• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA confirms deal with Microsoft won't lead to Xbox exclusives

Chukhopops

It won't lead to exclusives but...

...will it lead to Game Pass day one releases?

🤔
You mean like Humankind, Football Manager 2022 and Total War Warhammer 3, literally two of the biggest Sega franchises at the moment? With the third one (Yakuza) having games added to GP around six months after launch?

That would obviously never happen imo.

cireza

SEGA games need to be on all platforms. Fuck this exclusive shit. It is in their strategy to expand to more platforms anyway, so it will benefit everyone.

If anything, this deal with Microsoft should help expand their series to PC and Xbox when they weren't there in the first place. This has already happened recently with Yakuza. My guess is that Altus games will follow suit, with SEGA behind them pushing for more multiplats. The move to UE for SMTV already speaks for itself.

Allandor

It won't lead to exclusives but...

...will it lead to Game Pass day one releases?

🤔
Why should it?
Last time I checked the Sony azure thing didn't lead to exclusives or gamepads titles from Sony. Azure is a separate division of Microsoft. Deals there won't affect anything. You might get better prices in other areas from Microsoft because you are already a big customer but that is all.

Woopah

This was obvious from the announcement. No idea people were being so positive that this was for anything more then Azure.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
THIS deal won't but the other deal where Microsoft buys SEGA next wednesday will definitely lead to Xbox exclusives.
Luck Fingers Crossed GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

Topher

Gold Member
You mean like Humankind, Football Manager 2022 and Total War Warhammer 3, literally two of the biggest Sega franchises at the moment? With the third one (Yakuza) having games added to GP around six months after launch?

All of that happened before Sega started "considering" working with Microsoft on Azure. Nothing in this possible deal mentioned Game Pass whatsoever.

Chukhopops

All of that happened before Sega started "considering" working with Microsoft on Azure. Nothing in this possible deal mentioned Game Pass whatsoever.
I know but I’m responding to someone asking if there will be day 1 Sega games on GP in the future, when it’s already happening today, partnership or not.

Total War Warhammer 3 on GP Day 1 a couple months after Football Manager day 1 is crazy, those are the best selling current series for Sega at the moment (36M and 33M lifetime sales).

Also Sega started using Azure in 2019 but that’s irrelevant.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I know but I’m responding to someone asking if there will be day 1 Sega games on GP in the future, when it’s already happening today, partnership or not.

Total War Warhammer 3 on GP Day 1 a couple months after Football Manager day 1 is crazy, those are the best selling current series for Sega at the moment (36M and 33M lifetime sales).

Also Sega started using Azure in 2019 but that’s irrelevant.

Fair enough. Only reason I responded was the fact that he asked if this deal "will lead to" more day one Game Pass. Nothing has been said by Sega or Microsoft that says one has anything to do with the other.

MaulerX

Why should it?
Last time I checked the Sony azure thing didn't lead to exclusives or gamepads titles from Sony. Azure is a separate division of Microsoft. Deals there won't affect anything. You might get better prices in other areas from Microsoft because you are already a big customer but that is all.

Why do people keep comparing Sony's Azure deal with Sega's? Sony is a platform holder while Sega is a third party company that had a pre-existing close relationship with MS.

Sony's deal with MS should not be viewed as a cookie cutter deal by which all other companies must abide by.

I posed it as a question for a reason, for upcoming titles. Because, we really don't know.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm laughting more at this "Super Game" their strategy mention.

Lmao to think Sonic, the trademark of Sega, is nothing but a tool to archieve this...whatever this super game is.

Topher

Gold Member
Why do people keep comparing Sony's Azure deal with Sega's? Sony is a platform holder while Sega is a third party company that had a pre-existing close relationship with MS.

Sony's deal with MS should not be viewed as a cookie cutter deal by which all other companies must abide by.

I posed it as a question for a reason, for upcoming titles. Because, we really don't know.

There are similarities and there are differences.

The Sega deal is following the exact same pattern as the Sony deal. Sega and Microsoft have agreed on a preliminary stage where the two will explore the technology for consideration in Sega's larger plans in cloud. I could change "Sega" to "Sony" in that sentence and it is just as true.

I agree it differs in that Sega had a pre-existing relationship with Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft's announcement was much more of a shock than this. Sega's games on Game Pass have been ongoing for some time now. The problem is people are just reading more into cloud partnership than there is, such as future "exclusives" (now debunked) or Total War Warhammer on Game Pass being related or some such nonsense. Some here are going to do a victory lap every single time a Sega game appears on Game Pass.

Youre Crazy GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:
Top Bottom