• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

remz

Sega will probably mess it up and it will be Sonic the Werehog in 2D because, apparently, werewolves are cool to 13 year olds (the target demographic).
So it'll be a new Ristar game?

HUELEN10

TheSonicRetard said:
Except Big the cat is pretty fucking alright, and he only got hate AFTER the flood of characters. The people who hate Big the Cat are probably the same people who hate the fishing mini-game in OoT. It might not be the style you like, but it's not shitty. It's actually a well done fishing mini-game.
Fucking nailed it.

HUELEN10

One more thing...

They better not ignore the importance of story! I liked the simple stories of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, so I would love to see more of that. makes the game seem more light-hearted and fun, while taking a tone at the same time. Something ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be just great!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Sean said:
Tails and Knuckles are totally fine, I wouldn't mind playing as them, but all of the other characters have been mostly shit with totally different gameplay styles. Tails and Knuckles played pretty much like Sonic except with a hover/glide ability.

I'd be fine with the friends if they each played differently, like Tails vs. Sonic. They each play different, you can only get to some levels with some characters . . .

I can dream. :(

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If there must be more playable characters (besides Sonic), then how about expanding the abilities of the current entourage versus popping out new ones each game?

Was the gradual increase in quality between Unleashed and SatBK great enough to allow this to be a great game, continuing that curve? Can't fool me, Sega!

mattp

if the story is anything but "Dr. Robotnik kidnaps all of your woodland friends and turns them into evil robots. You have to rescue them. THE END." then gtfo

also, no dialog for christs sake

Night_Trekker said:
Was the gradual increase in quality between Unleashed and SatBK great enough to allow this to be a great game, continuing that curve? Can't fool me, Sega!

I reread this several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Let me ask for clarification because I still can't believe it: did you just compliment SatBK?

Teknoman

HUELEN10 said:
One more thing...

They better not ignore the importance of story! I liked the simple stories of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, so I would love to see more of that.

Kinda hoping they bring back decent special stages...and some sort of epic Mecha (Metal?) Sonic battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDwHNXiA3o

Was so awesome back in the day. Already a decent fight and boss battle before the Master Emerald, but Metal going Super Metal was just something that I never thought would happen.

HUELEN10

TheSonicRetard said:
I reread this several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Let me ask for clarification because I still can't believe it: did you just compliment SatBK?
THIS

Black Knight was possibly the shittiest 3D game yet. Music was excellent though, but that is besides the point!

Possibly shittier than 06 due to less fun IMO.

kay

The Power Of Snap said:
No voice acting dear god.
I would not disagree with this, Sega needs to really stop trying to make a grand story with Sonic. Just do it simple like Mario or something.

TheSonicRetard said:

Oh, you're right.. which means this game has to be either worse or slightly better, according to Sonic Team's game design rules. Damn :(

Unicorn

TheSonicRetard said:
Except Big the cat is pretty fucking alright, and he only got hate AFTER the flood of characters. The people who hate Big the Cat are probably the same people who hate the fishing mini-game in OoT. It might not be the style you like, but it's not shitty. It's actually a well done fishing mini-game.

Fishing in OoT was fine. I dug it. I even liked Big at first, before I realized that's all he did. It broke the pace in my Sonic game, not like a typical game where it does something to mix it up, this shattered the pace of the game I was expecting as a Sonic game. It grew more ugly with age, much like any relationship where you look back on what the first signs could've been and you just slap yourself for being so naive and blind at the time.

TunaLover

Plywood said:
If there must be more playable characters (besides Sonic), then how about expanding the abilities of the current entourage versus popping out new ones each game?

Because most of them were so irrelevant that make no diference in upgrade the old ones and make a new ones with new upgrades.

Foffy

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
One more thing...

They better not ignore the importance of story! I liked the simple stories of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, so I would love to see more of that. makes the game seem more light-hearted and fun, while taking a tone at the same time. Something ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be just great!

What? Are you kidding?

Story has never been important in platformers, and that's one of the worst things about the new Sonic games. The stories are often so bad it seems Sega is stealing terrible fanfiction.

Playing a Sonic game with story being a major factor is like playing Contra for realism.

HUELEN10 said:
THIS

Black Knight was possibly shittier than Sonic 06, simply because it was less fun.

Don't get me started on Black Knight. With Sonic 06, I could see things were going south. Black Knight blindsided me. One of the worst Sonic games ever. Really bad. I can play even the worst games and turn my brain off, but I couldn't do that with SatBK. In fact, thinking back, I never actually finished the game after the "fake" ending. I got far but stopped playing.

The only sonic game I didn't beat.

Teknoman

Supermetalboss.png

Bring em back.

Unicorn

Foffy said:
What? Are you kidding?

Story has never been important in platformers, and that's one of the worst things about the new Sonic games. The stories are often so bad it seems Sega is stealing terrible fanfiction.

Playing a Sonic game with story being a major factor is like playing Contra for realism.

Just ignore his posts. He's gotta be trollin'. fuckin' 10/10 for him. He had me believin' his posts for a long time. Bravo

btkadams

i never get psyched for these games anymore. but i'm neither slamming it nor getting excited until i get more details and footage.

HUELEN10

TheSonicRetard said:
Don't get me started on Black Knight. With Sonic 06, I could see things were going south. Black Knight blindsided me. One of the worst Sonic games ever. Really bad. I can play even the worst games and turn my brain off, but I couldn't do that with SatBK. In fact, thinking back, I never actually finished the game after the "fake" ending. I got far but stopped playing.

The only sonic game I didn't beat.
I completed it and had my share of fun, but it wasn't easy. It was just not fun at its core. I will say that it is graphically the best Wii game bar none.
Foffy said:
What? Are you kidding?

I meant light-hearted stories. I would love to see something like Sonic 3 once more, not a BS story like Sonic 06, but I want SOMETHING. You have to admit that Sonic 3 was a perfect balance of most all mechanics, including story, so why the fuck not?
Teknoman said:
Supermetalboss.png

Bring em back.
Hell yes buddy!
Unicorn said:
Just ignore his posts. He's gotta be trollin'. fuckin' 10/10 for him. He had me believin' his posts for a long time. Bravo
I'm not trolling, I feel this way about the series, and I think that I am pretty fair and level-headed about it.

Unicorn said:
Fishing in OoT was fine. I dug it. I even liked Big at first, before I realized that's all he did. It broke the pace in my Sonic game, not like a typical game where it does something to mix it up, this shattered the pace of the game I was expecting as a Sonic game. It grew more ugly with age, much like any relationship where you look back on what the first signs could've been and you just slap yourself for being so naive and blind at the time.

I find this claim hard to believe since you have to SELECT Big to play as him. If he was thrown in SA2 style, then yeah you'd have a point, but I can't agree that Big breaks the pace of the game. It's a mini-game with several levels. And it's truthfully optional, unless 2 minutes of Super Sonic is that important to you. Most of the time, when I play SA again, Big is my last character, after the game is over. Because, by the time I play as big, I never play the actual Sonic gameplay again.

omg rite said:
Okay, I'm sorry, but Big the Cat was not good. And I liked both those games.

Oh well that settles it then.

mattp said:
im holding huelen10 personally responsible for every single sonic game made since sonic 3 & knuckles

Sonic Pocket Adventure is pretty fucking radical. And supremely overrated, despite getting universal love.

Unicorn

TheSonicRetard said:
I find this claim hard to believe since you have to SELECT Big to play as him. If he was thrown in SA2 style, then yeah you'd have a point, but I can't agree that Big breaks the pace of the game. It's a mini-game with several levels. And it's truthfully optional, unless 2 minutes of Super Sonic is that important to you. Most of the time, when I play SA again, Big is my last character, after the game is over. Because, by the time I play as big, I never play the actual Sonic gameplay again.

Yeah he's optional, but I would've been more accepting had he been implemented like the fishing minigame in OoT.

Perhaps I'm blowing it out of proportion, but I gotta glance back to the second part of that post where it just got uglier with age.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TunaLover said:
Because most of them were so irrelevant that make no diference in upgrade the old ones and make a new ones with new upgrades.
One of the main complaints about new Sonic is his friends, his new crappy friends. Rather than constantly tossing in new faces for a new stupid mechanic. Why not use familiar faces for the new stupid mechanic? It would simply be taken as an "experiment" just trying something new and if the stupid mechanic works, then you could oh I dunno reuse it and refine it?

Foffy

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
I completed it and had my share of fun, but it wasn't easy. It was just not fun at its core. I will say that it is graphically the best Wii game bar none.

I meant light-hearted stories. I would love to see something like Sonic 3 once more, not a BS story like Sonic 06, but I want SOMETHING.

Here's your story:

The EVIL, SINISTER Dr. Robotnik, also known as Eggman, has kidnapped some animals on _____ Island, and it's up to the Blue Blur himself to put that big meany back in his place!

Go on, Sonic! Fight for everlasting peace!

remz

Teknoman said:
Sonic 3 style story would be fine. Just the right amount of story for a platformer.
The transitions between levels were damn classy.
Foffy said:
Here's your story:

The EVIL, SINISTER Dr. Robotnik, also known as Eggman, has kidnapped some animals on _____ Island, and it's up to the Blue Blur himself to put that big meany back in his place!

Go on, Sonic! Fight for everlasting peace!
everlasting peace AND THE ENVIRONMENT get it right man!

Plywood said:
One of the main complaints about new Sonic is his friends, his new crappy friends. Rather than constantly tossing in new faces for a new stupid mechanic. Why not use familiar faces for the new stupid mechanic? It would simply be taken as an "experiment" just trying something new and if the stupid mechanic works, then you could oh I dunno reuse it and refine it?

OR

Just reuse the same tried and tested gameplay

Because it worked

Pretty please?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheSonicRetard said:
OR

Just reuse the same tried and tested gameplay

Because it worked

Pretty please?
Definitely what I'd prefer, but you know Sega "more characters+wacky mechanics!"

Teknoman

remz said:

Yup, plus the background images usually made the story obvious so no worded cutscenes were needed.

SuperTails.gif

RagnarokX

Speed returns? It never left! What needs to return is momentum-based platforming and competent level design. Can't judge if it will be a return to glory or not based on a teaser and PR, but given the recent track record I wouldn't hold my breath.

2dsizbs.png

HUELEN10

TheSonicRetard said:
Sonic Pocket Adventure is pretty fucking radical. And supremely overrated, despite getting universal love.
It was also made by Dimps, a fact most people miss! :D
Teknoman said:
Sonic 3 style story would be fine. Just the right amount of story for a platformer.
Exactly what I'm saying, and...
remz said:
this is the main point why! With Sonic 1, you really didn't get this. Sonic 3 felt like a well-balance epic adventure with a light, but semi-substantial plot that kept you going. Why someone would just want "The EVIL, SINISTER Dr. Robotnik, also known as Eggman, has kidnapped some animals on _____ Island, and it's up to the Blue Blur himself to put that big meany back in his place!" instead of something ala Sonic 3 seems kinda backwards IMO.
RagnarokX said:
Speed returns? It never left! What needs to return is momentum-based platforming and competent level design. Can't judge if it will be a return to glory or not based on a teaser and PR, but given the recent track record I wouldn't hold my breath.
Aye. For all we know, this could just be 2d-only Unleashed with no boost, which is NOT classic Sonic gameplay.

Plywood said:
Definitely what I'd prefer, but you know Sega "more characters+wacky mechanics!"

Well, they occasionally do experimental gameplay right. I thought the Werehog levels were pretty good, and suspect that a majority of the bitching comes from what I was describing earlier - where people equate not liking something with it being poorly made.

But yeah, I'd prefer they stick with ONE gameplay style. At the bare minimum, everyone should have to play by the same rules, in the same levels. You hop, you bop, you grab the rings, and if there's any wiggle room left over in the gameplay department, you try something new.

Thats one thing SA1 got right that SA2 didn't, despite all the experimental gameplay in SA2 being nothing but fleshed out (and broken) portions of SA1.

HUELEN10

Since we do not know if this uses models or sprites, is there any chance that this could be suing the hedgehog lighting engine? It would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Foffy

Banned
remz said:

I purposely omitted the environment angle of the story. When I think of platformers that involve saving the environment, I just happen to think of Awesome Possum more than I think of the original story for Sonic the Hedgehog.

remz

Megadragon15 said:
Sega should sub-contract Nintendo to make a new Sonic gane (one can dream).
This is a horrible idea.

Since we do not know if this uses models or sprites, is there any chance that this could be suing the hedgehog lighting engine? It would be a shame to let it go to waste.
Using the visual power of the Hedgehog engine is a good idea.

The teaser suggests a more old school styled Sonic, however. Shorter spines and that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom