• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seasonal Rewards, Time Sensitive Events, and Exclusive Content are the Absolute Worst.

levyjl1988

Banned
Every game seems to have them now and it's sickening.
GTA V Online, ARMS, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Destiny 2, Splatoon 2, etc.

For completionists looking to 100% the game by collecting everything, you can't.

"No amount of time, effort, skill, RNG, or money can get you the gear you want once you miss out on a time-sensitive seasonal event".

It PUNISHES latecomers, players who have a busy real life schedule, don't have time because of real life obligations to fulfill this GRINDY menial task driven portion of a game.

Worst is they continue to add more and more, eventually people who were once collecting them suddenly stop. They stop playing the game because their collection is impossible to complete. It's like being given a checklist for you to finish collecting and they straight up ruin your list making it impossible, so why even bother anymore.
Imagine a gamer who completes every season, suddenly they miss two seasons in a row, they come back disheartened that they can never acquire those cool wings, or skins, or badge, or gun, or gear, or visual aesthetic.

"It adds nothing to gamers but regret, distaste, and want to play other games that value their time".

Games with seasons don't feel complete and more of a damn service than a complete product.
Imagine if Dark Souls locked content with exclusive weapons or armor behind a time sensitive date for players to play, or Super Mario Odyssey locked Mario costumes, or Legend of Zelda Breathe of the Wild (sure there are amiibos, but it's easy to acquire those through NFC cards and amiibo, making it still possible to acquire AT YOUR OWN TIME) made classic costumes time sensative for players who bought the game for the first week.

"Time-sensitive events and seasons FORCE players to play games, not on their time if they want to acquire those cool, items. There is no quality of life to this and makes gamers stressed with an approaching deadline. It's not just casual fun, it feels like a damn chore."

Like that GTA V decal on that shirt, well you can't unlock it unless you logged in the game during this event.
Want to get that Kerrigan Skin for Widowmaker in Overwatch, well Blizzard says, "Fuck you".
A new player sees a random guardian stranger and asks, "Where did you get that cool armor?", the guardian replies, "well, if you didn't play season 3 you can't get it anymore".
This adds nothing to the game. It could have been, "You can unlock it by completing this task, I'll help you out".

Seasonal rewards, time-sensitive events, and exclusive content are the worst. It's just up as up there next to retail exclusive bonuses.
Publishers don't want your money when you want to buy their preorder DLC, developers want you to feel the seething regret that you can never acquire these items. They want to push players away from their games.
This is developers saying, you missed out, well too bad, fuck you to the players. miss out, well too fucking bad.

Vote with your money and support good game practices.
Support games like: The Witcher 3, Dark Souls, etc, complete titles where they don't pull this shit on you. You can acquire whatever you can at your leisure.

For completionist and collector's, nothing hurts players more than knowing that there is content you missed out and nothing can make you go back in time to acquire it ever again. unless developers tend to rotate the rewards per cycle, but they usually don't. They say Fuck you to the player.

Miss out on Gravity Rush's 2 White Kat Costume for not preordering the game, well you can't buy it on PSN. Publisher's don't want your money now.

Miss out on getting the preorder bonus for Jump Force, well you can't buy it now, fuck you.

Miss out on Sunset Overdrive's weapons and visual aesthethic gear, Fuck you for not buying the game at launch.

Missed out on Secret of Mana preorder bonus, fuck you.

That's essentially what developers are saying to the player, fuck you.

93xfan

Banned
I think they’re fantastic. Totally freed up my time once it helped ruin Destiny 2 for me.

Mr Hyde

I agree with everything you say. That´s why I tend to avoid most of these games with these kinda elements in them. Only game with this design so far that has me hooked is Warframe, and it´s littered with content that comes and go at specific days and times. They just introduced Nightwave recently, a seasonal event where you unlock time-limited exclusive content. And that replaced Alerts, which was also time-limited events. I don´t know if you really can unlock everything in the end, but seeing how they introduced this I doubt it. Best course of action is to just let it go and I do what I can do when I can do it. I would go nuts if I started to worry about how to acquire everything that´s in the game. At least the game is free to play and extremely fun, so that´s a small comfort.

For completionists looking to 100% the game by collecting everything, you can't.

"No amount of time, effort, skill, RNG, or money can get you the gear you want once you miss out on a time-sensitive seasonal event".

It PUNISHES latecomers, players who have a busy real life schedule, don't have time because of real life obligations to fulfill this GRINDY menial task driven portion of a game.

Worst is they continue to add more and more, eventually people who were once collecting them suddenly stop. They stop playing the game because their collection is impossible to complete. It's like being given a checklist for you to finish collecting and they straight up ruin your list making it impossible, so why even bother anymore.
Imagine a gamer who completes every season, suddenly they miss two seasons in a row, they come back disheartened that they can never acquire those cool wings, or skins, or badge, or gun, or gear, or visual aesthetic.

"It adds nothing to gamers but regret, distaste, and want to play other games that value their time".

Games with seasons don't feel complete and more of a damn service than a complete product.
Imagine if Dark Souls locked content with exclusive weapons or armor behind a time sensitive date for players to play, or Super Mario Odyssey locked Mario costumes, or Legend of Zelda Breathe of the Wild (sure there are amiibos, but it's easy to acquire those through NFC cards and amiibo, making it still possible to acquire AT YOUR OWN TIME) made classic costumes time sensative for players who bought the game for the first week.

"Time-sensitive events and seasons FORCE players to play games, not on their time if they want to acquire those cool, items. There is no quality of life to this and makes gamers stressed with an approaching deadline. It's not just casual fun, it feels like a damn chore."

Like that GTA V decal on that shirt, well you can't unlock it unless you logged in the game during this event.
Want to get that Kerrigan Skin for Widowmaker in Overwatch, well Blizzard says, "Fuck you".
A new player sees a random guardian stranger and asks, "Where did you get that cool armor?", the guardian replies, "well, if you didn't play season 3 you can't get it anymore".
This adds nothing to the game. It could have been, "You can unlock it by completing this task, I'll help you out".

Seasonal rewards, time-sensitive events, and exclusive content are the worst. It's just up as up there next to retail exclusive bonuses.
Publishers don't want your money when you want to buy their preorder DLC, developers want you to feel the seething regret that you can never acquire these items. They want to push players away from their games.
This is developers saying, you missed out, well too bad, fuck you to the players. miss out, well too fucking bad.

Support games like: The Witcher 3, Dark Souls, etc, complete titles where they don't pull this shit on you. You can acquire whatever you can at your leisure.

For completionist and collector's, nothing hurts players more than knowing that there is content you missed out and nothing can make you go back in time to acquire it ever again. unless developers tend to rotate the rewards per cycle, but they usually don't. They say Fuck you to the player.

Miss out on Gravity Rush's 2 White Kat Costume for not preordering the game, well you can't buy it on PSN. Publisher's don't want your money now.

Miss out on getting the preorder bonus for Jump Force, well you can't buy it now, fuck you.

Miss out on Sunset Overdrive's weapons and visual aesthethic gear, Fuck you for not buying the game at launch.

giphy.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The practice of selling games that in themselves aren't complete products is the absolute worst. Agree with everything you said. Do we still really have preorder DLC? In current year? I shouldn't be surprised. Agh, I think industry practices have annoyed me so much I've foregone bothering to even look at most AAA games

Last edited:

The Skull

As an avid Overwatch player I agree. The year of the pig event I managed to get all but 1 skin through grinding and man that was tough.

Top Bottom