• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Sonic CD turned 22 today. Well, the US version at least.

I wonder if it's the highest selling game on the platform?

Sewer Shark. (Only half joking...it's entirely possible)

Other guesses:
Tomcat Alley was pushed really hard.
Sonic CD is possible.
Also, Joe Montana CD football (or whatever it was actually called)

Maou

I wonder if the retro sales age thread has any data on best-selling SCD sofrware...
Interesting question! Depends on the region, since Mega Drive did so much better internationally and necessarily took Mega CD along with it. In Japan, Lunar 1 was ubiquitous. 100,000 copies sold, meaning more than 25% of all known MCD owners (approx. 380,000) had a copy, which explains why you see it everywhere used. Lunar 2 still managed 45,000 copies.

I suspect Sonic CD sold many fewer. Sonic 1 sold around 100,000 in Japan (out of 3.5 million Mega Drives), and unless Sonic 1 fans bought MCD's and Sonic CD on 1-to-1 ratio or there was a marketing push that somehow resulted in Sonic CD outselling Sonic 1, I would think that Lunar 1 handily outsold Sonic CD. Probably still had a decent number sold, though.

What else might be on top?

Never owned a Sega CD but did play one a couple of times when it launched. Always wanted one but never got around to it. Anyways, my pick up is no where near Jonneh3003 haul, but I saw a cheap listing for a boxed model 2 Sega CD that came with:

Sonic CD
Ecco the Dolphin
Silpheed
NBA Jam
Brutal
Jurrasic Park
Sewer Shark
Joe Montana Football

Several more games that I want but I think this is a good start. Excited to play Rebel Assault again. I owned it on the PC and loved it even if it was a POS lol

IrishNinja

goddamn, Tekno - how did you swing a manual-less Snatcher for $40? congrats man, that's amazing!

thought i did good a year or two back when i grabbed Cannon Spike & the JP Project Justice on amazon for like $25-30 each, but that's way better

Teknoman

goddamn, Tekno - how did you swing a manual-less Snatcher for $40? congrats man, that's amazing!

thought i did good a year or two back when i grabbed Cannon Spike & the JP Project Justice on amazon for like $25-30 each, but that's way better

Luck / timing I guess. The seller only has reviews from 2013, so I guess they aren't a regular. Just happened to check my wish list to see what prices were, and saw one was listed for 70 bucks (so 40 minus 30 bucks in reward points from my card). Also has Vay for some low price, so maybe they're just getting rid of stuff?

Also Stone Age Gamer says they'll replace my back up cart even though it's past warranty, so that's good. Said it could be a Pcb problem or the battery holder.

IrishNinja

Nice - what's a good price on Vay? Also I bought the case for Popful Mail of a gaffer a while back, should track down the loose disc one day

Sewer Shark. (Only half joking...it's entirely possible)

Other guesses:
Tomcat Alley was pushed really hard.
Sonic CD is possible.
Also, Joe Montana CD football (or whatever it was actually called)

Sewer Shark was a pack-in game in NA (Not sure about other parts of the world) for almost the entirety of the Sega's CD's retail life span. It possibly could be one of the most common Sega CD games in existence.

s_mirage

Excited to play Rebel Assault again. I owned it on the PC and loved it even if it was a POS lol

Well, you might be pleasantly surprised with that one. Okay, it looks significantly worse, but the console versions control so much better than the twitchy, awkward, autocentering even with a mouse, PC version.

Mzo

Wow. Never thought I'd want to try Rebel Assault again.

Beat it on the PC but the controls were a twitchy nightmare confirmed. Interesting.

Haha...damn. I think reviews in the day kept me away too, despite my post-Lunar WD love

I always liked Vay. its not great, but its fun enough, and pretty straight forward. The game's equivalent of metal babbles aren't too bad to fight either do late game grinding isn't awful. Story was by the numbers for the most part. Soundtrack wasn't bad...again middle of the road, but back in the day, you played whatever got brought out.

It's also kind of short for a 16-bit era RPG, so its actually one I've played through multiple times (because I've always owned multiple systems I rarely replay RPGs)..

Just landed a mark 2 Mega CD for a sweet price on ebay. Looking forward to it, I had one years ago, but I traded it off. Glad to bring this system back into my collection where it belongs.

thomasos

Speaking of Vay, I just picked this up.

OXrUSoC.jpg

It seems pretty mediocre thus far, but I'd been thinking I might go for a complete WD set anyway, so....

Here's the Sega CD collection as it stands now.

hBh1wpW.jpg

I'm getting reasonably close to having everything I want for the system (at least compared to other platforms). Remaining on the wish list are:

Amazing Spider-Man vs Kingpin
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Chuck Rock
Chuck Rock II
Dungeon Master II
Prince of Persia
Revengers of Vengeance
Sherlock Holmes Vol. II
The Terminator
Time Gal
Wild Woody

Any glaring omissions from that list? Or games people think I'm nuts to have on there?

Edit: Wow, the reflection of my hand looks super creepy in that Vay photo.

http://i.imgur.com/OXrUSoC.jpg[img]

It seems pretty mediocre thus far, but I'd been thinking I might go for a complete WD set anyway, so....

[img]http://i.imgur.com/hBh1wpW.jpg[img]

I'm getting reasonably close to having everything I want for the system (at least compared to other platforms). Remaining on the wish list are:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Chuck Rock
Chuck Rock II
Dungeon Master II
Prince of Persia
Revengers of Vengeance
Sherlock Holmes Vol. II
The Terminator
Time Gal
Wild Woody

Any glaring omissions from that list? Or games people think I'm nuts to have on there?

Edit: Wow, the reflection of my hand looks super creepy in that Vay photo.[/QUOTE]

I was jelly of the Vay, since I've been trying to get a good looking copy of it with the map for a while, but then became maximum jelly with the full collection picture.

Thanks for that. :c

cj_iwakura

OXrUSoC.jpg

hBh1wpW.jpg

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Chuck Rock
Chuck Rock II
Dungeon Master II
Prince of Persia
Revengers of Vengeance
Sherlock Holmes Vol. II
The Terminator
Time Gal
Wild Woody

Edit: Wow, the reflection of my hand looks super creepy in that Vay photo.

As fantastic as that collection is, you totally need Night Trap and Road Avenger.

Good on you for having Ground Zero Texas and Heart of the Alien, two of my favorites.

thomasos

As fantastic as that collection is, you totally need Night Trap and Road Avenger.

Good on you for having Ground Zero Texas and Heart of the Alien, two of my favorites.

Man, I love Heart of the Alien. Very underrated, overlooked gem. And Ground Zero Texas is probably my favorite FMV game (for what that's worth).

I do want the other two games you mentioned, but I'm planning to pick up Night Trap for 3DO and Road Avenger for my recently acquired Laseractive. I think those are supposed to be the superior versions. (Coincidentally, I did have both games for Sega CD when I was a kid, but I ended up trading them in; probably for Saturn stuff.)

IrishNinja

i really gotta take D Lo's advice and import Road Avenger for a dollar or so one day

totally getting back to Shining Force CD soon! also goes without saying but damn thomasos , your collection is crazy nice

oh and CJ, next time i see you you gotta put on a Ground Zero: Texas clinic man!

cj_iwakura

I know Road Avenger is the bees knees, but what about Cobra Command and Time Gal? Are they worth a play through?

They're both fun. Road Avenger is a classic.

Also, you gotta get the Red Box Night Trap. The only 'Sega Control Attack Team' version, and it's unrated. Literally, it has no rating on the box.

I'm sure it's going to be worth a mint one day, if it's not already.

Fun fact: 'Special Control Attack Team' is the original. They got the cast of SCAT back together years later to refilm a five minute scene for the Sega version.

They're both fun. Road Avenger is a classic.

Also, you gotta get the Red Box Night Trap. The only 'Sega Control Attack Team' version, and it's unrated. Literally, it has no rating on the box.

I never played Night Trap, always wanted to, definitely going to pick it up at some point.

cj_iwakura

Teknoman

Count me in the Vay owners too. Grabbed the one the seller with Snatcher had. Now i'll just keep an eye out for manuals. Snatcher...i'm content just to have it lol. I'm actually looking at Pitfall, Flashback, and Terminator for future purchases.

StevieWhite

Guys, I finished my piece on Fahrenheit... take a look if you are so inclined!

https://youtu.be/eFc_U9DRCZU

Weird issue I encountered: the audio I captured from the 32X CD version was kind of fuzzy, and didn't sound so hot. The theme song you hear in the above video was actually ripped from the Sega CD disc, which had much clearer audio (at least for the intro). I interposed that audio over the 32X theme sequence so it was a little more pleasant to listen to. Has anybody else played the game and experienced this? I'm not sure if this was a function of my connection or what... I suppose they could have compressed the audio to crummy levels to accommodate the better video for the 32X version. Weird stuff.

I had no idea that Sega CD/games were worth so much now. My gen 1 has been siting in a box at my parents house for years. I went & got it, tested it, and plan on selling it along with my 20 or so games now.

Genesis/Sega CD/32X was my absolutely favorite console(s) but man...if they want to offer me that much money for it, I can emulate them!

thomasos

Fun fact: 'Special Control Attack Team' is the original. They got the cast of SCAT back together years later to refilm a five minute scene for the Sega version.

That's the version I had; my brother and I got it (along with the Sega CD) for Christmas in 1992. My grandparents gave it to us, and my grandma was so upset with the content that she called Sega's customer hotline to yell at them. But we still got to keep the game.

StevieWhite

What are the key differences in Night Trap versions? I know some later releases had some minor content changes, but my recollection is that it really was so mild that very little was actually changed.

Timu

What are the key differences in Night Trap versions? I know some later releases had some minor content changes, but my recollection is that it really was so mild that very little was actually changed.
There are differences in colors, video window sizes, few re-recordings and resolutions from what I know.

Samuray

All those copies of "Snatcher" picked up for awesome prices make me sad I don't have it and maybe never will....not for that amount it goes for on eBay, anyway.

But great for you guys to have it! I'm jelly! :)
It's a gorgeous game, it seems.

cj_iwakura

There's never been any censorship, the game is laughably tame. The most gory thing you see is a SCAT guy being drained by the neck in a closet. All the girl deaths are nothing.

The only real changes are resolution(the PC/3D0 versions are yum), and the Sega/Special Control Attack Team stuff.

IrishNinja

Shining Force CD: Book 1 down! man, that last boss was kinda nasty, came down to my main & my tank and neither had another round or two in em.

this really does feel more like a sequel to 1 than 2 did, think ill play a bit more & then take a break from it again...how does this work, there's 3 books or something but you gotta beat the first 2 or what? cause i didnt even see it save when i beat 1.

Teknoman

Guys, I finished my piece on Fahrenheit... take a look if you are so inclined!

https://youtu.be/eFc_U9DRCZU

Weird issue I encountered: the audio I captured from the 32X CD version was kind of fuzzy, and didn't sound so hot. The theme song you hear in the above video was actually ripped from the Sega CD disc, which had much clearer audio (at least for the intro). I interposed that audio over the 32X theme sequence so it was a little more pleasant to listen to. Has anybody else played the game and experienced this? I'm not sure if this was a function of my connection or what... I suppose they could have compressed the audio to crummy levels to accommodate the better video for the 32X version. Weird stuff.

I gotta check to see if I added your channel to the retro gaf media list.

All those copies of "Snatcher" picked up for awesome prices make me sad I don't have it and maybe never will....not for that amount it goes for on eBay, anyway.

But great for you guys to have it! I'm jelly! :)
It's a gorgeous game, it seems.

Keep hope alive. I kept saying the same about Suikoden 2 and bam, one day someone had it on ebay for about 60 bucks or so complete. Same for Snatcher except on Amazon. It'll land for you one day and at a good price. It does look great though, and the soundtrack / voice acting are amazing imo.

StevieWhite

Keep hope alive. I kept saying the same about Suikoden 2 and bam, one day someone had it on ebay for about 60 bucks or so complete. Same for Snatcher except on Amazon. It'll land for you one day and at a good price. It does look great though, and the soundtrack / voice acting are amazing imo.

I would love to try playing Snatcher with a justifier. Too bad that experience is fast approaching "lost to time" status. Didn't support any other light guns, if I remember right.

I gotta check to see if I added your channel to the retro gaf media list

You are too kind, sir!

Mzo

I would love to try playing Snatcher with a justifier. Too bad that experience is fast approaching "lost to time" status. Didn't support any other light guns, if I remember right.

I've mentioned this before, but don't get too excited. You don't free shoot, there are still only 9 active squares on the screen with canned shot animations. It's more primitive than, say, Duck Hunt and nowhere near as fun.

Policenauts light gun is dope, though.

Teknoman

I've mentioned this before, but don't get too excited. You don't free shoot, there are still only 9 active squares on the screen with canned shot animations. It's more primitive than, say, Duck Hunt and nowhere near as fun.

PS1 version has light gun compatibility? Justifier or Guncon?

Mzo

I've only played the Saturn one, but that worked with the Stunner so maybe it has universal support on PS1 as well.

The first GunCon is still the dopest lightgun around.

Yeah, generally speaking, i can play the game with the controller without much issue. Don't worry too much about it.

Seller had it listed for $40 shipped. Only mention of the box having a crease. So I took a chance on it and offered $30 and he accepted. So happy, manual looks like it was never opened and the CDs are spotless.

Top Bottom