• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sec Betsy DeVos Plans to Consult MRAs About Campus Sexual Assault

kirblar

I think we'd have heard about any actually positive mens rights groups by now if there were any, if only for being the exception to the rule.
It's because the "men's groups" are literally identity politics, while people who actually give a shit about an issue (like say, sexual assault) are involved w/ groups like RAINN that include both genders.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I think we'd have heard about any actually positive mens rights groups by now if there were any, if only for being the exception to the rule.

Even if there were, I think just the sheer number of mass rape threats and general shitty whiny behavior should poison that well forever. There are subsections of KKK and Neo-Nazi groups that try and reclaim the identity and swing it to a less hateful message, which good for them I guess? Personally, I think it incredibly stupid because again, Well=Poison beyond any salvation. Plus, why would you even want to? The MRA knows what they are. Even if they don't want to say it out loud, they know.

Crouch said in 2014 of football player Ray Rice, who knocked out his then-girlfriend in an elevator. “But if she hadn’t aggravated him, she wouldn’t have been hit. They would say that’s blaming the victim. But I don’t buy it.”

By this logic, I could punch the everloving fuck out of Harry Crouch, seeing as how everything he says aggravates me. Hey, you don't want to get punched, shut the fuck up, right? What was his response when Richard Spencer got cold-cocked on live TV? "Shouldn't have aggravated them Richard," I'm sure.

GhostBed

I knew a guy who considered himself an MRA, though he preferred "meninist".

Turned out to be a rapist. Go fucking figure.

DeVos is going to do some serious damage to the youth of this country.

The Dink

So...she going to consult with NAMBLA on child assault cases as well? Or the KKK on race relations?

Like...what the hell is wrong with these people?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It seems reasonable to assume that she will do everything in the shittiest way posssible

Randomizer

Jesus Christ this is like cartoon levels of absurdity and ridiculousness. It's like a Simpsons joke but it's actually fucking real. This world has gone to absolute shit.

D i Z

She came to do the job. This is the kind of shit she was appointed to do. That and strip all funding from schools and plunge education back into the dark ages with religious dogma.

Monocle

But her emails! Thank god we avoided a corrupt and incompetent administration by letting the pumpkin jester take over.

Veezy

que?
What...the..fuck

Aren't there any MRA groups that aren't massively misogynistic? I mean there are issues that deserve discussion, but how can you take them seriously when they say things like that?

No, but only because the issue of "Men's Rights" isn't something they actually address or that, technically, needs addressed.

See, male rape in prison, the display of black men in popular culture, the amount of black men killed by police, the rights of trans men, the rights of men in the LGBTQ+ in general, men being unable to be involved in stereotypically female gendered jobs or roles, etc. are none of their concern. These are things an actual advocate of issues with men would try to address. Unfortunately, as most people can tell, you kinda can't lump all that shit under "men's rights" because most (I'd say the vast majority) of those issues aren't primarily due to being of the male gendered persuasion.

To put it another way, there are issues with men but they are more tied into other complicated bull shit outside of just being a man. Toxic masculinity, systemic racism, unequal job opportunities, etc. aren't tied to being a man they are more tied to other issues that happen to impact men. There's no need for a "men's rights" movement the same way there's no need for a "white rights" movement. The issues men have aren't a problem because they're men, they're a problem because of other societal issues.

All MRAs care about are feminists. They do not care about how patriarchy fucks over men. If they did, they'd actually get some shit accomplished but to do that they'd have to work with other groups due to the complicated issues of intersectionality that impact men, and that shit ain't happening.

MartyStu

I was always of the mind that feminism, while it focuses largely on Women's rights and issues, cares about things that affect men too.
Or at least that's how it was told to me on GAF.

I am a feminist and that has always been my thought on the matter as well.

That said, men's issues have always been window dressing to most of these groups. They mostly exist to be anti-feminist.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there a MRA Group of prominence that is not full of shitheels?

There are a few (as in 2 or 3) issues that deserve some attention, but i've yet to see a group that focuses exclusively on those issues, especially without the extensive trappings of anti-feminism.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Is there a MRA Group of prominence that is not full of shitheels?

There are a few (as in 2 or 3) issues that deserve some attention, but i've yet to see a group that focuses exclusively on those issues, especially without the extensive trappings of anti-feminism.

That's because that's all the MRA group is about. They don't care about men's issues, they care about making women shut up about their issues by going "Men have problems too! So stop complaining!" As always, the group that cares more and helps out with men's issues is, and always will be, feminism whether people like it or not.

Veezy

que?
That's because that's all the MRA group is about. They don't care about men's issues, they care about making women shut up about their issues by going "Men have problems too! So stop complaining!" As always, the group that cares more and helps out with men's issues is, and always will be, feminism whether people like it or not.

Yup. Easy example is a focus on rape culture. Even if men aren't specifically brought up, dealing with rape culture as a whole and honestly addressing the problem with benefit men who are victims of sexual assault and rape who may be too ashamed to come forward. Also, it might help make prison rape a bad thing rather than some sort of joke that's even told in children's' movies.

Use the phrase "rape culture" around an MRA and all you'll get is an earful of "that's just feminist propaganda" or "it's shit like making all that noise about consent that makes me not know when I can have sex or not".

The face that DeVos is even speaking with these people is going to cause damage, and she wouldn't even need to enact any of their ideas into policy. Speaking to them is going to result in giving credence to their positions and draw positive attention their way. I'm sure, though, that Trump supports all leaning even harder right into the MRA playbook won't lead to issues.

duckroll

Here's the problem with the idea of MRA. The very concept that there are issues which men cannot bring to attention that somehow needs activism.... is rather nonsensical given the power structure of society anywhere in the world today. This doesn't mean things are perfect for everyone and that there aren't issues concerning men specifically as a gender which don't need talking about. But people do talk about those things, there are no barriers to it, and if they are important enough to most men, they are almost immediately addressed.

What MRA groups cling on to are issues are feelings of insecurity and the fear that giving unique benefits to other people is somehow "unfair". They prey on vulnerable men who for personal reasons feel marginalized, much like how far right and nationalist groups prey on demographics who are part of the majority but feel they don't full benefit from the perceived privilege. It's very unfortunate and the more people tell them that they're fighting for the wrong cause, the more it feels to them that they are in fact being oppressed. So their obvious solution is to consider how to blame other groups of people they do not like and run them down.

Crouch said in 2014 of football player Ray Rice, who knocked out his then-girlfriend in an elevator. ”But if she hadn't aggravated him, she wouldn't have been hit. They would say that's blaming the victim. But I don't buy it."
This makes complete sense. Like, if you walk up and punch a bear in the face, you will probably die soon after and it would be your fault. Same thing here.

EXCEPT MEN ARE NOT WILD ANIMALS YOU FUCKING SHIT!

This makes complete sense. Like, if you walk up and punch a bear in the face, you will probably die soon after and it would be your fault. Same thing here.

EXCEPT MEN ARE NOT WILD ANIMALS YOU FUCKING SHIT!

Thats another reason I hate these people, they portray men as violent sexual deviants with no self control that are being provoked by uppity women.

We are civilized human beings, not animals.

So to combat sexual assault and violence, she goes with the group that perpetuate it and not the victims...

slide_397382_4885726_free.gif

Beartruck

So to combat sexual assault and violence, she goes with the group that perpetuate it and not the victims...

Devos' brother ran Blackwater, the most infamous mercenary group of the Iraq war. Pretty safe to assume she'll pick the evillest option possible at any given moment.

Top Bottom