• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kunonabi

vmu is not part of the package sadly.

paid 180$ including shipping which ended up being super quick as made it to the states in like 2/3 days despite a much later estimate.

doesn't look too import friendly.

Bar81

vmu is not part of the package sadly.

paid 180$ including shipping which ended up being super quick as made it to the states in like 2/3 days despite a much later estimate.

doesn't look too import friendly.

Forget about the game if you don't know Japanese. That incredible VMU is sold separately (I have one).

kunonabi

Forget about the game if you don't know Japanese. That incredible VMU is sold separately (I have one).

Yeah, the vmu is really tempting. I'll probably start working on Segagaga after I finish Revive. Visual novels and rpgs/sims are so much more fun when using them for language study.

rallaren

What is this?
soeVnuD.jpg
Photoshop? Google leads me to april fools articles. It looks real so I guess it's just some media device with bluray and maybe it has Dreamcast games compability?

Recall

This arrived. It was only £7 and the only downside is the sticky price sticker still on the box but its CIB, spine card and all.

I now own all wrestling games released on the Sega Dreamcast :)

A77DEB84-2D88-4E89-8498-48DD4DBBB6ED-4491-000003CA9230C3E4_zps532839a6.jpg

kunonabi

This arrived. It was only £7 and the only downside is the sticky price sticker still on the box but its CIB, spine card and all.

I now own all wrestling games released on the Sega Dreamcast :)

A77DEB84-2D88-4E89-8498-48DD4DBBB6ED-4491-000003CA9230C3E4_zps532839a6.jpg

When you get a chance I could really use some impressions.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was bored so I decided to take a family picture. Or eight, rather.

Snip

The list of stuff I still want is so low it's hard to finish it off. Soon, though. Soon. When I'm finished I think I'm going to go through and replace every single jewel case, then put them in mylar bags.
Fun fact, the NA release of Virtua Fighter 3tb remains the best version of the game outside the original arcade release. The JP (and EU?) release amazingly lacked a 2P VS mode!

Which isn't to say that the NA version is actually a great port. It isn't- many visual effects, particularly stage effects, were removed from the home release. Keep in mind that VF3 came to arcades in 1996 - rumor has it, there was even a completed Saturn conversion!

Considering how great DoA2 and SC looked on the Dreamcast, it's somewhat disheartening that after 16 years, we still don't have an arcade perfect release of VF3. Many consider it the best game in the series.

Recall

When you get a chance I could really use some impressions.

Fun fact Toukon Retsuden 4 won't boot via DC-X or Utopia. Either the disc is faulty or this is the only game I've ever run across that won't boot :(

Seems the disc is borked. Not happy at all.

Birbo

Fun fact, the NA release of Virtua Fighter 3tb remains the best version of the game outside the original arcade release. The JP (and EU?) release amazingly lacked a 2P VS mode!

Which isn't to say that the NA version is actually a great port. It isn't- many visual effects, particularly stage effects, were removed from the home release. Keep in mind that VF3 came to arcades in 1996 - rumor has it, there was even a completed Saturn conversion!

Considering how great DoA2 and SC looked on the Dreamcast, it's somewhat disheartening that after 16 years, we still don't have an arcade perfect release of VF3. Many consider it the best game in the series.

Do you? I loved VF2 so much I bought a Saturn for $400 when it stealth launched. Think I actually saved money from going to the arcade and playing it there. Got VF3tb for my Dreamcast and it just didn't click for me. I have VF5 on my PS3, but it doesn't give me the feels the way VF2 did. Could just be my tastes have changed through the years.

Tain

VF3 is so good. I don't know, 2-5 are all really hard for me to rank.

I wish I had a clearer idea of why they dropped the complex arenas.

oneida

Do you? I loved VF2 so much I bought a Saturn for $400 when it stealth launched. Think I actually saved money from going to the arcade and playing it there. Got VF3tb for my Dreamcast and it just didn't click for me. I have VF5 on my PS3, but it doesn't give me the feels the way VF2 did. Could just be my tastes have changed through the years.
I haven't played enough of 3 to rank it justly, but from what I've seen of competitive 3 it's a much more interesting game than 2.

VF5FS is my favorite entry in the series.

The stages are pretty cool, aren't they? 3 feels like an odd duck because of the non symmetrical stages and the evade button, but that's more 4's fault for going "back to basics" I think.

If anyone is interested in VF3's history, there's a great Versus Battlecast on the subject with lots of footage captured from the Model 3 arcade board:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXMim20eNs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kunonabi

there was some really broken exploits with them. instead of fixing them they just dropped them and focused on being as technical as possible. as much love the newer games i can't help but wonder how things would have gone had suzuki stayed around. man, i might just pop in vf3 now.

sucks about touken. have you tried removing or inserting the vmu? i've had some games that wouldn't boot based on the presence of a vmu. i've also had some imports that only work with the gameshark.

kinn

I remember hearing about this. It used the 4mb cart as well? Heard it even used the Saturns sound chip to generate some of the graphics. God knows how much of this is true though. Would love to have see this.

Remember hearing that Sega had a demo of Scud Race on the DC to show how powerful it was....Wish there was a model 3 collection released.

canocha

Got a few more DC games!

83wBZ5v.jpg

I finished Silver on Dreamcast really nice games!
Played so goddamn much Looney Tunes Space Race and Wacky Racers! Fun games!

All games, except Sonic Shuffle, cost me 5€! Not bad!

I re-collected the games i owned, but i'll keep collecting a few more!

oneida

I remember hearing about this. It used the 4mb cart as well? Heard it even used the Saturns sound chip to generate some of the graphics. God knows how much of this is true though. Would love to have see this.

Remember hearing that Sega had a demo of Scud Race on the DC to show how powerful it was....Wish there was a model 3 collection released.
Feels like Bio Force Ape ;) hopefully a prototype Saturn VF3 shows up on eBay someday.

canocha

What just arrived today!!

VPKub0l.jpg

Customs got me and charged me with VAT!

Also got a 8 Dreamcast boxes to replace a few broken ones.

ArdfIOr.jpg

Wow. Feel kind of dumb. I've always put up with the Svideo connection on games that didn't support VGA. Finally got around to buying a SCART cable and the improvement is huge. Gunbird 2 now looks as good as Gunbird 1 on my SCART Saturn. :p

These two came in my mail a couple days ago, I usually do a stream on September 9th and I needed fresh content. They were used, came in paper sleeves, but the condition of the discs themselves is really good. Got them from Stone Age Gamer.

tumblr_ms7l8hk7iM1rr2g16o1_1280.jpg

I've heard Blue Stinger is bad to the point of being unintentionally hilarious, so fingers crossed

ChapaNDJ

Banned
This arrived today, you have no idea how happy i'am to have this game once again.
Its been like 10 years since i last played and sold the DC, but now i bought a DC again and got the game. Looking forward to get Shenmue 2.

My reaction while opening the package.
DV4Oyhx.gif

PeVCrgN.jpg

I0jyaKM.jpg

yVXJBSV.jpg

rcHhpb8.jpg

kH7yu1n.jpg

These two came in my mail a couple days ago, I usually do a stream on September 9th and I needed fresh content. They were used, came in paper sleeves, but the condition of the discs themselves is really good. Got them from Stone Age Gamer.

tumblr_ms7l8hk7iM1rr2g16o1_1280.jpg

I've heard Blue Stinger is bad to the point of being unintentionally hilarious, so fingers crossed

How do you like keeping the discs in the CD wallet? I'm thinking about doing this, the jewel cases are kinda annoying me. I guess I'm maybe feeding into some OCD but I can't stand the way these jewel cases scuff and crack and just look like shit when you buy them second hand.

I guess what I mean to say is (before I get lost on a tangent about how I hate jewel cases) - Do the wallets keep the discs well protected?

i'm down Sega1991, where's your stream gonna be?

Usually here:

http://www.twitch.tv/thelostskeleton

How do you like keeping the discs in the CD wallet? I'm thinking about doing this, the jewel cases are kinda annoying me. I guess I'm maybe feeding into some OCD but I can't stand the way these jewel cases scuff and crack and just look like shit when you buy them second hand.

I guess what I mean to say is (before I get lost on a tangent about how I hate jewel cases) - Do the wallets keep the discs well protected?

Haven't had too much trouble so far. Been using CD wallets to store my PS1/Dreamcast games since I was in high school.

So, I started playing EGG the other day, game is pretty decent. I'm liking it so far.

Quick question though. I know Hudson published it in Japan, but the game was made by a team called Birthday. Have they made anything else, and do they still exist?

MobyGames lists this one as being dev'd by them:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/daikaij-monogatari

GameFAQs has some additional ones:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10640.html
Thanks!

So from the looks of it, the only games they've done are obscure, Japanese-only RPGs. The last game they made was 13 years ago, meaning they don't exist anymore. That's a shame, I'll never be able to play their other stuff as my knowledge of the Japanese language extends solely to the phrase, 'do you speak English?'

Lame. :(

Dave Long

Banned
Fourteen years! Hard to believe. I still remember walking out of the store with my Dreamcast on launch day right before Best Buy closed for the day. I had to convince my wife at the time that it couldn't wait! lol!

IrishNinja

again, happy birthday little guy. i like to imagine if you'dve lived longer, wed've seen Planet Harrier, maybe Golden Axe: Death Adder and all kinds've cool stuff

again, happy birthday little guy. i like to imagine if you'dve lived longer, wed've seen Planet Harrier, maybe Golden Axe: Death Adder and all kinds've cool stuff

I doubt that. Dreamcast never saw any System 32 ports, and those games were quite old even by the time DC hit the market. Early Saturn would have been a better contender for Revenge of Death Adder, but obviously that didn't happen either.

Took my DC apart today to fix a yet again reoccurring problem of the system resetting itself, I did some fixes about 2 years ago but this time I fully took the system apart and cleaned everything using compressed air, cocktail sticks and kitchen towel :p

It works right now so I at least put it back together correctly!

Pqh1fSj.jpg

Mzo

The reset problem is mainly that giant 6-pin connector right there. If you clean it up well and maybe even bend it a little towards the back of the console you should be good.

The reset problem is mainly that giant 6-pin connector right there. If you clean it up well and maybe even bend it a little towards the back of the console you should be good.

yeah did that, but for a PAL machine you pull the pins forward otherwise you make it worse!

Took my DC apart today to fix a yet again reoccurring problem of the system resetting itself, I did some fixes about 2 years ago but this time I fully took the system apart and cleaned everything using compressed air, cocktail sticks and kitchen towel :p

It works right now so I at least put it back together correctly!

Pqh1fSj.jpg

The Dreamcast is one of the easier systems to take apart. To remedy a sporadically-functioning controller port, I glued a school eraser to the top of the first controller port so that pressure would be applied when I put the case back together. It's still working perfectly, surprisingly.

My original DC has a blown port fuse, at the time I had no idea what was wrong so bought this DC I have now which has a little yellow tint going on. One day I will dig out my mint original and fix the port fuse via replacing it or you can remove the fuse and connect the metal together as I read that also works fine, so why even use a fuse?

Been playing PSO for the last 45 mins, no reset yet.

I also wish that I bought a VGA box back when I used the DC as a main console, back then I would always pass up buying one because for the same price I could buy a new game, hey I was 17 so I thought like an 17 year old :p

Only got my hands on a VGA box at the end of last year, games look so good it's sad when shit ports of DC games look like wank compared to the real deal.

Top Bottom