• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Sega let's Atlus development to do their thing like Creative Assemblies. No doubt niche publisher Atlus is dead. That would disappoint me more if those titles made it out of the US but, oh well. I'm envisioning much better distribution for Atlus' bigger titles. I hope Sega can at least manage that.

Enjoy the Atlus games you have now because Sega is going to be pretty much Japan only.

Do you know this for a fact? SEGA knows what it got, and they been very good at letting their newly acquire teams do what they do. SEGA even went as far to grab the Warhammer IP to give it back to CA if I remember correctly. It's better in the hands of SEGA than any other Japanese company...

A quote from reddit to EASE you guys a bit

"There's a misunderstanding here, partially because the title is misleading. Sega did not purchase Atlus, Sega Sammy Holdings did (or, more correctly, Sega Sammy Holdings purchased Index, the previous owner of Atlus). Sega Sammy Holdings is a holdings company like Index. While Sega Sammy does own Sega, Atlus is not owned by the Sega that makes Sonic games. Essentially, nothing has changed for Atlus.
Edit: Here's a link to an English story on this"

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/17/sega-sammy-buys-atlus-parent-company-index-holdings/

dkoy

"There's a misunderstanding here, partially because the title is misleading. Sega did not purchase Atlus, Sega Sammy Holdings did (or, more correctly, Sega Sammy Holdings purchased Index, the previous owner of Atlus). Sega Sammy Holdings is a holdings company like Index. While Sega Sammy does own Sega, Atlus is not owned by the Sega that makes Sonic games. Essentially, nothing has changed for Atlus.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/17/sega-sammy-buys-atlus-parent-company-index-holdings/

If you read the official doc. that OP linked to, you'll see that it was actually Sega and not Sega Sammy Holdings that bought Index.

Owwari

Banned
I was THIS CLOSE to buy a 2DS/3DS for future Atlus JRPG goodness but now I'm re-considering it since I won't be satisfied with them stopping at Millennium Girl.
And I hate myself for it because I want Atlus to get my money, but it won't come that easily.

McNum

Sounds good to me. At least Sega has a European branch. And aren't in the habit of region locking PS3 games. So, good news all around there. It's not like the situation can get any worse with Index from a European point of view, anyway.

So, let's see if Sega can manage to keep delays down to less than a year between US and EU releases. Something Index usually failed at. And now Index is no more. Food for thought.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

That story is out of date.

I was THIS CLOSE to buy a 2DS/3DS for future Atlus JRPG goodness but now I'm re-considering it since I won't be satisfied with them stopping at Millennium Girl.

And I hate myself for it because I want Atlus to get my money, but it won't come that easily.

Yeah. I'm still considering it for SMTIV though.

IrishNinja

^good post from P&B

What if it does come out but only because sony step in?

I admire your optimism but as a fan of sega's own JRPG IP I just cant share it, which of their JRPG brands do you think they've done a good job of managing worldwide? Shining Force? Dragon Force? Valkyria? 7th Dragon? Phantasy Star?

honestly, that might be the only way it happens. the WU sales do not paint a picture where nintendo should even consider it, but most of the base/advertising out there for many years has been sony platforms anyway. i mean, look at the LE console bundles several titles saw, there's got to be a lotta pluses to that relationship.

and ill bite!

Shining Force

i am totally not qualified to comment here, havnet played one since...Sega-CD? i saw a host of them for PS2 but it looked to me like the series had drastically changed. i fell off when we never saw the complete 3 for saturn. i know there's an arcade title recently?

Dragon Force?

has there been a single one since the Saturn? that system got botched here so bad, its amazing NiGHTs and a few others made it out alive.

Valkyria?

1 was fantastic, and during a point when PS3 needed that...but didn't it sell terribly? i was surprised we got a 2 (handheld made sense), much less a 3. i'm getting Clover flashbacks here trying to think of any pub that would've kept it going, honestly. though a good reply here might be Atlus, haha

7th Dragon?

given the talent (<3 kodama!), this was an honest tragedy. this not making it where Infinite Space and others did still confuses me (not a shot on Space, mind you)

Phantasy Star?

as a big fan: i hope the series proper stays done at 4. perfect ending to wrap it up, and i don't want teams decades removed revisiting it. but given the success of PSO as a franchise, and the fact that vita's seeing a stand-alone single player, this might be their best one, however delayed PSO2 is for a date here at the moment.

Jack Frost in Sega All-Stars Racing?

yeah, i saw this as inevitable at the announcement, haha

better that than the penis persona guy

Axass

I would have preferred (1) Nintendo buying it, or (2) Sony buying it.

I don't get good vibes from Sega, I'm not sure they'll be able to manage Atlus's brands in an appropriate way. I guess that this is good for Sega, since they really needed the kind of quality brands produced by Atlus, after they've run to the ground or completely forgotten many of theirs. This is also good for some fans of their series, the ones who don't/won't own both Sony and Nintendo systems, since they won't go 1st party.

megalowho

I honestly won't know what to think at least until Persona 5 is announced. Don't want to harp on it but that game has far too much mystery wrapped around it already, this just takes it to another level.

I love what Atlus USA brings to the table and I don't think that fits in at all with Segas current trajectory. I really hope this works out for everyone, and selfishly for westerners that want to play creative and unique Atlus games.

Neutral on this. If Sega lets Atlus USA localize some of their games, its good. If they go Japan exclusive, well fuck. That would suck.

Highly unlikely things would stay exactly the same.

Cornbread78

no, with their WU efforts i think they're currently committed to only one struggle at a time, but that doesn't mean the sky's not falling necessarily

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, Virtua Tennis, Super Money Ball, and Jet Set Radio HD say yes. IIRC SEGA has been a bigger supporter of Vita than Wii U and 3DS.

OK, good to hear, too bad, I've only played JSR because of PS+. With them obtaining all teh IP, what are the chances of them moving some of those RPG titles to the VITA as well as the 3DS? Now that could get me excited for this.....

LiK

I don't hate SEGA like some Gaffers here but their localization efforts have been subpar lately. I'm worried about future Atlus IPs.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
what a way to start my morning.....i swear if Persona(of SMT in general) goes the way of Valkyria Chronicles....

well I guess it's really time to take on that japanese class...-_-

luca1980

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
what i wanted to say is that given the total absence of persona 5 news from a while this news of atlus isn't such a thing to worry about...we don't even know how far they are in development or where they are developing (probably ps3 given catherine but who knows...)

jcm

It's hard to imagine this being anything but detrimental in some form, unfortunately. Was there anything Atlus was doing that any of us were upset about? There really wasn't a single thing I would have wanted changed.

The only region-locked PS3 game, lack of European support, incredibly unproductive console development. Yes, I'd like to see some changes. Atlus has been a big disappointment to me for quite a while.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some scary sounding stuff in the OP.

I wouldn't worry about localizations unless they close Atlus USA, and that would be dumb if that arm is profitable. But who knows. I think the amount of control and expectations Sega will have over development is the bigger concern. Could be anywhere from negligible to devastating.

That story is out of date.

Well crap

So that sucks

I guess we will see how the future for them goes.

I haven't been too happy with Sega's decisions lately. Particularly their inability to localize PSO2, rerelease Skies of Arcadia, not putting PSP2/Valkyria2 on PSN and Not localizing Valkyria 3

Nope instead we get hatsune miku, sonic, and some total war rome games

DSveno

Banned
Personally I was rooting for Namco Bandai, they don't have the best track record but as a publisher they are okay. I wanted Namco to act in this way; someone to leave Atlus to do their own thing, just fund and publish - a pipe dream, I know.
None of this "revitalisation" bullshit. Atlus' games have older game mechanics and design choices, I'm worried that they will be watered down to accommodate larger audiences. Or in the event their game designs don't change, they are no longer deemed suitable for western audiences.

Sorry, but Namco Bandai is the reason I studied Japanese. I love their games, and none of those came out in English.

Cornbread78

They've published 6 games and at least 5 are coming according to gamefaqs.

But not the one we all want in Phantasy Star, lol... just saying. I was corrected a few post ago with games that I'm not really interested in, however, if they started to port more jrpgs * caugh, Valkyria Chronicles, cough* and some of the Atlus jrpgs onto VITA, then this could be a very good merger for jrpg lovers that own VITAs.

Well crap

So that sucks

I guess we will see how the future for them goes.

I haven't been too happy with Sega's decisions lately. Particularly their inability to localize PSO2, rerelease Skies of Arcadia, not putting PSP2/Valkyria2 on PSN and Not localizing Valkyria 3

Nope instead we get hatsune miku, sonic, and some total war rome games
Valkria 2 is on PSN. It's been on there for a long while now.

wrowa

I'm optimistic on this, really. I'm confident that Sega will manage Atlus relatively hands-off, so that we won't see a lot of changes in their games. However, the crucial question is the fate of Atlus US. If Sega decides to close it down, then we'll face a catastrophe.

But, honestly, why would they? The US business seems to be doing fine and since Atlus USA is a smaller company, they can operate soundly with smaller profits in mind. Why would Sega mess with a working system like that? To the contrary, it might actually give them the chance to let Atlus localize some Sega games that aren't worthwhile for Sega America to localize on their own.

I'm optimistic on this, really. I'm confident that Sega will manage Atlus relatively hands-off, so that we won't see a lot of changes in their games. However, the crucial question is the fate of Atlus US. If Sega decides to close it down, then we'll face a catastrophe.

But, honestly, why would they? The US business seems to be doing fine and since Atlus USA is a smaller company, they can operate soundly with smaller profits in mind. Why would Sega mess with a working system like that? To the contrary, it might actually give them the chance to let Atlus localize some Sega games that aren't worthwhile for Sega America to localize on their own.

This occured to me but seems like a pipe dream

Would love to see them use Atlus to push and localize many of the game that they refuse to do themselves

Thanks alot GAF. This thread has me all paranoid about localization and production of Atlus games in the future. I just hope Etrian Odyssey, SMT, and Devil Survivor game continue to be made.

Soul Hackers is coming out in Europe this Friday.

Oh, I know, as I'll buy it at launch. Just saying that it makes little sense to release all games this close to each other, especially when Europe has Pokémon, Zelda and Bravely Default for the rest of the year.

Pachael

It's a net positive for me only due to the 'it could be worse' scenarios, like if J Trust Co had won.

Nonetheless, looking forward to the crossovers and hoping that Sega (consumer) will be convinced that there is a well looked small/mid tier segment both in Japan and the rest of the world will fork out money for.

Zebetite

Banned
Wouldn't we be hearing in the next little while whether or not Atlus USA will continue to, like, be a company?

I mean, if Atlus USA continues to receive funding and is allowed to operate in any potential at all we probably won't have much to worry about in the immediate future. If we hear that Atlus USA is shutting down then we can go full-on "Sky is Falling"-mode.

As a kind of best-case scenario, a real wish-fulfilment fantasy sort of thing, maybe Atlus USA does not vanish but instead grows a bit and is allowed to localize even more niche titles that Sega doesn't want us to have, like Yakuza and VC and Phantasy Star. That probably won't happen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom