• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Xater said:
Because that would be mentioned in a dacument about Sony plans?

Haven't you heard? Sony's buying Apple. I read it on a emergency meeting doc that just popped up here on Apple's ftp...

gofreak said:
In the case where it's more like per title porting rather than emulation, this would be a nice gesture. They'd need a way to record a disc as having been redeemed though...which would require all ps2 discs to have a unique id that the system can read. Is that possible?

It may be a way. Having 2 versions of each game in the PSN. One, paid, to download and play without having the original disc. Another one, free, that you will install like the paid one but, in order to be executed, will require to have the PS2 disc with the correct ID in the BD unit.

TrutaS

Wouldn't this news kinda make the whole God of War Collection thing kind of useless? Unless these downloadable games are not to be upscaled, which would make them different from god of war...

TrutaS said:
Wouldn't this news kinda make the whole God of War Collection thing kind of useless? Unless these downloadable games are not to be upscaled, which would make them different from god of war...

God of War Collection probably is complely HD. Not only scaled, also with better texture quality and even maybe models with more policount. Also, trophies. And with the price of PS2 GoW + GoW II (don't expect to have PS2 games in the store with less than 20$, at least the main titles)

Corto

gofreak said:
Haven't you heard? Sony's buying Apple. I read it on a emergency meeting doc that just popped up here on Apple's ftp...

You kid, but the rumor mill had it the other way around not so long ago...

TrutaS

That sounds too good to be true, but great if true. Anyway i never played Shemnue, so this news could help me with that..

Shurs

Regarding Dreamcast titles on the PSN, if they had an agreement in place, it's a shame they didn't make an announcement on 09/09/09. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of free press.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
But never too early anyway to start preparing or certainly to be doing tech work on it.
Technical issues aside, I think main delay in seeing PS2 games online has been retail. Just look at reactions for PSPGo, and consider how 'happy' they'd be if a real cashcow gets digital treatment.
I wouldn't be surprised if in the west PS2 software still makes more at retail then PSP.

TrutaS said:

It will likely be after that comes out, next year maybe? God of War sounds like a port rather than any sort of emulation, I doubt they'd add trophy support to all PS2 games.

Backflip

deepbrown said:
Yes, cause now they can badger SEGA for similar deals.

As I said in my news post (that I had to delete), they probably already had similar meetings with Microsoft and maybe even Nintendo.

glaurung

TONX said:
So what are the odds that this gets announced at TGS?
You mean the motion controller release window? Zero.

Edit: Actually, it could happen, but only if they already have a number of games supporting it in the pipeline that they can either demo or promote as video.

Elios83

TONX said:
So what are the odds that this gets announced at TGS?

Motion controller definetly ( they could/should announce a few launch games for it), they confirmed it themselves at their Gamescom conference.
PS2 emulator and DC games on PSN seem to be work in progress stuff for next year so it's unlikely they will talk about them.

Shurs

Paracelsus said:
Yakuza import on PSN, with Y3 localization handled by Ignition?

Hopefully. Though, if they're going to be distributing the game digitally, I don't see why Ignition would be involved at all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Xater said:
Can you imagine working at Sega PR right now?

Sega of Amercia Chef: "Who the fuck put some fake store brand pasta sauce on my linguine! This confidential recipe meddler? AGAIN! I want to see heads roll!"

:lol
Fixed for more accuracy according to your bold spelling of "Chief"

Corto

Xater said:
Can you imagine working at Sega PR right now?

Sega of Amercia Chef: "Who the fuck put something this confidential up on out ftp? AGAIN! I want to see heads roll!"

:lol

No problem... They'll put the blame on the IT guy.

20090922-nq7piabbthnm9hx8pf38j7tqe6.gif

deepbrown

Backflip said:
Yeah, it's too late.

I wanted to keep the story on my site, but we're not big enough (yet) to do something like that (even though I'm not sure Sega has the right to make us take down a story).
Keep it. Explain that it's everywhere and that it's too late to take it down. They will still be your friends. It's their fault, not yours.

It's on Eurogamer, MCV...everything.

And now that they've spoken, we know it's true :D

Shurs said:
Regarding Dreamcast titles on the PSN, if they had an agreement in place, it's a shame they didn't make an announcement on 09/09/09. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of free press.

Maybe that was the original intention, but the emulator wasn't quite ready yet? Perhaps they'll go for a TGS announcement instead!

Oh and SEGA trying to stop the rumour from spreading is really stupid becuase it just confirms everything :lol

Gotta love the idea of characters from the Fable universe in a freaking racing game. "Oh boy, I'm playing as Fable Guy!" or "I'm playing as Jack of Blades!" It's not a game universe teaming with great, iconic characters, is it?

But it was probably given as an example, I would assume.

Dreamcast games as downloadable titles would be cool. I like the idea of "import" titles as well.

Backflip

deepbrown said:
Keep it. Explain that it's everywhere and that it's too late to take it down. They will still be your friends.

I'm not so sure about that (for a bunch of reasons that'd take too long to explain).

I'll wait for a while, if the big(ger) sites keep it, I'll republish it.

deepbrown

Backflip said:
I'm not so sure about that (for a bunch of reasons that'd take too long to explain).

I'll wait for a while, if the big(ger) sites keep it, I'll republish it.
They're keeping it. It really is far too late.

deepbrown said:
Yes, cause now they can badger SEGA for similar deals.

As has been said earlier these talks have probably happened as they mention Fable/Rare characters for Sonic Racing in this Sony Memo - presumably that's from the Microsoft session, not Sony based on the characters.

Haunted

Someone will definitely get fired over this if this is true. Some juicy bits in there, especially the PSN PS2/DC possibilities.

If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.
bububu I thought Sony doesn't buy exclusivity anymore. ;)

Dragon

Banned
News Bot said:
Will never happen.

They can't even handle PS1 games worth a shit.

Well considering they have PS1 games out there and as you said they can't handle them, it only supports the idea that they can put them out there half-assed.

Stitch

Gold Member
SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)

This is why we can't have nice things BC.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I hope PS2 emulation means disc based games work too.

I have a 60GB launch unit, but lack of BC is keeping me from grabbing a slim down the line.

Ponn

Banned
I would be okay paying Greatest Hits prices (19.99 or less) for PS2 games downloaded and played off the HDD. As long as Square didn't sit on their behinds for years and got FFX and FFXII out right away.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Oh man, if DC emulation and Yakuza 3 do appear it will totally vindicate my decision to get a PS3 over WII or 360 this gen!
:D :D :D :D :D

squicken

Disappointed to see Alpha Protocol is even less an RPG than ME. It's also got to annoy the shit out of Obsidian to see their publisher crap on their game less than a month before its release, and further cast them in the shadow of Bioware.

Haunted

Ponn01 said:
I would be okay paying Greatest Hits prices (19.99 or less) for PS2 games downloaded and played off the HDD. As long as Square didn't sit on their behinds for years and got FFX and FFXII out right away.
SotC would be the top of my list if they'd optimise it to run at 60fps.

Fatghost said:
I hope PS2 emulation means disc based games work too.
lol

Top Bottom