• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle: Sikh man shot, allegedly told to "Go back to your own country"

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's good to recognize that Sikhs are not Muslim, I think we should also stress that attacking Muslims is not okay either...

In events like this, I often see the sentiment that "It's terrible because he wasn't a Muslim," which has unfortunate implications.

I don't see that at all. The point is these dumb-asses can't even get right the object of their hate.

It is a given in this discussion, especially on a board like neogaf, that hate crimes are wrong regardless of background.

Erase the stigma of being openly racist, which is what Trumps victory has done, and more rot seeps out of the woodwork.
At least this man survived and will make a full recovery, but the criminal likely succeeded in terrorizing the community.

entremet

Damn.

Hope he pulls through.

So is this hillbilly Seattle? I thought it was rather liberal and welcoming--it's a sanctuary city.

Atenhaus

Damn.

Hope he pulls through.

So is this hillbilly Seattle? I thought it was rather liberal and welcoming--it's a sanctuary city.

No. This happened in one of the most multicultural towns in the country. The local response has been filled with overwhelming outrage.

RinsFury

Hate crimes have fucking surged since Trump was elected. White supremacists, bigots, nazis and the rest of the dregs of society that make up his base have been emboldened to new levels not seen in over fifty years at least. It's overwhelming how freely the hate flows in this country now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Damn.

Hope he pulls through.

It's also not Seattle. It's Kent. A small city outside of Seattle and still a perfectly nice place. Nowhere is immune to fuckery and guns.

No. This happened in one of the most multicultural towns in the country. The local response has been filled with overwhelming outrage.

Maybe Kent has changed in the past few years but in the past that town always felt like it was full of "Country Folk" lots of Cowboy Boots and big trucks.

SystemBug

I wouldn't say that Sikhs look all too similar to muslims, but I guess brown skin, a beard, and some headware is all the same to bigots.

For shame GOP. Instead of shitting on liberals for being against the freedom to vomit out hate speech why don't you reign in your men and tell them to stop shooting/ killing people they are too lazy to learn anything about.
Umm. South Asian Muslims look like Sikhs because they are from the same part of the world. In fact Sikh people think I am Sikh. As not all Sikh people wear Turbans.

Stinkles

Maybe Kent has changed in the past few years but in the past that town always felt like it was full of "Country Folk" lots of Cowboy Boots and big trucks.

It has changed rapidly as it absorbs overflow from Seattle and Redmond and Bellevue- it's one of the few "affordable" bedroom communities.

Kent is seven percent safer than the average town in Washington and almost thirty percent safer than the national average.

Atenhaus

It's no more "country* than Renton or Tukwila (which, incidentally, are also pretty multicultural towns). I graduated from Kent-Meridian in 2011 and I recall us being called the most diverse high school in the nation (by whatever metric) that year.

I was lost on my way to SeaTac Airport once, and ended up in meth country which was surprisingly close to the airport. I was scared.

Stinkles

I was lost on my way to SeaTac Airport once, and ended up in meth country which was surprisingly close to the airport. I was scared.

I get scared of Deliverance sex anywhere south or east of Ikea.

And everything north of Best Buy is Canada imo.

jWILL253

Banned
I love how this is attributed to Seattle in the thread title, when Seattle is a whole 20 miles away from Kent.

OP threw a dart on a map to find Kent, landed somewhere else in King County, and said "fuck it." Lol.

Don't talk about Tacoma like that. :p

Atenhaus

I love how this is attributed to Seattle in the thread title, when Seattle is a whole 20 miles away from Kent.

OP threw a dart on a map to find Kent, landed somewhere else in King County, and said "fuck it." Lol.

Don't talk about Tacoma like that. :p

Psh, everyone knows that you gotta go to Belfair for the best meth this side of the Cascades.

Quotient

We have had to attacks on people of Indian decent in a short period, both of which are clearly hate crimes, and yet Trump is silent. Trump wonders why folks are accusing him of fanning the flame of xenophobia in the USA.

RedHill

Banned
I went to school with plenty of racists that thought that Sikh men could potentially be Isis members. It was not only disgusting but incredibly embarrassing to know someone is actually that fucking dumb.

What pisses me off about these assholes, and people like Trump, who keep pushing this xenophobic, anti-immigration "go back to your country" mentality is just the stupidity of this mentality to begin with. This country is built on fucking invading foreigners, and unless you are native american, we are all descendant of immigrants. Being able to immigrate applies only to white people I guess to these fucking assholes.

I don't want to live in this country anymore so much, because I feel like it associates me with the scum of the earth sometimes.

Wouldn't all people eventually have to be immigrants from somewhere? at least in most places including NA, even though this is not to counter your idea at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom