• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new game. Exciting!

A Japanese company randomly going crazy on YouTube after years of ignoring it? Well I never.

That really, really sucks for content creators, though, since any copyright claims negatively affects your ability to post videos, especially ones longer than 15 minutes.

cicero

Yeah, I can see how outright stealing Sega's IP and doing whatever with it is exactly the same as posting a video of someone playing a game made by Sega...
"It does not use reverse engineering nor a single line of code from the original games. It's all based on visual interpretation,"...

Meicyn

Gold Member
Some people in this thread seem to be confused.

Sega is not deleting videos of their new game Shining Ark but of videos for the old shining games Shining Force 3 and, probably more importantly, Shining The Holy Ark. Due to the similar names, you get more results for their old games than you get for the new game when searching on YouTube. This is something they want to stop, since they apparently regard YouTube as an important part of their marketing, but don't care for neither the old Shining games nor the fanbase of these games -- to the point that they would rather destroy the work of these passionate hardcore fans.
I've added your synopsis to the first post, hope you don't mind. It encapsulates things perfectly.

Mesoian

So when the game sells negative copies because of this, who's left to blame?

THE DEVELOPERS! Because surely they're responsible for not getting out into the streets and telling people why people should buy their games! Meanwhile Sega continues getting fat off Pachinko sales and licensing.

Link1110

Sega is not deleting videos of their new game Shining Ark but of videos for the old shining games Shining Force 3 and, probably more importantly, Shining The Holy Ark. Due to the similar names, you get more results for their old games than you get for the new game when searching on YouTube. This is something they want to stop, since they apparently regard YouTube as an important part of their marketing, but don't care for neither the old Shining games nor the fanbase of these games -- to the point that they would rather destroy the work of these passionate hardcore fans.

Why does this sound like something Sega, the company who could've destroyed Game Boy Color simply by continuing to release Genesis games onto the Nomad and who would go third party a few years later even though they had this opportunity, would do?

You hear about 13 year old fanboys on the internet all the time. I WAS one of those when Genesis was big., How far Sega has fallen.

Takao

Banned
Yeah wow, I didn't know they made all of these lmao. I'm pretty behind when it comes to PSP RPGs, but the fact that this one is being called a "fantasy life RPG because players can spend time baking bread or watering vegetables" really gets me excited. I'm pretty much dying for new Harvest Moon esque stuff on the PSP or Vita, although I doubt we'll be seeing anything like that tailor made for the Vita for quite some time :(

SEGA is still making too many PSP games. Part of me fully expects Yakuza Black Panther 3 to be announced for PSP once Yakuza 5 ships. Just to put a dagger in people's hearts, Valkyria Chronicles 4. : /

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
"It does not use reverse engineering nor a single line of code from the original games. It's all based on visual interpretation,"...

Yeah... They used the music, and sprite rips. It played the same, and they used the same characters. They called it Streets of Rage Remake for shit's sake. (Psst. Sega can copyright more than just the code.)

They were actively taking an existing IP for their own use. It wasn't a question of if Sega would demolish their house of cards, it was a question of when.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

thanks for clarifying. It does make a tiny bit of sense now, but it's still utter shite. They already bollicksed the marketing because hype generates hype, and cutting off the nostalgia factor is just awful planning

Bgamer90

Banned

Sega is not deleting videos of their new game Shining Ark but of videos for the old shining games Shining Force 3 and, probably more importantly, Shining The Holy Ark. Due to the similar names, you get more results for their old games than you get for the new game when searching on YouTube.

Wouldn't it cause links to the new games either way (e.g.: via "related videos")?

If something is currently being promoted and has YouTube videos, it usually gets high spots in many search results and/or "related" sections on videos with similar name(s) that are in the same genre.

For example, some (old) user videos of Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing currently have links to videos of Sonic Racing Transformed. Similar name, same genre (video gaming).

Xater

That's utterly disgusting. Youtube is not your private marketing platform and it is also not and it is even worse how they treat fans of their games.

Takao

Banned
The weird thing is SEGA doesn't write the Japanese names of these games in English outside of the logo (notice how the OP's video is titled "シャイニング・アーク" instead of "Shining Ark"), and I doubt you guys are using kanji for tags.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Way to go Sega, fucking with your fans is a sure way to get more sales

Can someone tell me how this is even legal (on Youtube)? How can Sega just force people to delete videos of their games?

That's utterly disgusting. Youtube is not your private marketing platform and it is also not and it is even worse how they treat fans of their games.

Even worse is that they're doing it to people like TotalBiscuit who have licences to use Sega content in their videos, it's apparently just one guy doing this, some guy going around getting youtube accounts banned

Can someone tell me how this is even legal (on Youtube)? How can Sega just force people to delete videos of their games?

Technically you can't upload videos without permission usually this isn't a problem unless you try to make money from it, which you need a licence to do, but Sega is taking down video of people who have licences anyway!

Skyzard

Banned
Pretty surprising...hope they learn not to fuck their fans over quickly. Ah ^ that wouldn't surprise me either but why haven't all the reports caught up to him by now. Surely must have been instructed to do it.

Talk about SEO gone horribly, horribly wrong. Completely bonkers to attack your own fans like that, particularly for a cult series that needs every bit of nostalgic messaging it can get.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

It's their intelectual property.

YouTube isn't some bastion of freedom from copyrights and trademarks.

Geoff9920

Sega making copyright claims on these videos makes absolutely no sense. They're getting free advertising from it and all things considered they could really use it.

cicero

Yeah... They used the music, and sprite rips. It played the same, and they used the same characters. They called it Streets of Rage Remake for shit's sake. (Psst. Sega can copyright more than just the code.)

They were actively taking an existing IP for their own use. It wasn't a question of if Sega would demolish their house of cards, it was a question of when.

http://www.bombergames.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69449#p69449
I would like to say that we did actually contact Sega last year through an e-mail message regarding the use of copyrighted material, to which they answered asking us to send a formal letter to their legal department, so that's what we did.
We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well, otherwise this website would not exist anymore.
So they waited until a day before they released an expensive crap port of Streets of Rage 2 on iPhone and iPod touch to finally shut them down when they had full knowledge for at least three years back to 2008? How magnanimous of them.

Coxy

Sega literally attempting to destroy the memory of their old great shining games to sell their new shitty shining games. :/

I'm not surprised given the history of the people making the new shining games viewing old fans as "enemies" who were "holding them back from success"

Takao

Banned
Talk about SEO gone horribly, horribly wrong. Completely bonkers to attack your own fans like that, particularly for a cult series that needs every bit of nostalgic messaging it can get.

Well ... OP and this TotalBiscut guy probably weren't going to buy the newest Shining games anyways, on account of them only being released in Japan.

Shion

Good work Sega...

A minor, J-only, release that isn't going to sell more than a few thousand copies isn't worth all this trouble.

Rootbeer

Banned
Disrespecting the fanbase is the exact opposite of successfully marketing your new game. That shit doesn't fly today when word spreads fast about this sort of stuff. Sega is going to regret this.

Mesoian

It's their intelectual property.

YouTube isn't some bastion of freedom from copyrights and trademarks.

You're right. (For the most part)

Sega has all the right in the world to drive their IP's into the fucking dirt so hard and so fast that people don't even realize they're still making games anymore.

You're right. (For the most part)

Sega has all the right in the world to drive their IP's into the fucking dirt so hard and so fast that people don't even realize they're still making games anymore.

Not really new ground there, just look at what they have done to franchises like phantasy star. Sega can really make some baffling decisions, they are extremely talented at alienating there fan bases.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Shitty thing to do by sega :/

The intellectual property excuse also doesn't fly here because they're doing this to only one franchise. If they actually believed that PR bull then youtube would be stripped of all Hatsune Miku vids and you'd get a real shitstorm.

Takao

Banned
Good work Sega...

A minor, J-only, release that isn't going to sell more than a few thousand copies isn't worth all this trouble.

Actually, the previous two Shining games both cleared 150k in Japan with ease. That's good money for a hungry SEGA.

Well ... OP and this TotalBiscut guy probably weren't going to buy the newest Shining games anyways, on account of them only being released in Japan.

The new Shining games are only a miniscule part of the equation. These people are not going to be buying (or in TB's case, showcasing) any Sega games. Why bother supporting a company that shut down or (in TB's case) severely-handicapped their Youtube channel?

Oh Sega, on one hand you patch NiGHTS to address the complaints of a few hundred people and on the other, you punish your fans for promoting your games via YouTube vids.

Sega giveth, Sega taketh away!

£50 this new game isn't a patch on Shining the Holy Ark or Shining Force III.

Videogame Marketeers strike again. A pustulant boil on the videogame industry - to be lanced forthwith before the body is poisoned any further.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Shitty thing to do by sega :/

The intellectual property excuse also doesn't fly here because they're doing this to only one franchise. If they actually believed that PR bull then youtube would be stripped of all Hatsune Miku vids and you'd get a real shitstorm.

If they stated going after Miku, watch the fan rage increase a thousand fold.

For most us Americans, it is our only exposure to the game since Sega refuses to license it for the West.

Takao

Banned
The new Shining games are only a miniscule part of the equation. These people are not going to be buying (or in TB's case, showcasing) any Sega games. Why bother supporting a company that shut down or (in TB's case) severely-handicapped their Youtube channel?

It's not like there's going to be many English SEGA games to boycott anyways.

It's a little silly to see the people in the OP talk about boycotting Sega. I'm pretty sure that's what they want in the first place.

It just sucks Sega is able to just remove content like that. If other companies decide to do the same it would be a mess.

Omikaru

There's an interesting comment on Eurogamer that may shed some light on this situation:

This started back in August with the same 'Sega' user filing copyright complaints against videos on the Shining Force SOS YouTube account - which is totally ridiculous as the videos were of people (Shining Force fans, specifically) saying who they are and that they love Shining Force. I'm not sure how Sega can claim to own the rights to videos of these people. They only targetted a few videos, primarily those posted by Shining ROM hackers, myself (Shining Force Central creator) and an editor from GamesTM magazine whose opinion I guess holds some weight too.

It would seem to stem from an altercation between Japanese fans of the 'new' Shining series from 2chan who took a dislike to 'classic' series fans supporting the SF:SOS campaign. This original altercation led to a misunderstanding with Sega and consequently bad feelings (being conveyed in less than polite way, which I have been warned not to post publically) from Sega Japan's Shining producer towards myself and the SFC community.

It may well be the folks from 2chan trying to stir things up again - though how they managed to get an official Sega Japan email address on their YouTube account is unknown. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which videos get flagged and they certainly don't all even include gameplay footage and some include little more than a logo or the mention of the words 'Shining Force'.

Top Bottom