• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate launches 4TB hard drive for the PlayStation 4

Shin

Banned
Seagate has doubled the capacity of its latest hard drive and is announcing a 4 terabyte drive for the Sony PlayStation 4.

The Seagate Game Drive can store more than 100 games. Available today, it sells at retail for $130. The external storage device has about eight times the 500GB drive that comes with a PS4.

The Game Drive's USB 3.0 connection has high speed and is compatible with any generation of PS4 (System Software version 4.50 or higher). It runs off USB power, so you don't need an extra plug.

seagate.jpg

Credit and source: Venturebeat and Seagate official website

Lister

Banned
I can't imagine that Sony branding doing anything other than making it more expensive than it would normally be.

Can't find any specs on the drives either.

So I can get this for $130 (assuming it's the same price as the Xbox One version), an unbranded Seagate one for $105, or a 5TB drive for $140.

Gee, that's such a touch choice.

So I can get this for $130 (assuming it's the same price as the Xbox One version), an unbranded Seagate one for $105, or a 5TB drive for $140.

My thoughts exactly. This is clearly marketed at not so computer savvy people, who think that you need some special sony brand harddrives for it to work.

radewagon

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of these. They could have at least made the case look like a tiny PS4. Or better yet, a tiny PSOne. That would have been worth the markup, I think.

trikster40

My 2tb SSD is working fine. Glad to see they’ve got a larger drive coming, may pick this up for backup capabilities.

I still always go physical for the big releases, but the install sizes of physical games these days takes up so much HD space, i might as well go digital!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, I have trouble reaching half way on my 1TB Pro internal drive .. I can't believe people keep this much content on their devices at one time.

MoogleMan

I (finally) just put a 2tb firecuda sshd in my launch ps4. I was actually thinking of getting an external, but no rear usb port on the ps4 kills it for me.

PantsuJo

I recently bought a Maxtor 1 TB hard drive (USB 3.0, without external power supply) but, when I connected it to the console, PS4 shows me that it was a Seagate disk, in fact. I dindn't know.

I had trouble formatting and setting it as application install disk; the only way to make it works was format the disk on PC (exFAT), then connect to PS4 *only* at system off.
Power on the system and then formatting/setting, finally.

The first 5 tries were failure, I was pretty desperate LOL
I didn't remember having so much trouble with Seagate disk during the years, at least on PC but this is the last time I bought blindly a disk without knowing its manufacturer.

Hairsplash

what is the idle power for this 4TB drive. and is it guaranteed to work when the ps4 is in rest mode?...

because....

using a 3.0 to sata cable and the rear usb port on a ps4pro were dissatisfying...

using a ‘custom” cable that supplies 5v and 12v to the 3.5 HDD, and using a usb 3.0 to sata cable uses 4.4 watts.

whereas using a startech.com HDD dock uses 6 watts...

the playstation is really flaky when it comes to external HDD’s...

(it may have been because i was only supplying 12 v to the HDD, and using 5v from the ps4pro... i might have fixed it by also supplying 5v also and not using any power from the ps4pro (just tied to grounds together, and used data... but have not tested that)

in any case, maybe the ps4 os5 has fixed the problems... (i have not had any success at using my DIY cable to replace the internal drive... perhaps, when i get enough curiosity going i will try it with the 5 and 12 v cable i made... the problem is that sometimes the drive gets corrupted, and you have to either repair the database, or reinstall everything... )
on the todo list... well, right now i am using a samsung EVO 1TB ssd internal, and a 2TB red HDD in a HDD dock...

PantsuJo

Man, I have trouble reaching half way on my 1TB Pro internal drive .. I can't believe people keep this much content on their devices at one time.

Some games can be pretty huge, considering install size + update(s) size.

For example, Bethesda games: 50 GB as average size but some games are freaking huge (80 GB for Doom, with patches installed, if I remember right)

JP

It's weird that they've listed this and the Xbox branded version as Exclusively for Xbox and Exclusively for PlayStation. This version isn't even branded as a PlayStation hard drive in the way that the Xbox version is, it's just blue and black.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them doing that and I suppose that when people who don't really know about this stuff search for Xbox One/PlayStation 4 Hard Drive then I suppose they're going to show up in their search results.

Dabanton

If you have a Pro or are getting a XB1X getting another HD at some point is paramount.

I just got a 4tb WD Drive this week and moved the entirety of my Xbox to it in prep for the new Xbox and stuff like 4K assets.

My Pro luckily isn’t anywhere full yet.

Top Bottom