• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

xfactor

Banned
I immediately entered "torch" and it couldn't be done. She then told me to enter "invisibility cloak," which certainly appeared. I asked her why a fictional blanket was in the game but a stick on fire wasn't. She gave me a blank stare and I walked away in disgust.

is the bitterness so strong that those trolls are now making up lies to talk bad about the game?

Either that guy was lying, or he didn't read the bottom screen when it gave him a choice of the type of torch. He might have thought that because the screen of alternate choices came up, that the word wasn't recognized at all.

I say we give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not trolling; he's just illiterate.

Cyndar said:
Oy, Jackson, people over at GameSpot (Myself included) are wondering if the word 'RANDOM' will spawn a random item. Personally, I'm hoping against it, but, care to answer?

Seems like a lot of people want to know the answer to this. I assume "Random" does nothing, but yeah, just reiterating the question!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, some recent coverage has made me pessemistic as to the whole "re-used assets" thing, and while I'm still pretty sure that "Tulips" and "Daisys" will just spawn generic flowers, those videos have done a lot to restore my faith.

(Hey, Jackson, are Tulips and Daisys distinct flowers? :D )

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Maybe knights are trained to annihilate anything that's magical but not humanoid

Unless they're ugly humanoids like ogres or trolls

Knights are just dicks in general

GDGF

Soothsayer
SmellyWaffles said:
Maybe knights are trained to annihilate anything that's magical but not humanoid

Unless they're ugly humanoids like ogres or trolls

Knights are just dicks in general

I wonder if a Knight would slay a Unicorn.

I'd really like to see that for some reason :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Livin_Lovin said:
Did that vampire turn God into a vampire? What the fuck would be the real world consequences of having God as a vampire?

It would be night time 24/7 for one.

Garlic would forever vanish from the earth.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
GDGF said:
It would be night time 24/7 for one.

Garlic would forever vanish from the earth.

Taking upon the blood of christ in sacrament/communion would take a whole new meaning.

SirPenguin said:
Seems like a lot of people want to know the answer to this. I assume "Random" does nothing, but yeah, just reiterating the question!

I think the game only responds to nouns if I remember correctly, so I don't think the word 'random' would generate anything random.

But there's like a 50% chance that I'm wrong. :p

Nocebo

-Yeti said:
I think the game only responds to nouns if I remember correctly, so I don't think the word 'random' would generate anything random.

There are some exceptions. Like "lolwut".

xfactor

Banned
Puffles said:

JR: What was the most surprising combination of objects to achieve a goal?

Brett:This seems a logical and easy enough question, but answering it is profoundly difficult! Every day in testing people came up with solutions nobody had thought of, and sometimes which they themselves hadn't intended. Picking the most surprising one seems an impossible task and I'll probably have to go for the now somewhat Internet-famous story reported in a forum post after someone had played the game at E3.

He entered a level that had zombie robots in it which he needed to get past. Rayguns, torches and pickaxes proved ineffective at dispatching the enemies, so in frustration he put in "time machine", and to his surprise up one popped.

He climbed into the time machine and travelled to pre-historic times, jumped on a dinosaur and rode it back through the time machine and used it to stomp all over the zombies, thus allowing him to get to the starite and finish the level.

Everyone who plays Scribblenauts has stories to tell about things that happened that they didn't plan or expect. Such antics have reduced myself and my wife to tears of laughter more than once. It is a game full of surprises where the only limit is your imagination.

post 217

razdor2k

Banned
Jackson please refer to the next thought:

After thinking about scribblenauts over and over again, i think something may be work out to make the game more challenging, if so.

I know you already think The game is already done, we don't have time for that till release, but im just suggesting :D

There should be a challenge where you canno't remove your creations after conjuring them...

Why? because to kill someone you can spawn a T-Rex, and then after you killed that person you can just remove the T-Rex, and the challenge isn't really working with the real thinking, and is that how you kill that T-Rex that you summoned, that way, people will need to think about it all, not about Luckily thinking about something that kills a Lion like Medusa, but then the Medusa won't be a challenge to the player cus he can just Drag and drop her into the Can.

Another example: There may be a switch that controls 2 doors, in one side stands our hero, Maxwell, in the other side of the doors lies the starite.

The switch is near the place where Maxwell starts, and by default, The door near the Starite is opened, and the door near Maxwell is closed, after standing on the ground switch / puting a box on it, the switch activates and the door near maxwell is opened, but the door near the starite is closed, now because what i have said in start, you can just remove the box and the door will open, its not that challanging is it? but if you couldn't remove the box, you have to think about how to destroy the box! or make a Dog that stands on it, and after crossing the first door, you can summon Cat/Meat so he will move off that button, and thats more challanging, isn't it?

Please refer to this, took me alot time to think of.

Orpheon

Banned
xfactor said:
Without the glamorous profanities.

Given the amount of attention Post 217 has garnered - it would only be a matter of time before a family-friendly version of the story is used to draw even more publicity by WB.

Kuran

Banned
razdor2k said:

After thinking about scribblenauts over and over again, i think something may be work out to make the game more challenging, if so.

I know you already think The game is already done, we don't have time for that till release, but im just suggesting :D

There should be a challenge where you canno't remove your creations after conjuring them...

Why? because to kill someone you can spawn a T-Rex, and then after you killed that person you can just remove the T-Rex, and the challenge isn't really working with the real thinking, and is that how you kill that T-Rex that you summoned, that way, people will need to think about it all, not about Luckily thinking about something that kills a Lion like Medusa, but then the Medusa won't be a challenge to the player cus he can just Drag and drop her into the Can.

Another example: There may be a switch that controls 2 doors, in one side stands our hero, Maxwell, in the other side of the doors lies the starite.

The switch is near the place where Maxwell starts, and by default, The door near the Starite is opened, and the door near Maxwell is closed, after standing on the ground switch / puting a box on it, the switch activates and the door near maxwell is opened, but the door near the starite is closed, now because what i have said in start, you can just remove the box and the door will open, its not that challanging is it? but if you couldn't remove the box, you have to think about how to destroy the box! or make a Dog that stands on it, and after crossing the first door, you can summon Cat/Meat so he will move off that button, and thats more challanging, isn't it?

Please refer to this, took me alot time to think of.

You have a good point, the way it is now I imagine the excitement wearing off quickly after you tried a few things.. it would make for a better game if you had to deal with the consequences instead of just being able to throw anything in the trash after.

Will there be any pre-order bonus or collector/limited edition in Europe?

Would love to get my hands on an art book and some making of documentary. Also the possibilities for figurines/plush toys are pretty much endless.

xfactor

Banned
What will make Scribblenauts more awesome is if 5th cell write up the post 217 story at the back of the box to advertise the game.

Ytoabn

Neo Member
Jackson:

If you find time to answer this, do you have permission to be more specific about the Level Editor. I understand how it would work for an action level, just place a Starite, place some obstacles, off you go. However, I wonder if you can do puzzle levels in the Level Editor, and how would that work? Would you give a command to a certain object that if it were destroyed, produce a Staritie? Or like that example puzzle level of a cat on a house. Does the Cat object have a command, that if it is held by the Cat Owner Object, produce a Starite?

Blizzard

Banned
razdor2k said:

*stuff*
Did this remind anyone else of a Simpsons reference? :D

Mudkips

Banned
Blizzard said:
Did this remind anyone else of a Simpsons reference? :D

SKINNER Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Lovechild

Neo Member
One thought: How about a feature keeping track of your most frequently used items? I'm guessing GLUE would be pretty high up... A top ten list would be neat!

KScorp

razdor2k said:

It would indeed create a challenge, but then many words would be untried as they would simply be too difficult to use. A T-Rex wouldn't be spawned because you would likely require another item or two to get rid of it.

I think it's a bit too late for major changes to the game. (Also, we really don't know what restrictions puzzles have at this moment - some levels may ban flying objects, others you can't trash objects, and others only allow living things. You really don't know.)

If the restriction was placed only on certain levels, that would be nice.

KScorp said:
I think it's a bit too late for major changes to the game.
It's too late for any changes at all, isn't it? I thought it was finished. It's why Edge's preview was a bit disappointing, because having Max on the D-Pad does make a lot of sense but it's too late to change it, or even offer it as an alternative control scheme. It's going to be heartbreaking seeing this game review poorly because of control issues when the potential was there for 11/10s.

Still getting it though, natch.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
toythatkills said:
It's going to be heartbreaking seeing this game review poorly because of control issues when the potential was there for 11/10s.

It will, I think, be one of those where it is apparent to all that the few people who review it poorly have no soul.

It would be nice if Metacritic took an axe to their weightings.

rawk

-Yeti said:

"something" or "anything" might work. Has anyone tried those?

KScorp

toonhead2 said:
I don't think this was posted already. If anyones interested an interview with Nathan Hernandez, lead animator of the game.
http://www.tcmagazine.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=78018
I wish I could of worked on this game.
TC: What was your favorite thing to animate?

NH: I particularly liked the monster. I got a lot of inspiration from “Where The Wild Things Are”

Someone in this thread noticed it a while back. Good call. :D

Lovechild

Neo Member
toonhead2 said:
I don't think this was posted already. If anyones interested an interview with Nathan Hernandez, lead animator of the game.
http://www.tcmagazine.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=78018
I wish I could of worked on this game.

I also really liked animating the dinosaur. When I was growing up, I watched a lot of “Denver the Last Dinosaur.” I made sure the artist drew him kind of like him, and then I made him animate like Denver.

<3 <3 <3

Just a little while ago I was dreaming of the releasedate when I was able to write DINOSAUR, SKATEBOARD and SUNGLASSES. I'm not the only one, it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvFEng9EK8

GDGF

Soothsayer
animation interview said:
TC: What was your favorite thing to animate?

NH: I particularly liked the monster. I got a lot of inspiration from “Where The Wild Things Are”

KScorp said:
Someone in this thread noticed it a while back. Good call. :D

Thank you :D

dojokun

Banned
Mudkips said:
SKINNER Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.
This type of logic might work in Scribblenauts... so awesome.

Lovechild

Neo Member
dojokun said:
Well maybe you could spawn a freezer. But if you COULD type in "winter" and have it become winter that would rock.
Haha I would love to test if a FREEZER would freeze FABULOUS TYPE OF GORILLA to death. :lol

KScorp

dojokun said:
Well maybe you could spawn a freezer. But if you COULD type in "winter" and have it become winter that would rock.
It would certainly be possible, seeing as there are 11 worlds, and I'm betting all the seasons are covered. Then it would just be a task of changing the graphics of the ground and background.

WowBaby

For anyone who pre-ordered Scribblenauts at amazon.com, they are offering free release day delivery. You just need to edit your order accordingly!:D

Blizzard

Banned
WowBaby said:
For anyone who pre-ordered Scribblenauts at amazon.com, they are offering free release day delivery. You just need to edit your order accordingly!:D
Oh SNAP, and that's for non-premium orders? I'm gonna preorder at Gamestop as well for the hat, though...but that's amazing, especially since it's only $28 at Amazon.

WowBaby said:

Well, that does it.. I just pre-ordered it at Amazon.

Top Bottom