• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves now available for pre-order on PlayStation 5

Ozriel

M$FT
The first few hours playing this on Xbox was extremely rough and boring. Do I need to give it more of a shot? When does the fun get good?

It’s a massively different experience from launch. ‘rough’ hasn’t described this game for years now.

The experience is much better if you have friends…

No one buys it, I bet.

PlayStation gamers would have to have dramatically different purchasing habits from other platforms for this to be a reality.

I suspect you’ll be gravely disappointed.

daTRUballin

GAF has a bad track record predicting what will or won’t sell (see the Switch).
Back in 2017, GAF also predicted Skull & Bones would crush Sea of Thieves and cause the death of Rare.

No, I'm not joking.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Back in 2017, GAF also predicted Skull & Bones would crush Sea of Thieves and cause the death of Rare.

No, I'm not joking.

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Can't believe this is actually coming to PlayStation as I've always wanted to play this with the kids, you think I can get away with a single purchase on mine and just load it up on the other 2 consoles?

Jaybe

I might buy it during a future promo for around 20€. As a solo player not sure if im gonna enjoy it, but would be worth it just for sailing around as the water look gorgeous in this game.
It’s not a good game as a solo player unfortunately

SJRB

Gold Member

No, I'm not joking.

In fairness the 2017 sales pitch for Skull and Bones is vastly different from the turd we got two weeks ago.

Havoc2049

Does this have couch co op I can do with my son?

I only ever played the game solo on PC gamepass.
I play with my daughter in the same household. She plays on my old One X and I play on my Series X. If you have a PC and PS5, you could play together that way. You would just need to buy a copy for the PS5.

Topher

Gold Member

No, I'm not joking.

Yeah, I see a number "RIP Sea of Thieves" posts there. I also see a ton of comments in that thread suggesting that the two look so different that they will not even compete with each other.

So what was it that "GAF" predicted again? You are pointing to a thread where "GAF" seems to disagree more than they agree. Par for the course I'd say.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not a good game as a solo player unfortunately

When was the last time you played it? I ask because I came across an article saying Rare had were adding a single player mode late last year. That brought the game back on my radar a bit, but am curious if you have played it recently and, if so, why is it still not good as a single player game?

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
PS5 owners are in for a treat; game is a world of fun. Technically, it should also run on the PS4...

daTRUballin

Yeah, I see a number "RIP Sea of Thieves" posts there. I also see a ton of comments in that thread suggesting that the two look so different that they will not even compete with each other.

So what was it that "GAF" predicted again? You are pointing to a thread where "GAF" seems to disagree more than they agree. Par for the course I'd say.
Well obviously, I didn't mean that the ENTIRE forum thought S&B would kill SoT. It's just amusing to look back and see how many people were wrong about the game tanking and taking down Rare with it.

Many people were predicting the game's failure up until release. I'm not sure many thought the game would still be alive and kicking 6 years later and be one of Microsoft's biggest new IPs.

Topher

Gold Member
Well obviously, I didn't mean that the ENTIRE forum thought S&B would kill SoT. It's just amusing to look back and see how many people were wrong about the game tanking and taking down Rare with it.

Many people were predicting the game's failure up until release. I'm not sure many thought the game would still be alive and kicking 6 years later and be one of Microsoft's biggest new IPs.

That's fair. But in their defense, Sea of Thieves didn't have much going for it early on. It's to Rare (and MS) credit that they stuck with it so long and improved the experience. Somehow I doubt Ubisoft will do the same, but hope I'm wrong.

ManaByte

Gold Member
When was the last time you played it? I ask because I came across an article saying Rare had were adding a single player mode late last year. That brought the game back on my radar a bit, but am curious if you have played it recently and, if so, why is it still not good as a single player game?

It's not a single player mode. It's a nerfed private instance where you can hang out with friends, but you really can't progress in the game in that mode.

I have over 700 hours in Sea of Thieves and probably about 85% of that is solo. People claiming it's not fun solo don't know what they're talking about.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not a single player mode. It's a nerfed private instance where you can hang out with friends, but you really can't progress in the game in that mode.

Good to know

I have over 700 hours in Sea of Thieves and probably about 85% of that is solo. People claiming it's not fun solo don't know what they're talking about.

Or they simply have a different opinion. All your hours make you well-informed but they don't change your personal take on the game into facts. Amazing I have to point that out.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This game has been in the Xbox discount bin forever lol

No it hasn't. It launched at $40 and on Game Pass. It goes on sale on both Xbox and Steam often for $20 but it's never been in the "discount bin". There are over 30 million people playing it on PC and Xbox and even more will be once it's on PS5. It's Rare's most successful game ever, but some people have used it as fodder in console wars since its release.

Havoc2049

Good to know

Or they simply have a different opinion. All your hours make you well-informed but they don't change your personal take on the game into facts. Amazing I have to point that out.
Most of these "SoT sucks solo" are by console warrior trolls or people who played SoT one time, got sunk and gave up. Just like that Skull and Bones thread posted earlier, ton of bad takes. SoT can be great solo and many people find the challenge of solo slopping to be extremely challenging and fun. 95% of the game can be completed solo. I have over 3000 hours in SoT, about 1/3 of the time sailing solo.

Topher

Gold Member
Most of these "SoT sucks solo" are by console warrior trolls or people who played SoT one time, got sunk and gave up. Just like that Skull and Bones thread posted earlier, ton of bad takes. SoT can be great solo and many people find the challenge of solo slopping to be extremely challenging and fun. 95% of the game can be completed solo. I have over 3000 hours in SoT, about 1/3 of the time sailing solo.

I get that first party games are going to attract those kind of posts. All first party games do. At the same time, not everyone who simply doesn't like the game is a warrior or "wrong".

ManaByte

Gold Member

People like dying 10,000 times to a boss in Elden Ring and call it the greatest game ever made. They get sunk once in Sea of Thieves and shitpost it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I kinda just wanna buy this to see the water effects

I remember even at its initial launch the water looked fuckin sick

reinking

Gold Member
TDIL I am a console warrior/troll because I did not like playing solo in SoT. Glad you liked it but calling people console warriors for not liking solo in a game that the devs have repeatedly said was designed around multiplayer/pvp is silly. The water and sailing are top notch but the game just never grabbed me. Especially as a solo player.

Chronicle

GAF has a bad track record predicting what will or won’t sell (see the Switch).
Says who? This w
It’s a massively different experience from launch. ‘rough’ hasn’t described this game for years now.

The experience is much better if you have friends…

PlayStation gamers would have to have dramatically different purchasing habits from other platforms for this to be a reality.

I suspect you’ll be gravely disappointed.
Nah. No one will buy it. It's not a heavy hitter like they would have us believe. Give us the goods Microsoft. No one cares about this bullshit. Halo or gears or fuck off.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah. No one will buy it. It's not a heavy hitter like they would have us believe. Give us the goods Microsoft. No one cares about this bullshit. Halo or gears or fuck off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does really well, honestly. The game has very positive reviews on Steam. Quite a big difference from the reception it received at launch.

reinking

Gold Member

I could not remember what it was about the Safer Seas mode that did not draw me back to giving SoT another shot so I did a little looking into it. Here is a decent write up by someone on reddit that sums up the experience with that mode. I know it is Rare's game and they can create their vision. I just do not understand why a simple PVP flag would not have been a better solution. Even if they wanted to give PVP players a boost there are plenty of examples about how that can be implemented in a positive way instead of punishing PVE players to a point where the mode feels like wasted time. Again, Rare's vision about what they want and I am not saying they are wrong. It is not what I wanted as someone who mostly wants to play PVE.

TLDR: It is not for me even though I like pirate themed games. :)

Last edited:
Game is a very fun time with a buddy or 3. Learning to properly sail your ship and fight along with competing with others for treasure is really cool. The water effects too are stunning. Been a while since I played it, but I wouldn't hesitate to jump in with my Pops if we had nothing else to play. Being crossplay is a great move and opening up that player pool to more players is really how it should be. Looking forward to seeing impressions from those that never touched it.

daTRUballin

No it hasn't. It launched at $40 and on Game Pass. It goes on sale on both Xbox and Steam often for $20 but it's never been in the "discount bin". There are over 30 million people playing it on PC and Xbox and even more will be once it's on PS5. It's Rare's most successful game ever, but some people have used it as fodder in console wars since its release.
Exclusives are always used as fodder in console war discussions. That's just the way of things unfortunately.

Poor Rare. They can never win with anybody. They faced a lot of hate from Nintendo fans because of their "betrayal" and they're constantly stuck in the middle between bickering Sony and Xbox fans lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they got hate from Sega and Sony fans back when they were a Nintendo developer too.

T-0800

95% of the time in this game nothing is really going on. Just enjoying the scenery and the other 5% is sheer terror and panic as you see another ship coming your way and I love it. I will be buying this for sure on my PS5.

Last edited:

Tangerine

You can play solo. It's better with and made more for multilayer though.

You can solo sloop (smallest vessel) but it's tougher.

It's a very fun game if you stick with it. Some sessions go better than others with It's emergent gameplay, random spawns of a number of sea hazards shall we say. Obviously other players on other ships can give you a hard time but more often than not they ate busy doing a specific quest.

There is so much to do in the game now it's actually a tad daughting. But just start with what is easy. You don't have to fly an emesery flag as that puts you on the map visible to other players.

I just started off after tutorial doing quests you buy from NPCs. Specifically the gold horders. That seems the easiest in my opinion but not necessarily the quickest. If you want to fight skeletons do a quest purchased from the order of souls npc. That may be on average the quicker one. If it's on land the ebenmy skeletons. On sea is harder.

I've spent hundreds of hours playing and highly reccomend it. The sea battles are what makes it best I reckon. Running around like a mad man patching up the ship and putting out fires, firing the cannon and getting hits is very satisfying.

Run around and stock up on things in barrels on every outpost where you will spawn. Multiple trips back and forth to your ship as you get full quick, offloading what you pick up into the 3 corresponding barrels on your ship. There's one for food, one for cannibals and other weapons and one for planks of wood.

Keep an eye on the horizon! Watch out for other players boats. Assume everyone is hostile! Good luck and hope you guys enjoy the game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
95% of the time in this game nothing is really going on. Just enjoying the scenery and the other 5% is sheer terror and panic as you see another ship coming your way and I love it. I will be buying this for sure on my PS5.
It’s the same risk vs reward you get in a Souls game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Sea of Thieves is now available for pre-order on PS5!

There are three editions:

Standard edition for $39.99
Deluxe edition for $49.99
Premium edition for $59.99
Pre-Order gets you:
• Ruby Viper Weapon Set
• Scarlet Storm Parakeet
• Parakeet Kraken Outfit
• Parakeet Sea Dog Outfit

Deluxe has:
• Closed Beta access ahead of launch

Premium has:
• Season 12 Plunder Pass ($10 separately)
• 5 Days Early Access

Honestly I'd go for the Premium.

Why would you go for Premium if it has only $10 worth of additional content over Standard but costs $20 more? That makes very little sense.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Huh?

From your original post:

Premium has:
• Season 12 Plunder Pass ($10 separately)
• 5 Days Early Access

I only see $10.
Maybe read the rest of the thread? I broke it down after the original post. There’s more than that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I get that first party games are going to attract those kind of posts. All first party games do. At the same time, not everyone who simply doesn't like the game is a warrior or "wrong".
Yep. Sometimes, the game just isn't inline with a gamer's preference.

Otherwise, anybody who disses Destruction All Stars will be a console warrior 😛

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep. Sometimes, the game just isn't inline with a gamer's preference.

Otherwise, anybody who disses Destruction All Stars will be a console warrior 😛

Opinions from people who’ve actually played the game are welcome.

Ah... you missed the conversation. I meant it will be a disappointment on ps5.

I think you’re probably the one in line for disappointment. Preorders are looking quite good already

https://x.com/benjisales/status/1766702071892320619

QRJKRu3.jpg

Says who? This w

Nah. No one will buy it. It's not a heavy hitter like they would have us believe. Give us the goods Microsoft. No one cares about this bullshit.

Ironically, Sea of Thieves on Steam alone has sold more copies than FF7 Remake on all platforms. Not exactly ‘niche’ performance.

It’s resonated much better with the market than the last 2 Gears games, so you’re clearly not informed about ‘the goods’ these days.

Last edited:

Chronicle

I think you’re probably the one in line for disappointment. Preorders are looking quite good already

QRJKRu3.jpg

Ironically, Sea of Thieves on Steam alone has sold more copies than FF7 Remake on all platforms. Not exactly ‘niche’ performance.

It’s resonated much better with the market than the last 2 Gears games, so you’re clearly not informed about ‘the goods’ these days.
Cool

ManaByte

Gold Member

QRJKRu3.jpg

Will Forte Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

Topher

Gold Member

QRJKRu3.jpg

Proves that the average gamer doesn't give a shit about who the publisher is as long as they think it is a good game.

Top Bottom