• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

wRATH2x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Wow... you got it pretty much right! That's just the style. Or like a Michael Jackson beat.

I think Sonic has a tendency to always latch onto whatever's music style is new and hip... But if you ask me Sonic is properly hip-hop/pop/RnB ranging from 1980-1995. You could go as far as g-funk style but that's it.

I guess I'd enjoy techno elements too.... but Rock? No. Sonic needs something he can dance to! ;)
Actually Rock would work with some levels if it was good rock.

Hotsuma

BocoDragon said:
Wow... you got it pretty much right! That's just the style. Or like a Michael Jackson beat.

I think Sonic has a tendency to always latch onto whatever's music style is new and hip... But if you ask me Sonic is properly hip-hop/pop/RnB ranging from 1980-1995. You could go as far as g-funk style but that's it.

I guess I'd enjoy techno elements too.... but Rock? No. Sonic needs something he can dance to! ;)

Cosign. Get that Rock shit outta there!

If they go with music stylings from Sonic 1-3, Import Sonic CD, and Knuckles Chaotix, great! Hideki Naganuma's tracks from Sonic Rush 1 (and damned near all of his JSR and JSRF stuff) is great, so I would have no complaints if he did the 'needlemouse' tracks. If the game is going to suck, at least give me a reason to get the soundtrack.

No Bowling for Bitches songs or Sega Rock music! For the love of Christ, give that crap a rest!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hotsuma said:
Cosign. Get that Rock shit outta there!

If they go with music stylings from Sonic 1-3, Import Sonic CD, and Knuckles Chaotix, great! Hideki Naganuma's tracks from Sonic Rush 1 (and damned near all of his JSR and JSRF stuff) is great, so I would have no complaints if he did the 'needlemouse' tracks. If the game is going to suck, at least give me a reason to get the soundtrack.

No Bowling for Bitches songs or Sega Rock music! For the love of Christ, give that crap a rest!

are you

are you talking shit about Bowling For Soup

think before you respond

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hotsuma said:
If they go with music stylings from Sonic 1-3, Import Sonic CD, and Knuckles Chaotix, great!
Exactly the true Sonic music canon, my friend! :)

I actually didn't mind the rock tracks in Unleashed, but they are soo secondary to the hip-hop style that classic Sonic beings to the table.

I had a dream last night that it turned out Taxman was the head of Project Needlemouse, though the game turned out to be detailed 3D graphics with classic gameplay, not sprites.

Just thought you should know, GAF.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Combichristoffersen said:
BfS is decent enough I guess, but not really something I'd want in my Sonic games.

Well no, they're not really Sonic material. I like them otherwise, though. Their newest album brings the lulz hard.

Kulock said:
You can also edit the teams to change the members, or limit it to a single or two characters. I was surprised to see you can even change which class they are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVGw5AKlX4

It's not going to sell you on the game if you hate them all, but it might be fun to mess with once you're bored of the game.

As for the voices, I've never substantiated it since I've never owned the PC version, but someone said once that in the config files there was an option amusingly labeled "charmy_shutup" or some variant of that that muted the constant chattering. Could've been bullshit, I never got to look for myself.

I want to say I was the one who discovered charmy_shutup in Sonic Heroes PC, but given that it was over five years ago my memory is honestly a bit foggy. As is my memory regarding exactly what the option does. I think it disables some of the mid-level chattering but as I recall it doesn't disable all of it. Maybe it disables the tutorial markers?

Hm... I wonder where I put my Sonic Heroes PC install discs...

Edit: Or maybe it doesn't matter where I put my Sonic Heroes PC install discs because the game doesn't want to run for me anymore. Same problem I get with the PC version of GTA San Andreas (the game tries to launch with an unsupported refresh rate, or something). Both games run on Renderware, too... hm.

HUELEN10

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
I had a dream last night that it turned out Taxman was the head of Project Needlemouse, though the game turned out to be detailed 3D graphics with classic gameplay, not sprites.

Just thought you should know, GAF.
Then you and I share the same dream...

If only, right? Here's hoping!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Roto13 said:
For actual time spent, there's no way you play as Sonic for 50 or 60% of the PS360 version. Half the levels are Sonic, but they're also like a quarter of the length of the Werehog levels. (If you actually explore them to collect medals and stuff, rather than have to visit them to find them later. Which is annoying, by the way.) Plus, the PS360 version has that terrible overworld nonsense, which is just as boring as the werehog levels, if less frustrating.

I really hate the blatant padding in that game. So much boring shit you have to wade through to get to the good bits.
I've played 100% of everything in this game, including all the hotdog misions, S-Ranks and DLC. I've definitely played more Sonic than Werehog. If you just complete the game it's more Werehog, but Sonic is much more difficult than Werehog, so you always get an S-Rank on your first run through Werehogs levels wereas at least I had to play the Sonic games several times.

remz

Flying battery was kinda already pretty guitar based anyway.

Sonic music has always kind of swung around genres IMO. they've never really stuck to one theme.

Sega1991 said:
I want to say I was the one who discovered charmy_shutup in Sonic Heroes PC, but given that it was over five years ago my memory is honestly a bit foggy.

That sounds right, honestly, but I couldn't say for certain.

Sega1991 said:
As is my memory regarding exactly what the option does. I think it disables some of the mid-level chattering but as I recall it doesn't disable all of it. Maybe it disables the tutorial markers?

Maybe it disables the non-clue chatter, the dialogue where they're not giving the player hints, just blabbing on about how crazy everything is around them. Some of their chatter is supposed to serve as clues how to beat an enemy or pass an area, so it may not disable that?

wRATH2x

Banned
Chemical Plant has always sounded like a rock song to me.

Anyway I agree, Sonic has delved into many genres with mostly success.

Sciz

Kulock said:
Maybe it disables the non-clue chatter, the dialogue where they're not giving the player hints, just blabbing on about how crazy everything is around them. Some of their chatter is supposed to serve as clues how to beat an enemy or pass an area, so it may not disable that?
It's probably the opposite. Super Hard Mode culls all of the tutorial chatter between characters, but not the level specific comments.

remz said:
Sonic music has always kind of swung around genres IMO. they've never really stuck to one theme.
The classics happily dive into jazz, techno, latin, and rock as the situation calls for it, but they definitely lean towards various flavors of hip-hop and pop. Sonic 1 pulls its influences (and melodies, and basslines) from everyone from Andy Williams to Bobby Brown to Duran Duran, though the special stage is a waltz of all things.

These days it's all over the place unless Senoue is involved, in which case it is all rock all the time.

Roto13

Yoshi said:
I've played 100% of everything in this game, including all the hotdog misions, S-Ranks and DLC. I've definitely played more Sonic than Werehog. If you just complete the game it's more Werehog, but Sonic is much more difficult than Werehog, so you always get an S-Rank on your first run through Werehogs levels wereas at least I had to play the Sonic games several times.
Running through the same level like nine times to get a certain number of rings is not the same as having more content.

I can't imagine ever wanting to 100% that game. Or buying the DLC. Buying the game for $20 was a big enough mistake.

Sciz

APZonerunner said:
Jun Senoue is THE ONLY ANSWER.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1fqEW3taD4

If he doesn't score this (possibly with collaboration from Jacques) it's a crime.
Senoue lost any concept of melody that doesn't involve vocals almost a decade ago, right around SA2. If you can travel back in time and grab him in the mid-90's, great, but the man as he exists today is Sega's least suitable composer for the series.

FootNinja said:
What if we had an orchestrated Sonic game comparable to galaxy?
Most of Unleashed's music is at least partially orchestrated, for the record.
It is also a better quality soundtrack on average, though that isn't to say that Galaxy's isn't utterly fantastic as well.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
FootNinja said:
Just makes me think, what if sonic games stayed on par and was a franchise worthy of comparison to Mario. What if we had an orchestrated Sonic game comparable to galaxy? What if sonic never fell :(
Damn, I thought the same thing when I heard that orchestrated Green Hill track :(

wRATH2x

Banned
Green Scar said:
What if a band like Anamaguchi did the music? I'd be down with that.
Sometime I think what it would be like if Megadeth did the music, and then I just roll in the floor of laughter!

I LOVE Megadeth, but they don't exactly fit Sonic. And imagining the lyrics Dave would come up with will make laugh as well

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kyzer said:
Bowling for Soup sucks, are you guys being serious?

While BfS ain't what I'd consider awesome, they're certainly not the worst thing I've ever heard.

Wrath2X said:
Sometime I think what it would be like if Megadeth did the music, and then I just roll in the floor of laughter!

I LOVE Megadeth, but they don't exactly fit Sonic. And imagining the lyrics Dave would come up with will make laugh as well

Peace Shit sells, but who's Sonic fans are buying

Sciz

Willy105 said:
Sonic Unleashed's music was like that, just like Mario Galaxy:

Main Theme

Boss Battle

Super Sonic

My favorite part of the game.
HUELEN10 said:
You forgot the best one...
Cued it up to the best part as well. :3
The World Adventure is the only one of those that's orchestrated, actually. Super Sonic vs Perfect Dark Gaia has Ohtani on the bass and Senoue on guitar, and the other two are pure MIDI.

edit: Regarding Endless Possibility, only the vocals were done by BFS. Ohtani wrote the music, and it was performed by some of the other musicians who contributed to the soundtrack.

[Nintex]

Anth0ny said:
Sweet Dreams is fucking awesome.

But my favourite song is still Ice Cap Zone. Years later, I would find out that MICHAEL JACKSON composed the song :D :D :D
Ice Cap Zone is my favorite Sonic level/song and Smooth Criminal is my favorite MJ song.

I noticed the similarites between Smooth Criminal and Ice Cap Zone because my PAL version of Sonic 3 runs slower. yay PAL

Sciz said:
Senoue lost any concept of melody that doesn't involve vocals almost a decade ago, right around SA2. If you can travel back in time and grab him in the mid-90's, great, but the man as he exists today is Sega's least suitable composer for the series.[/spoiler]

He managed that arrangement pretty damn well. I think he could do it. Crush 40 for the theme tune, but nothing else.

HUELEN10

As far as music goes, Sonic games have a really varied style, so anything done well would make me happy. A few current overlooked favorites of mine include the following.

Chaos Angel Map: Doesn't this song give you a combined "Mystic Ruins" and "Hidden Palace" feel? I think so. Love this one.
Special Stage (Sonic 3D Blast Saturn): Give me a Caino level with something like this and I'll be fine and dandy with it.
Neo Green Hill: One of my favorite songs for a first level in a Sonic game. Nowhere near the best by any means, but perfectly fitting. The fact that a song fits should never be overlooked.
Angel Island (GBA): This song is amazing (please listen to this version, best remix I've heard in some time!), and I would love to hear more like this one.
Lovers: Nothing needs to be said about this seldom-heard classic.
Skyscraper Scamper (Night): One of the better songs for a metropolis/city stage. Nothing wrong with taking it slow once in a while.
Tropical Jungle (medley version): Shows how well medleys can work in Sonic games.
Hot Crater: One of the better "pumped up" songs if you know what I mean.
Carnival Night: My favorite Sonic 3 song. :3

A small selection, but very varied in style indeed. I guess that's one of the better aspects of Sonic no?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just have to say HUELEN10, your sonic passion does not go unappreciated.

If I really try I can get into the music of Sonic Rush, but I really wish they had more slow paced tunes, like Chaos angel map. I'm not so much into whatever category of music it is showing me thus far. Even if the music was up beat yet coherent, like chemical plant zone, I could appreciate it more.

TimmiT

The Lamonster said:
So...do we have a title or a screenshot or anything yet??
We have this concept art:
4277063216_717bde8f91.jpg

HUELEN10

BlackClouds said:
Huelen has horrible taste in music...wtf is that shit!?
OT says otherwise. :lol Seriously though, what's exactly wrong with any of the songs I listed? At the very least, don't you dare call Hot Crater, Chaos Angel Map, or Angel Island GBA bad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom