• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn turned 29 today

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They'll probably just do a tweet. But if it coincides with new Sakura Wars maybe they'll bring Segata Sanshiro and/or son back again like they did for the Sega 60 stuff a while ago. Shame it didn't become an ongoing thing really but it wasn't as cool as the original campaign anyway with the son.

Crazy Sakura Wars went action instead of do something with a Valkyria Chronicles style take on the originals. And even its action was so basic. Oh well. At least we're finally getting fan translations of the originals. I hope we get to 3 and 4 eventually in the not too distant future (and Princess Crown!).

I hope iPlaySega compiles a new video for the 30th.

Also I want a fighting game take on their Namco x Sega x Capcom (and x Nintendo!) j/srpg Project X Zone thing (even if in the first iteration a bunch of the characters have to be a 3rd helper like MvC2 or Smash Bros. style non playables) :p

Last edited:
It's wild how just much better and more varied the Saturn's library is compared to the N64's. I mean sure, we all loved mario and zeldo, but once you're done with those there's basically nothing left on that thing.
Now 400 years later, people are still digging up obscure gems on the Saturn. The fan translation scene has finally picked up a little too.
It's the system that keeps on giving.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some cool footage here (in how well it all works, not their playing skill, they seem like total noobs oblivious to the basics of the game, but whatever).

Last edited:

Crayon

There are some games I'm never going to pay for, no matter how much money I have. So I tried to burn something and it didn't work. Which reminded me that I've never been able to make it work and I spent hours trying.

Which reminded me that was a long time ago and I have money now so I just paid someone to do it lol.

Alpha 3, here I come!

It's wild how just much better and more varied the Saturn's library is compared to the N64's. I mean sure, we all loved mario and zeldo, but once you're done with those there's basically nothing left on that thing.
Now 400 years later, people are still digging up obscure gems on the Saturn. The fan translation scene has finally picked up a little too.
It's the system that keeps on giving.
I can think of a few:
GoldenEye
jimmy fallon n64 GIF by Supercompressor

Resident Evil 2
video games GIF

Diddy Kong Racing
8305521092edbb16210523896029f80d.gif

P.S. The Saturn does have some impressive arcade ports though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I know very little about the Saturn. Would love a good collection or a Mini version, please move on from the Genesis already, Sega.
Not going to happen. It would be too expensive compared to size of the audience and a lot of good titles are in Japanese or will be hard to get a license for (Capcom stuff).

Crayon

Let me chat!

405fcf85-184f-4346-9143-20e3bf9f0765_text.gif

I almost bought a second ASCII stick last night. I was just thinking how nice it looks and how it completes the neo geo aesthetic.

But I'm never going to get to use both. :lollipop_downcast_sweat: A fleeting thought that of playing some game with a friend who would rather use a Saturn pad is not a good reason to spend on that.

I don't even think it's a great stick but I was so close to buying before my brain kicked in.

Sega treats Western consumers as second class.

I mean how many real fans are there among us? so we can think together how to draw Sega's attention to the reality of nostalgia for the Sega Saturn. We need to make noise outside of their social media, where they just suffocate, mutate fans' comments when they tell the truth, we don't want to be second-class consumers, buying Sonic in the West to sponsor the creation of arcade games only in Japan, while for us nothing, not even a Saturn mini.
Only a true fan will understand me and will understand that we shouldn't wait for the initiative to come from Sega.

Top Bottom