• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

Die Squirrel Die said:
Would a modern take on Shenmue really be a behemoth? By modern standards the scale of Shenmue is tiny, and I find it hard to fathom how it would be this mega project when Sega seem to be quite happy to sell 500k copies of Yakuza3, which seems to my untrained eye to be roughly similar in scope.

Yeah, I've always wondered why SEGA can't recycle assets from Yakuza's engine. Hell, you could easily just do a skin job on it and it would be fine.

Himuro said:
That twist was okay. I just don't want a Shenmue game full of mysticism. In gulps it's cool, like when Shenhua blows a bunch of flowers or whatevah with one of her farts, but a whole game dedicated to it?
:(
Yes, See Indigo Prophecy. I can deal with a little because in the end Shenmue is really a Hong Kong action movie. I mean I've seen tons of great modern day (made in the second golden age from the early 1980s to 1997) Hong Kong films that used magic and it worked fine. Then again Sammo Hung isn't making this game. :lol

riskVSreward said:
NO YOU CANNOT!

:lol
Seriously, I mean considering how fast Yakuza 4 was made after Yakuza 3, the engine must be pretty well developed and easy to work with.

jay

Himuro said:
That's what I'm saying. I'm fine with magic in gulps so long as it doesn't become a central part of the story.

The way the whole mirror thing was going wasn't good for us. The story stated the owner of both mirrors would be able to destroy the world. Seemed like Lan Di would end up with the mirrors, summon a dragon or something stupid, Ryo would have to fight it and save all of mankind.

Not exactly the personal revenge tale I was hoping for, but then maybe I'm wrong.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah, I've always wondered why SEGA can't recycle assets from Yakuza's engine. Hell, you could easily just do a skin job on it and it would be fine.

So with ya on that one considering Yakuza seems an updated version of Shenmue

Vinci

Danish
Himuro said:
That would be soooo dumb.

I don't know. Sounds fun to me. But then I found Shenmue boring back when it first came out. So yeah, a dragon might be the kick in the pants needed.

Scribble

Ryo probably wouldn't have ended up killing Lan Di anyway, with the whole Xiuying deal in Shenmue 2. 'Revenge is not the way!' And all of that

There's actually people in here defending the magic stuff? Go get your fix elsewhere, like 80% of other games. Shenmue = realism.

Good thing Shenmue Online never came out. (in the way they had it planned with hadoukens at least)

jetsetfluken said:
There's actually people in here defending the magic stuff? Go get your fix elsewhere, like 80% of other games. Shenmue = realism.

Good thing Shenmue Online never came out. (in the way they had it planned with hadoukens at least)
So what are you proposing? That we talk about Shenmue 3 without mentioning THE GIANT FLOATING SWORD AND MAGIC FUCKING CAVE? Just act like that didn't happen? Shenmue = game.

Vinci

Danish
Himuro said:
This is me.

gun-to-head.jpg

I think you're taking this a touch too seriously. This is a game. I'm not suggesting that they should make another and shit all over the prior titles just to piss off its dedicated fanbase, but apparently it was already heading in that direction and the point is to make something that is enjoyable and marketable.

Himuro said:
Oh come on. Who cares. You'd still have to fight him. The whole series is building up to this moment where Ryo is gonna have to square off with Lan Di, face to face. Being able to go from a scrub in 2 to being able to fight a master like Lan Di - who killed your pops - would be so satisfying.

It'd be like Luke in Return of the Jedi. It'll show much he's grown as a character.

He'd probably beat the shit out of Lan Di, realize the error of his ways, which would backfire resulting in Lan Di almost killing Ryo. Ren ends up killing Lan Di himself with a fucking knife or something, don't ask I'm making this up on the spot. Ryo returns to Japan, end credits, happy ending.

That would be infinitely more satisfying than fighting some lame ass dragon.
You probably wouldn't directly fight the dragon, but rather destroy the mirror or whatever it's life force is. You yank the mirror from Lan Di's corpse and give it a Hazuki Drop FTW.

lachesis

Jcgamer60 said:
Why don't we just call it something other than Shenmue while we're at it. Sheesh....

So in your opinion, Shenmue doesn't need any updates to appeal more to the mass, except graphics?

Backflip said:
Never make a Shenmue game. Please.

I like the Yakuza series a lot but that's not the kind of experience I'm looking for while playing Shenmue. I like being able to look into a random drawer or to talk to everybody.

Yes. I like them too. But if the reducing the cost makes the better chance of getting it re-made, it's a worthy sacrifice to me to see the end of Ryo and Shenhua's adventure. Also, I don't see why it can't be simplified. Simplified control of selecting an object to interact. Opening and searching it is one thing, it's too complicated at the moment. first you have to zoom, guide wait till it locks to the certain object, press button to grab it, and you can rotate it around to see all 360 degree of the object... I think they spent little too much on such details.

Yes, the details are what makes the Shenmue tick, but it's also one of the things that brought down Shenmue all together. They need to find a better balance - especially economically and all.

ajim said:
:lol @ "As a Shenmue fan"

You can call me a "desperate" shenmue fan, because I'm dying to see the end.

I have 2 DC's dedicated for Shenmue I and II, US, JP, and European versions. I even have Xbox for Shenmue II. A lot of the times, I have max items, including those damn gachapons and I even have slot certificates, 1 coin finish certificates for most arcade games, etc. I stopped playing Shenmue II for Xbox, though - because I knew once I finish the game, there will be no more of Shenmue in my life... even though I've finished the DC version of Shenmue II (European and JP ver) several times before.

Yes. I think I'm a pretty certifiable Shenmue fan. It always gets my heart pumping, just to hear the possiblity of Shenmue III.

--------------------------------------------

Also they need a serious re-write on the script, especially Ryo. Yes, Nozomi's worried about Ryo's vengence - but as a player, I don't see such desire in Ryo at all. Always so polite to everyone, doing dishes and all. I'd liked to see a funeral scene. I'd like to see some desperation on Ryo's end. But what does he do in the game? He dreams about a man in silk dress, like he's masterbating or something, then with just a plain face, he walks off to seek a revenge his father, so he calls. I want some more of vengence and violence in him. God Damnit, Ryo - your father was freaking KILLED in front you. And how old is he? He's blood boiling teen-ager... but he certainly doesn't act like a teen-ager boy.

I'm not sure of what this whole story is going to end like - but I'm relatively certain, that the story is about friendship and maybe about forgiveness. I'm sure Lan Di isn't just a guy who is just cold-hearted. There must be a reason for his vengence as well.

If Shenmue wants to re-appeal to the audience of modern day.. it needs some vast improvement in storytelling as well, In my humble opinion.

Vinci

Danish
Himuro said:
No shit dude, I just have a dark sense of humor. It should be obvious I'm not being serious, but it really disappoints me that people really want to embrace magic and mysticism when that is in 95% of games already.

I wasn't implying that you actually meant you'd kill yourself, just that it was a joking way in which you suggested how upset you would be.

And I'm not embracing magic and mysticism in games for the hell of it. If they think it's what is needed to make the title more interesting or fun to more people, and it's handled in a way that respects the tone of the series, then they do it. If they're adding it just for shits and giggles, then yeah, I'm not cool with that.

Scribble

Himuro said:
Oh come on. Who cares. You'd still have to fight him. The whole series is building up to this moment where Ryo is gonna have to square off with Lan Di, face to face. Being able to go from a scrub in 2 to being able to fight a master like Lan Di - who killed your pops - would be so satisfying.

It'd be like Luke in Return of the Jedi. It'll show much he's grown as a character.

He'd probably beat the shit out of Lan Di, realize the error of his ways, which would backfire resulting in Lan Di almost killing Ryo. Ren ends up killing Lan Di himself with a fucking knife or something, don't ask I'm making this up on the spot. Ryo returns to Japan, end credits, happy ending.

Don't get me wrong, after all that build up (beginning of S1, the rooftop bit in S2 =O) we'd get the Lan Di fight. But the game was building up to something bigger. I forgot half the things that happened -- but with Shenhua, the magic, mirrors, etc. if the series ended with you beating the shit out of Lan Di and ending with Lan Di lying on the ground yelling 'go on, then! Finish me off!' and Ryo replying 'No, I'm not like you' then walking off into the sunset with Nozomi on his arms (who suddenly returned from Canada) I'd be surprised.

Himuro said:
it really disappoints me that people really want to embrace magic and mysticism when that is in 95% of games already.

Magic/mysticism in most games is presented in a silly way. Shenmue wouldn't treat magic like Final Fantasy does, obviously, and as I said before, I doubt the game would end with a dragon descending from the heavens.

Then again, I'm probably giving Yu Suzuki waaay too much credit. If I had created Shenmue to be subtle with its use of magic then there is no fucking way I would have anything to do with Shenmue Online. What kills me is that the guy intended the story of Shenmue to continue through the MMO.

lachesis said:
So in your opinion, Shenmue doesn't need any updates to appeal more to the mass, except graphics?

I know this is going to sound generic, but dude, fuck the masses.
Shenmue has a strong enough cult following that the game would do pretty well, and it was in the spotlight for at least some time when the original was released.
Shenmue 2's NA Xbox release was marketed terribly and released at an awkward time, that doesn't count.

I know this is going to sound generic, but dude, fuck the masses.
Shenmue has a strong enough cult following that the game would do pretty well, and it was in the spotlight for at least some time when the original it released.
Shenmue 2's NA Xbox release was marketed terribly and released at an awkward time, that doesn't count.
:lol

ArjanN said:
I'm pretty sure it could sell well enough, as long as they'd keep the budget in check. If Yakuza 3 can make a profit (yeah, I know..) so could Shenmue 3.
How big is Yakuza 3 in terms of scale, though? I've not played it yet since it isn't out over here til March, but the first two didn't seem nearly as expansive as Shenmue was. To do Shenmue 3 correctly - staying true to the first two games - I think it would be hard to keep costs down. Maybe it wouldn't be anywhere near $100mil or whatever the Dreamcast ones cost, but certainly in the area where profitability was questionable.

I totally agree with you, Himuro, by the way. A small dose of magic insanity is okay, but the best thing about Shenmue was wasting hours in the gritty streets, going to work, managing your time correctly etc. Shooting fireballs like in the Shenmue Online stuff is a big no-no. :lol

ArjanN

Foliorum Viridum said:
How big is Yakuza 3 in terms of scale, though? I've not played it yet since it isn't out over here til March, but the first two didn't seem nearly as expansive as Shenmue was. To do Shenmue 3 correctly - staying true to the first two games - I think it would be hard to keep costs down. Maybe it wouldn't be anywhere near $100mil or whatever the Dreamcast ones cost, but certainly in the area where profitability was questionable.

I totally agree with you, Himuro, by the way. A small dose of magic insanity is okay, but the best thing about Shenmue was wasting hours in the gritty streets, going to work, managing your time correctly etc. Shooting fireballs like in the Shenmue Online stuff is a big no-no. :lol

Dunno, you can also waste a LOT of time in Yakuza in minigames/subquests etc.

It also depends how long you'd want Shenmue 3 to be. If they just make it less chapters, the detail could stay about the same.

And I'd be fine with the mystical stuff if they'd keep it on the level of, say, the Indiana Jones movies.

Dra-Q

Banned
Scribble said:
Ryo probably wouldn't have ended up killing Lan Di anyway, with the whole Xiuying deal in Shenmue 2. 'Revenge is not the way!' And all of that

They should go the Bioware way: Action 1: Kill the fuck out of Lan Di. Action 2: Hug him.

Vinci

Danish
ArjanN said:
I'm pretty sure it could sell well enough, as long as they'd keep the budget in check. If Yakuza 3 can make a profit (yeah, I know..) so could Shenmue 3.

If publishers are doing anything poorly this generation, it's keeping 'the budget in check.'

Urgh, I tried to forget that trailer. I was so excited to see them in new graphics etc, but the rest of that trailer is awful.

With that said, I never used it as an indication to what Shenmue 3 would be if it were released.

Himuro said:
ITT: People who don't like Shenmue discussing what Sega should do with Shenmue.

I like Shenmue really lots, but what I am saying is what I consider a realistic outcome. In crazy magical gumdrop land of dreams and hopes and wishes, we'd be on Shenmue 6 by now.

But Shenmue did not return Sega's investment. So, Sega dropped it like a bad habit. It sucks - it really does - that the game spent so much effort to anchor you to Ryo Hazuki only to end on an unresolved cliffhanger, but them's the breaks when you spend 8 figures.

Look at NiGHTS. There was an 11 year gap between the Sega Saturn original and Journey of Dreams on the Wii. Was Journey of Dreams a direct sequel? Not really. Outside of a few unlockables, the game had no obvious ties to suggest it was a continuation of the original NiGHTS. New city, new kids, new designs for everything contained within.

The Shenmue 3 that fans expect and have been yearning for is dead and buried. The truth hurts, I know, but this is a fact people need to come to terms with. After years of being teased and following Shenmue Dojo, I know it's not going to happen that way. If it was going to, it would've happened 7 years ago.

But it didn't. That trail is cold now. If Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't return Sega's investment, following with a Shenmue 3 in that exact same mold does not make any financial sense to those who have the money to govern whether or not this game gets made. That's just how it is, and the sooner Shenmue fans come to accept this, the happier we will all be.

NiGHTS barely had a story at all. Using that as an example of 'series reboot' is pretty dumb. What you are arguing happened, we got Yakuza.

If Shenmue came back, it would be a continuation otherwise there would be no point. Stop arguing completely absurd groundless hypotheticals.

Scribble

The most offensive part of that trailer is not the Shenhua bit, but the massively multiplayer shitty friends 'loading' into existence. Why, Yu Suzuki? ;__;

I wonder how he is. I hope he's not curled up somewhere, depressed and disillusioned with the games industry =X

Jcgamer60

Sega1991 said:
I like Shenmue really lots, but what I am saying is what I consider a realistic outcome. In crazy magical gumdrop land of dreams and hopes and wishes, we'd be on Shenmue 6 by now.

But Shenmue did not return Sega's investment. So, Sega dropped it like a bad habit. It sucks - it really does - that the game spent so much effort to anchor you to Ryo Hazuki only to end on an unresolved cliffhanger, but them's the breaks when you spend 8 figures.

Look at NiGHTS. There was an 11 year gap between the Sega Saturn original and Journey of Dreams on the Wii. Was Journey of Dreams a direct sequel? Not really. Outside of a few unlockables, the game had no obvious ties to suggest it was a continuation of the original NiGHTS. New city, new kids, new designs for everything contained within.

The Shenmue 3 that fans expect and have been yearning for is dead and buried. The truth hurts, I know, but this is a fact people need to come to terms with. After years of being teased and following Shenmue Dojo, I know it's not going to happen that way. If it was going to, it would've happened 7 years ago.

But it didn't. That trail is cold now. If Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't return Sega's investment, following with a Shenmue 3 in that exact same mold does not make any financial sense to those who have the money to govern whether or not this game gets made. That's just how it is, and the sooner Shenmue fans come to accept this, the happier we will all be.

I'm pretty sure if it was really dead and buried they wouldn't say something like this in Famitsu. They would clearly indicate that its pretty much done for.

Jcgamer60 said:
I'm pretty sure if it was really dead and buried they wouldn't say something like this in Famitsu. They would clearly indicate that its pretty much done for.

Just because "the Shenmue 3 that fans expect and have been yearning for is dead and buried" does not mean Shenmue as a brand name is dead.

How much is the Shenmue brand worth to people who aren't the vocal minority, though? Change the game too much and you lose sales from the hardcore base, and then you're left with the rest of the market who never invested in the name in the first place. Doesn't seem worth it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Foliorum Viridum said:
How much is the Shenmue brand worth to people who aren't the vocal minority, though? Change the game too much and you lose sales from the hardcore base, and then you're left with the rest of the market who never invested in the name in the first place. Doesn't seem worth it.
Exactly why I'm not that interested in seeing a Spiderman reboot.

jay

Earl Cazone said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJsUhPT7MBk

watch it. If the game would have turned ouit like that, with shenhua transforming etc, i would have been very disappointed.

Holy shit. I never watched that because I refused to accept Shenmue Online would ever exist (it apparently worked). That's terrible and the antithesis of what the games seemed to be about.

This eloquent youtube commenter sums it up well, which is a rare occurrence:

"THIS IS THE GAME I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR?!? If this is where SHENMUE is heading, I'd rather stay in the dark. For crying out loud I haven't played a game since Shenmue... That's how compelling a story this is. If i wanted dragons and magic attacks and levitating swords i'd play final fantasy or whatever is played these days. Culture, a dark obsession, reality, untapped potential, friendship, drama & perhaps the greatest music ever composed for a game or movie ever. This is what Shenmue is(was?!?)"

Jcgamer60

Sega1991 said:
Just because "the Shenmue 3 that fans expect and have been yearning for is dead and buried" does not mean Shenmue as a brand name is dead.

Yes, but its also not fair to assume Shenmue 3 will be downright crap. Am2 is a respected studio and there games (all virtua fighter now i guess) are still quality.

goldenpp72

Im pretty sure shenmue was heading towards magic and what not, considering things in the first 2 games had elements of being other worldly, magic mirrors and laser beams hitting them apparently isn't a tip off.

That said, I did appreciate how grounded shenmue was.

ajim

Himuro said:
The mirrors were not "magic" in the first two games. They were just mirrors. Aside from the fact that mirror contains a map to Guilin.
Dude, they were always 'magical', and there was ALWAYS going to be magic, its just a matter of how much and how crazy they were going to take it. What we saw in Shenmue Online doesn't necessarily represent what was going to happen in Shenmue in the slightest. It made sense for an MMORPG to be like that and to exaggerate the magic in Shenmue more than anything.

Getting angry/upset over what was planned from the very beginning in 1994 or whenever doesn't make any sense.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Himuro said:

One problem I always did have was that there was no feasible way Ryo could ever beat Lan Di in a fair one on one fight. Sure, Ryo has improved from his first fight with him, but still in Shenmue II Xiuying couldn't even be hit, and I'd imagine Lan Di would smack her around easily. Only if Ryo would practise for years or use magic could he beat Lan Di.

Pachael

jay said:
Holy shit. I never watched that because I refused to accept Shenmue Online would ever exist (it apparently worked). That's terrible and the antithesis of what the games seemed to be about.

This eloquent youtube commenter sums it up well, which is a rare occurrence:

"THIS IS THE GAME I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR?!? If this is where SHENMUE is heading, I'd rather stay in the dark. For crying out loud I haven't played a game since Shenmue... That's how compelling a story this is. If i wanted dragons and magic attacks and levitating swords i'd play final fantasy or whatever is played these days. Culture, a dark obsession, reality, untapped potential, friendship, drama & perhaps the greatest music ever composed for a game or movie ever. This is what Shenmue is(was?!?)"

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was Shenmue at its core, and that 2006 trailer contains a lot of what would have happened in Shenmue III or IV. The original game was meant to be Sega's big RPG for the Saturn/DC after all, only a lot more detailed.

I thought it was very clear at the least, that the plot was going to dive into both Chinese kungfu art and Oriental mysticism - the original Project Berkeley video does drop a whole bunch of hints.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6-QRThA8A

Much like Shadow the Hedgehog fanfic, it might have been a blessing that Sega canned the MMO.

Scribble

John Dunbar said:
One problem I always did have was that there was no feasible way Ryo could ever beat Lan Di in a fair one on one fight. Sure, Ryo has improved from his first fight with him, but still in Shenmue II Xiuying couldn't even be hit, and I'd imagine Lan Di would smack her around easily. Only if Ryo would practise for years or use magic could he beat Lan Di.

It would probably have a DBZ/Shonen-esque progression.

Chai was the last fight in Shenmue 1 and Dou Niu was the final battle in Shenmue 2, and these are both pretty 'silly' antagonists.

I think in Shenmue 3 they would have stepped things up by introducing Chi You Men members (Xiuying's brother?), then knowing video game writers, Xiuying would have eventually turned into damsel in distress and Ryo would surpass her.

Scribble said:
It would probably have a DBZ/Shonen-esque progression.

Chai was the last fight in Shenmue 1 and Dou Niu was the final battle in Shenmue 2, and these are both pretty 'silly' antagonists.

I think in Shenmue 3 they would have stepped things up by introducing Chi You Men members (Xiuying's brother?), then knowing video game writers, Xiuying would have eventually turned into damsel in distress and Ryo would surpass her.

I always thought of Shenmue as a progressive series too. Maybe by Shenmue 5, Ryo would be able to defeat Lan Di. But the way things are going, it will take some real world "magic" to get Shenmue 3

Scribble

Oh yeah, Yu Suzuki had plans for what, five games?

If Shenmue 3 happened, I'm guessing they'd complete the story with a trilogy. So we would end up getting an abridged version of the original story.

'Oh, Lan Di's secret base is hidden in the Guilin mountains!'

In our lifetime, someone will invent an extremely user-friendly version of Game Maker that can create 3D games. When that happens, Shenmue will return.

Scribble

lachesis

NeoGIF said:

Nice article.

Well, that's the reason why first Shenmue was such a different gem, but it also explains the series' eventual flop. First one, albeit was very noble in its concept - yet it was borderline playable tech demonstration for many. I loved every moment, but it was certainly not for everyone. If it needs to appeal to the mass... it needs some drastic changes, I believe...

Top Bottom