• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

celebi23

jman2050 said:
Also, in the interest of full disclosure, Mr Needlemouse was the original name for the original Sonic the Hedgehog character, so there's no mistaking what this is about.

Very true. But, one would hope that people would make the connection thanks to the use of the original sound effects, the blue blur running around & then the logo silhouette at the end.

Oh & the iconic "Sega" sound.

Yeah, it probably is a 2D HD Sonic :D Maybe Sega will finally give us Sonic fans "Sonic The Hedgehog 4"? :lol

Oh & if there's still any doubt, the filename of the video is "169_SonicDL_needlemouse_teaser_090809_1400.flv"

Plasma

Banned
Drkirby said:
I counter you and still say this thing is not sonic:

You sure?

It looks like the old sonic logo:

3168dhi.jpg

kiuju2k

Banned
Damnit. Damnit Damnit. Here we go. I'll start:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG A NEW SONIC GAME THATS GOING BACK TO ORIGINAL SEGA GENESIS ROOTS! ITS GONNA HAVE BADDIES, "ROBOTNIK", AND FURRIES! YEAH!

a Master Ninja said:
I can't let myself believe this will turn out well. I just can't.

You know you want to. Even if it was just Sonic's 2D stages from Unleashed turned into a full game it'd be a ton of fun.

Kusagari

_dementia said:
Nack the Weasel metroidvania confirmed

Nack is fucking awesome. Out of all the shitty friends/villains Sonic has, I can't believe they never brought back someone as awesome as Nack.

Watching the believers fall in the face of Sonic Team's immense incompetence will be so filling that I'm not sure I will be able to enjoy any more disappointment next year.

Gamespot interview with a crazy man said:
I would love to see Tikal developed because I think she could be very interesting as well. I think the one character that has yet to find his place is Bark the Polar Bear. I hope he does eventually – it’d be nice to have a cool bear character.

Who are these characters and what are they doing in my Sonic game?

Do people actually believe this ISN'T Sonic?

It's CLEARLY Sonic. I sometimes wonder if people actually have functioning eyes.

Needlemouse?

a) Sonic original 'working title'
b) NEEDLE MOUSE = HEDGEHOG. A mouse with needles all over it.

I have a good feeling about this one. I was excited over Unleashed until they revealed the Werehog, but even then, the daylight levels ARE good.

It's a 2D return to it's roots, how bad can it be?

Oh and also, FROM the article for people that bother to read.

Speaking with GameSpot, Sega associate brand manager, Ken Balough confirmed that Project Needle mouse will feature HD graphics. He also said the game's concept was a response to "old-school Sonic fans" who "have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay." For more details, check out GameSpot's full interview with Balough.

Bolded the part that highlights the stupidity of those that think this ISN'T a Sonic game.

celebi23

Oh & a comment on the Q&A kinda stood out

Dark_Mits said:
Is it me or did that logo in the end also resemble an Eggman face grinning as well as the logo from Sonic 1?

So it will be released on 23rd June, 2010.... Sonic's 19th birthday

Hm, could it be possible that they finetuned the Hedgehog Engine (see Sonic Unleashed) and made a complete 2D game out of it?

BiggNife

Lan_97 said:
That Q&A doesn't sound promising...
Sonic's speed in Sonic Unleashed wasn't an issue at all. In fact, it was by far the best part of the game. At least he had the decency to leave out Sonic 2k6.

But yes, that second quote is a bit disconcerting

It is pretty sad when the teaser for your game spends its time apologizing for the last few abortions.

"SPEED RETURNS"
"2D"
"BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP"
"ALL NEW"

They even threw in the sound effects from the old Genesis games. It is getting really sad at this point.

Blueblur1

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.
Do they have Needlemouse 2 and 3 planned out already or something?

Drkirby said:
I counter you and still say this thing is not sonic:
supersecretsonic2010_56297_screen.jpg

Nor exactly Sonic but the logo.

sonic-the-hedgehog-2.jpg

Sonic 1 example.

I wish I had some skill with Photoshop but you'll just have to take my opinion into account.

This may get interesting.

Akai

red shoe paul said:
The 2010 logo is fucking ill with the 2 rings. Definitely can't wait for this shit in HD! (I hope)

Shit being the key word...HD is the last thing they need to worry about in a 2D Sonic at this point...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
if its not sonic then why did the trailer havew a blue ball spinning around and the spindash sound

Jazzem

I wonder if this is going to be a Mega Man 9 for the series, the route I'd love to see taken. Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic :D

ReXXXSoprano said:
Nor exactly Sonic but the logo.

Sonic 1 example.

I wish I had some skill with Photoshop but you'll just have to take my opinion into account.

This may get interesting.
Already done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IGN can conclusively say, after an eyes-on with this trailer, that Sonic is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom