• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security bulletin for nVidia drivers (Update em to 376.33)

Nibel

I hope this will allow me to use Photoshop while a YouTube video is playing in the background again without my computer freezing

Sky87

According to this article, only Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are affected.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/100423-nvidia-geforce-37633-whql-drivers-focus-security/

Not sure how they came to that conclusion though.

EDIT: Below is from the changelog.

Windows 10 Fixed Issues:

- Install the Display Container via co-installer. [200228206]
- [375.86, GP104] Corruption in YouTube video playback when two or more videos are playing at the same time in Chrome. [1843100]
- Clean up the escape calls that use physical addresses. [1626231]

Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7 Fixed Issues:

- Install the Display Container via co-installer. [200228206]
- NV_ESC_ID_NVAPI_REPORT_WFD_HOTPLUG and NV_ESC_ID_NVAPI_ENUM_DISPLAYIDS_EX don't validate the size of input, causing a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. [1808374]
- Clean up the escape calls that use physical addresses. [1626231]
- NVL_ESC_ID_COMMON_REGISTRY_ACCESS escalates user privileges when the registry is accessed. [1359976]

Leb

Just recently got back into pc gaming and I swear to god everything that annoyed me 5 to 10 years has only exercabated since. And the gap between pc and consoles shrank considerably that really the only benefits I've seen is fps and iq which pale to the bells and whistle of old. Shit like this just isn't worth it.

I couldn't agree more. Truly, I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've been inconvenienced by local privilege escalation attacks whose exploitability are either unproven or proof-of-concept-only and for which fixes have already been made available.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm really beginning to regret switch from AMD to nVidia. Every update is a new problem. I had to rollback drivers to make my Vive work again a few weeks ago.

It looks like NVIDIA could use a Driver Revival Kit.

jrthrtdms4z.jpg

Plum

I'm really beginning to regret switch from AMD to nVidia. Every update is a new problem. I had to rollback drivers to make my Vive work again a few weeks ago.

Yup. I'm building a Mini-ITX computer for University in a few weeks and I'm seriously considering going for the RX480 instead of the 1070 I was going for; I know the framerates will be considerably worse but it seems like the more stable (and cheaper) choice. I can upgrade when Nvidia or AMD get their shit together.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
lol nvidia

on a fucking roll

Another reason why I really like my model of gaming on PC only on games that are 1+ year old, I only update drivers a few weeks after release. Most of my new games are console purchases. In the past week I have seen like 3 nvidia driver updates, its just insane how bad the stability can get around the time of a bunch of back to back game releases.

To me it just blows my mind that the fucking nvidia drivers need to get updated every time a big game is released. What the fuck kind of driver model is this.

edit: just checked and the .33 drivers are from 12/13 so not another update this week at least, they are just saying to update to last weeks update i guess to avoid kernel exploit bugs

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yup. I'm building a Mini-ITX computer for University in a few weeks and I'm seriously considering going for the RX480 instead of the 1070 I was going for; I know the framerates will be considerably worse but it seems like the more stable (and cheaper) choice. I can upgrade when Nvidia or AMD get their shit together.

At this point, I would go 480 if I could.

CHC

Fucking CHRIST with these things

Maybe they could spend ten motherfucking minutes actually testing them instead of them tossing them out into the open so they can plug whatever meaningless goddamn tie-in they have with the latest AAA moneymaker

Jesus NVidia have some self-respect, just been worse and worse with these drivers

You know shit's fucked when YouTube is causing problems until hardware accel is disabled

YOUTUBE

You know, that website that has been around since 2004 and runs on every single device short of a Bic Pen

FAHHH

/rant

Head.spawn

#based NVIDIA drivers.

I wonder if the next ones will actually make your computer explode.

You're joking now, but when we're sweeping your GPU into a dust pan next month... :p

I couldn't agree more. Truly, I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've been inconvenienced by local privilege escalation attacks whose exploitability are either unproven or proof-of-concept-only and for which fixes have already been made available.

Damn Barry.

Lanrutcon

What the hell is going on?

Nvidia used to have the edge when it came to drivers. Now it's just screw up after screw up.

Coreda

Have there been any trouble with the last set of drivers? Been hearing all sorts of issues with the more recent updates so I've kept to 372 which has been fine for months.

Drazgul

This isn't a huge deal tbh, it just enables you to escalate your privileges if you already have access - no one'll remotely gain access to your computer because of this, or anything like that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What the hell is going on?

Nvidia used to have the edge when it came to drivers. Now it's just screw up after screw up.

I'd say it's abundantly clear at this point that QA has taken a hit in order to continue ensuring game-ready/launch-day drivers.

MUnited83

For you.
Just recently got back into pc gaming and I swear to god everything that annoyed me 5 to 10 years has only exercabated since. And the gap between pc and consoles shrank considerably that really the only benefits I've seen is fps and iq which pale to the bells and whistle of old. Shit like this just isn't worth it.
A issue that didn't affect you and has already been fixed is that much of a bummer to you?

Sidon

I'm still using driver version 373.06, since all the drivers after that one gave me serious issues. Like Youtube / stream encoding / decoding errors and games locking when quitting to desktop and then mucking up my driver install alltogether.

I updated as quickly as I could and all seems well here... knock on wood.

This is probably one of these times where you're basically forced to update anyway.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I updated as quickly as I could and all seems well here... knock on wood.

This is probably one of these times where you're basically forced to update anyway.

I'm updating now. Here's to hoping my Vive and Rifty don't become paperweights again.

PC Gaming. It just works. Bah.

I almost came back this year. Glad I didn't.

I wonder why I don't see people shitposting on the "XX game doesn't work/crash/runs like shit on my PS4/Pro!" threads that became commonplace here. It's only in the PC threads, of course.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so do i really need to update? i used to update as soon as a new driver came out but Nvidia have been a joke lately so I was just sticking with 376.09.

Jolkien

so do i really need to update? i used to update as soon as a new driver came out but Nvidia have been a joke lately so I was just sticking with 376.09.

Depend if you really like a vulnerability in your system or not. I'd suggest you update but I'm no computer expert.

Mupod

I'd say it's abundantly clear at this point that QA has taken a hit in order to continue ensuring game-ready/launch-day drivers.

and yet they can't support SLI in said game-ready drivers anymore. It's never been perfect but holy shit it's been bad lately. Hell I managed to get SLI working in Titanfall 2 eventually but then their drivers broke it. Meanwhile the company is trying to sell a more expensive type of SLI bridge to people...

Kudo

I'm still using driver version 373.06, since all the drivers after that one gave me serious issues. Like Youtube / stream encoding / decoding errors and games locking when quitting to desktop and then mucking up my driver install alltogether.

Me too, are these affected by this? Really don't want to update cause Nvidias drivers are such a hassle.

Top Bottom