• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to revive major IPs, be more multiplat/global, make bigger games, Sonic: NA dev?

Speely

Banned
Man, a new Skies of Arcadia would be amazing. Think of a Xenoblade scale JRPG with airship battling. Oh no now I need it.

It could be the best game ever. Take the exploration to the next level and revamp the combat system. Boom. The setting is so damn good.

It's hard for me to be excited about this. The company that bought Sonic Adventure, Sonic 2006, and every other Sonic game since the Genesis is now being allowed to get their hands on other franchises.

Depending on how you feel about Sonic games, this is a nightmare or a fantasy.

gafneo

Banned
Sega needs to do what they do best. Arcade style games that we can play in short to long bursts.

2nd we need them to make third party gamepads for all devices.

Speely

Banned
Sega needs to do what they do best. Arcade style games that we can play in short to long bursts.

2nd we need them to make third party gamepads for all devices.

13cQHzE.jpg

Their catalog is too damn chock full of good shit to not be able to capitalize on it. I really don't understand. They just thinking of doing this now?

Streets of Rage
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star
Shining Force
Jet Set/Grind Radio
Panzer Dragoon

Their catalog is too damn chock full of good shit to not be able to capitalize on it. I really don't understand. They just thinking of doing this now?

Streets of Rage
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star
Shining Force
Jet Set/Grind Radio
Panzer Dragoon

The problem I guess is how do you make good modern versions of games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe? I mean, it's not like they haven't tried and the results haven't been good.

Jams775

The problem I guess is how do you make good modern versions of games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe? I mean, it's not like they haven't tried and the results haven't been good.

Easy.

Streets of Rage: Battle Royale
Get dropped into a city filled with weapons and angry ruffians that'll battle down to the last man for a nice slice of big city pizza!

Golden Axe: Survival of the Fittest
Survive, Craft, Adventure in the world of Golden Axe

Panzer Dragoon Kart Racing
Ride your favorite dragoons in kart form around dozens of tracks that span land, sea and air!

Phantasy Star: Hunter
a futuristic fantasy game where you play as an assassin that comes in episodes each featuring a new science fiction inspired area to hunt down your target. Upgrade your equipment and buy information to help you track down and eliminate your targets.

Shining Force: ALIEN Defense!
Defend your planet from aliens using your mixed fantasy/magic while learning why the aliens are attacking! Every battle increases your abilities to fend of invaders! Research for new items including weapons, armor, abilities and more!

Jet Set/Grind Radio Splat!
Multiplayer game where two teams of a certain color paint the map with paint filled roller blades and defend areas with different musical equipment that shoot paint.

Easy.

Streets of Rage: Battle Royale
Get dropped into a city filled with weapons and angry ruffians that'll battle down to the last man for a nice slice of big city pizza!

Golden Axe: Survival of the Fittest
Survive, Craft, Adventure in the world of Golden Axe

Panzer Dragoon Kart Racing
Ride your favorite dragoons in kart form around dozens of tracks that span land, sea and air!

Phantasy Star: Hunter
a futuristic fantasy game where you play as an assassin that comes in episodes each featuring a new science fiction inspired area to hunt down your target. Upgrade your equipment and buy information to help you track down and eliminate your targets.

Shining Force: ALIEN Defense!
Defend your planet from aliens using your mixed fantasy/magic while learning why the aliens are attacking! Every battle increases your abilities to fend of invaders! Research for new items including weapons, armor, abilities and more!

Jet Set/Grind Radio Splat!
Multiplayer game where two teams of a certain color paint the map with paint filled roller blades and defend areas with different musical equipment that shoot paint.

You forgot to mention that all of them would be phone games

S K I E S O F A R C A D I A B O I S

i want to believe

Skies of Arcadia 2 is gonna be amazing

Skies of Arcadia baby!!

C'mon, Skies of Arcadia!!!!!!

It's long overdue. They should throw in an HD remaster of the 1st one, while they're at it.

Skies of Arcadia 2??? I can take that...

it's probably going to be super monkey ball for switch

Yasssssss

RedSwirl

I haven't played a Shining Force game and I'm not all clear on their development history, but those could work in today's environment right? All I know is most of the mare strategy RPGs. SEGA would even have a couple options on where to take it.

It could have either Overworks (or whatever the Valkyria team is called now) or Creative Assembly work on it. For Switch and/or PC respectively.

chrono01

You can go even further.

Chain Chronicle's localization was handled by some cowboys who severely mismanaged it and shut the western servers down after less than a year.
To further add to this, the Global version of Hortensia Saga is also closing down, before the Android version even received a proper release. :/

To further add to this, the Global version of Hortensia Saga is also closing down, before the Android version even received a proper release. :/

HahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW.

So that entire goddamn frame is saying one thing and demonstrating the polar opposite.

Japan's game industry summed up in one picture, bloody amazing.

Floex

You would have thought Shenmue 1 & 2 HD would be a shoo-in with this new strategy.

Always amazes me when I see a Sega topic like this, like many of us, there is a goldmine of IP and hits in Sega's collection that need attention. It brings out so much nostalgia in us! There's certainly a market for them.

Yeah a lot of people who want Shinobi revived just think it needs a deep combat engine and call it a day but Shinobi wasn't just fighting off flying demon ninjas. The things that killed you most in those games weren't the enemies, it was the traps and bottomless pits and a Platinum Shinobi won't be what I want unless they nail the platforming.
I thought Bayonetta and Automata had some decent platforming. Shinobi could even use a mix of 2D and 3D like NieR does. Sure, they'd have to step up the platforming a bit, but I think Platinum is more than capable.

This is all a pipe dream, anyway.

Would actually love to see Sega have a "powerhouse" series in the market again to rival other studios' powerhouses. Maybe a return of the Phantasy Star (not PSO, but a more traditional RPG) or OG Shining (that can compete with Fire Emblem). Though considering all the classic IPs Sega has, I'd love a LOT of love directed to a LOT of them in general.

WAIT a FUCK, Atlus is owned by Sega. Get them on board to do the RPGs. They fuckin' still got it, and I can imagine a NEW PS game handled by Atlus (given an anime-ish look) could be one sweet deal!

Speely

Banned
Would actually love to see Sega have a "powerhouse" series in the market again to rival other studios' powerhouses. Maybe a return of the Phantasy Star (not PSO, but a more traditional RPG) or OG Shining (that can compete with Fire Emblem). Though considering all the classic IPs Sega has, I'd love a LOT of love directed to a LOT of them in general.

WAIT a FUCK, Atlus is owned by Sega. Get them on board to do the RPGs. They fuckin' still got it, and I can imagine a NEW PS game handled by Atlus (given an anime-ish look) could be one sweet deal!

Atlus does what Atlus wants. Sega can't just throw projects at them. That said, I would love to see what they could do with a Shining or PS title. Yum.

So that entire goddamn frame is saying one thing and demonstrating the polar opposite.

I was about to mention that too like "Wait didn't Chain Chronicle already shut down", but then I saw it's CC3 and that CC shutting down was the Western/Global version.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I haven't played a Shining Force game and I'm not all clear on their development history, but those could work in today's environment right? All I know is most of the mare strategy RPGs. SEGA would even have a couple options on where to take it.

It could have either Overworks (or whatever the Valkyria team is called now) or Creative Assembly work on it. For Switch and/or PC respectively.

Valkyria Chronicles was (to the best of my knowledge) made by a combination of people from Wow Entertainment and Overworks. They split off into the present-day AM R&D Dept. 1 and CS 3 R&D. The former most recently has worked on Code of Joker for Japanese arcades and cell phones and StarHorse Pocket for cell phones (they also made Chain Chronicle four years ago); the latter makes Hatsune Miku games and works with outside developers who are making games for Sega (and they're apparently working on a Virtual-On game for PS4 and Vita set for 2018).

Really could use a port of JSR Future. I think the only way to play this game is on the original hardware.

Would be down for some sort of VF based crossover fighter too (Megamix!)

NolbertoS

I wish Nintendo would buy Sega from Sammy. I'm sure Nintendo would do wonders with all those IP's. I want a new Skies, Golden Axe. Shinobi, altered beast, streets of rage, PSO ,Sega. Make it happen

PrimeTime

I've had a totally unhealthy love for Sega over the years so I hope they do really well with this plan. I also hope they keep their Arcade DNA and infuse it in future console titles.

chrono01

Well, both Chain Chronicle and Hortensia Saga are still going strong in Japan (the latter even received an Attack on Titan collaboration recently). It's just the Global versions that suffered, mostly because Sega mishandled things. It's why I find their mention of their plans to"create bigger global hits" in the mobile market to be ironic, since they can't seem to ever do things right there.

I mean, they didn't really have a reason to close down Chain Chronicle. It was decently popular, much more so than the other mobile games (by smaller companies) that seem to live on. Hortensia Saga wasn't even given a chance. War Pirates, another Sega-developed game, is still going, but judging by the pace of new content, it's only a matter of time before that one closes down too.

In short? Don't bother investing your time (and, more importantly, your money) in Sega's global gatcha games. They clearly don't have an interest in any longevity with them.

Blueblur1

Well, both Chain Chronicle and Hortensia Saga are still going strong in Japan (the latter even received an Attack on Titan collaboration recently). It's just the Global versions that suffered, mostly because Sega mishandled things. It's why I find their mention of their plans to"create bigger global hits" in the mobile market to be ironic, since they can't seem to ever do things right there.

I mean, they didn't really have a reason to close down Chain Chronicle. It was decently popular, much more so than the other mobile games (by smaller companies) that seem to live on. Hortensia Saga wasn't even given a chance. War Pirates, another Sega-developed game, is still going, but judging by the pace of new content, it's only a matter of time before that one closes down too.

In short? Don't bother investing your time (and, more importantly, your money) in Sega's global gatcha games. They clearly don't have an interest in any longevity with them.

I believe that's the point of the slide. They want to do better with what they consider will be next generation titles. Maybe direct sequels to the games shown (give me PSO3, please) or new mobile games.

Some Nobody

Yo, I want a new Phantasy Star. I can't think of a single RPG on the market like that right now, so if you got the right people behind it I can see it seeing some success.

chrono01

I believe that's the point of the slide. They want to do better with what they consider will be next generation titles. Maybe direct sequels to the games shown (give me PSO3, please) or new mobile games.
Let's hope so.

I really enjoyed Chain Chronicle, its closure really hit me hard. We just received the V2 update too. :(

Top Bottom