• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sega1991 said:
I want to say I was the one who discovered charmy_shutup in Sonic Heroes PC, but given that it was over five years ago my memory is honestly a bit foggy. As is my memory regarding exactly what the option does. I think it disables some of the mid-level chattering but as I recall it doesn't disable all of it. Maybe it disables the tutorial markers?

Hm... I wonder where I put my Sonic Heroes PC install discs...

Edit: Or maybe it doesn't matter where I put my Sonic Heroes PC install discs because the game doesn't want to run for me anymore. Same problem I get with the PC version of GTA San Andreas (the game tries to launch with an unsupported refresh rate, or something). Both games run on Renderware, too... hm.

You could use DXTweaker to force the game to boot in whatever refresh rate you want.

Sciz

HUELEN10 said:
OT says otherwise. :lol Seriously though, what's exactly wrong with any of the songs I listed? At the very least, don't you dare call Hot Crater, Chaos Angel Map, or Angel Island GBA bad. :D
There are some good tracks in your list. Those are not three of them.

Ok, Hot Crater is decent, but that's only relative to the rest of Sa2's music. And Chaos Angel's act themes trounce the map version. AIZ is pleasant but wholly unmemorable like most Sonic Advance music.

HUELEN10 said:
Oh shit, I can't believe I forgot this one! Boss (Pinch Version): Easily my FAVORITE regular boss theme for any totally 2D Sonic game hands down! I actually feel ashamed for forgetting this one. :(
what

...what?

HUELEN10

Sciz said:
what
...what?
I like tension in boss battle music. The genny games failed in this respect IMO, the game gear ones weren't memorable, and Sonic Advance's really sucked IMO. I just like this one. Anything particularly wrong with it? Well, besides it being "modern" of course. See, I would have chosen the Act 1 boss theme or Doomsday from Sonic 3, those 2 are amazing, and much better than the SAdv3 one I mentioned, but that wouldn't be a regular boss battle, now would it? As far as fully 2D games go, I am personally confident in my choice. Also Sciz, these are underrated personal choices of mine. Consider most of them, unless otherwise noted, a "B-Side" is you will. I made this very clear from the start.

Unicorn

HUELEN10 said:
I like tension in boss battle music. The genny games failed in this respect IMO, the game gear ones weren't memorable, and Sonic Advance's really sucked IMO. I just like this one. Anything particularly wrong with it? Well, besides it being "modern" of course. See, I would have chosen the Act 1 boss theme of Sonic 3, but that wouldn't be a regular boss battle, now would it? As far as fully 2D games go, I am personally confident in my choice.
Didn't think it possible, but your opinion is wrong. Just wrong.

WillyFive

HUELEN10 said:
I like tension in boss battle music. The genny games failed in this respect IMO, the game gear ones weren't memorable, and Sonic Advance's really sucked IMO. I just like this one. Anything particularly wrong with it? Well, besides it being "modern" of course. See, I would have chosen the Act 1 boss theme of Sonic 3, but that wouldn't be a regular boss battle, now would it? As far as fully 2D games go, I am personally confident in my choice.

Tension is great, but there's a limit on how much it can hurt your ears.

Wiseblade

A sonic music discussion and nobody mentions this? For shame GAF.

After seeing that enemy art, I'm starting to gain hope. could we finally see the first good sonic game since Rush?

Wiseblade said:

2gtndk1.jpg

:lol These guys for Needlemouse please. I like it how they all wear the same shoes.

WillyFive

Talking about concept art, there's a big chance Sonic could be redesigned for this game, and more so than simply going back to his 90's desgin.

What do you guys think it will look like?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Willy105 said:
Talking about concept art, there's a big chance Sonic could be redesigned for this game, and more so than simply going back to his 90's desgin.

Probably short and chubby, or like the one in Unleashed.

Gagaman

Green Scar said:
2gtndk1.jpg

:lol These guys for Needlemouse please. I like it how they all wear the same shoes.
I can imagine the reactions now.

"More shitty friends? A monkey and a fucking chicken? Seriously Sega? Fuck you!" :lol

Sciz

HUELEN10 said:
It's exceedingly repetitive and lacks any sort of strong hook to make it memorable. The GBA's sound hardware is also terrible for the sort of samples it uses, resulting in a cacophony of high and low frequencies with very few mids. It's tense, ok, but mostly in the sense that it encourages me to kill the boss as quickly as possible to shut it up. The Rush games also have repetitive boss themes, but they're at least well composed, catchy, and have energy without just cranking the tempo way up.

Every single classic game, a couple of the GG titles, and even Advance 2 have better regular boss themes.

Wiseblade said:
The last post in that topic precedes your registration. I am flattered but confused.

Green Scar said:
2gtndk1.jpg

30vj9rn.png

The crocodile is Vector.

Teknoman

BlackClouds said:
Exactly, Sonic Jams, not Sonic Rocks

Huelen has horrible taste in music...wtf is that shit!?

If you think 3d blast saturn special stage and Skyscraper Scamper sound horrible, you are nuts.

Wiseblade

Sciz said:
The last post in that topic precedes your registration. I am flattered but confused.

I've been lurking since early 2007. :/

I don't think Sonic's design will change much from Unleashed, he already reverted to Mega Drive proportions and I doubt Sega will remove the colour from his eyes.

HUELEN10

I guess opinion on Sonic music can get as varied as the opinion of the games themselves. Shows you how truly varied the fanbase is. :lol
Wiseblade said:
I've been lurking since early 2007. :/

I don't think Sonic's design will change much from Unleashed, he already reverted to Mega Drive proportions and I doubt Sega will remove the colour from his eyes.
I like the way you think. :D

EDIT: Damn you Sciz! I was gonna post the picture of the "Forget Me Knots" from issue 201. :(

Gagaman

Green Scar said:
OK, I preferred it when the drawing was crappy. Can't believe they are actually recurring characters though XD
Not exactly, they only appeared the once I think. The Archie comics have been dropping a lot of little references in like that recently. ('Snooping as usual?' being another)

HUELEN10

Gagaman said:
Not exactly, they only appeared the once I think. The Archie comics have been dropping a lot of little references in like that recently. ('Snooping as usual?' being another)
That is absolutely correct. The Forget Me Knots were only seen in issue 201 of Archie Sonic, so I wouldn't call them recurring, just a mere tribute to some old art. They've been doing a lot of that lately, references to other Sonic media I mean. At least it's better than those lame-ass tree puns from issue 9...
2zia59j.png

Wow, that last panel is sadly a perfect analogy for most modern Sonic games. :lol
Surgeon Rocket said:
Probably short and chubby, or like the one in Unleashed.
I personally hope so. Classic or Unleashed, definitely. :D

HUELEN10 said:
That is absolutely correct. The Forget Me Knots were only seen in issue 201 of Archie Sonic, so I wouldn't call them recurring, just a mere tribute to some old art. They've been doing a lot of that lately, references to other Sonic media I mean. At least it's better than those lame-ass tree puns from issue 9...
2zia59j.png

To be fair, they knew they were lame-ass when they made it. That was the gag.

Sciz

SonicMegaDrive said:
To be fair, they knew they were lame-ass when they made it. That was the gag.
The early run of the series thrives on that sort of self-aware humor. It tends to read as though everyone involved with the comic was expecting it to be canceled at any moment and couldn't believe that they were getting paid for it. I loved it so. Then it got all serious for a good 130 issues. :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sciz said:
The early run of the series thrives on that sort of self-aware humor. It tends to read as though everyone involved with the comic was expecting it to be canceled at any moment and couldn't believe that they were getting paid for it. I loved it so. Then it got all serious for a good 130 issues. :(

Just like Conan O'Brien! Except he actually is getting canceled. =(

I enjoyed the early Archie Sonic comics more than the later ones, too. I don't want to read One Tree Hill: Furry Edition, I wanna read a funny comic book about Sonic the Hedgehog.

Blueblur1

Danthrax said:
Just like Conan O'Brien! Except he actually is getting canceled. =(

I enjoyed the early Archie Sonic comics more than the later ones, too. I don't want to read One Tree Hill: Furry Edition, I wanna read a funny comic book about Sonic the Hedgehog.
Also, there was a 4 year span where it was really shitty. I just started reading again and it's a lot better. Especially in the art department.

I hadn't noticed the Sonic Band cameo, pretty sneaky of Ian.

Sciz said:
It's probably the opposite. Super Hard Mode culls all of the tutorial chatter between characters, but not the level specific comments.

I didn't remember that, good point. Still, that would be something kept in the memory, not the config file, I'd think. Unless it was something extra hacked in because the testers appreciated it.

Willy105 said:

I hope they try and redo everything they done over pass 2 gens nomore long legs with big hands and little body

sonic_md1_150x150.gif

need to be like that

Robotnik too

dr-robotnik.jpg

come on sega undo all shit from the pass 3D games and do it right XD for the love of god

jump_button said:
I hope they try and redo everything they done over pass 2 gens nomore long legs with big hands and little body

sonic_md1_150x150.gif

need to be like that

Robotnik too

dr-robotnik.jpg

come on sega undo all shit from the pass 3D games and do it right XD for the love of god
I love Sonic 1 art!

Varjet

gutter_trash said:
I love Sonic 1 art!
While we're on that topic, what's the deal with the horrible US Sonic art
szan8l.jpg

It also invested the latter PAL boxarts, though they kinda fixed it in Triple Trouble:
2hf45k2.jpg
vo0ac9.jpg

Blueblur1

riceandbeans said:
This is why I hate Sonic fans and Sonic Team has been sucking so bad by listening to these morons...

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9358/2cn8kf5.jpg[img]

Superfans at Sonic Retro were asked to redesign Sonic and this is the design they all fell in love with.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bSZd1vM_A[/url][/QUOTE]
No thanks.

Varjet said:
szan8l.jpg

Looks all right to me. It looks like it's been cropped from the poster image of Sonic that Sega of America came up with when tweaking Sonic's design from Oshima's original concept art:

Sonic%20Madonna.jpg

The art you see on the cover of Sonic 1 in Japan was basically a redrawn version of that first image.

sonic1-jp-front.jpg

edit: Here's the actual poster:
Sonic1Poster.jpg

RagnarokX

Varjet said:
szan8l.jpg

It also invested the latter PAL boxarts, though they kinda fixed it in Triple Trouble:
2hf45k2.jpg
vo0ac9.jpg
Where the boxart really messed up was with Robotnik. "Hmmm... The sprite has blue round things for eyes, and the character art from Japan shows him wearing blue glasses... He must have black eyeballs with red irises!"

Varjet

SonicMegaDrive said:
Looks all right to me. That's cropped from the poster image of Sonic that Sega of America came up with when tweaking Sonic's design from Oshima's original concept art:

http://www.sega-16.com/Features/History%20of/Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog/Sonic%20Madonna.jpg[img]

The art you see on the cover of Sonic 1 in Japan was basically a redrawn version of that first image.

[img]http://sonicstadium.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/sonic1-jp-front.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I guess what bothers me is that in the US art Sonic's spines look like they are tacked on to his head, while it's just one smooth line in the japanese one.

Varjet said:
I guess what bothers me is that in the US art Sonic's spines look like they are tacked on to his head, while it's just one smooth line in the japanese one.

Yeah, the US one was just a rough. The Japanese artist took it and made it more streamlined. A much better design, imo. Though, I do have a certain fondness for that old American art.

MNC

Unleashed music was great if you throw out Endless Possibilities. Soundtrack was amazing. As for the whole Sonic CD music thing...

I had the US version, apparently. And I grew up with it, and it has some awesome tunes! Was the consensus that the Jap. version is better?

How can you beat this!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN1W-p-Z24U&feature=related

Or the one and only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTv_CJqHzJ4&feature=related
When chasing Metal Sonic.

FUUUCK that was great. You got me craving for Sonic CD now, GAF :(

MNC said:
Unleashed music was great if you throw out Endless Possibilities. Soundtrack was amazing. As for the whole Sonic CD music thing...

I had the US version, apparently. And I grew up with it, and it has some awesome tunes! Was the consensus that the Jap. version is better?

I think it is. With the exception of a couple of tracks.

Though, the U.S. version is still awesome. It just gets a bad rep. because of the godly Japanese soundtrack.

MNC

SonicMegaDrive said:
I think it is. With the exception of a couple of tracks.

Though, the U.S. version is still awesome. It just gets a bad rep. because of the godly Japanese soundtrack.
I'm listening to these tracks now, and some stages have better music in US, some JAP. They're both holding up awesomely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom