• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

My brothers friend said there's games with boobies in this thread

No, but every copy of Panic! came with an LSD tab.

0Xg7nv.gif

tumblr_o8kx4eEOgL1rbm0olo1_500.gif

IrishNinja

so i had a pool party/BBQ last weekend and later that night, my roommate had mario kart for switch & we lined up games for people to play

so of course my man cj_iwakura wowed everyone by beating Wirehead & then Double Switch back to back, it was crazy seeing a room full of half drunks really get into the zaniness, haha

also im about halfway through the unWorking Designs Popful Mail & definitely enjoying it more this time

No, but every copy of Panic! came with an LSD tab.

this game makes so much sense now
also damn those sonic CD gifs are cool

How do I fix the internal battery of my Sega CD? It can't hold a charge anymore.

yeah my model 1 recently wanted to be formatted, glad i kept most of my data on the RAM cart but still lost stuff like Space Adventure Cobra

BTails

also im about halfway through the unWorking Designs Popful Mail & definitely enjoying it more this time

Oh my goodness, I just discovered the set of hacks to "Un-Working Design" a lot of their releases... This is a rabbit hole I will 100% fall down. Not that I don't love the work they did (I don't mind the pop culture translations), but some of the difficulty changes are terrible.

I did notice that there's (seemingly) no patch for Silhouette Mirage... That's the only one that seems missing out of the many Sega CD, PSX, PC Engine and Saturn patches available.

IrishNinja

Oh my goodness, I just discovered the set of hacks to "Un-Working Design" a lot of their releases... This is a rabbit hole I will 100% fall down. Not that I don't love the work they did (I don't mind the pop culture translations), but some of the difficulty changes are terrible.

I did notice that there's (seemingly) no patch for Silhouette Mirage... That's the only one that seems missing out of the many Sega CD, PSX, PC Engine and Saturn patches available.

yeah, id love to replay both Lunars with these, but i can't patch them worth shit - if anyone else can please lemme know!

and god id love a localized Mirage to not play like butt...actually i should check romhacking & see if anyone just patched the localization into the saturn one

IrishNinja

Does the patch remove the difficulty spikes in Lunar? I stopped paying when I hit one.

...lunar 1? that game wasn't hard at all! 2 had moments, but i thought part of that was the system forcing you to trade XP for saves.

romhacking has the details but i believe difficulty was affected, yeah

I like the saves require experience system. It keeps me from save scumming. Otherwise, I'm in favor of it. Thank god they didn't get their hands on Phantasy Star IV.

I've noticed listings of Wild Woody for like $150 and see it is listed as ~$135. It has jumped 100 bucks in a year. I wonder if someone cornered the market on that pile of crap. I got it for 20 a year ago and that was too much.

Only game I've played recently is Cobra Command. I thought it was a lot better than similar fmv rail shooters on the system. Next game up is going to be Ultraverse Prime.

JDH

Anyone successfully install one of these for their Sega CD Model 2? I've seen a few examples, but no real clear instructions. Do we just need the spindle or are other parts required? The reason I ask is the top portion of my Sega CD 2 broke into tiny bits :(

For-PSONE-CD-Laser-Disc-Holder-For-Playstation-1-font-b-PS1-b-font-Replacement-font.jpg

IrishNinja

I like the saves require experience system. It keeps me from save scumming. Otherwise, I'm in favor of it. Thank god they didn't get their hands on Phantasy Star IV.

yeah but i like save scumming sometiiiiiiiimes

I've noticed listings of Wild Woody for like $150 and see it is listed as ~$135. It has jumped 100 bucks in a year. I wonder if someone cornered the market on that pile of crap. I got it for 20 a year ago and that was too much.

Mzo is gonna be so bummed

Currently playing through Shining Force CD. Will post pics when I beat this bitch.

enjoy it man - i went from "3 campaigns? this won't end!" to wishing it went on longer

Laws00

I have a question

Do I really need the metal shield piece for the sega cd?

That being said. I don't know if my sega cd actually works. It belonged to a friend. That said friend let on of our other friends borrow it.

Years later the friend that borrowed the sega cd let me have system. It comes with no wires.

I've hooked it up with wires but I can't get it to come on. Maybe I don't have the proper wires for it.

Wondering if I should just a new one from eBay from some who has worked on them and replaced capacitors and the laser lense?

BTails

I have a question

Do I really need the metal shield piece for the sega cd?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the metal shield piece is only an RF shield, which means technically you wouldn't need it if you were using anyt video connector better than RF (RGB all the way to the BANK).

...That being said, I still have it on even though I'm rocking RGB out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the metal shield piece is only an RF shield, which means technically you wouldn't need it if you were using anyt video connector better than RF (RGB all the way to the BANK).

This is true. It's garbage mandated by the FCC. I usually throw mine out on consoles if I can.

IrishNinja

yeah, sega-16 has a thread on it too...i don't think it's actually important, but i recall the manual making you think it'd melt your house down without it, haha

SScorpio

Anyone successfully install one of these for their Sega CD Model 2? I've seen a few examples, but no real clear instructions. Do we just need the spindle or are other parts required? The reason I ask is the top portion of my Sega CD 2 broke into tiny bits :(

For-PSONE-CD-Laser-Disc-Holder-For-Playstation-1-font-b-PS1-b-font-Replacement-font.jpg

I can't say if it's the same on a Sega CD. But my PSX had the same issue. Installation was just sliding that down the spindle, nothing else was needed.

I don't think that's for RF interference. It's to help lock the console to the Sega CD unit.

This is true. It's garbage mandated by the FCC. I usually throw mine out on consoles if I can.

There's no reason to throw out shielding. Extra shielding is always good for analog signals and prevents error with high frequency digital signals.

I don't think that's for RF interference. It's to help lock the console to the Sega CD unit.

There's no reason to throw out shielding. Extra shielding is always good for analog signals and prevents error with high frequency digital signals.

I'll set up pirate radio stations in the woods if I want. FCC can't stop me.

Is the game 40+ hours long?

In total probably. The two main campaigns in Shining Force CD are remakes of the Game Gear releases so they are shorter than a normal Shining Force title. The third campaign is just fun fan service. It's been a while since I've played the third one since I use a Japanese backup RAM cart and it doesn't fit in my Genesis well. Altogether, it's probably slightly longer than Shining Force 2.

IrishNinja

This is why I haven't touched the game yet. Dragging my feet for some reason.

the campaigns themselves are well-partitioned and satisfying. honestly, i don't like putting RPG's down for long but Shining Force can be such an enveloping or pick-up-and-play type of experience for me.

Laws00

Got to find a sega MK 1602 adapter for my sega cd.

Maybe that will get it up and running

Hopefully this game store will have one and not these 3rd party off brands and I'm not sitting here spending 25 to 30 bucks on one

Top Bottom