• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake (PC/Vita/PS4, February 15th, 2018) Trailer

CamHostage

I don't think that's the SNES version. It looks like the Android version:

Er, correct. And not a "screenshot", but a pull of the map of the 2D art BG. Which is interesting that they did that for "comparison" when it's not comparing to either version ... almost leads me to believe it actually is a map gameplay feature, but that would be crazy (and also, the circle doesn't map to the player of the trio in at least one shot.) Also, they didn't insert a 'comparison shot' of the iconic waterfall scene, hmm...

The bright side of that is they're likely not going to stop with just Seiken Densetsu 1 and 2. I'd guess they'll do a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake in the same art style with a worldwide release.

That was the rumor back when this was coming together, so I'd guess so too, although it still surprised me to see this news.

BTW, I wonder what they'll call Seiken Densetsu 3 if/when it finally gets localized, since it never had an English-language name. Just simply Secret of Mana 2? Or will they finally give it a canon name to fit in the series? Maybe loop back around and call it Gaiden of Mana ... or not.

It looks like a PS2 game with higher resolution textures. And I'm not even exaggerating on that.
My hype deflated quite a bit after seeing some screenshots.

Steady on - there are few known PS2 titles that look like this.

It's more in line with what Square Enix/Matrix software was putting out on DS: Flat lighting with low-poly environments. I think even something like Vagrant Story on PS1, or Threads of Fate, look more visually accomplished than this in actual gameplay.

Only the textures are above the geometry, animation and flat lighting, but at severe cost of making the whole thing look inconsistent.

orioto

Good Art™
One of the problem of those top down 3d remake, is that in the original the perspective was fake so you could see the character and his face. It's actually boring to see them from the top.

I noticed that in I'm Setsuna, which is meant to be "like in the old time!". Every character whithout a portrait (meaning almost all of them) has basically no facial presence in the game. That's bland as fuck.

Anyway this look like an ios game i guess.
Now i'm not sure SoM was such a graphical AAA on Super famicom compared to other titles, to begin with. Now i love it as much as the other guy i mean it was my first rpg :p

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
mana-15.png

36574977852_b5b9166a22_b.jpg

damn

Sentenza

I have absolutely no objection on moving from 2D pixel art to (competent) 3D models, given the level of detail possible today on the latter and all the upsides in term of versatility...
But this frankly looks like a low effort attempt.

iMerc

i wish they remade them with hand-drawn artwork like legend of mana on the psx.
right now this looks like a very low budget effort. still nice that SE are reconsidering the I.P though.

One of the problem of those top down 3d remake, is that in the original the perspective was fake so you could see the character and his face. It's actually boring to see them from the top.

I noticed that in I'm Setsuna, which is meant to be "like in the old time!". Every character whithout a portrait (meaning almost all of them) has basically no facial presence in the game. That's bland as fuck.

Anyway this look like an ios game i guess.
Now i'm not sure SoM was such a graphical AAA on Super famicom compared to other titles, to begin with. Now i love it as much as the other guy i mean it was my first rpg :p

This is a really good point, and explains why the character models in I am Setsuna were so forgettable compared to stuff like FFIV's remake (which did have fake perspective), and LoZ A Link Between Worlds.

saturnine

They should have taken a cue from A Link Between World's smooth criminal system.

Widge

This and LTTP were my most adored and most played SNES games. I am avidly looking forward to this, even though I don't have a platform to play it on yet.

EDIT - regarding art style.

I feel that in a world where people lament FF7R for not being a beat for beat remake "but graphics", this should be just fine? I would imagine that this is what you'd get if Square decided to do a pure uplift of FF7.

DonMigs85

This and LTTP were my most adored and most played SNES games. I am avidly looking forward to this, even though I don't have a platform to play it on yet.

The Steam version probably won't be too demanding, even a low-end laptop will likely handle it well.

ookami

It looks like a PS2 game with higher resolution textures.
Not quite. Unless you had a custom PS2 with great capabilities with anti aliasing.
I wouldn't have expected much seeing it's coming for PS Vita.

I guess I'll wait for an announcement on Switch, since it's coming to Steam it might be a temporary exclusivity on consoles. In worst case, well... If I have to get it on a non-portable device it will be the Steam version.

I don't get the hate for the artwork. It reminds me of the promo artwork released back in '93. I really like it! If you ask me, they should have gone for the full clay look! :)

4631518640_2b8354473e.jpg

Ertai

I am incredibly dissappointed that this is not releasing on Switch but on Vita instead. This game belongs on a Nintendo console as well and should at the very least have released simultaneously if at all.

marmoka

Banned
Looks like a 3DS game in HD.

Didn't they release the trilogy for Nintendo Switch in Japan some months ago? Probably it didn't sell well and that's why there's no Switch release planned.

Also not that impressed :( Secret of Mana is probably a top 3 SNES game for me, too. I liked it more than Chrono Trigger, even. But I don't really recognize the art as the SNES game I knew... the proportions seem even more exaggerated than the original sprite art.

And that's one ugly, intrusive minimap... Why's every RPG think they need one? I wish more games would ditch minimaps and instead use a togglable overlap map a la FF XII TZA.

Well, looks better than Adventures of Mana on Vita to me. And I was fine with that game.

Thrilled at worldwide release confirmed already, and no begging for Vita this now.

Now I'm just gonna hold out hope that there's some English subs included in the Japanese physical release. That would be a dream come true...

Didn't they release the trilogy for Nintendo Switch in Japan some months ago? Probably it didn't sell well and that's why there's no Switch release planned.

Don't think that's the case. Because why would they make a Vita version instead of a Switch one if they cared about selling well.

They'd have to translate the third game, probably not worth it. I imagine they'll just do a remake of it if this one is successful.

If I'm not mistaken, Square has actually licensed fan translations before. If not Square themselves, I know it's been done by someone. Point is, there's precedent for the original publisher using the perfectly satisfactory fan translation kicking around the internet.

Fake edit: According to Wikipedia, I was mistaken about Square doing it, but hey. No time like the present. SD3 is one of the top five games on the SNES for me, and I would pay any price for an official release.

Widge

The Steam version probably won't be too demanding, even a low-end laptop will likely handle it well.

I've got it on my phone. But I was thinking more towards the Vita version and physical buttons.

Hold on, it's with the SNES Mini isn't it? I've got that coming too.

Calabi

The original game was extremely vibrant and full of color and life. These bland, low-poly visuals don't really capture the spirit of the original or look good on their own merits. I mean... there's more detail and realism in the original SNES version:

mana-15.png

36574977852_b5b9166a22_b.jpg

Look at the care put into the shading on that pixel art to make the architecture look rounded and deep, now look at how flat and plain the actual 3D version looks in comparison. Details like the keystones in the arches are also missing, and the way those bricks awkwardly wrap along that bottom corner is pretty lazy. It just looks cheap as hell and doesn't do justice to the quality of the original art.

The original game is honestly pretty rough in some spots. I'd like to think this is an opportunity to restore the planned CD content and realize all the original potential. If they pull that off, it'll be a far better game, no matter how bad it looks.

This summarise my feelings. I'm not against 3D low poly graphics, in fact I like them, but this does look cheap and done by not very good artists.

Basically same people as Adventures of Mana. If you've played that, that's what this is probably going to be like. I'm going to assume it plays better because it's not based on an android game this time but we shall see.

Either way, I'll definitely give it a shot? Might be good. Wonder if the PS4 physical copy in Japan has english or not? I really prefer physical copies over digital.

Top Bottom