• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake (PC/Vita/PS4, February 15th, 2018) Trailer

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah... that looks like a high res PS2 game. FINE BY ME! It wasnt going to be HD sprites, and thank goodness it's not low-quality marionette-style 2D. I like seeing old-school art designs in this kinda 3d. For all the calls or it looking "generic"... not really? It might look similar to many mobile games, but it looks a quality rung above, and isn't as obviously inspired by modern anime art trends. Proven by how much more realized it looks than the already competent Adventure of Mana.

Diablo 3 didn't scratch my desire for a local co-op like Mana. Nice to see a remake of the real thing. I always said in the Tablet and cellphone-only days, that I'd love to see such projects reach console. Happy to prove it now. This is preferred over decades of hibernation.

Slaythe

OK. This looks pretty ugly.

36574977852_b5b9166a22_b.jpg

Went from overjoyed to 0 care within the same 2 minutes and I feel empty.

I mean, might as well just play the original at this point, nothing wrong with that. Certainly not paying that much for this.

Yeah... that looks like a high res PS2 game. FINE BY ME! It wasnt going to be HD sprites, and thank goodness it's not low-quality marionette-style 2D. I like seeing old-school art designs in this kinda 3d. For all the calls or it looking "generic"... not really? It might look similar to many mobile games, but it looks a quality rung above, and isn't as obviously inspired by modern anime art trends. Proven by how much more realized it looks than the already competent Adventure of Mana.

Diablo 3 didn't scratch my desire for a local co-op like Mana. Nice to see a remake of the real thing. I always said in the Tablet and cellphone-only days, that I'd love to see such projects reach console. Happy to prove it now. This is preferred over decades of hibernation.

"ps2 game", shall I remind you of the games that were on ps2 ? Especially RPGs ?

This just looks like a mobile game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The graphics aren't too hot, obviously. But I don't care. It's Secret of Mana and I can't wait.

That being said, it's certainly pricey in Japan. Curious to see the price in America.

Gunkankun

Went from overjoyed to 0 care within the same 2 minutes and I feel empty.

I mean, might as well just play the original at this point, nothing wrong with that. Certainly not paying that much for this.

"ps2 game", shall I remind you of the games that were on ps2 ? Especially RPGs ?

Small nitpick, but I remember the arena being much much bigger in that fight. Somehow the sprites to map ratio seems off.

JayBabay

They went straight for Pocket Edition here, could have just announced it for the 3DS instead and made it somewhat bearable.

Looks ugly.
I would have prefered the Mana collection which also include Seiken Densetu 3.
And even if they eventually remake Seiken 3... It already is one of the best looking 16 bit games, every sprite is just gorgeous and filled with details. If we finally get that game in the west but have to suffer such a garbage artstyle... Ugh.

If you can afford to localize this one, you can afford to localize the third one in the Switch collection eh Square?

Cover looks fine though, keep it original.

Fisico

It's... not that ugly, especially compared with the AoM remake, but doesn't look very good either. In the end the remake only strikes me as a "we HAVE to make it 3D" with not much thinking behind that, artistic direction what's that?
We've yet to see how it looks overall though, but I don't expect much.

It's not really an improvement in the end, dub may attract more people but it's pretty cringe as is, lack of Switch is a bit troubling (not hard to see why though), especially after the Seiken collection, but at least Square Enix was smart enough to not announce that remake first and release the Seiken collection afterwards.
take the hint Capcpom

duckroll

Just a hunch that moving to 3D will change the feel of the gameplay a lot. When paired with that cheap art style I don't get the feeling this port will pay much attention to detail.

Sounds like you didn't play the SD1 remake that they released on phones and vita. It controls pretty much identically to the original, even trying to copy some of the bad quirks of the original controls. It's just in 3D.

DonMigs85

Not digging the style, but I love Mana (still got my SNES cart I bought in 1995) and hoping this fleshes out the story and script a bit.

They basically stuck with the Adventures of Mana art style.

The bright side of that is they're likely not going to stop with just Seiken Densetsu 1 and 2. I'd guess they'll do a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake in the same art style with a worldwide release.
That's what I'm hoping too since I remember starting SoM like 3 times and never got into it, and I never played AoM. But SD3 now that I played and loved! Hopefully that one gets a phisical release in NA.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The original sprite will always hold better, but between ugly updated sprites and bland 3D, I will take the second.

Nerrel

It looks great, don't understand the hate. Are we too good for cartoony but clean graphics now?

The original game was extremely vibrant and full of color and life. These bland, low-poly visuals don't really capture the spirit of the original or look good on their own merits. I mean... there's more detail and realism in the original SNES version:

mana-15.png

36574977852_b5b9166a22_b.jpg

Look at the care put into the shading on that pixel art to make the architecture look rounded and deep, now look at how flat and plain the actual 3D version looks in comparison. Details like the keystones in the arches are also missing, and the way those bricks awkwardly wrap along that bottom corner is pretty lazy. It just looks cheap as hell and doesn't do justice to the quality of the original art.

The original game is honestly pretty rough in some spots. I'd like to think this is an opportunity to restore the planned CD content and realize all the original potential. If they pull that off, it'll be a far better game, no matter how bad it looks.

CamHostage

Hard to get excited for this. It just looks like a phone game that's gonna' control weird.

I do think the game deserved more love and attention in finally getting a remake (would have been nice if Square Enix actually had found anything lost from the SNES CD content, which was said to cause the disjointed feeling in the game from its removal.) It's too special and it's been too long for this to be the "definitive" revival.

That said, Adventures of Mana is widely said to be faithful to its original (Final Fantasy Adventure), surprisingly so, to a fault even (it could have been a better game, but instead, they made it faithful to the good and bad of the old GB game.) The sword-strokes and directional movement of AoM are much less limited than the GB game's four-way movement, but it didn't seem to actually change the battle mechanics much. If Secret of Mana replicates the game in the same way, it should be just as good and just as bad as its predecessor at recreating the original... but, with these graphics.

Could have used online though...

The quality of the visual adaptation looks as disappointing as Adventure of Mana's adaptation of Game Boy visuals.

The static, low-poly inanimate objects just aren't a good translation from pixel art, though it fares better from its predecessor in how the developers don't need to recreate a grid of trees or objects which looked fine on the Game Boy due to the screen resolution and window being tiny.

I'm surprised this is 4800 yen as well. That probably explains why it's not on iOS and Android this time, since price parity wouldn't fly on those formats.

The game deserves better at any rate. While Metroid: Samus Returns, another 2D-3D remake out within the same period may not be to everyone's tastes, there's no debate that MercurySteam's handling of that game's presentation is eons ahead of this.

jb1234

It is interesting that they've incorporated the original version (more or less) into the minimap on the upper right corner.

Sölf

I am actually a bit torn on this. I like that they make a remake of this great game and that it will be fully voiced and has dual audio.

However, Square made so many great RPGs back in the day and they choose Secret of Mana, which will already be part of the SNES Classic which releases a few months earlier. That's a bit of a letdown.

Whogie

Sounds like you didn't play the SD1 remake that they released on phones and vita. It controls pretty much identically to the original, even trying to copy some of the bad quirks of the original controls. It's just in 3D.
That said, Adventures of Mana is widely said to be faithful to its original (Final Fantasy Adventure), surprisingly so, to a fault even (it could have been a better game, but instead, they made it faithful to the good and bad of the old GB game.) The sword-strokes and directional movement of AoM are much less limited than the GB game's four-way movement, but it didn't seem to actually change the battle mechanics much. If Secret of Mana replicates the game in the same way, it should be just as good and just as bad as its predecessor at recreating the original... but, with these graphics.

Makes me a bit hopeful. At the very least the hit boxes on some bosses should be more obvious in this version.
9nxajgb.png

Edit: Makes me wonder if they'll keep whiffing if you attack when an enemy is getting up. Or chaining spells.

i-Jest

Out of left field.

I'll be getting this for sure, maybe not at release but I'll definitely get this. Adventures of Mana was a fun play through, so I expect this to be in the same league.

I wonder what the chances of getting that Star Ocean Second Evolution PS4/Vita port or Saga Scarlet Grace localization are now? Likely still nil, but for those interested in this game, or mildly interested, lets show Square the Vita is still worth it.

CamHostage

The PS4 version better support local co-op! They wouldn't add online co-op but skip local, right?

It's only local co-op. So good on one hand, bad on the other.

The static, low-poly inanimate objects just aren't a good translation from pixel art, though it fares better from its predecessor in how the developers don't need to recreate a grid of trees or objects which looked fine on the Game Boy due to the screen resolution and window being tiny.

I wouldn't have minded if the whole game was remade in the Flash-style layered art of the trailer's Mana Tree intro (before it cuts to 3D), though that pasted-on look bugs a lot of people, so Square could have made a number of bad art decisions; full-3D is at least a sensible choice for this era, and they've at least improved it over Adventures of Mana.

It is interesting that they've incorporated the original version (more or less) into the minimap on the upper right corner.

There IS a comparison screen of the SNES version inlaid on every one of the gameplay screenshots, but I would have to imagine that was done by PR and is not a gameplay feature?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I remember them. I also remember all of them weren't big budget, and that never bothered me much. Things like Ephemeral Phantasia of Suikoden 3 don't look too off from this. And they weren't made to simultaneously release on a handheld either.

But alongside that, I'm happy with how simple it looks. The designs aren't made overly-modern with unfitting details (like the Dawn of Mana hero), the UI is classic, and it's not forcing itself to look all that updated or modern.

It's not ideal, but it looks more than functional, and like a nice step forward from AOM. I like some designs in a moble game like marvel future fight as much or more than console / pc counterparts. Looking similar to a mobile game isnt all that bad now-a-days.

I wouldn't have minded if the whole game was remade in the Flash-style layered art of the trailer's Mana Tree intro (before it cuts to 3D), though that pasted-on look bugs a lot of people, so Square could have made a number of bad art decisions; full-3D is at least a sensible choice for this era, and they've at least improved it over Adventures of Mana.

Should've went the Octopath Traveler way.

Nerrel

There IS a comparison screen of the SNES version inlaid on every one of the gameplay screenshots, but I would have to imagine that was done by PR and is not a gameplay feature?

I don't think that's the SNES version. It looks like the Android version:
SNES
Secret_of_Mana_-_SNES_-_Boss_Defeated.png

Android
4_secret_of_mana.jpg

The architecture in the thumbnail matches that Android version. The original SNES is the most coherent and pleasing one to look at in any case.

JP

One of my favourite games of all time so I can't wait for this. I'm not sure about the changes but I'm still in, so happy with this.

7roject28

Would have preferred HD 2d art a'la Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4 PSP remakes. But this seems alright, unless the controls suck ass.

Mathieran

Banned
When that video opened up with that cover art I was super excited, thought the whole game was going to follow that style. But then it changed to what we are actually getting and my hype deflated.

Veldin

Cannot stress enough how it looks almost exactly how I imagined it would in 3D. There's so much more that I want to see.

I've wanted this for so long.

Top Bottom