• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls |OT| Mojang's amazing unique TCG, out of beta and an all new low price!

Falaut

Tried to find it on the Play store with my phone (Z1) and nothing. Tried my OG Samsung note 10.1, found it, and trying it now. Seems like my cup of tea.

deoee

I remember buying this, whent it was relatively new and had fun playing it.
But I was "too bad" for real Multiplayer, had the feeling I was being overwhelmed by too many opponent's decks :(

Morokh

I remember buying this, whent it was relatively new and had fun playing it.
But I was "too bad" for real Multiplayer, had the feeling I was being overwhelmed by too many opponent's decks :(

You can play versus an AI (any difficulty), and do daily challenges with a unique randomized twist now, so that may be a good place to start and get your bearings.

Just completed today's hard trial, had to create a special deck to beat it ! took me 7 tries, and the succeeding try took around 45 min xD that was crazy ! (good :D )

MisterM

Just in case others are wondering, I tried a couple of the dailies last night on my HP Stream 7 (Windows 8.1 w/bing tablet) and Scrolls works incredibly well. Touch controls are slightly more fiddly than Hearthstone but Scrolls is easily playable using fat fingers and a small screen.

Faabulous

Is there any site with decklists? I netdeck a lot in hearthstone, so I tought I should try netdecking here too since all I build sucks.
Also I need to give purpose to the gold I've been hoarding.

rusticdog

Neo Member
Is there any site with decklists? I netdeck a lot in hearthstone, so I tought I should try netdecking here too since all I build sucks.
Also I need to give purpose to the gold I've been hoarding.

Yeah www.scrolldier.com is probably the best resource. Takes a little to get to work out how to import/export, but the decks are there and searchable.

Morokh

I don't like playing competitively. How is this game in single player?

There is a number of 'trials' (50+) that are matches with a special twist to complete (easy to hard difficulty versus AI)

Each day you have a new random Trial for each difficulty (with rules that may or may not be present in the hard-coded ones)

And your regular VS AI matches.

If it is just the competitive aspect of the game you can't stand 'Quick matches' are multiplayer unranked matches.

Judgement makes you fight another human opponent but you have to each build your deck on the fly before starting in a limited pool of cards, so everyone starts on almost equal grounds.

theMrCravens said:
Anything I should buy early on with gold, or avoid altogether ?
Browsing the shop is kinda overwhelming.

Avoid crafting, and buying avatar skins early, that's pretty much it :p

On top of your starter deck you'll unlock other starting decks by completing the required achievements (winning X matches VS this type of resource, be it in single or multiplayer)

Maybe just play a bit, unlock those, see how they work and which style you may like more, and then buy things from there with what you've saved-up.

Try to get a few other complete decks first to really build up a collection that already has things that work well together.

With tutorials + achievements giving gold, and the easy and medium trials each day that aren't too hard and give you 600+ gold it shouldn't be too long to reach 5000 for a complete new deck or two.

On top of your starter deck you'll unlock other starting decks by completing the required achievements (winning X matches VS this type of resource, be it in single or multiplayer)
Didn't know about this. Thanks.

Should I buy all those pre-constructed decks too ?

Morokh

Do you still get gold for the trials/AI matches?

AI matches yes, the amount varies with difficulty and if you win or loose. (I think you earn a bit less than a match against a human opponent, but i'm not entirely sure)

Trials only the first time you complete them, except for the 3 dailies because they refresh every day.

theMrCravens said:
Should I buy all those pre-constructed decks too ?

I'm not necessarily saying you should (cause some people like to make their own thing from scratch), but they are definitely a great way to start up a collection of scrolls.

A Deck is also meant to be standalone so if you're not yet familiar with deck-building you'll have an easier time playing with one.

Then you can easily customize them to your liking with personal suggestions from the shop or scrolls bought on the black market.

nkarafo

lol it's been a while since I played them, so the first one had the cool painted portaits...
Actually the second one has the best portraits :p

disciples_2_dark_prophecy-2.jpg

paladin_portret.gif

1249296660_leg_pal.jpg

1338735090752.jpg

doomdrake1280x1024.jpg

324704500.jpg

mq1.jpg

disciples_2_dark_prophecy-4.jpg

Shadybiz

This sounds pretty cool.

Dumb (?) question: If I want to play this mainly on PC, but maybe sometimes on my ipad, can I switch back and forth between devices with the same username (i.e., keep the same decks that I have, etc)? That is, when the iOS version actually comes out.

rusticdog

Neo Member
This sounds pretty cool.

Dumb (?) question: If I want to play this mainly on PC, but maybe sometimes on my ipad, can I switch back and forth between devices with the same username (i.e., keep the same decks that I have, etc)? That is, when the iOS version actually comes out.

Yup, everything is tied to your account so nothing extra required when iOS gets released apart from install.

rusticdog

Neo Member
Well that site kind of sucks. Can't sort the decks, can barely filter etc..
Is that the only option? Guess Hearthstone spoiled me for choice.

Well if you're looking at something YouTubish, then Blinky and Nrp are the more prolific posters of videos. They post decklists, talk about choices etc...

Reddit is good, as when tournaments are played decklists are usually also there, e.g. latest tournament http://www.reddit.com/r/Scrolls/comments/2p3gz4/we_are_now_located_at_wwwtwitchtvscrolls_here_are/

Searching by Author is probably the best on Scrolldier. Off the top of my head, Nrp123, Blinky, antirad, Squiddy are all players who seem to keep decks updated, though I'm sure there are more

Noaloha

Anyone know of any up-to-date guides for deck building fundamentals? Are there any guideline numbers that have been established, like a ratio of permanents to spells, or a list of scrolls that are considered solidly in the 'good stats/effects for this cost' category (and, conversely, scrolls considered poor value)? I'm not looking for netdecks or anything (though at some point, when I understand the game better, I guess I should take a look at whatever's popular to get a feel for why they work), I'm just hoping to read a guide or two - that isn't based on old info - to lay some foundations on what cards and deck-balances have proven themselves.

yasu151

Anyone know of any up-to-date guides for deck building fundamentals?

I have been looking around too, but couldn't find too much. I played until i had enough funds to purchase the scrolls recommended for this deck on scrolldier. It's been a fun deck, and better than the starter I used, but I don't have a basis on which to say if it's still current.

In hindsight, after playing through the trials, some of the starter decks I was awarded would have saved me some gold as they contain some of the cards on the recommended deck. I'm still playing through trials/skirmishes with AI, as I'm still learning the depth to this game.

Should I come across any guides, I'll certainly post 'em, but as the OP mentioned trials/daily challenges have netted me the most gold. Until I figure out a better strategy, I'm simply saving 1,000 gold at a time and then buying the pack of random scrolls. I figure by the time I know what I'm doing, I'll have hopefully amassed enough scrolls to enjoy building my own decks to my style of play.

Here are some decks that I've made:

Watchergeddon - A slower, creature focused mid-range decay deck, where you contest for the board via creature formations consisting of cheap but relatively beefy units, pinging away at idols until you have enough decay to do a Watchergeddon - using the Watcher in combination with Necrogeddon to deal indirect damage to a bunch of idols and create attacking Husks.

Undead Stomp - An aggro/combo undead focused decay deck that relies on strong undead units and scrolls that synergize with them, such as the Flesh Animator, Irva, and Restless Bones. You want to go for Idols with this deck.

Rangergy - A pretty standard mid-range Energy deck that utilized lobber and ranged attack units.

Torder - A very fast-paced aggro order deck for the impatient players. You aim for the Idols, trying to get them down to 2 or 4 Health, so that you can finish them off with Decimations. Avoid your opponent units as much as possible, and go for idols whenever you can. There's one rule you must follow with this deck:

Surrender if you haven't won by Round 15.

The point of this deck is to quickly play, and win, games and thus help you climb the ladder more quickly, and dragging out a lost game or a game close to loss will just cut down on the time you could spend winning a future game.

rusticdog

Neo Member
More of the theory-crafting article here and a video which I haven't watched, but appropriately titled "A beginners guide to deck-building"

As a general rule, you want probably 25-30 creatures in your deck. There are always exceptions, but a standard deck to be competitive would be around this number.

Scrolls I would consider MVPs from each faction would be :

Growth :
215px-Kinfolk_Brave.png
215px-Kinfolk_Veteran.png
215px-Stag_Heart.png
215px-Wetland_Ranger.png

Kinfolk Brave : Early board presence and attacking each turn
Kinfolk Veteran : Haste is an outstanding effect and will get you out of trouble many times
Stag Heart : The Stag Heart buffs compound and help create some nasty nasty units
Wetland Ranger : Attacking each turn and buffing other units attacks if it hits an idol.

Order :
215px-Aging_Knight.png
215px-Reloras%2C_Lord_Knight.png
215px-Royal_Skirmisher.png
215px-Ducal_Skirmisher.png

Aging Knight : Early board presence
Reloras, Lord Knight : Unique, so only allowed one of the field, but buffs this guy offers are amazing, especially to relentless units.
Royal Skirmisher : Relentless, nuff said.
Ducal Skirmisher : As above, but even better.

Energy :
215px-Dust_Runner.png
215px-Hired_Smuggler.png
215px-Burn.png
215px-Violent_Dispersal.png

Dust Runner : Early presence and being able to snipe 3hp units
Hired Smuggler : Early presence and the sweet sweet draw
Burn : No energy deck ever would be without this
Violent Dispersal : Violent Removal, though actually on the fence about this, I think I'd prefer Automata Forge, but couldn't make up my mind.

Decay :
215px-Harvester.png
215px-Ilmire_Rot_Eater.png
215px-Soul_Steal.png
215px-Necrogeddon.png

Harvester : Probably my favourite unit, just scary
Rot Eater : Left unchecked, this beast will just grow and grow
Soul Steal : For killing Kinfolk Braves, Aging Knights, Dust Runners and Hired Smugglers
Necrogeddon : Wins you games.

mercviper

Been playing a lot of judgement and having tons of fun, records so far are 1W, 3W, 5W, 4W, 1W

Huge misplays on that last run on a deck I was confident would get me 4+, like starting with generating my secondary resource, but oh well.

If there's any tip I can give for judgement, it's to never consider running anything in your secondary color that's 4+ resources. It'll never get played. Also, anything you splash should be pretty solid in that it nets an immediate or near immediate effect for you to want to play it over something in your primary color.

yasu151

Thanks for the deck recommendations SquiddyCracker! Some of the scrolls are a tad expensive, though it provides focus in saving gold. Bit by bit I'm gettin there; I have about 38 of the 50 cards. I can't stop playing this game.

rusticdog

Neo Member
Thanks for the deck recommendations SquiddyCracker! Some of the scrolls are a tad expensive, though it provides focus in saving gold. Bit by bit I'm gettin there; I have about 38 of the 50 cards. I can't stop playing this game.

If it helps, the player danatron1 maintains 4 cheap decks, all I think built on a budget of 4000g
http://scrolldier.com/decks/1/cheap/order/energy/growth/decay/wild/c/

A handful of Scrolls have had their Xmas makeover, easily my favourite

4WVcIx3.gif

thisbeard

Just installed the game and ran through each tutorial. I also played a few skirmishes against easy AI to learn my Growth deck. Diggin' it so far, without a doubt. Spent some gold (currency acquired in game) and I'm looking forward to editing my deck with new Scrolls but haven't messed around with the deck builder much yet. Having the award system give you gold as you reach certain milestones is awesome. I like that these aren't hidden, either. I hope the game grows in userbase and popularity because there are good ideas here and a stellar team with which to pull them off. Anyone interested in adding me my username is: thisbeard.

Wok

Existing customers will be given the $20 shard package at no additional cost.

I have been looking all over the Internet to figure out why I had a bunch of shards. Now, I know. Thanks for the OT.

Top Bottom