement controls took some getting used to... better to touch the part of the ground where you want him to stop then just touching the general direction you want him to move. And item-wielding sometimes turned into accidental item-tossing, since both using and tossing are based on tapping the screen. Small frustrations. The level was a delight.

And ******* who talked about some issues with the controls earlier said today:

Justin McElroy said:
In our short time with the game, we were actually even more impressed with Scribblenauts than we had been previously.

So... different opinions from different people. There ya go.

I understand your position. Thanks for the reply.

Was there much discussion during development of using some button controls vs. the all stylus method you went with? I recently bought Docomodake DS which uses both simultaneously and didn't have much problem with it, but it was a bit hard for my niece and nephew to get used to.

AllenMS828

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:
^I'm pretty sure the reason that he couldn't shoot the piranha was because bullets don't penetrate water.. not because of control issues like he seemed to be blaming it on

He should've tried creating a barrel and trapping the piranha in it before firing at it. Everyone knows fish are easier to shoot when they're in a barrel. :lol

toonhead2

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Funny, cause writing Torch gives the option of Flashlight or Torch (with fire on top) which has been in months before E3. He musta played the "I wasn't really at E3 but I like to troll about it" version.

:lol :lol :lol

Jackson said:
I'm not 100% certain, but I think she was holding it below his line of sight, behind the table. I could be wrong though... AI has line of sight though. So when it was standing upright, the bull noticed it immediately.

Thats what I thought, it was evident in the video. If you write muleta (though spanish) will it spawn the actual red cape that matadors use?

razdor2k

Banned
Jackson, next time someone complain about the controls just tell them "Yea ok, im sorry, this game also requires a New DSL/DSi for perfection" :lol

Puffles

Banned
Jackson said:

Jackson takes down trolls with style! :lol

Can we summon you in-game to fight literal trolls (the kind that make you pay tolls to cross bridges)? That would be awesome.

Lovechild

Neo Member
What's this? A scribblenauts themed little flash animation? Why, yes. Yes it is!
PUBCGbukd.jpg

And here's the link: http://www.swfupload.com/view/119115.htm

(I'm a flashnoob so I have yet to learn about loading stuff and probably a whole lots of other things as well... And if anyone knows of a better way to host and share it, please let me know.)

toonhead2

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:

Cool thanks, its a nice variety of videos. Ok I really want to play this and I mean NOW!

I wonder if the scribblenaut was the original character concept.

ombz said:
I wonder why the night vision googles came off Maxwell when the user added a star to the sky?

Looks like he just tapped Maxwell right after he put the star up, which took them off, to probably give us a better view of the star.

Man, what an amazing set of videos. I'm trying to do some impressions of them for my site but I can't stop watching them!

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Maybe it's differentiating between a manual rickshaw and an auto rickshaw. Of course, there'd be no way of telling which is which until you try it out... >_>

MNC

Lovechild said:
What's this? A scribblenauts themed little flash animation? Why, yes. Yes it is!
PUBCGbukd.jpg

And here's the link: http://www.swfupload.com/view/119115.htm

(I'm a flashnoob so I have yet to learn about loading stuff and probably a whole lots of other things as well... And if anyone knows of a better way to host and share it, please let me know.)
Simple, clean and good in the style of Scribblenauts! And I wouldn't worry about a preloader with such a short animation. Learn the basic actionscript of buttons first! :D

Edit: What would be the difference between an auto and manual rickshaw? would one be already having a 'driver' and the other empty? :D

Lovechild

Neo Member
Bazoozoo_ said:
:lol Really like that flash animation

MNC said:
Simple, clean and good in the style of Scribblenauts! And I wouldn't worry about a preloader with such a short animation. Learn the basic actionscript of buttons first! :D

Heehee, thanks guys! And yeah, I should really have added a start button. I just wanted to get it over with, haha.

Puffles said:
When he types in RICKSHAW, it looks like the game asks him:

Does it actually say the same thing twice? Is that a glitch? Or am I just seeing things?

Also, why would a knight attack a phoenix? Aren't they both generally regarded as being on the side of good?

There are two different types of rickshaws. The one in the video (which most people probably think of when they hear rickshaw) and a larger bus type one, like this.

Top Bottom