• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Yeah I bought in Shoreline 12 blocks from the Seattle city line in 2008; had a dip after that where the value dumped like 20% but then it's gone back up.

We're in the Green Lake Urban Village area and just on the other side of I-5 from Roosevelt. The amount of growth and new development in the last 8 years has been absolutely insane. Kinda sad to know that if we ever sell our house, it will likely be torn down to build townhouses.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Loving Seattle so far. Great weather yesterday. Did brunch at Space Needle which was delicious and then went the Chihuly Gardens, which was fantastic.

Funny as well, we went to the EMP, which I thought would be right up my alley, but I didn't end up caring for it much.

riotous

Banned
Umm... all of Capitol Hill and more (30k customers) had zero service for over 12 hours.

It was a major fiber trunk severed by some idiotic construction company.

It's a huge fluke, and really should never happen. Does not justify building redundant fiber trunks to 30k customers.

Trouble

Banned
It was a major fiber trunk severed by some idiotic construction company.

It's a huge fluke, and really should never happen. Does not justify building redundant fiber trunks to 30k customers.

Fiber cuts happen all the time, especially when there is construction in the area. The company I worked for 5 years ago had it happen 3 times in one year. Luckily we had 2 lines physically leaving the building in different places, to prevent just such occurrences from bringing us down.

It's less about redundancy through that one point of failure (you just end up with two cut lines) rather than not having a single point of failure. The fact that a densely populated area is all routed through a single point with no crossover with their neighboring backbones is a lazy cost cutting measure. A company that makes such obscene amounts of money as Comcast can and should do a better job of investing in their infrastructure.

riotous

Banned
You are talking about a single fiber line; this was a fiber trunk. Totally different situations. It's unlikely unless you work at Fisher Plaza or something that you have 2 fiber trunks going into your building.

They repaired parts of the bundle and people's service was gradually restored. Because it's not "one line" serving 30k people; but at some point the lines serving those 30k people are bundled into a trunk line.

And no, fiber trunks aren't severed "all the time."

Trouble

Banned
A trunk is just a bundle of aggregated fiber. I don't really differentiate, it's a single physical point to point connection. That's the point I was trying to make when using the term 'line'. You don't hear about it most of the time that a line or trunk is cut or goes down from equipment failure because most network providers have more than a single route and the traffic will reroute over another connection.

Anyways, I'm tired of talking about Comcast.

At least you managed to avoid that shithole that houses Nike U.

Hey! My cousin lives in Eugene.

I have no strong opinion one way or the other about the town.

riotous

Banned
Anyways, I'm tired of talking about Comcast.

lol, we can agree on this ;)

Probably driving down to Oregon this summer. My wife's cousin is married to a guy whose family has a big house near Gresham that they use as a compound of sorts for the whole extended family. Big property with ATV's, and they have boats and trucks available to drive the boats places, jet skis, etc. It's a good time, and about as cheap as a vacation can get.

Going to Maui in July, that won't be so cheap..

Been looking at houses/townhomes and our budget is around 550 maxing out at 600.
Tough to find something in that range and for what we want :(

550-600k? Where at specifically? Unless you're looking for a big backyard and a massive garage, you can find something, they just don't last long. Friends of ours just bought a home in West Seattle right off the Junction for somewhere in that range.

mYm|17|

550-600k? Where at specifically? Unless you're looking for a big backyard and a massive garage, you can find something, they just don't last long. Friends of ours just bought a home in West Seattle right off the Junction for somewhere in that range.

Yeap 550 is really where we wanna stay at, but we'll go up towards 600 if it's that awesome and we absolutely have to have it. We were hoping to stay ballard/fremont/wallingford/greenlake area and we don't need a big backyard or massive garage.

West Seattle has so many homes for sale right now, but I don't know if I could live over there. I was there for a few months last year living with my sister near Alki and it was cool for awhile, but trying to get back into downtown and such is a pain.

Yeap 550 is really where we wanna stay at, but we'll go up towards 600 if it's that awesome and we absolutely have to have it. We were hoping to stay ballard/fremont/wallingford/greenlake area and we don't need a big backyard or massive garage.

West Seattle has so many homes for sale right now, but I don't know if I could live over there. I was there for a few months last year living with my sister near Alki and it was cool for awhile, but trying to get back into downtown and such is a pain.

We're in Green Lake so I totally understand. If we ever sold our house the area we'd be looking in is very specific (Green Lake, Tangletown, Wallingford, Phinney).

dLMN8R

If you aren't already, I'd highly recommend checking out Redfin and use their search. Also use them as your agent.

My wife and I used Redfin for the entire process and it was a better experience buying a home than I could have ever dreamed of.

They'll also assign you an agent to help you find something that meets your requirements when you call them.

We have very good friends who are fantastic realtors who aren't in it for just a commission. If it's not a good fit, they won't push. Let me know if you want a referral.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Can anyone vouch for some of the small bbq joints in the area? Barbecue Pit in the central district sounds very legit, but I'm worried about their 7pm closing time; since we can't get there til around 6, all the good stuff might be sold out.

Chichikov

Can anyone vouch for some of the small bbq joints in the area? Barbecue Pit in the central district sounds very legit, but I'm worried about their 7pm closing time; since we can't get there til around 6, all the good stuff might be sold out.
I like R&L in the CD (it's Yesler between 18th and 19th) they close at 8pm, but I don't remember them running out of things. Super nice people too.

BBQ pit is legit, I miss living a walking distance from those places.
Fuck, I just generally miss the CD, nothing beat drinking in Twilight Exit's patio in the summer, then jumping across the street to the BBQ pit (I always felt bad for not eating at Twilight Exit, it's a nice place I'd like to support and their food is actually quite nice for a dive bar, but damn, I'm only human. I try to make it up with alcohol).

cdyhybrid

I like R&L in the CD (it's Yesler between 18th and 19th) they close at 8pm, but I don't remember them running out of things. Super nice people too.

BBQ pit is legit, I miss living a walking distance from those places.
Fuck, I just generally miss the CD, nothing beat drinking in Twilight Exit's patio in the summer, then jumping across the street to the BBQ pit (I always felt bad for not eating at Twilight Exit, it's a nice place I'd like to support and their food is actually quite nice for a dive bar, but damn, I'm only human. I try to make it up with alcohol).

They probably make a better profit on the drinks anyway! Most places do, at least.

I enjoy Bourbon and Bones on Leary, but being able to walk there and waddle home is a plus

dekjo

I just started getting my BBQ from Jack's in the SoDo neighborhood: http://www.jacksbbq.com/

Best BBQ in Seattle, in my opinion. Was going to RoRo's before finding Jack's. If you like BBQ, but haven't tried it, I'd recommend trying Jack's at least once.

mYm|17|

I like Bitterroot in Ballard.

Their happy hour menu is a pretty good deal and their food is good in general

I just started getting my BBQ from Jack's in the SoDo neighborhood: http://www.jacksbbq.com/

Best BBQ in Seattle, in my opinion. Was going to RoRo's before finding Jack's. If you like BBQ, but haven't tried it, I'd recommend trying Jack's at least once.

I was there a few weeks ago, their brisket was pretty delicious

Brakke

Banned
Yeah Bitterroot is aight. That place is like... too nice or something though. I want my BBQ sloppy. A bit up the street from Bitterroot is The Boar's Nest which I like. Best place is that parking lot joint near Mother's in Wallingford.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Definitely going to try a few of these bbq places in the coming months. Been to Bitterroot a few times before and my opinion of their food drops with each visit. Have been interested in Bourbon & Bones for a while, but it's kind of the antithesis of what I want these days (ie a little too fancy, artisinal and overpriced)

Definitely going to try a few of these bbq places in the coming months. Been to Bitterroot a few times before and my opinion of their food drops with each visit. Have been interested in Bourbon & Bones for a while, but it's kind of the antithesis of what I want these days (ie a little too fancy, artisinal and overpriced)

A new place opened up just south of it on Leary called Drunky's BBQ. I haven't tried it yet, but based on the name, probably a bit less fancy

Chichikov

Since we're talking about BBQ places, got to give a shoutout to Rainer BBQ, yeah, it's not really a BBQ (and it's not on Rainer either, damn, that place is nothing but lies) but it's legit as fuck.

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard about this while driving to work.

I'm actually looking foward to a season 5, whenever they get to it.

Ramen Man is in flux at the moment, we've had about 7 people give their two weeks/fired within the past month and a half. I'm still in the kitchen on some nights but front of house service is a work in progress. Please Understand.

mYm|17|

My weekly morning walk with my wife and daughter to the University Farmers Market tomorrow should be fantastic.

I've never been to the University Farmers Market. How is that one compare to Ballard Sunday Farmers Market?

Also, I tried to go to Morsel like two weekends ago, gotdamn was the line long.

I've never been to the University Farmers Market. How is that one compare to Ballard Sunday Farmers Market?

Also, I tried to go to Morsel like two weekends ago, gotdamn was the line long.

Best farmers market in the state, we've been going every Saturday for eight years now. Focus on produce/food only. And there's a couple breweries normally (Propolis and Lower Case).

dLMN8R

I'm actually looking foward to a season 5, whenever they get to it.

Ramen Man is in flux at the moment, we've had about 7 people give their two weeks/fired within the past month and a half. I'm still in the kitchen on some nights but front of house service is a work in progress. Please Understand.

You guys doing OK overall? Seems like I always see a large crowd there, sometimes even waiting outside. Hope that's a good sign :)

Another note: Way down 45th close t I-5, Mr Gyro just opened up and it's GLORIOUS. Absurdly delicious, great prices, can't complain at all. And they've been totally packed since they opened on Tuesday, which is hopefully a good sign!

dLMN8R

Best farmers market in the state, we've been going every Saturday for eight years now. Focus on produce/food only. And there's a couple breweries normally (Propolis and Lower Case).

Yep, agreed! Compared to the Capitol Hill farmers market, it's huge and has so many better options. Compared to Ballard it's pretty cheap (yes, most of the vendors jack their prices in Ballard).

Also, it's pretty easy to get free parking there!

University Farmers Market is a near-weekly stop for me.

mYm|17|

You guys doing OK overall? Seems like I always see a large crowd there, sometimes even waiting outside. Hope that's a good sign :)

Another note: Way down 45th close t I-5, Mr Gyro just opened up and it's GLORIOUS. Absurdly delicious, great prices, can't complain at all. And they've been totally packed since they opened on Tuesday, which is hopefully a good sign!

I go to the Mr. Gyros in Ballard. So nice to walk a few blocks to get some delicious Mediterranean food

Phthisis

The best two Mediterranean places in the area, for my money, are Plaka Estiatorio in Ballard and Mediterranean Kitchen in Bellevue/Kirkland.

I also just discovered Mykonos in Green Lake a couple weeks ago:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mykonos-greek-grill-seattle

Absolutely wonderful food, great staff.

Nice to find out about two new Mediterranean places in two weeks! Almost makes me get over my sadness at leaving Padria over in Kirkland!

almost

Hey, that's a few blocks from my house! We went to Mykonos back when they first opened. Good stuff but haven't been back since.

There will always be a soft spot for Takis in Crown Hill. Used to live down the street from there years ago. Zaina off Lake City Way in Maple Leaf is where we normally get our fix now.

cdyhybrid

Great day planned tomorrow. Throwing the football out in the sun, BBQing at a friend's place, then heading to Foundation to see Madeon :D

Top Bottom